How to Get the Best Flavor From MTL RTA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapemesilly

ECF Veteran
Mar 21, 2017
Nevada
I've recently jumped back into MTL after a few years of DTL. I like MTL but seem to be getting not quite the great flavor I get from DTL. For MTL I've been using straight 26 ga. Kanthal with ohms at around 1.0 - 1.2. I've considered trying Clapton wire but the decks on these MTL tanks are kind of small, it seems.

So.....what are you folks doing for builds on MTL rta's to maximize flavor?

Thanks.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    I've recently jumped back into MTL after a few years of DTL. I like MTL but seem to be getting not quite the great flavor I get from DTL. For MTL I've been using straight 26 ga. Kanthal with ohms at around 1.0 - 1.2. I've considered trying Clapton wire but the decks on these MTL tanks are kind of small, it seems.

So.....what are you folks doing for builds on MTL RTA's to maximize flavor?

Thanks.

MTL claptons should help, I've tried these two:
    $3.41 Authentic Coilology Ni80 MTL Fused Clapton Heating Wire - 2*30/40 AWG / 2*0.25mm/0.08mm dia. / 3.74ohm/ft / 10ft at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    $3.29 Authentic Coilology Ni80 MTL Clapton Heating Wire - 28/40 AWG / 0.32mm/0.08mm dia. / 5.2ohm/ft / 10ft at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    Both are thin enough for screws to clamp them. I use 4 or 5 wraps, which keeps it to a cooler vape.

I'd also try upping your wattage, especially with 26ga - I vape MTL at anywhere from 17 watts to 30 watts.

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 29, 2015

Thanks.

I look for bottom adjustable airflow and a small chamber primarily. When I build the coil, I like to put it as close to the coil as possible without shorting it. I also use juices with a high percentage of PG -- my preference is 30% VG, 70% PG. That helps with flavor a lot too.

The Doggystyle is one of the best flavor tanks I've ever used and it's about $10 or so at Fast Tech. Other great flavor tanks are the Cthulu Hastur Mini, the Dvarw MTL RTA, the Patibulum MTL RTA, the Hellvape MD MTL RTA, Steam Crave Glaz Mini MTL RTA and the EH Pro True.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL

Thanks.
    My sweet spot on all mtl rta's? 28ga SS316L, 7 wraps 2mm ID spaced, 0.58 ohms, 8-10W.
    And I agree w/Ange- I could never get a satisfactory vape out of 26ga. She's probably right on claptons, etc., but i don't roll that way.;) Getting plenty of flavor from simple round wire for me.

And the tanks- I went from KF3, to Doggy (& Dvwarw), to eHpro True, to now the Precisio (F***in' fantastic vape!).

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    As said above there's much you can do to improve flavor on a MTL set up, but ultimately for me...air flow equals flavor....and that makes it difficult on a MTL set up.... that's why I went away from MTL.

This is a good point. Yes I vape MTL but for the past year, I do so on restricted lung RDAs & RTAs, the airier the better. And I prefer to use either 28ga round wire, or 28ga flat wire (0.5mm x 0.2mm)

Since you moved to MTL from DL, why not try some airy restricted lung RTAs and RDAs? With a 5 or 6mm bore 510 drip tip, you can MTL most of them, just fine. But if you prefer the tighter 'true' MTL - then ignore all of the above ;)

Nailz

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Jun 6, 2013
    Wichita, KS
    I am a MTL vaper, have been for all my nearly 7 year vaping journey, tried DL, and I thought it was less flavor as so much air and just a lot of vapor so can't see the TV, gave up on that quick.

Last few years I have been using 1.5 ohm clapton coil at 20 watts, really good flavor, make them on a 2.5mm rod and sometimes they can be tight fitting, but got them in everything I have bought, and I bought a lot over the years :)

G-weezy

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 16, 2014
    Minneapolis
    My sweet spot on all mtl rta's? 28ga SS316L, 7 wraps 2mm ID spaced, 0.58 ohms, 8-10W.
    And I agree w/Ange- I could never get a satisfactory vape out of 26ga. She's probably right on claptons, etc., but i don't roll that way.;) Getting plenty of flavor from simple round wire for me.

And the tanks- I went from KF3, to Doggy (& Dvwarw), to eHpro True, to now the Precisio (F***in' fantastic vape!).
    Exactly my build right now also. Great little coil.

TrueNorthist

I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 4, 2012
    Cariboo Country, BC
    My experience has been flavour is directly tied to heat, aka mod settings. Sure, its easier to get some attys to produce great flavour with a good build over a wider temp range, but even a bad build on a top air feed etc can be forced to perform half well by simply adjusting the mod to just below flameout.

Personally I am yet to encounter an atty that produces the same strong flavour as the venerable old Kanger subtank, but then again I'm just a daft old pillock, fond of my old stuff.

Jebbn

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 2, 2018
    safe distance from a black hole

Exactly my build right now also. Great little coil.
    My build also, or what I aim for.

I generally vape flavourless but do occasionally use flavours.
    Any flavour is too much and I dilute it, a lot. The only store bought flavour I like I buy at 24mg and dilute it to 3mg for mtl. Even that gets too much after awhile.
    For RDL/DL I find I have to dilute any flavours even more.

None of thats any help to the OP :D

Reactions: Brewdawg1181

vaper1960

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 24, 2019
    California, US
    Do you already have a MTL RTA? Which one? Very good suggestions above. I use 26 ga Kanthal, 3mm ID about 7 wraps in my Silverplay running 20 watts. It's a tricky RTA to work with but has very versatile airflow (I like loose MTL) In my other Silverplay, I use some pre-wound simple clapton coils at 25 watts (more airflow so almost restricted DL) I get great flavor with both. Coil placement is very important (in relation to where air flows) and airflow adjustment too. I like Rayon but even with cotton got good flavor. Thinner juice can help with wicking (depending on the RTA) but mine tend to leak so using 70VG/30PG I can't tolerate more than 35% PG so I use 65VG/35PG in my Lemo2 (old school RTA) It never leaks but sometimes wish it would wick better (I still love it even if I have to do "primer puffs between vapes) There are many MTL RTAs I know are great but had to pass because I like more airflow. I think I would love the Preciso. Another one not mentioned yet is the Tripod (Ulton clone)

Reactions: stols001

Rcon

Aug 11, 2016

I'm very close to that too, but a Kanthal variant, 28ga Kanthal, 8 wraps 2mm ID spaced, 1.20 ohms, 8-10 watts.

Whilst the watts seem low, the vapor produced is at least equal to the amount of smoke I used to get from a stinkie. Plus you get the benefit of high flavour, with low battery use and low juice consumption.

Whilst it is all highly subjective, it certainly seems to me that quite a few of us MTL vapers have settled into a very similar low watt setup.

flexy123

ECF Veteran
    Mar 29, 2009
    I have found the type of coils for MTA really not mattering much. (Of course, one may disagree).

I found simplw micro coils, 28ga Kantal absolutely ok. Basicalyl the simplest type of coil you can make.

I found the RTA/atomizer playing a much bigger role in flavour than messing with coils, and curently I favour the DVARW for MTL. The RTA also matters because some can produce unpleasantly hot vape (depending on chimney size), or lose some flavour because chimney too large etc.

MTLing at about 12W, usually 1.5ish Ohms. Ohms matter in a sense as it determines how fast the coil is heating. 1.5ish is just right for MTL, imo.

Mordacai

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 16, 2019
    UK
    @Vapemesilly, what MTL tanks are you using?

And haven't tried the Tripod yet in MTL config, only DTL with some success. But it is an excellent RTA for flavour, the build deck is larger than the kayfun style and easier to use.

Ulton do the best Tripod clones, they're available at fasttech without enhanced capacity kit and 2fdeal with the enhanced capacity kit.

RuiG

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    May 4, 2019
    Portugal

Thanks.

This is a tough one.

I can only speak for the mtl atomizers I have.
    Ammit Mtl Rta
    Kaifun Lite 2019
    Doggystyles

I started vaping them with simple round wire.

Nowadays I only use some specific wires to build on them:
    Ni80 Alien 2*30 + 40
    Ni80 Fused Clapton 2*28 + 38
    Ni80 personal flatenned coils in different variations

Micro exotics for me give the best results.

Then it's all about coil build, size and placement, wicking, power...

Stay safe.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA

Thanks.

28ga is my first choice for a sweet spot at 10w to 12W. 26ga may require higher wattage to get into the optimum flavor zone. Flavor is more about the juice you vape once you've found the right build. DTL may yield more flavor just because you vaporize more juice at higher wattage and airflow rates.

Dual coils provide more contact area, so more juice is vaporized there, too. Experiment with coil height and wire gauge to find the best build. Tell us what RTA you are using and we can give you tips on optimizing flavor with that tank.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread