What do you store your TV juice in?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Villager

ECF Veteran
May 28, 2010
NY
Ah, the breeding vaping carp is very elusive. I can't seem to determine just which of these little bastages is responsible, but when I do, he's in a box and headed your way, blackwalk!

I laugh every time I think about that sneaky Don Juan of a carp [son of a bish]. If you catch him PLEASE put some air holes in the box (think what PETA would say)!

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
In case anyone liked the little drawers I linked to -- they're too small. 15ml bottles are bout 1/4" taller than they are.

At the Container Store (which is a zoo because all of the college freshmen in NYC are furnishing their homes and Bed Bath & Beyond is right across the street so they can do both), these tilt out bins will hold ten 15ml bottles in each section. I think it would get annoying. When you take something out, all the others shift around. I ended up getting these stackable ones. The little ones hold 12-14 15ml bottles and are even tall enough for TV's one ounce bottles.

Agrion

ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2010
PA
After looking long and hard I ordered this ($14.99):
Snap n' Stack Craft Storage Box - Large 2 Layers- Blue by Snapware

Each tray is 12.25" x 12.25" x 4.25"H

thestoragestore_2120_331176858.jpg

I purchased the two layer version pictured above but there is also a three layer version and you can purchase additional layers to snap on but I think it would get a bit much over 3 layers LOL.

Pros:

With a full compliment of 10 dividers (sold separately) it creates 36 2" x 2" x 4.25"H sections per layer, this is what I plan to do on the top tray. Or you can customize the sections by using less dividers. I calculate that you can store 4 15ml upright bottles per section (but it will be tight) or different combinations of larger or smaller bottles.

The 2oz doublers are just a bit taller than 4.25", almost 4.5" so too tall to store upright but I calculate that if you use dividers to create rows then use 1 divider to cut the rows in half you can store 24 2oz doublers, stacked 2 high on their sides. This is what I plan to do with the bottom tray.

Cons:

The dividers are sold separately and cost $1.99 for 2. For a full compliment of dividers you're looking at $10 per tray. The dividers can end up costing more than the unit but the tackle boxes I was looking at cost over $30 and stored less and were less organized.

It's clear so the bottles around the edges will be exposed to light but I'm considering contact paper or krylon for plastic spray paint.

Last edited:

Agrion

ECF Veteran
Jul 11, 2010
PA
Update to my post above about the Snap 'n Stack box. After receiving it I wanted to post an update just in case anyone was thinking about buying it.

First, this really holds a lot. I'm glad I took my time and looked around, this thing is perfect.

On storing the doublers:

If you want to store doublers upright in the top tray the lid adds a little height so you can store your doublers upright comfortably.

The floor of the top tray (which becomes the lid to the bottom tray) is flexible enough to give you the little bit extra you need to store your doublers upright in the bottom tray (the latch snaps on tight though). However, I'm thinking the more doublers you try to store the less flexible the top tray floor will be and eventually you may not be able to latch the two trays together. If this is the case this can easily be fixed by cutting away a little of the rubber latch to give you the extra space (there is plenty of material there) but I think you can get a lot in there before this happens.

So upright you can store around 54 2oz doublers in 1 tray depending on how you set up the dividers.

Final note, using the max number of dividers to create 2"x2" sections for storing smaller bottles was a bit tight to get my hand in there and grab what I want. I ended up using 7 dividers for the top tray to create 6 rows then cut those rows twice to create 18 4"x2" sections.

Hope this helps.

Vidi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 25, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Ive looked at boxes similar to what Deb posted. I saw a really great one at Sears today. Only problem is I couldnt put a lock on it.

I have a 3 month old daughter, and my juices look and smell like candy. My wife has always called me Mr Worst Case Scenario because I always see the worst thing that can happen and work to prevent that first hehe. So I see bad things happening if I don't lock up my juices. So I want somehting small and compact that I can put a lock on.

Lowes had a cool silver briefcase style but the locks and keys were cheap as hell ( and plastic ) and I foresaw a day when I couldn't get to my juices even with the plastic key.

As far as portable though, Ive been interested in diabetic carrying cases but have yet to find them anywhere but online ( believe it or not Wal Mart is not really near me and cant stand them anyway ) I want to be able to hold it in my hand and see that it will work for me before I purchase something. So I continue to search.

In the meantime, I purchased a couple of empty wooden cigar boxes from the local tobacco store, one small and tall, another short and large. they work pretty good for now.

Mr. Tasty Vapor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Hell, for anybody wanting to make a serious LONG TERM investment in something that would store their liquids, on the market are wine coolers (not the Bartles and James stuff), like small refrigerators for storing wine and keeping them at an optimal temperature. You can set the controls on these for whichever temperature you want to keep your liquids at. That's for the serious minded who have a couple hundred to spend.

On the lower budget end, my advise is, buy no more than you intend on using over the next two months. There is no real fuss with this, you can keep it in the fridge and it will stay fresh until the time you're about to run out, then order more!

If you spend $300 on a bunch of liquid you intend on using yourself...as we don't use preservatives in our liquids, it's likely you'll end up throwing stuff out. We don't want you to feel like you have to go through that. We'll be around, we'll be happy to mix more for you, make saner purchases.

Xanax

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2010
East Coast
My house is always about 60 degrees inside year round, no matter if it's cold outside or not. I keep my juices in a large cardboard box right in front of the AC and the big floor box-fan. (I love cold environments and bundling up to sleep) but honestly, it's kept my juices in a like new state. Haven't seen any signs of aging yet, minus obvious "steeping". I think 60 dg is warmer than geoff suggests for storing, if I remember correctly, but it's been totally perfect for storage for me.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
If you spend $300 on a bunch of liquid you intend on using yourself...as we don't use preservatives in our liquids, it's likely you'll end up throwing stuff out. We don't want you to feel like you have to go through that. We'll be around, we'll be happy to mix more for you, make saner purchases.
Now you tell me.

Seriously, I thought you said it has a shelf-life of 10-12 months and we shouldn't refrigerate anything other than our short-term supplies. (And, with the exception of Waffle, I do try to vape my older supplies first.)

Hell, for anybody wanting to make a serious LONG TERM investment in something that would store their liquids, on the market are wine coolers (not the Bartles and James stuff), like small refrigerators for storing wine and keeping them at an optimal temperature. You can set the controls on these for whichever temperature you want to keep your liquids at. That's for the serious minded who have a couple hundred to spend.

If you're going to do it, do it right. Sub-Zero's 242 Whine Cooler Refrigerator should be uber reliable and will only set you back $2,500-$3,400.

ETA: Nice new icon.

NewLou

ECF Veteran
May 23, 2010
Twin Cities, Minnesota, USA
I'm new to TV, and this thread brings up some questions. What are the signs that a juice that is "over the hill"?

I also thought that the fridge was not optimal, so I have just been keeping my juice in a cupboard, but I goofed, and it was just on the counter in an open tupperware container for a couple weeks until I realized it needed to be in the dark. Have I messed up my juice?

Our fridge is kind old and cheap (we rent), and sometimes things get too cold, so I was hesitant to put it in there, but if I put my juice in a smaller, soft cooler,(like what adults use for a lunch box) that would probably be good, I think?

Thanks for any info you can give me!

Mr. Tasty Vapor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
10-12? Doublers sure, maybe. But think about, the single most HIGHLY perishable component in a nicotine liquid, is nicotine. While the PG and VG will preserve it slightly and proper storage even longer, without preservatives, it's just determined to go bad quicker than your average e-liquid which fell out of the ... of a machine in China.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
There are two reasons I'm overstocked: first, I've changed the strength I vape at a few times so I need more doublers to dilute the strength of some of my e-liquids; second, if something new sounds good, I have to try it.

That said, I know this is a new field so I've been going by what you've said in the past.

Re: Refrigerators only being good for short-term storage:
We have TWO mini fridges specifically for storing nicotine. This would normally be bad for LONG TERM storage of nicotine, but no nicotine stays in our location long enough for that to be a worry.

If you've got a couple of liquids you'll likely use in the next month or two, a fridge that isn't super cold is a good place to store your liquids. But this isn't an optimal condition for your liquids if you're considering long term storage as the cold will render the liquid unusable over long periods of time. (beyond a few months)

I misremembered the shelf life which you've said is 6-8 months.
The darkening is simply exposure to oxygen. It'll happen. Some flavors will promote it quicker than others. The dairy and caramel will draw oxygen into the nicotine.

Since we don't load up our liquids with tons of preservatives then additional additives to cover the flavor of the preservatives, you get the flavor of what we do ONLY. But, this lessens the longevity of your liquids.

Where the Chinese stuff will sit on a shelf for a good year, ours is more like 6-8 months under optimal storage (around 60 degrees and free of sunlight).

Ours won't last as long as the Chinese stuff, but you don't have to worry about all the extra crap that you switched to electronic cigarettes to avoid anyway.

Found one more Geoff quote on the subject:
I just wrote to Jebey. If you have a liquid that you anticipate running out of quickly, something you vape daily, I'd say refrigeration isn't a bad idea. But if you have a BUNCH, store it somewhere where you can keep it around 50 degrees and OUT OF THE SUN.

Some browning will occur with age and the nicotine's exposure to oxygen. That's fine, it's expected, but no liquid has a shelf life beyond a year and by all means, don't buy a truck load of my liquid thinking you're stocking up for the year. I'll be around.

Hit me up for liquids as you need them. Pace yourself. It's okay. IN the mean time. Keep your liquids COOL and OUT OF THE SUN and don't freak if they get a little darker, that's normal.

Last edited:

VaporingQueen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2010
Virginia
Poeia Your killing me LMBO!!! Do you know how much juice I could buy witht that kinda money? hahaha

On a serious note I have been looking around and can get a wine fridge for about 150.00. However I am going to try my hardest to vape it all :)
Also I know you can buy a cheap small fridge for about 90.00 and use the lowest setting. I personally think I am going to start keeping a eye out on Craigs list, used Appliance stores and the paper for a used one.
I for one have put a halt to my spending because I have way too much TV Juice. So even with the temptations I am being a good girl :)

If you're going to do it, do it right. Sub-Zero's 242 Whine Cooler Refrigerator should be uber reliable and will only set you back $2,500-$3,400.

Poeia

Bird Brain
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2009
NYC
Just don't get a Cuisinart wine fridge. Half of their reviews on epinions.com talk about how, with no warning, they suddenly go from cooling the contents to actually heating them.

It looks like I've finally found the right storage solution for me.
Repurposed video cabinet for all my long-term supplies, extras, etc.
Ammo boxes for my cartomizers
Those little, stackable "binz" from The Container Store each hold 15 or 16 15ml bottles. It's been a week and I'm still automatically replacing the bottles there rather than letting them roam free.

binzcropped.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread