What is your opinion of the new batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLeigh

ECF Veteran
Sep 8, 2009
Wisconsin
I just wanted to update my battery saga. I assumed my purple auto worked (or rather, didn't work) this way because of design flaws. That turns out not to be the case. I placed an order the other day and also put in the comments that I needed a new batt, but that since all the purple ones were of the new design, I wanted a white, old-style auto. I got the order today and they sent me another purple auto (cheeky devils! ;)). It works beautifully! I love it! :wub:

pggylb

ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2010
Southeast Louisiana
I didn't recognize this thread as being my own with the edited title till I saw my sn below it.

I have decided to keep my purple auto that I originally bought and did not take advantage of the SMILIN guarantee even tho I could have. After reading the advice given, I stuck toothpicks in the holes to make the draw a lil harder. Still had problems. Then I realized that I put the toothpicks in the wrong holes. It was the notches in the carto I was toothpicking. The batt itself has 3 holes.

Ding ding! I learned something.

Anyway, after toothpicking the correct holes and got the draw to my liking, it's finally perfect and I'm favoing my purple auto over the others. Loads of vapor and great TH.

MechTechVpr

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
South PA
I am having all kinds of problems with all my batteries now...I am starting to wander what the Heck I’m doing to them...but I have read everything I can find on maintaining, tweaking and battery self help and nothing is working.

I had a reg auto (my original kit bat) that had been perfect....a little stiff on air flow/draw (but not milkshake hard) and the switch activated instantly with the slightest draw...the perfect replacement for the analog
THEN, it started to get the thick shake through a straw draw so I read up, did the alcohol bath (just to the threads & post, so not to wet the switch) centered the post (I think) and blew it out ever so lightly. It worked better but not a perfect as before. Now it is like someone drilled 1/4 in holes in it... nothing but air! and I have to suck like a shop-vac to get the switch to kick in....there is so little resistance that I end up with a mouth full of juice before it lights up...

but wait.. there's more

I just got my nifty blue XL auto last week and it was a close second to perfection (to my now defunct reg auto) ... for two days ...before it started to get the milkshake syndrome...tried all the tricks ... it got a little better then all of the sudden the switch stuck on (till the cut off kicked in) didn't realize it happened till I saw smoke coming out of my shirt pocket. now I cant make the switch trip unless I suck directly on the bat and it wont shut off till I suck on the other end (or after cut off time) I can feel the switch working when I do that but it just wont work with regular use....

And... My manual XL is starting to get funky as well

I can't imagine what I am doing to these batteries to cause them to turn on me like they are .... I am fairly gentle with them... I don't toss them around or roll around in the mud with them or anything.... I wipe/dab at every carto change to make sure no juice is getting into them ...etc

if anyone has a suggestion I would greatly appreciate it ... and don't hold back...I need to know if I can be doing something wrong here. I am not going to send these back until I know beyond a reasonable doubt that I am not causing the problem

And Adrenalynn... If I may be so bold to ask for your comment/assistance ...think I need your superior scientific mind (and product knowledge)

I have a theory and questions: Because the problems I'm having seem to wax and wane I am getting the sense that something is floating around in my batts...manufacturing gunk, slag from parts, etc and/or I am somehow introducing a debris/contaminant into the innards and clogging up the works

Q1: If an auto switch were to get stuck part open would it create the "empty straw" effect ... in other words the complete lack of air restriction that my reg auto has now

Q2: are you (is anyone) familiar with the innards enough to know if there is a rubber diaphragm in the auto switch
2a: I am thinking of using QD Cleaner to completely flush all orifices of the faulty batts but don't want to cause more problems ...If not familiar, QD is an electronics parts cleaner that is plastic (and synthetic) friendly ... it will effect rubber (true rubber) and some similar materials though ... would it be safe to try. It has a very high flash point so it dissipates almost instantly (although this sometime draw humidity out of the air, would just have to follow with light air).

I really would like to solve this battery issue without having to rely on "the worlds greatest warranty" if possible. Steve and Val have been great about it but one of these batts is already a replacement and the other a replacement for a replacement (replacing obvious mechanical failures; sticking switch, inoperative switch) but I just would like to see if they can be revived.

ANY COMMENT/HELP IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED....

and sorry for the length ...I tend to get wordy after being up all night ....for the forth night in a row) insomnia sucks!

Steve

MechTechVpr

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
South PA
I have had a few problems, but this company is the best (V4L), you can not beat their customer service... I am just trying to help sort things out... see what I am doing wrong... but all I have to do is let them know I have an issue and magically a new battery appears!!
.... They have really pushed their supplier on quality and actually have a bellow average failure rate.... Really, these guys take customer service to a new level ....give them a shot, you will be hooked like I was!!

DrkLashes

ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
www.facebook.com
Well, I don't know if I'm just lucky or if I have the lungs of a Hoover and never realized it... Just received my pink auto shorty this Friday and been trying it out... I might be one of the few, but I love this thing! It's been working absolutely great - not a single complaint and I haven't had to use any rigs to mine. I actually might even like this auto as much, if not maybe even a little bit more than my manual battery. (and that's saying a LOT!!!!!) Dunno bout anyone else- but I'm smilin! ;)

Last edited:

wisteelersfan

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2010
Wisconsin
All my autos I love. I had one that I had to pop the center post up on a bit but after that I think they're great. If I could make any changes, I'd just try and lighten the draw a little. Make it more like a manual. That being said though, I understand it may not even be possible due to the need for a vacuum switch. All in all, I love them.

MechTechVpr

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
South PA
All my autos I love. I had one that I had to pop the center post up on a bit but after that I think they're great. If I could make any changes, I'd just try and lighten the draw a little. Make it more like a manual. That being said though, I understand it may not even be possible due to the need for a vacuum switch. All in all, I love them.

I have kind of been able to center the posts but I have not been at all successful at raising one ....how do you do that ??

MechTechVpr

ECF Veteran
Mar 2, 2010
South PA
Well, I don't know if I'm just lucky or if I have the lungs of a Hoover and never realized it... ........................................................................;)

A hoover DrK !..............lol ........... Thanks for lightening me back up a bit ...I was starting to get to serious dealing with my possessed batts ... its important to be able to laugh too !!

I was the same way with my auto regular until it turned on me ... I really don't want to bug Val, Steve till I exhaust all possible (realistic) cures ...My manual XL has actually responded to a little TLC .... going to do a bit of tech research see if i can get some design specs (that are not top secret) but guess i can really make them any worse than they are now regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread