Status
Not open for further replies.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
My short response to your last line of the post: No, don't.

I'm not real tech savvy, and my IPad is a hand me down from my wife, it's probably eight years old now. Since the move, I cannot see avatars and the like buttons are invisible. I also cannot see emojis within posts. This has made my experience here somewhat less than desirable, and frustrating.

Sometimes I can refresh a page anywhere from 5-10 times to get the stuff mentioned to load properly. I can also tap on where the like buttons should be, and the rainbow one will will pop up, then I can undo rating and the rating icons will display.

In my case this move has been a total fail, and it has ruined my enjoyment of this fine community...my enthusiasm is waning, and I really don't think I'll be here much longer.

Thanks for all the good times along the way, it has been a blast...

halfempty

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2014
Miami, FL
In my case this move has been a total fail, and it has ruined my enjoyment of this fine community...my enthusiasm is waning, and I really don't think I'll be here much longer.

but I feel like I'm being punished because I don't have the latest and greatest software and equipment.
A lot of us are in the same boat. At least I'm techie enough to disable a bunch of stuff so the experience is not overly painful. I can't see icons, get notifications, reply to posts without some re-configuring, etc. Guess us old folks are just not the target audience.

If these things happened everywhere I could understand that my system just doesn't cut it anymore, but it works fine everywhere else. Oh well. :cry:

1/2 fast

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2013
SW Ohio
Exactly the same thing I go through on my iPad. And I also share your feelings of moving on. I'm sad because I've made many many friends here but I feel like I'm being punished because I don't have the latest and greatest software and equipment. I was advised to update my Safari which would require hooking up my iPad to a computer which I don't have access to or installing Firefox which isn't an option because I don't have that much storage left and don't want to use it up installing another web browser because Safari works just fine for any other site I visit.

Reading about your and ENAUD's iPad issues I dug out my old iPad 2 and found the same problems you are having. It's running iOS 9.3.5 which is the last update the old iPads will take. My every day interwebz device is an iPad air2 with the latest iOS (11. something) with no issues (at least when the forum has been functional of late).
Wish I could have found something to help. It does seem like a lot of problems were created just to add a few transparent buttons though.

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Reading about your and ENAUD's iPad issues I dug out my old iPad 2 and found the same problems you are having. It's running iOS 9.3.5 which is the last update the old iPads will take. My every day interwebz device is an iPad air2 with the latest iOS (11. something) with no issues (at least when the forum has been functional of late).
Wish I could have found something to help. It does seem like a lot of problems were created just to add a few transparent buttons though.
I've noticed sometimes I don't post where I normally would have if i had been restricted to just a "like".

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
For what? More silly icons, round avatars and a pulsating dot? Please somebody convince me that it's all worth it. :cry:

Exactly the same thing I go through on my iPad. And I also share your feelings of moving on. I'm sad because I've made many many friends here but I feel like I'm being punished because I don't have the latest and greatest software and equipment. I was advised to update my Safari which would require hooking up my iPad to a computer which I don't have access to or installing Firefox which isn't an option because I don't have that much storage left and don't want to use it up installing another web browser because Safari works just fine for any other site I visit.

Couldn't agree more with you both . . . :thumbs: + 1000

Finally had to return back to the older "ECF" theme . . . ;)

a green big pulsating dot right above your avatar, dear, to let me know that you're online. ;) I disabled mine.

I brought up that annoying pulsating Green dot previously . . . Was told no one but ECF Administration could see I was online . . . However, I can still see it if I use the new theme and find it extreamly distracting - So please share and tell "Me" how it can be disabled . . . ;)

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
You can go to your Preferences page. Part way down is a box to "Show your online status." Clear that box and it will go away - for your avi.

Further down, you can set "Disable who's online" to yes, and that will, I think, get rid of it elsewhere.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
You can go to your Preferences page. Part way down is a box to "Show your online status." Clear that box and it will go away - for your avi.

Further down, you can set "Disable who's online" to yes, and that will, I think, get rid of it elsewhere.

Thanks for the info. . . :thumb:

However both those "options" were done a long time ago - still pulsing away . . . :(

Anyway, Thankfully I don't have to see it anymore, gonna stay with the olde ECF theme . . . :)

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
I brought up that annoying pulsating Green dot previously . . . Was told no one but ECF Administration could see I was online . . . However, I can still see it if I use the new theme and find it extreamly distracting - So please share and tell "Me" how it can be disabled . . . ;)

Alas, the Admin is correct. If you disable your online dot, nobody else can see it but you (and the Admin). :facepalm: Not sure why, but it's the same deal in the other skins that just sport a tiny green stationary triangle--but that one is small, discreet and doesn't move! :D

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal

I disabled who's on line, too--didn't disable anything. But like I said, it doesn't bother me in the olde ECF skin, where I reside.

tiburonfirst

They call me 'Tibs"
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
Alas, the Admin is correct. If you disable your online dot, nobody else can see it but you (and the Admin). :facepalm: Not sure why, but it's the same deal in the other skins that just sport a tiny green stationary triangle--but that one is small, discreet and doesn't move! :D
now imagine a whole page of posters who did not disable their dot ..............................

enough said! :shock:

• Winner
Reactions: Letitia

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida

You see it and staff sees it - no one else does if you choose to go invisible :)
(your online status has always been that way)

:wub:

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
You see it and staff sees it - no one else does if you choose to go invisible :)

Right.

Classy, since you're here; I've been asking but never got an answer. Is the Search by Relevance option gone forever?

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011

Yep - I remember Ya' said that before . . . :)

But the new Pulsing "GREEN" Dot is still extreamly annoying . . . :-x

This is similar to what see in my peripheral vision . . .

roundgreen-1.gif~c200

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread