What battery to get, and how to charge it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julie Kelsey

May 6, 2020
Hello beautiful people of the internet. I have a question I was hoping someone who knows things could answer, here we go.

I was looking around the internet for a mod that I like, and I found the smok G Priv Baby Luxe. It said I need a 18650 battery (I had never heard of such a thing) so I go looking aI find one called "Samsung INR 18650 20A 2500mAh Lithium Ion Battery 3.7V 25R", and considering I like my face perfectly intact like is is now, I was sceptical if this would be the right one for the "Baby Luxe". How many volts should it be? How I would even charge it, can I charge it via the vape? When, if all, do I need to take it out for some reason. I'm on a budget right now so shelling out a whole bunch of money isn't ideal. Here's hoping someone can help me. ♥ Julie.

Last edited:

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
You picked a great place to ask. We have some real battery experts here, including a guy called Mooch who not only explains all sorts of battery-related information on his blog but also tests the batteries we tend to use for vaping.

About the voltage, all the 18650s we usually use for vaping have a nominal voltage of 3.6 or 3.7. A battery's voltage goes up when it's charged and down as it's discharged, so it actually varies from 4.2 volts when fully charged to about 3.2, which is where most mods will give you a low battery warning.

On to finding a suitable battery:

I'll start out with a few key points:
  • 18650s aren't like AAs where they're all pretty much the same. One model of 18650 might work well for vaping, while another will have completely different specifications and not be suitable at all.
  • 18650s are often counterfeited, so where you buy the battery can be as important as which battery you buy. Even reliable vendors can be taken in, but they really reduce the risk by building better supply chains and by spot-checking the performance of the batteries they source.
  • You also can't trust the specifications of many of the batteries that are available. The best way to deal with this issue is to stick to major/reliable brands (Sony/Murata, LG, Samsung, Sanyo/Panasonic, and Molicel)

What you need to know to pick a battery:

18650s have two key ratings, CDR (continuous discharge rating) and capacity. CDR, in amps, tells you what wattage you can vape at. Capacity, in mAh, gives a rough comparison of how long different batteries will go between charges. The higher the capacity, the longer it will last.

CDR is the most important. The rule of thumb is that your wattage can go up to three times the CDR per battery. The cell you listed has a 20A CDR. That means you can vape at up to 60 watts on a one battery mod or 120 watts on a two battery mod. However, if you're getting close to the limit, you'll usually get better performance from a battery with a higher CDR.

There are many battery models from the manufacturers I listed above that are suitable for vaping (and many that aren't), but the easiest way to pick one is to let someone else do the work. Mooch's list of recommended batteries is a great place to start. So, to pick a battery:

1. Decide what wattage you want to vape at, and figure out your minimum CDR.
  2. Go to Mooch's Regulated Mod Recommended Batteries Table and see which 18650s there have a CDR that works for you.
  3. Check the blue row near the bottom of Mooch's table for a list of reliable vendors, and buy your batteries from one of them.

Other notes:
  • Batteries can be charged in the mod or with an external charger. Mooch and others recommend the external charger. Chargers can be purchased from the battery vendors on Mooch's chart, and generally reliable manufacturers include Xtar, Nitecore and Efest's LUC line (be careful of other lines by Efest - at least one's been found to have problems).
  • I suggest picking up a few battery wraps when you get your batteries. The wrap is the plastic sleeve that covers the battery. It's easily damaged but essential for safety. The good news is that replacing it takes a 10-cent battery wrap, a hair dryer, and about 4 minutes of your time. There are lots of helpful videos on Youtube. Also, check your wraps for damage whenever you take them out to charge them.
  • Never carry a battery loose. If it's not in your mod or being charged, it should be in a battery case (available for a couple dollars wherever you bought the battery).
  • Never use a battery that's dented or otherwise damaged.

Finally, here are some resources for more information:
Good luck!

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Interestingly, most of the legit sellers ARE less expensive.

As far as charging, most people do not charge their batteries using the USB port. You can in a pinch but it has some disadvantages, including wear and tear on the mod, really they can overheat and sometimes be less safe. If you have a two battery mod they will sometimes charge unevenly. I started with a 2 bay nitcore and it held up well until I accidentally tripped and stepped on it. Now I have a 4 bay nitecore and I like it because they don't charge to fast. I won an Xtar charger that has more dials and measurements than my car, but it charges my batteries unreasonably fast and then "tops them up" if they drop a milliamp or whatever batteries do below 4.2.

You can pick up a charger pretty cheaply especially if willing to get an older model (which I usually am) just don't get anything with "Fire" in the name, like "Trustfire" for example, but you could get a decently reviewed older charger for 20 bucks, probably.

IDK I'm no expert when it comes to chargers OR batteries, so ask the experts but I did want to mention it.

Anna

Julie Kelsey

May 6, 2020
I love your profile picture, if that's your dog, he's adorable! But i think that about most dogs lol.
Interestingly, most of the legit sellers ARE less expensive.

As far as charging, most people do not charge their batteries using the USB port. You can in a pinch but it has some disadvantages, including wear and tear on the mod, really they can overheat and sometimes be less safe. If you have a two battery mod they will sometimes charge unevenly. I started with a 2 bay nitcore and it held up well until I accidentally tripped and stepped on it. Now I have a 4 bay nitecore and I like it because they don't charge to fast. I won an Xtar charger that has more dials and measurements than my car, but it charges my batteries unreasonably fast and then "tops them up" if they drop a milliamp or whatever batteries do below 4.2.

You can pick up a charger pretty cheaply especially if willing to get an older model (which I usually am) just don't get anything with "Fire" in the name, like "Trustfire" for example, but you could get a decently reviewed older charger for 20 bucks, probably.

IDK I'm no expert when it comes to chargers OR batteries, so ask the experts but I did want to mention it.

Anna
Thank you sweetheart! I will definitely remember that when I'm doing searching.

Reactions: stols001

ppeeble

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Poole UK
What stols001 said EXCEPT the bit about Trustfire chargers - Trustfire batteries are heavily critised on most sites due to the amount of forgeries available and the poor quality control of other '....fire' named batteries. SuperFire, FandyFire, UltraFire, CrappyFire (i made that one up but who knows) etc. AFAIK genuine TrustFire chargers do not have the same bad reputation. Needless, always buy from a reputable source.
Also - you may want to look at manufacturers of vaping devices other than Smok. Or maybe search 'Smok' in this forum for helpful information :rolleyes:

Robbert

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Aug 1, 2016
    Thanks again! But are you sure they're legit at that low of a price? Most ones I seen were $8 to $12.
    I’ve used them for years and have gotten all authentic batteries.
    I think someone reviewed them and found they don’t relabel or rewrap cells.
    They carry good chargers also.

Hawise

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 25, 2013
    AB, Canada
    Thanks again! But are you sure they're legit at that low of a price? Most ones I seen were $8 to $12.

I'll second the folks who've said that Liion Wholesale is legit - it's even on Mooch's vendor list. Dedicated battery shops are often cheaper than vape shops. eBay, Alibaba and Amazon can sometimes be cheaper still, but that's mostly because counterfeits are abundant there. Avoiding them like the plague is an essential step in keeping your face intact.

The Samsung 25R is a very good battery. For what it's worth, the most commonly used good batteries are probably:
    • Samsung 30Q (15A, 3000 mAh)
    • LG HG2 (20A, 3000 mAh)
    • Sony/Murata VTC6 (15A, 3000 mAh)
    As long as you're staying under 45 watts per battery, most people I know stick with those three as they've got a good mix of CDR and capacity. They're also easier to find than some others.

You'll have to sacrifice a bit of capacity if you want to vape at higher wattages, but there are 18650s that can go up to 75 watts (25 amp CDR) or even 90 watts (30 amp CDR) per battery. You can find them listed in Mooch's 'High Power 18650' column.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread