What is TCR vs Tc

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
So a piece of metal of SS 316L will always have a TCR of 92. If it doesn't, it's not really 316L as specified by the standard for that particular alloy. This can happen if the metal/wire has impurities or slightly different ratios of the metal used to manufacture the final product/wire.
The acceptable variations in the composition will change the TCR value, and it's still classed as 316L.

316 & 316L.png

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
No, I really don't think so.

You're Right. I was thinking in Open Form with a Base Resistance Unit of 1 Ohm.

And when Calculated for 1 Ohm, the Multiplied term isn't relevant because you are Multiplying by 1.

You have to Multiply by initial Base Resistance else a 100 Ohm Wire would have the Same Resistance change as say a 0.01 Ohm Wire. And that Doesn't make sense.

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
You can also see that Kanthal has a TCR of 2, which is why you can't use it for temp control, there simply isn't any appreciable change in resistance to measure with heating.
My Hohm Wrecker will TC Kanthal and NiCr but it doesn't use TCR values for those. It works quite well but does require fine tuning and tweaking for good performance. ;)
Hohm Wrecker G2 LE.jpg

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
My Hohm Wrecker will TC Kanthal and NiCr but it doesn't use TCR values for those. It works quite well but does require fine tuning and tweaking for good performance. ;)
Can you tune it to the point where it will produce a satisfying vape, but won't scorch a brand-new, totally dry cotton wick?

TrollDragon

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2014
NS, Canada
Can you tune it to the point where it will produce a satisfying vape, but won't scorch a brand-new, totally dry cotton wick?
Not exactly. If the wick is saturated from the start it will throttle back to 0W as it goes bone dry, but putting in a new dry wick can send it up in flames until the FSK settings are tuned.

It's no where near DNA quality or performance by any stretch. Even with the last firmware that Hohm Tech released it required a lot of tinkering to keep it consistant. Worked better with sub ohm coil heads than rebuildable stuff and every time you removed and replaced the atty it would require more fine tuning.

It was an awesome proof of concept that worked, but to refine it to the point of Evolv's Plug and Play TC would have made the mod out of reach price wise for the consumer market.

Ole Phil Busardo has a few angry videos about the Hohm Wrecker where he tried to setup the Kanthal TC the same way you would do with regular TC wire on an DNA etc... Flames every time but he wasn't using it correctly.

This guy here does a dry cotton burn test with it.

• Informative
Reactions: Rossum

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
Ping, you are in "TC-SS" mode where it does skip over the 105 TCR setting. That's the Solo's default SS316L setting. It needs to be changed to "TC-TCR" mode for you to change the TCR.

To get the Solo from TC-SS to TC-TCR mode press the Fire button 3x then press the +/- button to scroll through the different modes. When it displays TC-TCR mode press the Fire button again until the cursor lands on "TCR" (3x). Then press either +/- to increase/decrease the TCR setting to what you want.

After you made your adjustments you can either hold the Fire button for 1 second and it will save and exit the settings. Or just leave it and the Solo will save and exit the settings mode after 5 seconds.

Easy. :)
Oops, it won't change. Any other suggestion?
f4c2cb3cc12f5cbdbca382be6d921a58.jpg
4ed3b434970c8af9fdd0d9e4e02a66de.jpg

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk

ShowMeTwice

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2016
the Universe
Oops, it won't change. Any other suggestion?
f4c2cb3cc12f5cbdbca382be6d921a58.jpg
4ed3b434970c8af9fdd0d9e4e02a66de.jpg

Sent from my HD1925 using Tapatalk
In the top photo you changed to TC-TCR mode and you got it set to 125.

Looks like you then went back to TC-SS mode in the bottom photo where the TCR is 105. Don't go back to TC-SS mode.

Once you have it setup in TC-TCR mode leave it in that mode to vape. You are then vaping in TC mode using your ss316L TCR setting of 125. That is how it works.

When you change back to TC-SS mode it will always be a TCR of 105 as that is coded in the chip.

Let me know.

Reactions: Pinggolfer

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
The Clemson Tigers State
In the top photo you changed to TC-TCR mode and you got it set to 125.

Looks like you then went back to TC-SS mode in the bottom photo where the TCR is 105. Don't go back to TC-SS mode.

Once you have it setup in TC-TCR mode leave it in that mode to vape. You are then vaping in TC mode using your ss316L TCR setting of 125. That is how it works.

When you change back to TC-SS mode it will always be a TCR of 105 as that is coded in the chip.

Let me know.
Thank you, I didn't know TR-TCR could be used for stainless steel. Now I can try different settings. I didn't stay at a Holiday inn Express last night. [emoji3]

Sent from OnePlus 7 Pro 5G

Reactions: ShowMeTwice
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread