What in the world is wrong with simplicity?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sassyonemeis

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2011
Albany NY
Why is it that someone will post a question, (think newbies), looking for a simple answer or opinion, yet get highly technical responses? Part of the reason that newbies are overwhelmed when they start digging around here is the massive amount of forcible opinions and overly technical information. I realize that so many of us here have been doing this is a while (I'm not one of them... still a newbie really), and that through all of your trials and errors have happened upon information that you think is useful and beneficial, and then proceed to throw it all down to a newbie and expect them to digest it, when most often it just confuses overwhelms them even more. Not everyone is a tech head so spilling the tech stuff like everyone understands it is sort of obnoxious, especially on the newbie forum.

I think most newbies are simply looking for a SIMPLE unit that WORKS first and foremost, most admit they want something that 'looks" like a cigarette. I'd be willing to bet $20 that NONE would buy a box mod or a mod like a provari or some other super large battery unit as their first PV. They just need some assistance getting started yet they are very often overwhelmed with overly technical information that they dont understand or advice to just bite the bullet and buy some huge "best of the best" mod, and oh dont forget the low resistance blah blah and oh yeah raise your nic level. Not everyone even has a desire for ultra large variable voltage devices that look like a bomb detonator, even people who've been at this a while. They find something that works for them (and yeah, sometimes it's STILL a 510 with the pretty LED on the end) and they just stick with it and vape happily ever after.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree. I'm a newbie. I posted several questions my first week. I was overwhelmed alright - but not by the information. I was overwhelmed by everyone's willingness to be helpful and to share their experience. I didn't find any of the answers to be overly technical, and I when I came across vape vocab that I didn't understand, I used the search feature and looked it up or went on youtube and found a video. I also scoured the e-cig library. So, I appreciate every answer from the veterans. I've learned ALOT from this forum. I may never become a vaping connoisseur with multiple PVs and gourmet juice tastes, but at least I know what all my options are.

JudgeVape

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2011
D.C./Maryland
The sad part is that if newbies would start off with a simple box mod (and most are indeed very simple), the success rate of PVs as a smoking cessation device would probably be even higher. 3.7V and especially 5V box mods tend to be fairly light, very portable, very inexpensive and deliver a much more satisfying vaping experience than even the oft-recommended eGo/Riva devices, let alone cigarette-style devices like the 510.

Copperhead

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2010
CT
Not everyone even has a desire for ultra large variable voltage devices that look like a bomb detonator, even people who've been at this a while. They find something that works for them (and yeah, sometimes it's STILL a 510 with the pretty LED on the end) and they just stick with it and vape happily ever after.

You're preaching to the choir from my perspective....but then again...my hobby is coin collecting...not vaping

Levitas

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 2, 2011
Saint Louis
I didn't mind the plethora of odd technical jargon I got on my first day here. Yes it was foreign to me but I also learned a great deal. I am one of those who did just take the "get a ego/riva" advice and it works well enough for me to quit smoking. Perhaps I am the minority but I really have no desire for a mod or a LR atty or a more powerful battery, at least not at this point. My ego is just perfect for me, and though I didn't fully understand everything day one, I still appreciate all of the help. (Even if I didn't understand it!)

AlmightyGod

My friends call me A.G.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2010
Vaping Heaven
The ProVari and many of the other mods cost a little more, but have huge advantages to them.
They are not the size of a pipe bomb. The ProVari is less than six inches with the extension cap.
It is less than one inch in diameter.

The juice boxes are fantastic. All of the advantages of dripping without them muss and fuss.
For the cost of 4 eGo batteries, you could have a rock solid device, which will last and last.

Sassyonemeis

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2011
Albany NY
Well I have to disagree too. Not that it matters. I was just trying to make a point, which obviously wasnt received for the most part. Not everyone wants the ugly box mods or bomb detonators. Just because YOU may think it's the best, doesnt make it the best for everyone. I started with a 510, moved up to an eGo, then eGo-T, then I got a map tank which, guess what, I use on my eGo batts. I am completely fine with it and I dont see this changing. It works, the value is equal to or greater than the cost. I've looked at the big batts and box mods and they are way overpriced in my opinion. I just want simple.. something that works, and my set up does work and works well.

I'm all for providing options, with opinions, but to say that 'if newbies would start off with a simple box mod (and most are indeed very simple), the success rate of PVs as a smoking cessation device would probably be even higher." is more than a bit of a stretch. The rate of success of the e-cigarette is already phenomenal!! I dont want to vape a box, and I am not the only one who doesnt. I'm very glad you love yours :) I dont, to the point I dont even want to try one and my success as a non smoker hasnt been hurt in the very least because I wont vape a box. Truth is, I could have been successful with just a 510 or even the eGo-T, they work. I just didnt want to mess with stuff all the time so I went with the map. It works for me. Do I really care what the ohms vs the voltage = wattage is?? Not in the least, and again, I'm not the only one who doesnt.

It works, it's really just that simple sometimes!

Maybe if the newbies werent so overwhelmed, some of them wouldnt go running for the hills when they click on a provided link that takes them to some alien baseball bat sized mod that someone says is a MUST HAVE. Maybe instead of newbies lurking for weeks trying to digest the "too much information", they would jump in and buy a unit more quickly and get off the smokers wagon. It's like expecting a newborn to walk and talk before they even learn how to roll over or crawl.

AlmightyGod

My friends call me A.G.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2010
Vaping Heaven
These are not ugly, nor the size of a pipe bomb.

Starburst-righty-reszd.jpg IMG_0833.jpg DuaneMonkey.jpg

JudgeVape

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2011
D.C./Maryland
The ProVari and many of the other mods cost a little more, but have huge advantages to them.
They are not the size of a pipe bomb. The ProVari is less than six inches with the extension cap.
It is less than one inch in diameter.

It is small compared to many tube mods but it is still pretty sizable (I have one in my hand right now) and it is very heavy indeed, especially compared to the devices that most of us started out with. While I am sure there are many folks who don't mind lugging a device like this around, I wouldn't exactly call it very carry-friendly.

AlmightyGod

My friends call me A.G.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2010
Vaping Heaven
in YOUR opinion!

If you can have an opinion, so can I...just sayin'

It is small compared to many tube mods but it is still pretty sizable (I have one in my hand right now) and it is very heavy indeed, especially compared to the devices that most of us started out with. While I am sure there are many folks who don't mind lugging a device like this around, I wouldn't exactly call it very carry-friendly.

My point was to merely point out that one of the most advanced devices on the market is not huge.

There are many juice boxes being sold...to claim they are all ugly is plain silliness.

It doesn't get much more simple than either of these types of devices.
The initial cost is more, but they are very simple...which is what the thread is about.
The references to boxes being ugly and mods being pipe bombs is misleading.

Sassyonemeis

ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2011
Albany NY
gawdddd... VV mods, box mods, etc, are just not as simple as an eGo/Riva whatever that just plain works. Why must everything come to a debate about what's best? It's all a matter of opinion, and my opinion stands... box mods and most big batts are just plain ugly. Yes the woodwork craftsmanship is lovely and is appreciated for what it is, but I still dont want one. Having to fidget with VV just increases the confusion and chances for disaster, such as blowing up attys with too much voltage, which leads to more monies lost.

I am in no way saying that these mods are not of good quality, I am saying they are just not for everyone. Many folks just want simplicity and there's nothing wrong with that, especially for newbies.

AlmightyGod

My friends call me A.G.
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2010
Vaping Heaven
So I can't use any atomizer with a certain amount of resistance on my ego? So, a different level of current will affect the taste of vaping?

You can use any atty on an ego, so the lower the resistance, the hotter the vape.
Being able to adjust the voltage to any ohm atty, allows you to dial in the flavor.

gawdddd... VV mods, box mods, etc, are just not as simple as an eGo/Riva whatever that just plain works. Why must everything come to a debate about what's best? It's all a matter of opinion, and my opinion stands... box mods and most big batts are just plain ugly. Yes the woodwork craftsmanship is lovely and is appreciated for what it is, but I still dont want one. Having to fidget with VV just increases the confusion and chances for disaster, such as blowing up attys with too much voltage, which leads to more monies lost.

I am in no way saying that these mods are not of good quality, I am saying they are just not for everyone. Many folks just want simplicity and there's nothing wrong with that, especially for newbies.

At least we settled the ugly debate.

The ProVari and Darwin both will have protections to keep you from blowing attys.

JudgeVape

ECF Veteran
Jan 16, 2011
D.C./Maryland
Well I have to disagree too. Not that it matters. I was just trying to make a point, which obviously wasnt received for the most part. Not everyone wants the ugly box mods or bomb detonators.

Especially in the case of box mods, that is nothing more than an aesthetic judgement. If you are going to base your PV decisions on aesthetics, well more power to you. To me, that's not too far off from choosing your cigarette brand based on how pretty the wrapper is.

Some of the tube mods, admittedly, become a size/portability issue as well, admittedly.

It works, the value is equal to or greater than the cost. I've looked at the big batts and box mods and they are way overpriced in my opinion. I just want simple.. something that works, and my set up does work and works well.

How about a box mod that costs $35? That is not at all overpriced and it is simplicity defined.

I'm all for providing options, with opinions, but to say that 'if newbies would start off with a simple box mod (and most are indeed very simple), the success rate of PVs as a smoking cessation device would probably be even higher." is more than a bit of a stretch. The rate of success of the e-cigarette is already phenomenal!!

You are grossly mischaracterizing my statements. Is it deliberate? "Even higher" does not mean that I do not acknowledge how successful these devices have and will continue to be at helping people quit smoking. And "phenomenal" is only an appropriate descriptor when you compare vaping to the existing pharmaceutical options. The success rate is still under 50%, probably well under, bank on it.

You just recognize that the vast, vast majority of people that try a PV never post here, never publicly sing its praises or post their emotional success stories. They tried some device that looked like a cigarette from a mall kiosk or a truck stop or 7-11 or even a 510 they got online and they didn't stick with it for a variety of reasons. One of the major reasons is that they didn't find the vaping experience on those devices physically satisfying.

The fact is that there is no way to cram a powerful device into something as small as a 510, or even an eGo. Some people don't need the power (you among them, apparently). Some do, or would if they found out such devices existed before they gave up in frustration and went back to smoking.

I dont want to vape a box, and I am not the only one who doesnt. I'm very glad you love yours :) I dont, to the point I dont even want to try one...

That demonstrates a lack of objectivity, does it not?

Do I really care what the ohms vs the voltage = wattage is?? Not in the least, and again, I'm not the only one who doesnt.

An eGo with a Map tank on it is substantially more complex than a fixed voltage box mod. And you don't need to know anything more about voltage or ohms with a simple device like this...

tCuGX.jpg

...than with an eGo. It is also more pocket-friendly I might add (and only costs $24.99 plus a couple of $4 rechargable batteries and a charger). BTW, the device pictured above is also shorter than a single one of your eGo batteries, about the same depth and only a little more than twice as wide.

Last edited:

LadyMaMa

ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
SE Minnesota
Ban the bloviators, I say! LOL. Much of that technical advice only applies to the way they vape, anyway. They could have said what was needed in a paragraph or two.

My underwhelming advice to newbies, and considered opinion, non-brand specific: Buy a small, inexpensive pv or two. Get some e-liquid, extra batteries and atomisers. Practice your draw. You'll be surprised that it's different than the draw you use with a cigarette. Ease into it. You don't have to throw your cigarettes away the first day, or ever, if you don't want to. Count on some frustration with the "stuff." Come back and read these forums for support. Experiment and make your mistakes--it's okay, you're learning what works for YOU in the process. Drink lots of water. Don't count on breaking even for a while (maybe a long while or never, depending.) Stick with it. It gets better...honest. Keep your stuff away from the kids and pets. Feel better. That's all.

Susan

ZoSo15

ECF Veteran
Dec 7, 2009
Arizona
The fact is that there is no way to cram a powerful device into something as small as a 510, or even an eGo. Some people don't need the power (you among them, apparently). Some do, or would if they found out such devices existed before they gave up in frustration and went back to smoking.

I think this is the bottom line. We can't just tell new people to order a 510 or an ego, because many of us know that these devices are not powerful enough to satisfy everyone.

I see what the OP is saying about the overwhelming amount of information and recommendations. But there's a learning curve to vaping. Nothing can change that. If they can't wade through multiple suggestions then they probably won't get past learning how to keep their atties clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread