The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

How to Get the Best Flavor From MTL RTA?

Discussion in 'RTA' started by Vapemesilly, Jan 10, 2020.

Tags:
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Vapemesilly

Vapemesilly Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 21, 2017
    Nevada
    I've recently jumped back into MTL after a few years of DTL. I like MTL but seem to be getting not quite the great flavor I get from DTL. For MTL I've been using straight 26 ga. Kanthal with ohms at around 1.0 - 1.2. I've considered trying Clapton wire but the decks on these MTL tanks are kind of small, it seems.

So.....what are you folks doing for builds on MTL RTA's to maximize flavor?

Thanks.

2. AngeNZ

AngeNZ Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    MTL claptons should help, I've tried these two:
    $3.41 Authentic Coilology Ni80 MTL Fused Clapton Heating Wire - 2*30/40 AWG / 2*0.25mm/0.08mm dia. / 3.74ohm/ft / 10ft at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    $3.29 Authentic Coilology Ni80 MTL Clapton Heating Wire - 28/40 AWG / 0.32mm/0.08mm dia. / 5.2ohm/ft / 10ft at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping
    Both are thin enough for screws to clamp them. I use 4 or 5 wraps, which keeps it to a cooler vape.

I'd also try upping your wattage, especially with 26ga - I vape MTL at anywhere from 17 watts to 30 watts.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. JustWondering1

JustWondering1 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 29, 2015
    I look for bottom adjustable airflow and a small chamber primarily. When I build the coil, I like to put it as close to the coil as possible without shorting it. I also use juices with a high percentage of PG -- my preference is 30% VG, 70% PG. That helps with flavor a lot too.

The Doggystyle is one of the best flavor tanks I've ever used and it's about $10 or so at Fast Tech. Other great flavor tanks are the Cthulu Hastur Mini, the Dvarw MTL RTA, the Patibulum MTL RTA, the Hellvape MD MTL RTA, Steam Crave Glaz Mini MTL RTA and the EH Pro True.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Fredman1

Fredman1 Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 27, 2017
    New Zealand
    As said above there's much you can do to improve flavor on a MTL set up, but ultimately for me...air flow equals flavor....and that makes it difficult on a MTL set up.... that's why I went away from MTL.

5. Brewdawg1181

Brewdawg1181 Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    My sweet spot on all mtl rta's? 28ga SS316L, 7 wraps 2mm ID spaced, 0.58 ohms, 8-10W.
    And I agree w/Ange- I could never get a satisfactory vape out of 26ga. She's probably right on claptons, etc., but i don't roll that way.;) Getting plenty of flavor from simple round wire for me.

And the tanks- I went from KF3, to Doggy (& Dvwarw), to eHpro True, to now the Precisio (F***in' fantastic vape!).

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. AngeNZ

AngeNZ Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    This is a good point. Yes I vape MTL but for the past year, I do so on restricted lung RDAs & RTAs, the airier the better. And I prefer to use either 28ga round wire, or 28ga flat wire (0.5mm x 0.2mm)

Since you moved to MTL from DL, why not try some airy restricted lung RTAs and RDAs? With a 5 or 6mm bore 510 drip tip, you can MTL most of them, just fine. But if you prefer the tighter 'true' MTL - then ignore all of the above ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. Nailz

Nailz Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 6, 2013
    Wichita, KS
    I am a MTL vaper, have been for all my nearly 7 year vaping journey, tried DL, and I thought it was less flavor as so much air and just a lot of vapor so can't see the TV, gave up on that quick.

Last few years I have been using 1.5 ohm clapton coil at 20 watts, really good flavor, make them on a 2.5mm rod and sometimes they can be tight fitting, but got them in everything I have bought, and I bought a lot over the years :)

• Like Like x 3