What made you decide to use ecigs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JudeD

ECF Veteran
May 2, 2012
PA
After smoking for 25 years PAD+, I quit using Chantix (I didn't have the horrible experience so many have, just vivid dreams and some nausea at first). But like so many other fools, after not smoking for eight months, I decided to have one "just to see what it would be like" and I was soon back to smoking full-time. During the whole eight months of not smoking, I was still always thinking about cigs, thinking about how I wasn't having any, and wanting one.

There were so many places and situations in which I couldn't smoke because not everyone knew I had gone back to smoking. So when I saw a youtube video of Katherine Heigl smoking on The Letterman Show, I thought, "Hey, I could use that when I can't have a real cig." I went to a local tobacco shop and asked if they carried them and they had disposables. They had vanilla, banana, and tobacco, but of course I thought, "Who in their right mind would want a banana flavored smoke?" and I bought the tobacco flavored one. Not bad. This could work when I can't have a real one. I googled e-cigs to find out more about them and found ECF. After reading through a bunch of threads, I ordered an eGo-C kit and some juice (mostly tobacco flavors, but a couple others). When the kit arrived, I naturally set it up and tried it to make sure it would work in those situations when I couldn't smoke and I was happy with it. I mindlessly picked it up to vape as I worked at my laptop. I did the same the next day and at the end of the day, I realized I had only had two cigs.

I was astounded, and even more astounded the next morning when I had my cup of coffee and found myself wanting the PV instead of a real cig. It finally dawned on me that this could be the thing that helped me quit instead of just a device for occasional situational use. As I vaped, I did more research on here and ordered more toys and that was eight and a half months ago. Those two cigs were my last two and I haven't wanted one since. I have a pack sitting on my desk so I don't ever feel the panic of not being able to have one and that works to keep me from ever wanting one. I don't think about smoking the way I did with every other quit and I have no desire to try one just to see what it would be like. I love the taste, the smell, the gadgetry, how much better I feel, and I love, love, love the fact that this isn't something I'm doing while I'm suffering through not smoking--I honestly enjoy it more than I ever enjoyed smoking. I doubt there are many who can say they enjoy Chantix, the patch, lozenges, or nic gum more than they ever enjoyed smoking.

I now have e-Go Cs, 510-T's, a Volt, a Provari, e-Go twists, and e-Rolls. I have a wide variety of juices and the only ones I never use are the tobacco flavors I insisted on at the beginning. I have cartos, clearos, tanks, plastic e-Go tanks, attys, DIY supplies, and backups for my backups for my backups. I'm thinking of adding a Reo to my collection.

2coils

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 29, 2012
New Jersey
To be honest I had given up on ever quitting the smokes and had resigned myself to it. I had tried cold turkey, gum, patch burned my skin, lozenge tasted nasty, never lasted longer than about 2 weeks. Everyone was miserable.
Then last summer, my mom told me she quit using e cigs. I never thought that would happen in my life. I figured if she could do this, then I could too. Started with the ecig in July, had last smoke the end of August.
Now? Don't really even want to be around the smokes. The more I am away from them, the more the smoke smells like a bunch of chemicals. Wild, never noticed that while I smoked.
Me and my MOM both quit together. We noticed the longer we are away from cigs the more nasty second hand smoke smells!!

Im 27 and had been smoking since I was 12. I come form a family of smokers so I was not surprised that I was quickly up to 2 PAD. Recently I started to see my health diminish. I could barley walk my dog around the block without getting short of breath. I had gained some weight that has not helped the issues. Glen(Brutus Buckeye) got me interested in vaping last year, and in december I took the plunge and got started. So far its been great but Im ready graduate from my eGo-T setup to something better.

echofinder

ECF Veteran
Jan 8, 2012
Damascus, MD
www.reddit.com
Throat hit, and only that. I smoked two packs a day, and for me it was that awesome warm burning feeling; not the brand, not the flavor, not the nicotine. I had tried some of the mall cig-styles, but it felt like air.

When my friend let me try his eGo though, and that vapor smacked me harder than a marb red, I knew it was time.

CamelKicker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 10, 2010
Vaporville, USA
To try and quit smoking analogs like most, still smoke some analogs but consumption has been cut back.

Every other method of NRT does not give you the sensation of inhaling and blowing "smoke" along with the hand / mouth association of smoking.

I have been on and off of them the past couple of years, hopefully this time it will stick:2c:

peakcomm

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2013
Somewhere in the US in my RV
Just after the first of the year, an article on the Njoy King appeared in one of the two dozen or so tech-oriented blogs I follow. It was very short, but generally positive. I'd already tried nearly every smoking cessation method out there, but this sounded different. The article noted the offer of a "free" sample of the Njoy (just $3.99 s&h!), so I bit.

While I waited for it to arrive, I set out to do some research and find out if smokers were really successful in cutting down their use of tobacco with these things. One link led to another, I found myself at ECF, and I immersed myself in the experiences of the many users here. Before the free sample even arrived, I had placed an order for a 510 starter kit, a few carts pre-filled with RY4 and a sample-size bottle of Caramel Cappuccino juice.

The 510 got here first. I had already smoked half a pack before the afternoon mail delivery, but I spent the rest of the day playing with my new toy and realized at bedtime that I had "forgotten" to smoke for the rest of the day. Happy, happy!

Over the next several days, I learned the limitations of a cig-alike battery. Between my nearly non-stop vaping and occasionally lending one to my SO to play with, about once a day I found myself without a working e-cig. So I had an analog while I waited for the 510 to recharge. By day four, I knew this was going to work. I ordered an eGO-C kit, a eGo pass-through, and about a dozen e-juice samples.

On day five, the Njoy arrived. And it wasn't bad -- vape compared well to the 510 and it became my backup when the other batts were dead. (I'd definitely pick one up again in a pinch.) In that role, it lasted until the other supplies started arriving.

Today is day 12. I haven't had a cigarette in a week. Unlike every other quit-smoking method I've tried, I've had no stress and no cravings that a hard-hitting vape session didn't satisfy. I see no turning back.

akatina

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 14, 2013
Greenville, SC
Today is day 12. I haven't had a cigarette in a week. Unlike every other quit-smoking method I've tried, I've had no stress and no cravings that a hard-hitting vape session didn't satisfy. I see no turning back.
Congrats on the switch! I'm right there with you on no stress and no cravings, something I didn't think would be possible based on my previous "attempts".

clnire

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 15, 2013
Florida
I was a smoker for 40 years, about a pack a day. My husband was a 3 PAD smoker till about 15 years ago when the doctor told him he had high blood pressure and to quit. so he did. Just like that, the end, no more. I couldn't do that! I was a closet smoker for the next 15 years, got down to less than 1/2 pack a day but I just could not give up the smoking habit. I hated the smell, the mess, what it was doing to me. Last December (2012) I decided to try an E cig. Saw an ad for Blu on TV and googled. I could get them at my local Walgreens! So off I went. Blu was too expensive at $10 a disposable, so I bought an Njoy and got a coupon for a Finity. I tried the Njoy and although nothing like the "real" thing, I decided I could do this. Had to get off those nasty things. Turns out the Njoy came with a charger and I could by prefilled cartomizers. I then tried a Finity disposable and liked it better than the Njoy. Bought the kit that came with 2 batteries, 5 cartridges and a PCC. THEN! I found ECF. The rest is history. I learned to refill cartridges (cartomizers), and although my learning killed my Njoy battery, I still have the Finity.

I have since purchased an eGo kit and am in vaping heaven! The options, the flavors, so much better than those nasty things. It's been 2 months now, and I will never go back. I will work to get my nic level down to 0, but no cravings, any "problems" I have solved by drinking lots of plain water. Read somewhere vaping can lead to symptoms of dehydration, so water it is! And although I never enjoyed downing bottles of plain water, now it's the only way to go cuz I get my flavor from my juice.

Congratulations to everyone who has managed to give up the killing sticks for this much "healthier" ??? alternative. I also read that Nic is really no worse than caffeine, just everything in moderation. So Vape on my friends! I will never go back!

Thank you for sharing your stories.

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
I'm a tech freak so if you add electronics to anything I probably want it. To be honest it was that at first then when I quit smoking I was hooked. Most of my time is spent developing for android and tinkering with my e-cig collection.

As my health improved and I researched more about them I became a huge supporter and actively discuss it with any smokers who approach me.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Whodoo

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 27, 2013
Missouri, USA
I was a pack a day for smoker for 17 years, off & on I would use Nicorette lozenges & had a few successes here & there but always went back to smoking.

Just before Christmas this year I decided to quit & used the patch...it did not work. Even though I wasn't smoking, I wanted to. So, after a week I went back to the nicorrette lozenges. They kept me awake late at night, past 3am, and I couldn't get up early for work.

So, in a frenzy I searched the net & found a local mall kiosk retailer: supreme nicotine. I spent way too much & bought crappy hardware, but I'm 3 months into this, smoke free, and finally enjoying it.

Steeler Girl

ECF Veteran
Sep 28, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
I smoked 2+pad for about 23 years. Starting very early on I would develop bronchitis twice a year, every year without fail. My md eventually labeled me chronic bronchitis at age 20. Did that stop me? Heck no! I loved my Marlboro Reds and in 23 years of smoking never strayed. Over the years I tried to quit multiple times. I tried the patch. Smoked with it on. I tried the gum. Smoked while chewing it. I tried welbutrin and may as well have taken a tylenol. I figured I would smoke till I died. Which at my rate would be way before I was ready.

In October 2011 at age 36 I got really sick. Started as the dreaded bronchitis that would not go away. Eventually turned to pneumonia. Was in and out of the md's every other week. Finally landing in the er. 7 different antibiotics and multiple steroids and nothing would work. Changed md's in desperation. New doc said I had now developed asthma as well. Prescribed me to a home nebulizer (breathing machine) every four hours. Otherwise I could barely catch a breath. Needless to say I smoked through it all and now I was on a breathing machine at age 37. This went on for about 7 months.

One day a friend said you should try ecigs and told me about V2. I placed an order for their biggest kit that day. Upon receiving it I threw my Marlboros away and never looked back. I know not a lot of people on this forum care for V2 but I honestly believe they saved my life. That was about 9 and a half months ago. Since then I have came off the breathing machine and my lung xrays show no damage. In fact the dr says it looks like I quit smoking 10 years ago.

Now I use a vamo, a vv gripper, a kgo vv and eGo twists. Of course. Still use my V2 as well.

Last edited:

Kopfstimmen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 12, 2012
Ecigs found me as well. My sister came to visit from the US, and on the way to the airport I was concerned if she would let me smoke in the car. (Ordinarily, I wouldn't be too concerned about what other people want in my car, but come on, it's my little sister.) :)

Turns out that she was the one that was concerned, and asked if she could vape in the car with her Mistic. I said sure, and she vaped and I smoked all the way home. A few days later, I tried hers, then ordered a Mistic online. During her visit, I started googling, and found my way here. A few months after that, I created an account and posted my desparate call for recommendations on an upgrade. I ended up with a KGO that I still love and use.

About 6 months later, I had started hiking, and in the middle of the hike, knowing I had a pack and a half left, I decided that I would finish the half pack that day and keep the last pack as "emergency backup". I haven't smoked since, and the unopened pack is still in my glove box. Not necessary to the story, but I'm very proud of that fact, so I'm including it. :)

Now, just over a year later, my sister and I are both rocking Provaris, my girlfriend has a Silver Bullet, and my co-worker has an eGo Twist, and hasn't smoked in well over a month.

There. 4 stories for the price of one. :)

fourthrok

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2012
Watertown, NY
I was a heavy smoker for 43 years. I tried a couple of cheapo drugstore methods to quit when I was expecting my first baby. Uber fail. Later I tried the patch. Bomb. Nothing ever got me past 24 hours...I'd be back smoking every time. And every time I tried to quit...I ended up smoking more than I did before I tried. I figured out that there was no way a lazenge, patch, gum, or pill was going to work for me because I had a two pronged addiction: nicotine and the hand to mouth habit.

Strangely...the hand to mouth habit is the harder of the two for me to kick. So now..with the e-cig, I won't even try!

I don't recall when I first heard about e-cigs. I think it was sometime in early 2011, but I assumed it would be very expensive and hard to get. Something only the privileged and rich had access to. Like movie stars and such. Then I saw an ad on Facebook for the Greensmokes. I looked into them, but didn't want anyone charging my CC every month to send me cartomizers. So I kept looking.

Found a cig-a-like I liked (Safe Cig), but I found it out was expensive as I researched more. Went with V2..then shortly after that I found the Volt. It just kind of went from there. Someone introduced me to the vGo. Loved the long battery life! Then someone else got me to try the kGo. I messed around with those and eGos awhile. Mostly used the X2s from SI though. Then a friend gave me a 3.7 Gripper. And the "monster" was released. The rest, as they say, is history. Now I have mechanical and VV APVs and am in vaping la-la land. Still use that 3.7 Gripper, too!

BUT...bottom line: from my first vape on that Safe Cig back in Sept. of 2011 I never again smoked another cigarette. Mission accomplished!

pcrdude

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 20, 2013
Did 1.5 PAD for 35 years. Heard about cigalikes, bought an Njoy. Next day, I bought a slim 510 batt with cartos and an eGo 1100 with a CE4+. Finished the pack I was on, and gave the rest away about two weeks later.

I never started vaping to quit smoking!!! I was going to add it on to smoking. Vaping is just way better. :D

Now I have about 10 clearos with different juices, the 1100 mAh, a 900 mAh twist, a 650mAh, and a mini 350mAh (all eGos) as well as an eVic.

It's only been three weeks.

;)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread