What is TCR vs Tc

Status
Not open for further replies.

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
I've got another one of my most likely idiotic middle of the night burning questions. On my mods that have temperature control they usually will have all the usual Metals you know stainless steel nichrome titanium but then they'll also have an option just called TCR or called temperature control TCR. Can someone explain the difference to me like what exactly is TCR compared to temperature control and choosing which metal you're using?

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I've got another one of my most likely idiotic middle of the night burning questions. On my mods that have temperature control they usually will have all the usual Metals you know stainless steel nichrome titanium but then they'll also have an option just called TCR or called temperature control TCR. Can someone explain the difference to me like what exactly is TCR compared to temperature control and choosing which metal you're using?
TC , as you know, is tempature control. This means you set where the cut off temp is and once the coil reaches that temp the mod will not allow you to go higher. Usually results in a warning message.

TCR is the temp control rate. See post b elow. Each metal has its own value or a range of values you can set. Some mods have that hard wired others you may want to set it yourself.
Hope this helps.
:)

Last edited:

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Off hand stainless steel is 000.92 i believe. Just make sure the last 2 digits are 92 and the rest are zeros. Dont move the decimal point. Others escape me at the moment. You can google for the rates tho. Some websites have it listed. Ecf probably does also.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
TCR is the temp control rate. Meaning the speed at which current is delivered. Each metal has its own value or a range of values you can set. Some mods have that hard wired others you may want to set it yourself.
Hope this helps.
I hate to sound disagreeable, but that's wrong; it's not the speed at which current is delivered.

TCR is Temperature Coefficient of Resistance. It defines how much the resistance of a coil material changes with temperature. A mod has to know this in order to be able to calculate the coil's temperature. It may have pre-programmed values (or even curves, because TCR isn't necessarily linear) for common materials such as nickel or titanium. But if you want to use a material that the mod isn't pre-programmed for? Then you enter a TCR value manually (or upload a curve).

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I hate to sound disagreeable, but that's wrong; it's not the speed at which current is delivered.

TCR is Temperature Coefficient of Resistance. It defines how much the resistance of a coil material changes with temperature. A mod has to know this in order to be able to calculate the coil's temperature. It may have pre-programmed values (or even curves, because TCR isn't necessarily linear) for common materials such as nickel or titanium. But if you want to use a material that the mod isn't pre-programmed for? Then you enter a TCR value manually (or upload a curve).
Thanks. I knew i wasn't being totally accurate and expected for someone to correct me. Lol. I will edit my post now.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Rossum, can you tell me why some mods have differences in their settings that are hard wired? An example is an aegis 100 mod (older version that takes 26650 batts) and is set tcr for 420 versus an aegis Solo(which is also 100 watts) that is set at 410? Does battery size come in to play? Just curious. Thx.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
I'm running in TCR mode on a few different mods. A good example would be the Asmodus Colossal and using ss316L wire. Daniel at DSJ Labs does some very thorough TC/TCR testing of mods. So for the Colossal he determined that a setting of 0.00140 using 316L provided the proper TC vape. What he uses for testing I do not know. I'm only guessing but he may be comparing TC on mods to that of the DNA chipset which is widely recognized as one of the best for TC.

I compared Daniel's 140 setting on the Colossal to the vape I get from a DNA-75 and felt the 140 setting was a little too strong so I backed it off to 130. I felt 130 was closest to my DNA mods settings. Like everything, it's all about personal preference.

Also ss316L has a range of 60-150. I change TCR settings to find the number that provides me with the TC vape I'm after, set it and forget it. A couple examples; I like the Colossal set at 0.00130 and on the Aegis Solo at 125 (their default for 316L is 105). Setting TCR is just further customizing TC to suit you.

Last edited:

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
@Sugar_and_Spice on my Aegis Solo's the default TCR's are as follows...

SS 105
TI 410
NI 690

The differences between mods has to do with the chipset used. Battery does not come into play at all.

Rossum, can you tell me why some mods have differences in their settings that are hard wired? An example is an aegis 100 mod (older version that takes 26650 batts) and is set tcr for 420 versus an aegis Solo(which is also 100 watts) that is set at 410? Does battery size come in to play? Just curious. Thx.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I forgot to mention i use titianium wire. My bad.

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
@Sugar_and_Spice on my Aegis Solo's the default TCR's are as follows...

SS 105
TI 410
NI 690

The differences between mods has to do with the chipset used. Battery does not come into play at all.
Thanks. That makes sense.

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
The Forest
@ShowMeTwice , then you agree the tcr effects can be harder hitting (which made me think of rate of delivery vs coil resistance) when you can set them yourself. I have found this to be true also.
Yes, absolutely. I use TCR mode on almost every mod other than my DNA mods. But I still like vaping in wattage mode on a few too. ;)

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA

Oh that makes sense

Reactions: ShowMeTwice

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
I'm running in TCR mode on a few different mods. A good example would be the Asmodus Colossal and using ss316L wire. Daniel at DSJ Labs does some very thorough TC/TCR testing of mods. So for the Colossal he determined that a setting of 0.00140 using 316L provided the proper TC vape. What he uses for testing I do not know. I'm only guessing but he may be comparing TC on mods to that of the DNA chipset which is widely recognized as one of the best for TC.

I compared Daniel's 140 setting on the Colossal to the vape I get from a DNA-75 and felt the 140 setting was a little too strong so I backed it off to 130. I felt 130 was closest to my DNA mods settings. Like everything, it's all about personal preference.

Also ss316L has a range of 60-150. I change TCR settings to find the number that provides me with the TC vape I'm after, set it and forget it. A couple examples; I like the Colossal set at 0.00130 and on the Aegis Solo at 125 (their default for 316L is 105). Setting TCR is just further customizing TC to suit you.
You know I honestly like temperature control but while I get like the general idea of the specific metal TCR kind of just experimenting with the rest of it. Thanks for the name of the person who does the testing so that I can go check them out. I'm always a little worried that I'm going to somehow cause some sort of problem but I guess I don't need to worry too much with a regulated mod because if I set it to something that's it can't do it just simply won't do it at least I assume it won't

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
@AvaOrchid Wouldn’t say your question is idiotic but valid.

To expand on @Rossum excellent response, the TCR value defines how much that metal rises in resistance for every additional °C. Example: Stainless Steel 316L with a TCR value of 0.00095, increases by 0.00095 ohms for every +1°C – usually above a room temperature of 20°C but sometimes it is above 0°C…depends on how the metallurgist measured.

So with this value we can calculate the temperature of a coil by reading it’s rise in resistance. Delta Temperature = (Delta Resistance - Reference Resistance)/(TCR Value x Reference Resistance) + Room Temperature. As an example, a 0.5 ohm SS316L coil with a TCR value of 0.00095 and a room temperature of 25°C needs to rise in resistance by 0.097 ohms to reach 230°C

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
You know I honestly like temperature control but while I get like the general idea of the specific metal TCR kind of just experimenting with the rest of it. Thanks for the name of the person who does the testing so that I can go check them out. I'm always a little worried that I'm going to somehow cause some sort of problem but I guess I don't need to worry too much with a regulated mod because if I set it to something that's it can't do it just simply won't do it at least I assume it won't
Never worry about playing with the TCR values of the wire, Stainless Steel is an alloy that differs in composition from manufacturer to manufacturer, sometimes even from batch to batch. I've run SS316L at 95, 98, 105, 110 and so on, it all depends on the wire you have.

If the TCR you set is too low, the mod will hit temperature protection before the wire is up to the temperature you set. If the TCR is too high, temperature control won't kick in until it's past the temperature you set. Either of those will give you a poor quality TC, with the TCR set too high the mod will act more like it's in Wattage mode.

Play with the TCR values, you want it so when your coil is dry the mod cuts the power back so the wick won't burn but still provides adequate power for a good vape when the wick is saturated.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

As others have Mentioned, TCR is the Numerical Value of How Much Resistance Change there should be per every 1 Degree Celsius increase in Temperature.

This is how the Mod does TC. By measuring the Change in Resistance. And then Multiplying this amount of Resistance Change by a TCR Value to calculate how much Hotter the Coil should be.

A TC Mod usually has some Built In TCR Values for Common Coil wire types. Like 316/316L SS or Ni200 Nickel or Titanium

But if you are a Less Common wire type, then you can enter in your Own TCR Value for the Alloy you are using.

Or sometimes, a TC Mod just doesn't seem to work the way you Want it to when using say the Built It SS setting and a SS Coil. So you can Tweak the TC by trying Different TCR Values.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
So can a TCR mod also be descibed simply a TC mod ?.

TC (Temperature Control) is the action a vape device performs. So calling a mod a “TC mod” would be fitting. TCR (Temperature Coefficient of Resistance) is a numerical value that is needed by the vape device in order for it to perform Temperature Control. So calling a mod “TCR mod” doesn’t really work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread