How to Get the Best Flavor From MTL RTA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
i usually use kanthal and ss 316l 28g. im now enjoying contact coils. just started testing 30g ss, seems to be fine. 6 wraps, contact, 2.5mm id, firing at 8-10w.

30g is a bit flimsy. care in removing cotton is needed.

I wind my 28ga coils tightly on a rod with coil turns touching, then I stretch and re-compress the coils while they are still on the mandrel rod. When you do that you are left with a tiny gap between the coils. I like to think that the tiny space between the coils exposes the juice to more wire area. It's just enough spacing to see light between the coils. We all have our favorite coil building procedure.

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Everyone is different finding there sweet spot.
PG carries flavor more so than vg while vg creates more vapor than pg.
Some like me cannot handle vg well so its a trade off .

Wire size also has something to with it as a lower gauge like 26 take more volts or watts to heat up the coil to vaporize.

Mods can also have a small effect as well .
For example a DNA settings can be changed thru its program where as you can set the wattage when you first press your mods power button to boost it then it goes right to where to set it at.

For example say one vapes at 12.5 w for the first 2 seconds you can have the mods start at 14watts after that it goes right to your setting.
The dna mods are what i use.

We are all different. ; )

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Everyone is different finding there sweet spot.
PG carries flavor more so than vg while vg creates more vapor than pg.
Some like me cannot handle vg well so its a trade off .

Wire size also has something to with it as a lower gauge like 26 take more volts or watts to heat up the coil to vaporize.

Mods can also have a small effect as well .
For example a DNA settings can be changed thru its program where as you can set the wattage when you first press your mods power button to boost it then it goes right to where to set it at.

For example say one vapes at 12.5 w for the first 2 seconds you can have the mods start at 14watts after that it goes right to your setting.
The dna mods are what i use.

We are all different. ; )

Early on in 2009-2010 I was vaping 24mg 90pg. Later on, I started DIY and experimented with various mixes. These days I'm somewhere in between 70pg and 50pg at 3 to 6 mg nic strength.

Sometimes, I wonder if I should be closer to 12mg nic levels to reduce my 8mg/day juice consumption.

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Early on in 2009-2010 I was vaping 24mg 90pg. Later on, I started DIY and experimented with various mixes. These days I'm somewhere in between 70pg and 50pg at 3 to 6 mg nic strength.

Sometimes, I wonder if I should be closer to 12mg nic levels to reduce my 8mg/day juice consumption.

Similar here as the Mrs and i started with that glowing end cig look alike battery would last about 1.5 hours we each had several spares .
Still using kanthal wire never got into any other wire and when handwinding heating the wire a little with lighter makes the kanthal piece being used limp and easier to wind coil .
Mosty nowadays when making coil not to often anymore i use the coilmaster just easier.

Started out with 18mg nic went down to 5-6mg and do vape about 10-12mg a day and may go o 8 on next diy of 500ml batch.
Vaping with joyetech clr at 8.2 watts a sweet spot will go thru about 8ml but using the zenith with made re-bild able coil at 1ohm and 12.2 watts go thru 10ml and the Brunhilde at 1ohm and 13 watts maybe 12 ml of e-liquid.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Similar here as the Mrs and i started with that glowing end cig look alike battery would last about 1.5 hours we each had several spares .
Still using kanthal wire never got into any other wire and when handwinding heating the wire a little with lighter makes the kanthal piece being used limp and easier to wind coil .
Mosty nowadays when making coil not to often anymore i use the coilmaster just easier.

Started out with 18mg nic went down to 5-6mg and do vape about 10-12mg a day and may go o 8 on next diy of 500ml batch.
Vaping with joyetech clr at 8.2 watts a sweet spot will go thru about 8ml but using the zenith with made re-bild able coil at 1ohm and 12.2 watts go thru 10ml and the Brunhilde at 1ohm and 13 watts maybe 12 ml of e-liquid.

My first two ecigs were a Joye 510 and later an eGo. The Joye 510 was an early dripper that was the size of and looked like a cigarette. The filter popped off and you dripped drops into the cotton (the filter part) and replaced it on the device. It was pretty high maintenance and was similar to the KR 808.

The Joye eGo had a colored transparent tank holding the juice with a second section that held the heating element. That one held enough juice to last a few hours.

Both of those are still available.

Zoule

Jun 3, 2020
Lille
Using KA1 and 316L 28g here, spaced or not, the coil covering airholes as much as possible (not difficult as MTL tanks do have tiny airholes :) ) On a regulated mod, ohms do not really matter. And then Enjoying DiY between 8 and 12 mg, 15/20 W max.

But recently -as I said in another thread about Ares V2- I tried Micro alien (Handsmadecoil) 4*32/38 Ni80 and had a beautiful and flavorful vape at 14/20 W with my Hellvape MD. At first when I spoke with the craftsman, I did no want to believe him ! And then I tried... :w00t:

HMC1-3.jpg

Really good coils but definitely sticking to my cheaper and efficient 28G

Although, do you have the feeling that some flavors seems to be muted by high nic ? For example I'm really having hard times enjoying vanilla on my MTL devices ???

flexy123

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2009
I forgot to add, yes of course, PG/VG ratio also plays a huge role. When you mix, probably way more than what type of coil you're using etc.

Thing is, when I experimented with higher VG juices ("higher" as in 60% and up), I do like the subtle sweetness of VG. But then of course (depending on your juices) it's also muting flavours. So stating the obvious, it makes a huge difference what you're using to make your liquids.
I recently started to mix all my juices 55%PG, simply because when I found out that the original HALO had this ratio. I think it provides a good balance of flavour and good, smooth vape.

Reactions: Tor R
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread