• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

What did Jesus have to say about the rapture?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
"The Rapture" was not taught in Christian churches anywhere until about 100 years ago.
The term rapture may not have been used as that is a Latin term only recently used. But that is the literal meaning of "caught up." The Latin word rapto means "to seize, to carry off"; and from it we get our English word rapture. The Greek word in Scripture is harpadzo.

The idea of the rapture, or snatching, or catching up was taught by the Apostles.

1 Cor 15:51-52
51 Behold, I tell you a mystery; we will not all sleep, but we will all be changed,
52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed.

1 Thess 4:17
Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord.

So to say it was not taught until 100 years ago is just an error. It has been taught for almost 2000 years. It is what Paul comforted those with who were told that Jesus had already returned.

Choose your battles, choose your battles, choose your battles... Ya I know.

Last edited:

trukinlady

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2010
Missouri, USA
I would like to respectfully point out the sticky that Zambucalu posted about the guidelines of this forum. This is a place for fellowship, not debate. I'm happy to share my beliefs, and hear others' beliefs, but I don't feel it is necessary for me, or anyone else, to justify, or defend those same beliefs. Such things are better left to the Outside forum. They have no place here.

HyOnLyph

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I apologize for taking so long to respond. I've had a lot going on in my life lately. Now, to address your statement:

I posted what God laid on my heart to post. I don't know why He did so, only that He did lead me to post it. For His purpose. I wouldn't have done so otherwise, because it isn't about me or my opinions.

That being said, for clarity, I'll NOT address the other points that have been brought up in the thread in my next post.

I understand that you thought God laid it on your heart to post your belief ... but when it is really God that lays something on your heart, it is consistent with scripture and what he teaches. I have no problem with you. You seem to be a fine sincere person. But God does not "lay on our hearts" to do things when he has clearly taught otherwise. We all have moments when we believe God has laid something on our hearts... but our guage of whether or not we are right is scripture and the nature of God in general. Publicly calling someone a "wolf in sheeps clothing", simply because you have a feeling or even a Godly discernment, is most assuradely contrary to scripture. You may have discerned accurately. But public proclamation was not appropriate.

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
I understand what you mean, Trukinlady. This was a happier forum until we went public. I can see both sides of the coin, but I miss the old days.....and I'm talking about maybe a month ago! :laugh: I realize we voted on this, but I also see what it's doing to the board. In some ways, it's turning into the Outside. We are not fellowshipping anymore.....we're sniping at each other. That is what satan does best.....to turn each other on each other. I'm guilty of this as well! If I have offended any of my Christian Brothers and Sisters, I am truly, sincerely sorry. I am going to put this out there. If there were another vote, I'd vote no, because we as Christians need an oasis from the world where we can learn and exist together......to ENJOY fellowshipping once again. :)

HyOnLyph

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
With regards to discussing and debating scripture... I didn't remember reading that. If that's the rules, I'm glad to comply. It's a little bit difficult to speak a viewpoint without being challenged and then to withhold defense of that viewpoint is even more difficult. But you are right. When a position is "judged" it is much more difficult to remain at peace. I admit that I've erred. If the original intention of this community was for fellowship without debate, then I will gladly comply and receive correction if I step over the boundaries. Thanks, truckinlady for pointing it out.

So, If I understand this correctly... we can post our point of view. But we should refrain from challenging other people's beliefs or understanding of scripture i.e. "that isn't what the Bible says!") ... AND if challenged, we should refrain from entering into a debate in defence of our beliefs. Is that correct?

Sort of an attitude of acceptance ... realizing that it is not our place to point out error or truth but only to love.

(I will say, that it appears that many of the threads seem to be started for the purpose of encouraging debate/discussion but I suppose, in the spirit of the community, it could be to gather a variety of thoughts without debating "who's right". I'm good with that. Sounds healthy to me. )

Last edited:

Southern Gent

ECF Veteran
Oct 18, 2009
Tennessee
Debate should not be deemed as judging. Disagreement should not be deemed as judging. Debate and disagreement are a far cry from condemnation. Most debate is derived from seeking truth and without truth we have no fellowship. Without truth there will be no hope of witnessing in a world where truth is relative to what one believes regardless of it's validity.

knight-jousting.jpg

HyOnLyph

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Debate should not be deemed as judging. Disagreement should not be deemed as judging. Debate and disagreement are a far cry from condemnation. Most debate is derived from seeking truth and without truth we have no fellowship. Without truth there will be no hope of witnessing in a world where truth is relative to what one believes regardless of it's validity.

Perhaps a poor choice of words on my part. There is often a fine line between debate and judgement. It is a matter of the heart. But just because I value a debate, doesn't mean that others do. The definition of Judging aside.... the point was, that they were saying this was not intended to be a site for debate or disagreement and especially not for "proving your point". (my quotes not theirs). And I'm fine with that. It simply lets me know what the groundrules are for this community (providing I understand correctly).

I don't have to prove my position. The Holy Spirit is big enough to handle that on his own. And I'm certainly not dumb enough to think that everything I ponder is truth. However, I do believe that the Spirit is capable of leading me into Truth, no matter where along that path I happen to be today.

There are lots of places to debate... but if this isn't one of them, I'm happy to comply.
Blessings.

Last edited:

LisaLisa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
LOL.......Well, you guys called it on the password vote and I just complied! LOL! But seriously, it is challenging, being a Christian is challenging! Jesus told us it would be. :) He told us to pick up our cross and follow Him :)

I don't mind the heckling from the unbelievers really, I expect it. And, it gives us an opportunity to show them the glory of God, which is a great thing! Look at the positive side, there is always a silver lining to every cloud. :)

I think debate is ok, and actually healthy! We are not a cult here, and we are all adults able to think for ourselves and share ideas and such. The problem only arises when debating theology becomes more important then being loving and kind, and when it leads to separation, hard feelings, and judgments, then that's when it becomes a problem because it really does dull our little lights, and sometimes if it gets really bad, it can snuff out our lights completely. How does that look to outsiders? Not very good.

We are to be a positive example to the world, and we do that by keeping love first and foremost in our words and actions twords eachother and everyone else too. BUT IT'S NOT EASY!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

But, that's why Jesus said the road was narrow and few would find it. :) Let's just make sure that we stay on that narrow road,don't push others off in the mean time, and shine the light and guide the way so that others might find the road too. :)

LisaLisa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
I understand what you mean, Trukinlady. This was a happier forum until we went public. I can see both sides of the coin, but I miss the old days.....and I'm talking about maybe a month ago! :laugh: I realize we voted on this, but I also see what it's doing to the board. In some ways, it's turning into the Outside. We are not fellowshipping anymore.....we're sniping at each other. That is what satan does best.....to turn each other on each other. I'm guilty of this as well! If I have offended any of my Christian Brothers and Sisters, I am truly, sincerely sorry. I am going to put this out there. If there were another vote, I'd vote no, because we as Christians need an oasis from the world where we can learn and exist together......to ENJOY fellowshipping once again. :)

I am also guilty, we all are! I too am sincerely sorry if I have offended anyone. I love all of you so much, and you're all little lights in my life every single day :)

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
I'm a layman.....er.....woman.:) I would think, now this is just me, that if there is a lost soul (which are many) that needs witnessing to that has connected with whomever in the group from say the other forums, I think that witnessing by one person in a p.m. is better than subjecting them to different takes on Christianity. If I were lost and my interest was peaked, I'd look at this forum and think they can't even agree on what they agree on! That would pose as a deterrent to me. But, that's just me. JUMP IN FOLKS....just think about it. :)

LisaLisa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
I also want to say that you guys motivate me every single day. You keep me focused on God, and I"m so grateful that you're all here. We might not all agree 100% of the time, but we are all here for the same reason when you get right down to it.

Without you guys, I wouldn't have grown so much recently. I give Glory to God for that, but I'm thankful to all of you for it too because you keep me going and I just want you all to know how important you all are, every one of you, how much I appreciate all of you, and how much I have been personally blessed by this association.

I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ((((GROUP HUGS)))))))) :):):):):)

LisaLisa

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2009
As for me, SC & Chimney....if we haven't offended you we are truly sorry and we'll get to you as soon as possible. Please do not feel offended that we have not offended you....these things take time.

You're so bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

But now that I think about it, I guess a person would feel left out if they haven't been offended yet, and that's not loving, now is it?. :banana::banana::banana::banana::banana::banana:

I guess I have some name calling to do............who here among you has yet to be offended? Step up and let me slap you upside the head!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

lmrasch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 21, 2010
Oregon
I really love this forum and love the fact that is open to everyone. When someone posts something that is controversial, it gives us pause to "think about it".

What is the outside world "picking up" by our attitudes?

Is there something we should change in the way that we relate to one another?

Can we have a good debate without name calling?

This is a Christian forum, we talk about Christian subjects and most, if not all that have subscribed are Christians. Yet, even though we stand on the basic fundamental truths, there is still conflict amongst our own members. Actually, there is more conflict among our fellow subscribers than there is with "outsiders".

Debate makes us uncomfortable at times, for some of us it is more difficult to express a point through written word. It becomes even more difficult when you know that God has shown you something, yet you just can't find the words to express the meaning of what was shown.

But...Debate also encourages us to look deeper into why we believe the way we do. It encourages more study, heart searching and seeking God. It can either help you more firmly establish the belief that you knew to be true, or through study teach you a new way of looking at something.

1 Timothy 2
22 Flee the evil desires of youth and pursue righteousness, faith, love and peace, along with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.

What are the evil desires of our youth? Possibly going headlong into battle without considering the consequences maybe?
I like what has become e's mantra lately...choose your battles

23 Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels.

I guess we need to consider if an argument is worth debating about, Personally I think topics that can help us to become further established in the truth is neither foolish or stupid.

24 And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful.

Quarrelsome definition: inclined to quarrel or disagree; belligerent.
This is where we check our heart condition, take our blood pressure so to speak, whose blood is working in us, our own or the blood that was shed at Calvary?

25 Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, 26 and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will. [/B]

We've seen it happen here folks :) If this was a closed forum we would be literally denying others the right to "see the light".

So, I guess whether we participate in a debate or not really depends upon what we hope to gain from it.

Will it further the kingdom?
Will it strengthen or divide the body?

Can we speak the truth in love? If at all possible that is what our mindset should be....And...we can always choose to walk away from a discussion and agree to disagree...we've seen this happen here and it is a beautiful thing :p.

Sadly when we finally reach our wits end we can always resort to prayer....duh! I guess I shoulda done that first before I stuck my foot in my mouth, lol!

Lastly, we have the Holy Spirit that works within us and will guide us into all truth....do we truly believe that?

Practice makes perfect :)

Love to the family :wub:

eHuman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 18, 2010
San Diego
Imrasch,

The day that I realized that I had a whole lot more wisdom than I was able to walk in, just depressed me. Here I was going a hundred miles an hour trying to make a difference when I felt like Wiley Coyote spinning his wheels next to a cliff just realizing he's not on solid ground anymore.

I'm working on catching my walk up to my level of knowldge/wisdom. I woudn't be surprised to find that others were in a similar place if they thought about it. I want to be useful to the Kingdom when I grow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread