wasting coils - what am i doing wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ionori

ECF Veteran
  • Mar 26, 2017
    What harmful chemicals are you speaking of, and what evidence do you have that water reduces the amount?

Formaldehyde Levels in a real atty under real conditions. | E-Cigarette Forum

That would not solve the problem. The istick 20 Watt can not "buck" the voltage/wattage down lower than the remaining voltage of the battery.

That's not the impression I got from PBusardo's video on this device, it looks like the device is effectively lowering output voltage by using pulse width modulation, but doesn't do a very good job of it.

Reactions: stols001

Baditude

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 8, 2012
    Ridgeway, Ohio
    After reading the entire article, I only found one mention concerning distilled water.

"So, here are my bottom line results, they were not nearly as severe as some of the unrealistic studies floating around.
    • Below 440f vaping is relatively formaldehyde free (flavorings not included)
    • Above 480f is appears that the 90\10 VG\DW was the safest, which makes perfect sense if you look at the boiling point which is 281f. Even 5% DW would lower the boiling point to 332f and be way below the danger zone."
    To my understanding, this was a test that was specific to measuring formaldehyde levels in vapor. The study showed that vaping was formaldehyde-free unless the vaping was being done at high temperature (above 480F). I doubt that the original poster was getting to that danger zone with an iStick 20W.

But thanks for linking the study. :)

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    Well, it sounds like there are varying possible things going on, and the common thread seems to be perhaps your inhale.

I agree that rebuildables are far cheaper and it's a useful and worthy goal to strive for, but I (personally) would like to see you with at least one drop in coil setup that is working for you, because rebuilding does take time, practice, tools (if you are me, a coilmaster kit, although it can be done more inexpensively) and you don't even know what kind of vaper you 'are" yet, so to speak, so selecting the right type of rebuildable tank would be tough.

I'd recommend a sub0hm setup, maybe something that can provide you with a range of coils (the Uwell Crown would not be a bad choice at all and the coils come in man resistances, from quite low all the way to 1.2 although it's set up with airflow and drip tip more like a Direct Lung tank which it seem you prefer the draw of. It may require the purchase of a more powerful box mod, but you could put a rebuildable tank on that box mod when you get there, and having at least one backup setup is recommended anyway.

Unfortunately (although it is a fun journey in my opinion) vaping is a journey, and it may take SOME experimentation to find out what you like in a vape. You might enjoy a 0.5 coil, not a 0.15 one, for example, you just may need a more versatile tank with more airflow options to compensate for how you draw, and etc.

I was the opposite, I came here with a pretty sub0hm setup that just wasn't working for me. I found out I vastly prefer MTL. I don't regret some of my initial (not for me purchases) because they really got me to a place where vaping is working well.

I just sort of have a feeling that the setup you have now is maybe not for you. But, there are other setups out there that may be perfect for you and how you like to inhale, where you won't be burning out coils every ten minutes and etc.

Welcome.

Anna

hanswurst31

May 25, 2018
    guys thx very much. i just raised the voltage to around 12 watts and its seems that everything is fine now. after stoping vaping for some hours it tasted harsh though but i red that this should be normal.

@bwh79

50/50

@Izan

yes of course. i always order online. only when its has to be immidiet i go offline shopping.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    guys thx very much. i just raised the voltage to around 12 watts and its seems that everything is fine now. after stoping vaping for some hours it tasted harsh though but i red that this should be normal.

@bwh79

50/50

@Izan

yes of course. i always order online. only when its has to be immidiet i go offline shopping.

Glad you got it sorted. Just an fyi, but my husband vapes 1.6 ohm aspire heads on a different device at 11 watts, so i would assume so long as your in that range even on a different device you should be fine.

As far as money - you learn a lot about vaping with your first device as well as what works for you.

Keep this device as long as possible, and make a concerted effort to learn as much as possible that way you can make an informed choice and get the perfect mod for you when you graduate from this one.

Good luck to you..

SomethingElse

May 8, 2018
    30 mi. WSW of CLE
    Hi @hanswurst31 and welcome to ECF. I think you've already received a lot of good advice in the comments to this point but I'd like to offer a somewhat different slant. I read in your initial post that you're "new" to vaping but had quit cigarettes some time ago and that's GREAT. However, being new to vaping, as I'm sure you've noticed, the choices and options are nearly mind-boggling. Five years ago I tried quitting cigarettes using "cigalike" vaping devices (MTL, mouth-to-lung, like "smoking") from a couple of different vendors. Didn't work for long and I went back to real cigarettes. About a year ago, I tried quitting cigarettes again using a SMOK Qbox and TWO Vaporesso Tarot Nanos and doing DL (direct-lung) hits. Again, didn't work for long. A few weeks ago I started another attempt to quit cigarettes with a Vaporesso Nexus. Over the past 3 weeks with this device I've had absolutely NO problems and I'm reaching for it, rather than a cigarette, more and more each day. (I'm down to less than half of my previous cigarette consumption.) The juice "mixes" I've had in it (an initial fill and 2 refills so far) have been 50/50 PG/VG to about 20/80 PG/VG and I've had no trouble with MTL. Minor exceptions are that the air-holes on the chimney have had to be NEARLY closed completely and, after the 1st fill and 1st refill only, there was a little "gurgling" when hitting it which was quickly remedied by sticking a twisted corner of a paper towel down the chimney. After the 2nd refill, no problem. The MAIN reason I bring this up for your consideration is 1) the Nexus and replacement coils are pretty "cheap" compared to a lot of other devices, 2) even from completely "dead" it recharges in less than 45 minutes and 3) I have seen some YouTube videos indicating that, with the air-holes wide open, you CAN do DL vaping with it, though I haven't tried that myself. (I'm happy with the MTL "results" I'm getting.) I sincerely hope I haven't added to your confusion and wish you the best of luck resolving your issues.

SomethingElse

May 8, 2018
    30 mi. WSW of CLE
    thx for your response. yes will do it. its a process of quitting. i myselfe had a lot of atttampts and a few times even over a year but started again.

You are, of course, quite welcome and, in "full disclosure," I have absolutely NO affiliation with ANY manufacturer or vendor anywhere on this 3rd rock. Nonetheless, I do have at least some "clue" about what HAS NOT worked, FOR ME, and what currently seems to be "turning the trick." I also noticed that you mentioned earlier that "live is a bit troubled right now" and I know I can relate to that fully and would surmise there are more than a few members of this forum who "get it," too. So, with the hope that the following does NOT add to your woes, I think I have to mention something else. What seems to be giving me the "satisfaction" that I seemed to be "missing" in earlier attempts are the juices I'm now using in my Nexus. It was about a 4-5 weeks ago I "found" myself looking at this forum (in more time than I can remember) and I learned about NET and WTA for the first time. As you may already know, "NET" means Naturally Extracted Tobacco and "WTA" refers to Whole Tobacco Alkaloids. _IF_ you are not familiar with these terms/products, I highly recommend searching this entire forum for references, you'll learn a LOT. I know I did. Anyway, I'm virtually certain that my use of a NET juice combined with a WTA juice in my Nexus is a BIG factor in my current "satisfaction level" and my ever decreasing reliance on cigarettes. Of course, only time will tell but I've developed enough confidence in this combination that I've recently ordered 3 more Nexuses (and replacement coils) as well as more NET and WTA. I'm still "experimenting" with ratios to find my "perfect fit" but I'm convinced, now, that it is within reach and I'll be able to quit cigarettes for good. Again, I hope this doesn't give you "information overload" and, as always, I wish you the best of luck in finding your "perfect" fit (without spending too many Euros).

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread