Status
Not open for further replies.

volume control

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Mass
Im curious how you guys were drawn to make the switch to vaping. Ill tell my story to start it off.

I honestly though ecigs were a gimmick. One night my friend was over, and i asked him if he had any cigs. He told me he quit and was using ecigs. He pulled out a kr808 V2. He asked me if i wanted to try it out, and i did, very skeptical(20 year smoker). I got a throat hit and was blown away. It was then i decided im ready to do something about smoking, something i thought id do till the grave. Its been 4 months without a single analog, i have 2 kr808s, an ego mini, a kgo, and an eroll(oh how i love my eroll and some high mg juice). I feel a lot better, and i think everyone who switches feels the same.

What were your initial thoughts, what made you decide ecigs where the choice for you? Where you once a skeptical doubter of ecigs?

I knew I had to do something. I was starting to get winded going up the stairs (which is not normal for somebody who's 43 and weighs 145 pounds soaking wet). I was coughing at night, in the morning, and throughout the day. I had way too many headaches, sinus infections, ear infections, and diseases that "settled in my lungs" and then set up light housekeeping.

Let's not discuss the small fortune this was costing, including antibiotics, health care, and cigs themselves.

My father died of...well, something, they wrote down heart failure in doctor-ese on the certificate. But he'd had lung cancer, a valve replaced in his heart, more angioplasties than I care to think about, pneumonia several times, you get the idea. He was also a four pack a day smoker.

I felt trapped. Cold turkey didn't work. Patch? Maybe I should wear four at a time. Lozenge? Please. (Hic). Wellbutrin, Chantix, forget it. I nearly went homicidal on Chantix.

Then we saw an ad for the Blu electronic and a little voice to my left said, "Maybe you should look into that?"

I was skeptical. The second time I saw the commercial, I started reading. And reading. And reading. I won't do anything about anything until I've read everything I can find on it. Most of what I read was positive, and the stuff that was negative had a clear agenda. The worst the fairest articles could say is, "We don't have a long-term result on this, but we do on smoking and know it's terrible for you. Early indications are this is far better."

I went In Search Of a Blu disposable to try, and found it at my first stop, a local grocery store. I already knew what to expect (or, not much), but I wanted proof of concept.

Twelve hours later, I had proof of concept. Yeah, it tasted like burning electrical insulation. Throat hit stank. And so on. I'd read all that on the reviews. I also smoked less than half what I would have during that time period and wasn't really trying.

I made the n00b mistake of the cig-alike, but it did help me cut back 90% on my smoking and gave me something that felt and looked familiar. The first night I took two of those to my mother's for dinner and ended up coming home with only one of them. She'd stolen the other one. As I had intended. :) I had four so it was no big deal, and I ended up running a few cartos and a charger over the next day when hers ran out of power.

I stepped up to the Volt X2 and the cigs cut back even further. Over time, they went to zero.

Today? I own a VAMO, numerous X2's, and DIY my own liquids. I feel ten thousand times better and my budget is also far, far healthier.

Iffy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 3, 2011
Florida Suncoast
What made you decide to use ecigs?

RIP.gif

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
I wanted to quit.. but I didn't want to quit.

I used to be a big fan of "Deadliest Catch" I was watching "After the Catch" one night and saw one of the guys using an e-cig. Hmmm I had seen some of those at a kiosk at my local mall but dismissed it as a gimmick. I did a couple google searchs and found the site that sold what he was using (something with the word "green" in it if I remember correctly) The kit was around $70. I needed to see these things in person so I went to the mall. I ended up spending $108 on a "smoking everywhere" kit. I was told the prefilled cartridge was equal to a whole pack of cigarettes. It wasn't bad but it didn't taste too good either. By the time I was home an hour later I could tell I needed another cartridge! WTH!

So I started researching more and found this place and learned that a cartridge didn't equal a pack of cigarettes and so on and so forth. I bought a few more things, tried a few juices, vaped and smoked. When I felt that I had enough equipment (and the right kind of equipment) to sustain me.. I finally smoked my last cigarette. It took me three months. I was able to quit using a 510 batt, dripping chocolate flavored juice (from totally wicked) into a SR atty. I went up the ladder from there.

I can't believe after 2 and a half years I still just as obsessed with it as I was to begin with. The spending has slowed way down. I now know what I like and need and buy accordingly. when I get bored I do something about it... diying my own juice is fun, rebuilding and rewicking my own coils is fun. I love to see all the new stuff that constantly comes out and I'm fortunate that I'm not tempted to actually buy any of it. I pick and choose what I purchase carefully.

Grimwald

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 12, 2012
Lawrence KS
I was a 40 year 2-3 pad a day smoker. I had tried all sorts of ways to quit...mostly I was using lozenges to cut down some. I think I saw an ad on some website about some brand of e-cig and started researching. I ended up here and, in the middle of the night, I ordered my first starter kit. It was more of a whim than anything, and I never considered that I would actually quit. Just hoped to cut down some. My kit arrived 3 days later and 3 days after that I had my last cigarette. Funny...vaping found me...not the other way around.

T41CK

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2011
Taylors Falls, Minnesota
I first decided to switch trying to save loads of money I spent every month. Typically my fiance' and I spent anywhere from 4-5 hundred dollars on cigs a month. Quitting cigs actually persuaded us to go back to school as crazy as this sounds. Smoking cigs made us some what lazy and groggy, not to mention all of the other harmful effects that it can have on you. With vaping I feel much comfortable because I a pretty much have an idea of what is going in my body.

joelle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 29, 2012
Virginia
MorpheusPM, my story is similar. Have had a rough couple of years, every bug that comes around seemed to set up shop in my house. My blood pressure was scary high and I was having trouble keeping up at work (I'm a gardener at a Botanical Garden). Had a couple of friends that had vMods from Vapage and they seemed to be doing really well with them. Kept up with them and when Vapage had their 2for1 sale in December Hubby and I decided to take the plunge. Still slip up occasionally and smoke the odd analog but more than a month in and we've only bought a few packs of cigs as opposed to at least 5 cartons each. Am determined to totally quit the stinkies, I think I need to use a higher nic content so I've ordered some to try when the cravings get really bad, wish me luck!

So far I'm completely entranced with this new world I've discovered! Who knew I'd have so many choices of flavors!!

The best part of getting off of regular cigs is the freedom, I didn't expect to feel so liberated!! :laugh:

SilentScreams

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2013
Cottekill,NY
After 24 years of smoking I was tired of not being able to breath at times. I needed a fan blowing on my face when I slept or I couldn't breath at all. If I sneezed I was out of breath for a few seconds. I decided I had tried them once but it was years ago it was time to look into them again. This time things were different and it worked.

2 months later I no longer need the fan sneezing doesn't cause shortness of breath, and I all around feel much better.

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
I acceidently ended up here.

I smoked 2 pad for 30 years. I tried quitting a few times, tried Wellbutrin, nothing worked. Finances are tight and my husband told me no more cigarettes. Well, when I ran out I was really a nasty person, and he would give in and buy me more. Meanwhile, a few people at his job had ecigs. Never even heard of them.

I did a little research and purchased a Mistic and charger at WalMart. Despite the chemical taste, I did get my nicotine, so it was okay. And better than nothing. I finshed off the analogs I had, and never bought any more. I went online and got the Blu Premium 100s kits. That was a bit better, and at least their carts taste a little better. I joined ECF and learned a whole lot.

I bought some juice and some empty carts, and that is when I realized that the choice was mine. And that I wanted to hang around. I have been vaping for a couple of months now. I still have the Blu, but will upgrade soon. It is not always easy, but it is better than it was before. :)

Uno mas

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 5, 2013
San Antonio, TX
This might be a little hard to believe but...

The reason I actually started researching ecigs was because of a deal being run on Groupon (cig lookalike type), seriously no joke, as with everything I buy that I am not familiar with I "Google it" and I stumbled upon the ECF. I spent a major part of that weekend reading and picking up what ever information that was available and by Sunday evening I ordered my eGo starter kit. Simply just dumb luck, I had no idea that ecigs had evolved into this wonderful world we now enjoy :)

The decisions behind making my first purchase is pretty much like many have already posted, health and cost primarily for me...

Last edited:

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
I always liked smoking. I like nicotine. My chest didnt feel the same way. I quit smoking a bunch of times. Andrew Dice Clay was on Howard Stern a few years ago promoting Green Smoke. This was the first time I had ever heard of e cigs. Instantly I decided to try in effort to have my cake and eat it too. I lasted 6 months then went back to analogs. Last year I gave it another try. Vaped G.S for a month then went on to bigger and better devices. So I have Andrew Dice to thank for Quitting!!!

volume control

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Mass
I always liked smoking. I like nicotine. My chest didnt feel the same way. I quit smoking a bunch of times. Andrew Dice Clay was on Howard Stern a few years ago promoting Green Smoke. This was the first time I had ever heard of e cigs. Instantly I decided to try in effort to have my cake and eat it too. I lasted 6 months then went back to analogs. Last year I gave it another try. Vaped G.S for a month then went on to bigger and better devices. So I have Andrew Dice to thank for Quitting!!!

Classic! I remember him smoking doing standup. Havent seen anything recently

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
This might be a little hard to believe but...

The reason I actually started researching ecigs was because of a deal being run on Groupon (cig lookalike type), seriously no joke, as with everything I buy that I am not familiar with I "Google it" and I stumbled upon the ECF. I spent a major part of that weekend reading and picking up what ever information that was available and by Sunday evening I ordered my eGo starter kit. Simply just dumb luck, I had no idea that ecigs had evolved into this wonderful world we now enjoy :)

The decisions behind making my first purchase is pretty much like many have already posted, health and cost primarily for me...

I remember that groupon deal LOL.. I even posted it here cause I thought it was a great starter kit! I'm glad you "bit" and found us :)

eeevilyn.

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 30, 2012
WI
moGood stories from everyone!

I liked smoking and nicotine, but the last couple of years I had hated the smell and the after taste. Yuck!

I hadn't been able to quit any other way. There was some website I was looking at and V2 cigs were advertised with a sale, I thought "why not" and ordered. Now I have moved on to other juices and devices, but don't miss smoking much at all anymore.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread