IMZed

ECF Veteran
Aug 22, 2013
Hamilton, OH, USA
What is kid friendly ???
would I give or sale an e-cig to a kid ? For me No
what do you think ???

JMHO---

"Kid-friendly" "child-proof" and uses of the term "children" or it's derivatives by politicos and special interest people is a marketing gimmick.
It gets peoples' attention and makes them immediately sympathetic to whatever cause you're promoting. People get defensive about their kids. Rightly so, but it is often used unethically by politicians who really don't care any more for your kids than they care about the man in the moon! "Oh, these are unsafe for our kids so let's make them illegal." Guns, e-cigs - it's all the same. Take away the rights of adults for the alleged safety of the children. Hey, I saw a kid fall over a couch (Kia Sedona commercial) so let's make couches illegal!

No, I wouldn't give or sell an e-cig to a kid, nor would I give or sell a gun to a child, whether loaded or not. Is there such a thing as a kid-friendly gun? Plastic guns can lead to real guns, so they should be illegal! Virtual guns could also lead to real guns! Try making guns illegal and you've got a very powerful lobby to fight against (NRA). Maybe we need lobbyists! Big tobacco has lobbyists. We need some! Maybe they can show our politicians that one of the best ways to protect the children is to make their parents safer.

Just my opinions...getting off the soapbox now!

cookiebun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2011
Central Ohio
JMHO---

"Kid-friendly" "child-proof" and uses of the term "children" or it's derivatives by politicos and special interest people is a marketing gimmick.
It gets peoples' attention and makes them immediately sympathetic to whatever cause you're promoting. People get defensive about their kids. Rightly so, but it is often used unethically by politicians who really don't care any more for your kids than they care about the man in the moon! "Oh, these are unsafe for our kids so let's make them illegal." Guns, e-cigs - it's all the same. Take away the rights of adults for the alleged safety of the children. Hey, I saw a kid fall over a couch (Kia Sedona commercial) so let's make couches illegal!

No, I wouldn't give or sell an e-cig to a kid, nor would I give or sell a gun to a child, whether loaded or not. Is there such a thing as a kid-friendly gun? Plastic guns can lead to real guns, so they should be illegal! Virtual guns could also lead to real guns! Try making guns illegal and you've got a very powerful lobby to fight against (NRA). Maybe we need lobbyists! Big tobacco has lobbyists. We need some! Maybe they can show our politicians that one of the best ways to protect the children is to make their parents safer.

Just my opinions...getting off the soapbox now!

Yes there is such a thing as a kid friendly gun. I'm not going to post the pink one.

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
Off topic other than last gun post. Nephew is 13 this year and think he is going to be tagging along in our hunting party this year. So yeah if 13 year old can hold a gun and go hunting his parents should be responsible enough to keep him away from stealing credit card and purchasing e-cigs...hopefully. I can't vouch for all parents but think they are doing ok job raising their 2 kids.

You may have to post the pink one ;) Don't think niece will ever go with us but she is probably more than welcome if she decides so in next 3 years. I think you got to be 13 here in Iowa but not sure...no kids so never researched carefully.

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
Ohh and I besides the flavors which I thoroughly enjoy and probably one of big reasons I haven't started smoking since I vaped...I'm big into the vanilla, caramel, coffee, toasted tobacco mixtures...It wasn't until I found I "right" flavor that I said to myself I don't need it to taste like my camel lights this is actually better.

At any rate the should put the 5 button push to activate/deactivate on all devices and put child proof lids on e-liquid. Not in favor at all of regulation but that just makes sense to keep kids from "accidentally" using them. Items labeled caramel, grape, apple, etc with no child proof lids is just asking for a 10 year old to get into it. Although I bet a 5 year could eventually figure out how to open those lids with 2-3 hours of time. Nice experiment if you want to test out how child proof those lids actually are :)

cookiebun

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2011
Central Ohio
Off topic other than last gun post. Nephew is 13 this year and think he is going to be tagging along in our hunting party this year. So yeah if 13 year old can hold a gun and go hunting his parents should be responsible enough to keep him away from stealing credit card and purchasing e-cigs...hopefully. I can't vouch for all parents but think they are doing ok job raising their 2 kids.

You may have to post the pink one ;) Don't think niece will ever go with us but she is probably more than welcome if she decides so in next 3 years. I think you got to be 13 here in Iowa but not sure...no kids so never researched carefully.

I have a few handguns myself. Somebody mentioned "kid friendly guns" and I couldn't resist.

Here are some pink guns:

gheebee

ECF Veteran
Jun 20, 2011
North America
People do complain about these drinks, they call them "alcopops". It's just that complaining about them is not yet as in style as complaining about other things so you don't hear about it as much. Take a look at these jerks: http :// alco pop free zone . us
I'm sure that there is at least one whiny organization against more or less every adults only product or activity that exists.

Ladiekali

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Florida
burn the parents at the stake! after all they should be with their children 24 hours a day right.

gosh people i have two teenage boys. 15 and 17, i have battled with them just over energy drinks... that minors are able to purchase on their own. I don't allow them to drink energy drinks. but that hasn't stopped them when i'm not around.

Same for cigarettes. I have caught my now near 18 year old with cigarettes, i don't allow this, i throw it away when i find it. hardly feel i am the one to blame for the choices he makes when i'm not around.

As a matter of fact, 2 months ago I came home from being at the nicu with my dieing grandmother, basically living there for 3 weeks, came home to find him in the back yard covered in puke, He apparently had alcohol poisening, had to go back to the hospital with him in the ER. Was pretty sure the kid had brain damage he was so bad.

would like to blame me for that?
I don't blame myself. I blame him.

oh did i mention, i don't even drink alcohol...

cut parents a break, most do the best they can do and the older, a child gets, the more freedoms they have the less control parents have of them.

that's my 2cents.

PinoyBoy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
WA State, USA
My favorite flavor for flouride the dentist gives you at the end of the visit has always been piña colada. Mind you the first time I tried that flavor (for flouride) was when I was 7, my usual go to was bubblegum before hand. Is piña colada a kid friendly flavor? Why do they offer such flavors to kids. BTW, piña colada is also a great flavor to vape :vapor: Same goes for the drinks :toast:

thefallofray

Verified Member
Sep 22, 2013
Mesa, AZ, USA
So this is what I think about the "protect the kids" thing... We can't even stop kids from getting their hands on cigarettes and alcohol when they're under 18, so why are e-cigs the ones that must be made an example of? I agree, we can't blame parents 100% for everything. I started smoking at 14 despite my parents saying it was bad for me. That's just what kids do. Luckily I've found vaping now. And if some kids are smokers, yes I don't agree with it, but why wouldn't we want them vaping if they're already addicted to nicotine? Would we rather them continue to smoke analogs? No, we'd rather them quit. But if only it were that easy, as many of us know all too well. I do not buy in to the "e-cigs are marketed directly at kids" argument because as someone previously mentioned, then so are the alcohol companies. So are cigar companies. So are shisha companies. Where are the threats against those? But really, if kids really want an e-cig, they'll get their hands on one. Just like with conventional tobacco products and alcohol. Some ludicrous regulations will not prevent that.

Maybe I shouldn't have had children...I dolled them up and curled their hair and put them in bright colorful clothes and they smelled delicious (just like baby lotion). Maybe I wouldn't be encouraging kids to have babies if mine weren't so dang cute.

Seriously though, I do vape with a pretty vape and vape coffee flavors. But....due to my awesome mad mothering skillz, I'm hoping my teenage daughters have no interest in vaping. They have absolutely no interest in smoking. My brother died last year of a heart attack, he was only 38 years old. My dad has had 2 heart attacks and they have seen the damage smoking has done to me. They know that this is a safer alternative to smoking but I emphasized that while I do enjoy vaping...I am addicted to the nicotine and that will be a hard addiction to overcome. It's a step forward for me, but a few backwards for someone who hasn't smoked.

I will admit on this forum that in the event that one of my daughters do start smoking, I will promptly take them to my local B and M Vape store and purchase them a PV. I don't care if they are a minor, it's all about damage control. I would rather them inhale nicotine and flavoring then the toxins in a cigarette. I will not buy them cigarettes. Ever.

Last edited:

ScandaLeX

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
PhiLLy
What is kid friendly ???
would I give or sale an e-cig to a kid ? For me No
what do you think ???

There's a whole lot of stuff that isn't kid friendly.
I think the only reason such a stink (no pun intended) regarding ecigs and kids are mentioned in the same sentence is because somebody somewhere is trying to make a profit.
They could give a damn about kids.

For years all my son begged me to do is quit smoking.
He's a grown man now and over the moon that I'm now vaping.
He even vapes merely because the flavors smell good.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
Kid friendly to me means never having to say you are sorry for not hiding safer alternatives from their education, so they could make informed decisions, like a real adult. That's what they want to feel like, be treated like, is a real adult.

Totally Unsafe vs Safer, is a no brainier. I hope for all young adults to grow up into responsible mature adults who can make proper decisions for me when I'm old and feeble and really need to rely on them.

Totally Unsafe vs Safer:
Unprotected sex vs Condoms
Alcohol vs non-alcoholic Beverages
Smoking vs Vaping
Moraine vs giggle herbs
Slavery vs Freedom of choice
Give up and die vs Strength of character based on the freedom of choices we choose to choose from.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
Great posting, Uma! :)

Say, I am a foreigner. What do you mean by "kid friendly"?
I just know what is not kid friendly - those snacks marketed at children in Europe, full of fat and sugar, with a picture of grains on the package to make them appear healthy. Until you actually read the ingredients...

Example: this little healthy-looking snack:
Ferrero, Kinder Country Kalorien - Schokoriegel - Fddb
just look at that milk and that yummy grain! - Until you read the ingredients - 54% fat, 40% carbohydrates (most of it from sugar) and 6% protein.

I wonder where the "concerned citizens" are when it comes to such junk food, packaged to look like a healthy snack :(
In my country, it took consumer organizations to stop a lot of false advertising. The government did not give a crap.
Hm....

/edit:
I do not mind junk food. If it is sold as such. But marketing junk food to children - and parents - as healthy snacks... that is going too far, in my opinion.

Last edited:

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
I love KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken); but I don't eat it every day because I know I would be dead in a few years if I did. We don't need to outlaw oversized sodas or trans fat fried french fries or cheese burgers. People just need to learn to use those in moderation. So I agree with you Anjaffm. It's just unfortunate that in the home of the "free" we have certain cities/states doing so much to "protect" us from ourselves that I'm starting not to think I'm in the home of the "free" any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread