What eJuice makers are not telling us about PG and VG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kellycat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 3, 2013
Cary, NC, USA
Some of the snippy comments in this thread shocked me, to say the least. The OP mentioned sugar spikes, nowhere did they outright claim it was solely vaping causing the issue, so that quip about not being able to eat sugar-containing foods was, IMO, totally uncalled for and rather rude.

To answer the question more specifically, I no longer monitor my own sugar levels, as I'm not actually diabetic, but I do have some sugar issues with crashing if I don't take in a certain amount of simple or complex sugars..I haven't noticed vaping helping or hurting there, even with high-nic liquids. I believe the one comment I saw about water intake is a big factor though, and where I'd start before looking at the nicotine content, etc. Sure, nicotine probably does have an effect on blood sugar as it's a stimulant, etc, but try drinking more water or clear fluids. I know if I go a day without drinking much water I react more harshly to lack of sugars in my blood, to the point of nearly collapsing one night after walking down a flight of stairs to get a candy bar from the vending machines..so drink more, and keep an eye on your blood sugar, as well as talk to a physician as others have suggested.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Some of the snippy comments in this thread shocked me, to say the least. The OP mentioned sugar spikes, nowhere did they outright claim it was solely vaping causing the issue, so that quip about not being able to eat sugar-containing foods was, IMO, totally uncalled for and rather rude.

I'm hypoglycemic and I've always been curious as to why vaping sometimes causes spikes in my blood sugar and now I know why, this was almost shocking to me.

The way I read it the OP did claim vaping is causing sugar spikes.

In any case, snippy is never a good thing, but I thought the vast majority of the responses were to the point and trying to be helpful.

tenshi

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
United States
  • Deleted by Caridwen
  • Reason: keep comments civil-save the snark

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
It seems we are now talking about potatoes, I would like to share something. The increase in blood sugar from eating potatoes, or white bread for that matter has very little to do with the sugar content, and almost everything to do with the total simple carbohydrates in a serving.

I realize this has nothing to do with what ejuice makers do or do not tell us, but I really prefer that someone with diabetes not go off feeling all safe just because a label states a very low sugar content. I am also aware that most of us with diabetes already knows these relationships, but just in case. . . .

entropy1049

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Apalachicola, FL, United States
Welp, most of the caloric potential of the PG/VG is consumed by the combustion process of being vaporized in the coil. So it's pretty hard to determine the actual calories ingested (without a bomb calorimeter :)). Remember, calories are a measurement of potential heat, and once vaporized we're taking in a heck of a lot less mass than if we ingested the liquid. Also, PG is a pretty darn simple molecule and is metabolized as lactic acid, which is naturally consumed in the process of anaerobic cellular respiration. So nothing harmful there. VG is actually a simple alcohol. Though it shares a common structural backbone with some lipids and triglycerides, it does not actually contribute these to the body when ingested.

Chemistry nerds rejoice: Propylene Glycol: 200px-Propylene_glycol_chemical_structure.png

Vegitable Glycerin: 200px-Glycerin_Skelett.svg.png

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Nice. You're a better person than me xtwosm0kesx :). I look at it this way, he just joined ecf and has 2 posts... I'm sorry for being skeptical but really? Making a post labeled "What eJuice makers are not telling us about PG and VG" makes me even more skeptical. I say troll.

You may be skeptical, but please don't call people names. We're becoming so unfriendly to new members... It makes me very sad. When I joined ECF, everybody was helpful and friendly...

If the OP is hypoglycemic he has a right to ask about the sugars in PG and VG. Both are sugar molecules. His question is perfectly legit. If you don't believe me, visit our Health forum and read all the threads about diabetes and vaping. Same concern--sugar in eliquids.

Lucky1127

ECF Veteran
Jun 16, 2013
Birmingham, Al, USA
You may be skeptical, but please don't call people names. We're becoming so unfriendly to new members... It makes me very sad. When I joined ECF, everybody was helpful and friendly...

If the OP is hypoglycemic he has a right to ask about the sugars in PG and VG. Both are sugar molecules. His question is perfectly legit. If you don't believe me, visit our Health forum and read all the threads about diabetes and vaping. Same concern--sugar in eliquids.

I remember in the early days of DIY using liquid sweetener kind of like splenda

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Welp, most of the caloric potential of the PG/VG is consumed by the combustion process of being vaporized in the coil. So it's pretty hard to determine the actual calories ingested (without a bomb calorimeter :)). Remember, calories are a measurement of potential heat, and once vaporized we're taking in a heck of a lot less mass than if we ingested the liquid. Also, PG is a pretty darn simple molecule and is metabolized as lactic acid, which is naturally consumed in the process of anaerobic cellular respiration. So nothing harmful there. VG is actually a simple alcohol. Though it shares a common structural backbone with some lipids and triglycerides, it does not actually contribute these to the body when ingested.

Chemistry nerds rejoice: Propylene Glycol: View attachment 256029

Vegitable Glycerin: View attachment 256031

A sugar molecule is a sugar molecule... :D

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Maybe the wording of the title of the post put people on edge. Kind of like a lot of news stories lately with the misleading shocker headlines, "Vaping is a gateway to nicotine abuse.", "More teenagers are turning to vaping!" "Vaping might cause divorces!" etc.
Ok, that last one was purely made up. ;)

I know--but I truly believe we should refrain from name calling.

We don't want to become paranoid here.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. :D

Just my :2c:

TastyKakes

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2013
Philadelphia
I'm not a doctor, so I won't even begin to offer medical advice... Especially on an Internet forum where any such thing should be taken with a grain of salt.
I will however argue a simple rule of nature: how does one get 142.5 grams of carbs from 100 grams of any substance?

Seriously, where did the other 42.5g come from?

Nermal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2013
Farmington, NM USA
I don't know, TastyKakes. I did a CTRL F search on 142.5 as a keyword, and yours is the only reference I found on the page. Without seeing the exact wording, I might guess that there were 100g of something with a glycemic index of 142.5 and somebody just called it 142.5 grams. Problem is, I don't think I have ever seen anything rated that high.

Can you give some context?

Whosback

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
It has been said before and I will say it again. You will get good answers here OP, but please also ask your doctor if you have a health concern. If you wanna know about wicks, coils, tanks, mech APVs, and all that the bus stops here on knowledge collection, but when it comes to your health always double check with the people who are trained and can examine you directly.

I will add you may want to word your titles a bit more clearly. The implication I got from it was some claim of cover up or lies by juice makers. This however was not the case. I am not trying to be mean, but we put up with a lot of crap from people with intention to harm the vaping industry, so wording like that puts some of us on the defensive right at the go.

Whosback

ECF Veteran
Mar 23, 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
It has been said before and I will say it again. You will get good answers here OP, but please also ask your doctor if you have a health concern. If you wanna know about wicks, coils, tanks, mech APVs, and all that the bus stops here on knowledge collection, but when it comes to your health always double check with the people who are trained and can examine you directly.

I will add you may want to word your titles a bit more clearly. The implication I got from it was some claim of cover up or lies by juice makers. This however was not the case. I am not trying to be mean, but we put up with a lot of crap from people with intention to harm the vaping industry, so wording like that puts some of us on the defensive right at the go.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
You're a heck of a nice lady (I think you're a fem anyway) and I agree. Still, it is tempting to circle the wagons, isn't it.

Thanks. And I completely agree that the wording of the title of this thread is a bit... unfortunate.

But I've also witnessed an increase in attacks on new members--and that just makes me uneasy. Innocent until proven guilty, right? :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread