What is kid friendly ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
I love KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken); but I don't eat it every day because I know I would be dead in a few years if I did. We don't need to outlaw oversized sodas or trans fat fried french fries or cheese burgers. People just need to learn to use those in moderation. So I agree with you Anjaffm. It's just unfortunate that in the home of the "free" we have certain cities/states doing so much to "protect" us from ourselves that I'm starting not to think I'm in the home of the "free" any more.

Thank you, Mohamed!
I fully agree: to my mind, life is about informed decisions. And adults are very well capable of making informed decisions. If and when they are given information.
Information. Not nonsense, not ideologically motivated lies, not hysterical yelling, not false advertising, and most definitely not prohibitions of completely legal things on the basis that "this is bad for you".
Information - on the basis of which adults can decide for themselves.

I mainly eat a healthy diet, normal food, with little junk food. Because I like decent food. It tastes good, and it makes my body feel good. Whereas large amounts of junk food make my body feel bad.

- To anybody who does not believe this: I am over 50, and my body does tell me what it likes and what it does not like. At that age, we are not as resilient as we were at 18 ;). Anybody can try this out. Try eating a normal meal for lunch (e.g. meat, potatoes, vegetable) and drink a large glass of water. And then go back to work. The next day, try eating a large Burger joint meal for lunch, including the fries and the soft drink with sugar. - And then go back to work, and compare how your body feels in the afternoon. *smiles*

I do like KFC or a burger meal once in a while. With the stress on once in a while. And I really enjoy it. Once in a while. Like eating chocolate, or potato chips. Once in a while. And when I do, I make the informed decision that I am going to eat this now, although it is not healthy. Because I want to. Today. .. But I will not eat that same stuff tomorrow and the day after tomorrow and every day. That is my decision. And not anybody else's. And especially not the government's.

And I will go one step further and make the following claim:
Once the government decides what is "good for you" and what is not, once the government decides whether adult citizens can purchase x amount of sugar or y amount of fat, once the government says "Nanny State knows best" - then the government will withhold /suppress any kind of information that do not support the goverment's claims. Thus, the government will make it impossible for adults to make informed decisions - due to the simple fact that those adults will not receive any (uncensored) information.

Thank you, but no thank you. I am 53 years old - and I am very much capable of deciding which legal things I put in my body.

Coming back to children and "kid friendly" (whatever that is):
In my opinion, it is the responsibility of adults to take care of children / teenagers. To teach them right from wrong. And to teach them things such as a healthy diet, with things like junk food and sugar-rich carbonated beverages being a "special day treat" and not a staple of everyday "nutrition".

To get back to vaping:
In my opinion, vaping is not "kid friendly". Neither is coffee or alcohol. - Those are things for adults. Period.

- Yes, teenagers will try anything. I did :D And no, I did not turn out to be a user of illegal substances or an alcoholic. The only "bad habit" I kept was smoking. And, thanks to vaping, I have now been smoke-free for almost 2 years. YEAH! -

-- sorry for the long posting, but I just felt like saying this :D
----------------
tl;dr:

There are things for children, and there are things for adults. Coffee and alcohol are for adults, and, in my opinion, so is vaping.
Adults are very much capable of making informed decisions what they put in their bodies.
Keep stuff for adults out of the hands of children. And that is all that is necessary.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I'm starting to see a trend here. The OP starts threads that can devolve into "save the children" territory that ANTZ love to spout off about. From the thousands of posts I have read on ECF and other vaping forums, I have found that the vast majority have the common sense to know vaping is for adults. They also know that just like other common household items found in the home, like gasoline, bleach, insecticide, etc, you keep them out of the reach of children. And who would enable or encourage a child to start drinking alcohol or smoking or vaping? So why are threads being "started" on what for the vast majority should go "without saying"? Here is another:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/diy-e-liquid/481358-danger-vaping.html

baseballmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2013
SE PA
sincemylastcigarette.com
there's a lot out there not kid friendly and a lot is legal-hence us parents take responsibility or our kids and pray their friends and their parents are sensible too and we need to keep up on our children and who they hang with-heck they'll sneak the stuff of course sooner or later. red dye isn't kid friendly for my youngest son yet it's in practically everything(makes some of us with adhd very wound up)-gmo's aren't friendly to kids or adults or animals...the world is full of toxins in practically everything! oh the list could go on and on-no I don't want my kids abusing addictive substances of ANY kind-legal or illegal-nor do I want other kids-coffee is addictive, has some bad effects, but it is also used for adhd too as beneficial for some folk-, soooo some of these things are tough to call as kid friendly or not(Ritalin scares me more than coffee).....then again I don't feel all the flavors are directed solely at kids-I enjoy my sweets too! I've never seen a teen/kid in my area vaping yet-they think it's for 'older people' just like fb is now apparently-lol....we've seen an increase in something called synthetic mj though around here-I think that scares me a heck of a lot more than e-cigs yet I hardly hear anyone complaining as much about that-wtheck!!!!

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I have found that the vast majority have the common sense to know vaping is for adults. They also know that just like other common household items found in the home, like gasoline, bleach, insecticide, etc, you keep them out of the reach of children. And who would enable or encourage a child to start drinking alcohol or smoking or vaping? So why are threads being "started" on what for the vast majority should go "without saying"?

I don't know why the threads are started, but do think they are interesting discussion as it is CLEARLY at the heart of why regulations are called forth.

To say it 'goes without saying' is not a decent/reasoned explanation. Like if FDA proposed regulation to ban all flavors because "it goes without saying."

Explain to me what would be dangerous for a minor to vape 0 mg?

I'm curious if you are comparing vaping nicotine to ingesting gasoline, bleach, insecticide, etc? Cause the former won't seriously harm virtually any person, while the latter would harm every person (adult or otherwise) in a very very short period of time.

I'm also curious what (you all think) will happen to the minors that have taken up vaping and continue that habit into their adulthood? I kinda think that once that person who started under 18 turns 18, many persons in the vaping community will trip over themselves to make sure that 'adult' finds the perfect gear and perfect juice, to help enjoy their vaping experience.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
I'm starting to see a trend here. The OP starts threads that can devolve into "save the children" territory that ANTZ love to spout off about. From the thousands of posts I have read on ECF and other vaping forums, I have found that the vast majority have the common sense to know vaping is for adults. They also know that just like other common household items found in the home, like gasoline, bleach, insecticide, etc, you keep them out of the reach of children. And who would enable or encourage a child to start drinking alcohol or smoking or vaping? So why are threads being "started" on what for the vast majority should go "without saying"? Here is another:

I do agree that the average vaper understands that vaping is an adult activity, and it comes down to common sense. While I honestly don't know why these threads are started, I will say that by discussing these topics we will hopefully gain a better sense of different views. If we can do that, then perhaps we can find more ways to counter the ANTZ arguments and persuade more moderate adults to support THR concepts.

That's my hope anyway.

RosaJ

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2012
The Woodlands, TX, USA

I'm totally with you!!!

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I don't know why the threads are started, but do think they are interesting discussion as it is CLEARLY at the heart of why regulations are called forth.

To say it 'goes without saying' is not a decent/reasoned explanation. Like if FDA proposed regulation to ban all flavors because "it goes without saying."

Explain to me what would be dangerous for a minor to vape 0 mg?

I'm curious if you are comparing vaping nicotine to ingesting gasoline, bleach, insecticide, etc? Cause the former won't seriously harm virtually any person, while the latter would harm every person (adult or otherwise) in a very very short period of time.

I'm also curious what (you all think) will happen to the minors that have taken up vaping and continue that habit into their adulthood? I kinda think that once that person who started under 18 turns 18, many persons in the vaping community will trip over themselves to make sure that 'adult' finds the perfect gear and perfect juice, to help enjoy their vaping experience.

I think threads ON ECF that are titled: The Danger of Vaping or anything that has "kids" in the title is counter-intuitive or a red herring. Are there probably a few idiots who happen to vape who also would let some kid drink eliquid or bleach or alcohol or say make a PV with parts out of the garage and use non-rechargeable batteries and have it explode in his face? - Yes. Is this such a major problem that we have to start threads about it? - NO.

Does it smell of "pot-stirring"? - yes. When one has been here long enough, these patterns start to emerge.

Note: and unless I missed it, I haven't seen the OP return after day one and respond at all.

Last edited:

ckquatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
Milledgeville, GA
People do complain about these drinks, they call them "alcopops". It's just that complaining about them is not yet as in style as complaining about other things so you don't hear about it as much. Take a look at these jerks: http :// alco pop free zone . us
I'm sure that there is at least one whiny organization against more or less every adults only product or activity that exists.

Someone should also add Apple, Berry, and Cherry Skoal to that list... Or are those dip flavors actually marketed towards adults and not kids... (the whole thing makes me sick...)

Sent from somebodys phone I found using Tapatalk.

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
Someone should also add Apple, Berry, and Cherry Skoal to that list... Or are those dip flavors actually marketed towards adults and not kids... (the whole thing makes me sick...)

Sent from somebodys phone I found using Tapatalk.

I "dipped" for a while. The flavors were good but I enjoyed wintergreen. My wife and I also enjoy all variety of flavors of wine.

For vaping I've found the most enjoyable to be vanilla, caramel, toasted tobacco, coffee, cappuccino, root beer, apple, cherry, etc.

For alcohol I enjoy coke, 7 up, tonic, DR Peper, occasional berry vodka, etc.

LET ME BE!!!

I'm not hurting anyone else. Sorry for another rant.

Mohamed

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
USA
PS my niece and I often visit the grocery store near hear. We like Zots. It's a hard shell candy with a bit of fiz or something in the middle. They don't have the same flavors every month so we pick and choose what the have. Watermelon, grape, cherry, sour apple are our favorites. I'm in mid 50's because I like those flavors and enjoy with my niece does that make me a dangerous person for introducing her to flavors? I don't think so. Those flavor creeps can take there story elsewhere...we all enjoy flavors...not just kids.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I think threads ON ECF that are titled: The Danger of Vaping or anything that has "kids" in the title is counter-intuitive or a red herring. Are there probably a few idiots who happen to vape who also would let some kid drink eliquid or bleach or alcohol or say make a PV with parts out of the garage and use non-rechargeable batteries and have it explode in his face? - Yes. Is this such a major problem that we have to start threads about it? - NO.

Does it smell of "pot-stirring"? - yes. When one has been here long enough, these patterns start to emerge.

Note: and unless I missed it, I haven't seen the OP return after day one and respond at all.

Not sure if you addressed the questions I raised.

As far as "pot-stirring" it is on par, for me, to threads that say do such and such, or else eCigs will be banned. You don't want them to be banned do you?

I guess if one is concerned about FDA issues, they are concerned about possible bans.
I'd also say if one is concerned about 'reasonable regulations' one might be concerned about threads that discuss kids and vaping.

Fulgurant

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
I love KFC (Kentucky Fried Chicken); but I don't eat it every day because I know I would be dead in a few years if I did. We don't need to outlaw oversized sodas or trans fat fried french fries or cheese burgers. People just need to learn to use those in moderation. So I agree with you Anjaffm. It's just unfortunate that in the home of the "free" we have certain cities/states doing so much to "protect" us from ourselves that I'm starting not to think I'm in the home of the "free" any more.

Right on.

They can take that KFC when they pry it from my cold, dead, fat, greasy fingers! Hm, actually that doesn't sound so hard to do. Will have to rethink this catch-phrase thing.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Not sure if you addressed the questions I raised.

As far as "pot-stirring" it is on par, for me, to threads that say do such and such, or else eCigs will be banned. You don't want them to be banned do you?

I guess if one is concerned about FDA issues, they are concerned about possible bans.
I'd also say if one is concerned about 'reasonable regulations' one might be concerned about threads that discuss kids and vaping.

I really don't get your point or see any correlation to my comments. Possible "de-facto" bans based on the FDA's past and current actions on vaping is a valid topic for the vaping community. Kids being encouraged to vape or vaping being a danger to kids is baseless fear mongering with no supporting evidence for concern and thus no need to start threads on it.

Uma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 4, 2010
Calif
I really don't get your point or see any correlation to my comments. Possible "de-facto" bans based on the FDA's past and current actions on vaping is a valid topic for the vaping community. Kids being encouraged to vape or vaping being a danger to kids is baseless fear mongering with no supporting evidence for concern and thus no need to start threads on it.
I totally 2nd that.

Isn't this bar for adults only? Why are we always having to debate kids. That's the parents responsibility, not us, not the politicians. I vote for all kids to be raised in juvenile hall until they are proven innocent after age 21. Any kids not proven innocent at that time, can go straight to prison. This saves adults misery, and the states save money by being able to fire half the lawyers, epidemiologists, ANTZ, and social welfare. They really need to stay out of MY business.

Anjaffm

Dragon Lady
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2013
Germany
I'm starting to see a trend here. The OP starts threads that can devolve into "save the children" territory that ANTZ love to spout off about.

The same thing is going on in the German vapers forum at the moment.
People registering in the forum (or reviving an account from 2011 that has only 12 postings since 2011, all of them in "weird" threads), and opening threads with ..uhm.. questionable headlines, in which they try to make vaping responsible for just about anything.
Those thread-starters in the German forum ignore all advice to the contrary, ignore studies etc, "skim over" the links given by the best experts in the forum... and then come back spouting the same crap again.

I agree that there is a definite pattern.

In the German forum, all I am waiting for is a thread like "I have a pimple on my hiney! And I am convinced that this is caused by vaping! Never mind that I have not taken a shower for 4 weeks..."
(caution, irony)

Yes, I see the pattern as well. Nothing like a little FUD, ey? Thankfully, most vapers are not stupid enough to fall for that crap.

(neener neener.... )

permafrying

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2011
montrose co
No kid should buy a vape. No kid should buy cigarettes. That said it's gonna happen either way and it'll more likely lead towards cigarettes then vaping and for the sake of health I'd rather it lead towards vaping. After all the regulation stuff is taken care of. Most people started smoking when they were far underage. Hell I was 12. I had friends that started at 9. To say that vapes suck in kids is ridiculous because it's almost guaranteed that same curiosity that may have pulled that kid into vaping would have pulled that kid into smoking if vapes weren't around. Allot of kids try cigarettes and start smoking everyday or are addicted before they start smoking even. It happens that's life. It sucks and it's not right sure but no matter the parenting or the regulation it'll happen. Hell make cigarettes and see how many new kids get sucked in because there illegal. Same principal applies to our e cigs. There around and can be regulated now. But if there made illegal? Every kid will want to get there hands on one because they'll think it's cooler because they're a bad ... that gets away with breaking the law

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread