wasting coils - what am i doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanswurst31

May 25, 2018
hey guys,

so i have an istick 20w and a gs tank. first i had the problem that the coils gunked up within hours. ive researched and found out that its probebly the sugar in the liquid. so i decided to mix my own liq. base is pg55/vs35/h2o10 and 12 mg nicotin. ratio was 40/60 but i added more base because the taste was to harsh. so its propably 50/50 right now. since then the coils dont gunk up anymore but after 2-12 hours it feels like they are clocked up a little eventhough i literally soak them in liq, wait 5 minutes, pull without pressing power a few times, starting the first few hits with the lowest wattage and wait again for 5 minutes. it takes about 1,5x the time to generate the same amount of vape and they start tasting harsh. not neccecarely burned.

i guess im chain vaping? i usualy take 1 to 2 hits. 5-10 sec between hits each hit takes usualy 3 seconds. then i wait 20 sec. i red that this behavior shouldnt be a problem.

are the coils for the gs tank crap?

im new to vaping and i already wasted 30 euros on this "experiment".
how can i find out whhic tank i can use with the istick 20? i red that the socket is the same but i wonder if i dont have to consider how much ohm it has to be?

i guess for my vape behavior it would be the best to use an rba and build my own coils? could you suggest me something good please? it shoudl generate alot of vape and shoudl have a good thought kick.

another question that i have is what are the differences it makes when i use a mod with more wattage?

thx

Last edited:

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
First, are you priming the coils? Are you breaking them in gently? Those first steps will get you better coil life. Also, running them at the proper watts, not too low or too high.

Rebuildables do last longer than drop ins, but I don’t think you’re going to have a lot of luck building for an istick 20. You might want something with a little more power. Even a Pico 75 should do.

But really, I’d tell you to learn what you have first. It gets more complicated the further in you go.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
hey guys,

so i have an istick 20w and a gs tank. first i had the problem that the coils gunked up within hours. ive researched and found out that its probebly the sugar in the liquid. so i decided to mix my own liq. base is pg55/vs35/h2o10 and 12 mg nicotin. ratio was 40/60 but i added more base because the taste was to harsh. so its propably 50/50 right now. since then the coils dont gunk up anymore but after 2-12 hours it feels like they are clocked up a little eventhough i literally soak them in liq, wait 5 minutes, pull without pressing power a few times, starting the first few hits with the lowest wattage and wait again for 5 minutes. it takes about 1,5x the time to generate the same amount of vape the first coil i used with the new liq even made my tonge burn(i added a few drops of the sugary liq in the tank though).

i guess im chain vaping? i usualy take 1 to 2 hits. 5-10 sec between hits each hit takes usualy 3 seconds. then i wait 20 sec. i red that this behavior shouldnt be a problem.

are the coils for the gs tank crap?

im new to vaping and i already wasted 30 euros on this "experiment".
how can i find out whhic tank i can use with the istick 20? i red that the socket is the same but i wonder if i dont have to consider how much ohm it has to be?

i guess for my vape behavior it would be the best to use an rba and build my own coils? could you suggest me something good please? it shoudl generate alot of vape and shoudl have a good thought kick.

another question that i have is what are the differences it makes when i use a mod with more wattage?

thx

Hi and welcome,

Which coils are you using, what is the resistance?
How many watts are you using?

Cheers
I

hanswurst31

May 25, 2018
@DeloresRose
yes i do prime them and starting with a low wattage wait a bit and then go higher.

@Izan

they are from eleafe 1,5ohm. i tried it with between 6-8watts.

@Ionori

from augvape?

@All i forgoot to mantion i inhale direct to lung. could this also be a problem? becaus ei found out that the gstank is a mouth to lung tank.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
If I understand;
Your liquid is 55% PG / 35% VG / 10% h2O ?
Is that correct?
If so why are you using water?
Tap water or distilled?
50/50 should wick very well in your delivery device with no thinning necessary.
I find liquids containing h20 to be harsher than those that don't.
That is unless you're using h20 to thin high % Vg.
Are you using flavorings suitable for vaping?
Pg, Vg or alcohol based.

The istick 20 has very poor power regulation, it doesn't buck/reduce voltage below battery charge level.
So fully charged it supplies more power to the delivery device than the display shows.

I'd try 50/50 and wide open airflow and a slower smoother less strong inhale.

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Yes, you are correct.
That MTL tank, with that coil, is not going to give you a DTL hit AND smile back at you.
Are you dual using or have you quit smoking recently?
Have you tried any of the other resistances of GS coil? 1.2Ω or .75Ω?

Where are you located?

Cheers
I

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
@DeloresRose
yes i do prime them and starting with a low wattage wait a bit and then go higher.

@Izan

they are from eleafe 1,5ohm. i tried it with between 6-8watts.

@Ionori

from augvape?

@All i forgoot to mantion i inhale direct to lung. could this also be a problem? becaus ei found out that the gstank is a mouth to lung tank.

I’m using a 1.6 at 10 watts. 6-8 is on the low side, and might be fouling the coils. It’s a fine line, getting between not hot enough to vaporize the liquid, and so hot it burns them.

hanswurst31

May 25, 2018
i quit smokin 1,5 have years ago and also didnt vape since then. i just started vaping last week. live is a bit troubled right now :D
i didnt even know that there could be coils with lower resistance. i went to two local shops and in both i had the feeling that they just want to sell me theyre last crap. do you think that could make the difference. i relly dont want to spent more money on coils at this rate. i would rater buy a new tank and eventualy a new mod if neccecary.

im from germany.

hanswurst31

May 25, 2018
IMG_20180525_230214.jpg
I've seen dozens & dozens of tractor trailer loads of 55 gallon barrels & 275 gallon totes of nicotine.
I've never seen any that contain water on the label.

I'd try to obtain nicotine in pg or pg/Vg base.

50/50 should wick very well.

bwh79

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2014
Oregon
the the base included water as well so im just using the vape in nicotin in a 50/50 ratio..
So your liquid that you've made is:

50% "mix of 55% PG / 35% VG / 10% H2O" and
50% "12mg nicotine in [pg/vg/mix of both??]"

...is that correct? What's the pg/vg ratio of the 12mg nic base?

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
i quit smokin 1,5 have years ago and also didnt vape since then. i just started vaping last week. live is a bit troubled right now :D
i didnt even know that there could be coils with lower resistance. i went to two local shops and in both i had the feeling that they just want to sell me theyre last crap. do you think that could make the difference. i relly dont want to spent more money on coils at this rate. i would rater buy a new tank and eventualy a new mod if neccecary.

im from germany.
I see,
A lower resistance and greater watts will deliver (in general) more vapor and, by default, more nicotine. It might give you more of the DTL you are looking for while you research a new set up.
I would love to suggest some options, but if your shops don't have the products, it does you little good.
Do you recall any of the products or options they offered?
Do you have the option to order on-line (bank/card /payal) ?

Welcome to ECF.
I

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@hanswurst31 - Since you like DTL, IMO, if you use an RDA or an RBA, with a 1.0ohm coil (can't go lower on 20W iStick)...depending on the airflow control, you should be able to get a decent amount of vapor with it. Wont' be huge clouds, but should be acceptable. Adjusting your VG/PG ratio to higher VG (maybe 70VG/30PG) will help produce more vapor, too.

I use a Berserker MTL RTA on my iStick 20W mods, at a puny little 8W or less, using a 1.0-1.8ohm coil in them. I still get a decent amount of vapor to satisfy me then!

But, to try a cheaper route first - I'd try getting some eliquid in the higher VG/PG ratio like I mentioned above. Then try an Eleaf GS Air 1.2ohm coil in your tank, at higher than your usual 6-8W, to see what kind of vapor you get with it.

Ionori

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2017
    There's nothing wrong with 10% distilled water in e-liquid, it actually significantly reduces the amount of harmful chemicals produced when vaping.

Apparently the iStick 20W is overpowered (delivers more watts than it should), maybe try lowering the voltage further if possible. A poorly regulated device like that is going to limit your options a lot, you may end up having to buy another one.

If you have some of the old heads on you, you should take out the coil and the cotton and post pictures of them, along with an estimated number of puffs you made using that coil, that may help to identify the problem.

IgnorantCig

ECF Veteran
    Mar 31, 2015
    new york
    I've never used an iStick or any of the coils for it before, so I can not and will not comment on that, but after reading that the OP likes DTL, and they also mentioned about how their coils couldn't handle the juice that they were using, then it seems to me that they are maybe using the wrong device.

All I use is commercial juice, the very high VG juice and flavors that are known for being bad for coils, and all I use are commercial coils also, roughly one every 7-10 days.

Why not get a higher powered DTL device, that's made for how the OP prefers to vape. A good commercial coil should be able to handle any kind of juice imo, and it should provide both decent taste and decent clouds.

And the OP mentioned that they wasted 30 euros for the "experiment".

To that, I say big deal, because that's only the cost of a few packs of cigs. In the beginning, you'll just have to experiment a bit to find the right equipment and way of vaping that suits you best. I did plenty of "experimenting" too in the beginning, when I was new to vaping. It's all part of the journey.

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    There's nothing wrong with 10% distilled water in e-liquid, it actually significantly reduces the amount of harmful chemicals produced when vaping.
    What harmful chemicals are you speaking of, and what evidence do you have that water reduces the amount?

Apparently the iStick 20W is overpowered (delivers more watts than it should), maybe try lowering the voltage further if possible.
    That would not solve the problem. The iStick 20 Watt can not "buck" the voltage/wattage down lower than the remaining voltage of the battery.

upload_2015-7-6_10-46-36-png.469194

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread