Status
Not open for further replies.

DC2

Tootie Puffer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 21, 2009
San Diego
I didn't want to quit smoking, I just wanted to stop my wife from complaining that I smelled bad after I had a cigarette...
Especially since I didn't even believe her that I smelled bad.

About five years ago I saw someone walking by our table as he was leaving the restaurant we were having dinner.
He was using a Blu as he was walking out, and as he passed our table I asked him what it was.

He told me it was an electronic cigarette, and gave me a Blu card.
I thought it was the stupidest idea I'd ever heard of and threw the card away.

About one year later my sister comes into town for Father's Day and pulls out an njoy NPro after dinner.
She suggested I try it, and the next day I went and bought my own.
:)

jimmyh

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 17, 2012
Niagara Falls NY
I needed to do something for my health. I was fearful I wouldn't be alive in a year. I couldn't breathe anymore going up the steps. I was getting chest pains. I tried quitting several times before. I would quit gain 10 pounds start to smoke again, quit gain 10 more. It was a vicious cycle I was in. I will beat the smoking with vaping and I also have started my diet so things are looking up.

xanderxman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2012
Ptown, VA
I had been wanting to quit for a while, which was different from my other attempts to quit. I never really wanted to quit before. I had tried an Njoy a few years back but went right back to smoking. I happened to download a game for my iPhone and met a few people on the forum for that game. One of them happened to be a member of this forum as well and had a link with a note to PM for details. So I did.

He pointed me here and helped me with some pointers on juice and a setup. Ever since, I have been cig free. It may sound nerdy, stupid or whatever but downloading that game and joining the forum for it probably saved my life. I am forever grateful for his help with getting me off of cigs forever.

HippieHermit

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 9, 2013
Vaporland
After many failed attempts to quit smoking, my friend was showing off her new cig-a-like and offered it to me to try. I was skeptical if it really worked. I'd had respiratory infections, headaches and tiredness...but I still enjoyed it (or thought I did). My best 4-legged friend died as a result of my secondhand smoke and I knew it was time to quit. I tried all the quit-smoking products but I was allergic or had unfavorable reactions to them. After trying my friend's cig-a-like, I got my own.

I was pleased to notice that I forgot to take smoke breaks and was using less analogs than ever...until the number dwindled down to zero! I investigated vaping as an alternative and found nothing negative about it. I wanted to use vaping to replace smoking because I was so happy with the vapor. The junk in my lungs went away, I got my energy back.

I feel better physically, I save a lot of money, plus vapor tastes better than tobacco ever did. I'm quite obsessive about my vaping, its not just a hobby, its a lifestyle! I haven't been sick a day since I began vaping and I used to catch every bug that was going around, it always settled in my lungs. I have no complaints since switching to vaping and its been 7 months! I don't miss analogs at all! I've introduced friends to vaping as an alternative, some have switched totally, some are still in the transition. I'm grateful for vaping or I'd have smoked myself into my early grave.

dbeast64

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
South Carolina
I had been talking w/ my wife for the last 4 or 5 years on and off about quitting but just had the hardest time making the commitment.
I had tried patches,welbutrin and chantix,the wife was the one that had me quit chantix after a 2 1/2 hr "vocal dream". She laid beside me and listened to the whole dream and it freaked her out but,she didn't want to wake me during.

I had a friend at work that was always walking around w a cig-alike and we chatted briefly about it. I went the next day and bought one of the disposables,everything went well that day w/ me not having a tar stick the rest of the day. I went the next day and bought a rechargeable kit the next day,which happened to be my granddaughters 4th birthday. I used it for a week and that weekend,went to ecigcharleston and picked up a eGo 900mah w/ usb,2 Vision eGo tanks and 1 each 18mg menthol & regular. I couldn't wait until I got home to start w/ my new toys so,i plugged in to the usb in the truck and started my first true vaping.

Later that evening,she asked to try the regular juice,I switched out tanks and she was hooked :) We went the next day and she bought me a new rig of a 1100mah w/ usb and a couple more tanks to have spares and she took the one I had just bought the day before.

So,my timeline is:
Jan 18th - chatted w/ friend about his cigalike
Jan 19th - bought disposable and put down tar sticks for good
Jan 20th - bought first rig (confiscated by wife)
Jan 21st - 2nd rig bought

So,I have completely dropped tar sticks from my daily life after 29 years of just a little over a PAD and she has gone from 1 1/2 PAD to 3 or 4
Now currently checking around for something w/ a little more power for more happy clouds from my Vision VT tank

trishdadish

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2013
Victoria, British Columbia
Many story started like many of you, as a PAD smoker for 22 years. I had seen those disposables in the stores, but never bothered trying them as they are no nic in Canada. My hubbys a construction worker, and a lot of his coworker had been using them since they banned smoking on job sites. We searched for ever for a store in many town, but couldn't find one. There was a few based in my city but you couldn't go to them, you had to order vapemail.I wasnt going tk0o order something I knew nothing about, so I put it off. If a B&M store hadn't have been available, I might not have tried ecigs. If my favorite store hadn't of opened upma few momths later, I might of given up. I really have to thank them for showing me how good vaping could be. Now I rebuild my own stuff, and make my own juices, I don't need them as much. But
I am forever grateful thst they were there to introduce me to my fabourite hobby.

Abe_Katz

ECF Veteran
Feb 6, 2013
FL, USA
Well here is my story. Its probably not as exciting as others but it is what it is.

I was/am a pipe smoker of 20 years (maybe more maybe less I can't remember the first day I ever smoked but I was around 12 or 13 at the time). I have tried to quit at least half a dozen times. Cold turkey at least half the times I tried to quit smoking. That didn't work, you know the story. Not smoking a couple months, drama happens, light up, back to square one--rinse repeat. The patch, smoked while on the patch. The gum, same thing and thats assuming I could keep the nasty thing in my mouth. So I was stuck and gave up on quitting smoking. I didn't try Chantix but my dad did--he had to stop taking it, it made him crazy (well crazier than usual), so I wasn't about to take that. So I was stuck in two ways. First I couldn't quit if I wanted to, and second quitting sucked so I didn't want to quit.

Anyway, one day I needed to get zippo fluid for my zippo so I went to the local Walgreens. I had seen the ads for Blu and thought it was a gimmick to rip people off, I wasn't impressed with the mall kiosks (on the rare occasions I've been dragged to a mall) so I basically thought that e-cigs were a waste of money. However, a lady was there and she picked up two packages of the Njoy kings which I've not seen before so I talked to her. Doing something rather impulsive I decided to give it a try. Yes the Njoy king lasted me at most 4 hours. However, it did prove something to me, e-cigarettes could be a viable alternative to smoking.

It was then that it dawned on me. Perhaps it was possible to "quit" without "quitting". Or to put it more accurately as my signature says "I'm not quitting smoking, I'm taking up vaping." (Though at the time I didn't call it vaping, or even knew the word vaping existed.)

So then I had a problem. The Njoy king was too expensive, even for what it is (though I must say the packaging is pretty sweet and the juice while not the best flavor kicks like a mule), so I knew that if there really was something to e-cigarettes there had to be better alternatives to the Njoy King, or at least cheaper alternatives.

That lead me to google searching, reading articles, watching youtube videos and finding ECF. From there I took the advice of the great people here and am enjoying a 1100 mah ego style with a 24mg "tobacco flavor" juice (I tobacco flavor in quotes because I'm honestly not sure what it actually tastes like, it tastes different every vape--probably needs steeping) now.

FallenShadow

Feb 11, 2013
Oregon
Honestly, I got started smoking cigarettes at a very young age.. I'll be 24 soon and I've been smoking for 14 years. Recently, I did some marketing for e-cigs and during that time, I learned a lot about them (compared to what I knew before). I thought they were just some fad thing that was a poor attempt at replacing cigarettes or something. Then they blew up..

The more I marketed these, the more I became interested in them... now I'm actually thinking I could make the switch to vaping and get off analogs.

Peggy-o

ECF Veteran
Feb 11, 2013
france
Well. The first time I tried them, I wasn't intending on quitting cigarettes, that wasn't the idea behind it. I was at the local tobacco shop and saw these little disposable e-cigs they had, I though hey, menthol and vanilla? I asked about it and he said he had rechargeable ones too, those came with super weird tasting cartos, but I didn't even know anything, so I bought that. Just to try it , see how it tasted like. I spent 3 days straight without a cigarette and thought wait..... that could be a good way out of cigarettes!!!! Looked online to see if there was any info on this (and damn, there was, why do we never hear about e-cigs in france??) and bought an ego-C. That was a weird transition.....unintentional, a bit :p

hyp0luxa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 1, 2013
Miami, FL USA
I've been a PAD smoker for over 20 years, and between the increasing cost of cigarettes, and the health issues, I decided it was time for a change. I wasn't really sure if vaping would work for me, but I had to give it a shot. Smoking analogs was costing me ~$240.00 monthly, plus the lethargy, trouble breathing, etc.. I stopped enjoying the taste of a cigarette long ago also, but I do enjoy the satisfaction of a smoke, and taking 5 minutes to myself especially at work. My goal was to cut down to 1/2 PAD supplemented by vaping.

I finally made my first order, and received my starter kit Feb 1, 2013 in the evening. I started to vape and thought maybe it could work... I had one analog that evening just for comparison, and there was no noticeable difference to me. The next day I had 2 analogs, one in the morning and one in the evening, again experiencing no additional satisfaction from the 'real thing'.

Now, I vape much more often than I used to smoke, and at 24mg/ml (thinking of going up to 36) but that is ok. There are so many ancillary benefits to vaping that I didn't realize when I decided to switch: My senses of smell and taste are much more vibrant, cologne lasts longer, I no longer have to 'go outside', my breath is fresher... I am definitely sold on vaping and would recommend it to anyone wanting to cut down or eliminate cigarettes completely.

Joe51

Jan 22, 2013
arkansas
I first heard of e-cigs from a friend at work using one. During break he'd puff on his Njoy cig-a-like, but he'd bum smokes 2 or 3 times per week. I thought I could be stronger than this guy, and bought the same thing on his recommendation.

I cut down quite a bit, but it was not enough to break the chains. I convinced myself that I couldn't afford two habits, and kept the more expensive of the two. Monumentally dumb decision looking back now as it cost me an extra 5 years of smoking.

Back in December, I run across the old Njoy in a junk drawer and thought I should look into the e-cig thing again. After all, it had been 5 years and surely there would be some data now on the dangers and benefits. I was honestly shocked at how little there still is out there, but some work has been done. Regardless, the consensus is that it cannot be worse and it's definitely cheaper, so I decided to go for round 2.

My decision was based primarily on the side effects of smoking and the effects it could be having on my children. Like other stories you've read here, I struggled being active as it hurt my chest and left me gasping for air. I've had way too many sinus infections and colds. I've been noticeably declining in health over the last few years because it was becoming harder to breath while being involved in physical activities. The biggest driver was every cold, ear infection, sinus infection, or just cough my kids had, I knew I could be partly responsible for that. With the studies that have been performed in the past few years re-assuring me that it couldn't be as bad as smoking, I'm all in for a better life.

The first thing I wanted to do was find a local supplier. Ya right... not down here. The guy at the tobacco shop sold me blu because you can get them anywhere along with refills. Great, but they worked about as well as the last one I used, and I was not going to charge twice per day when they didn't kill the craving anyway. Not to mention that by the time you buy a new pack of carts, your not really saving all that much. It would be similar to switching to an offbrand cig which would be much easier.

Instead of quitting, I did some homework this time. I decided on the Ego C kit because it didn't look too strange and it gets great reviews from newbies.

I was not disappointed. It performed well and was a fraction of the cost to maintain. No more cartos for me. :) I still wanted something stronger, though. It seemed like I could never put my ego down or I'd be looking for an analog. So I got a twist clone with a vivi so I could change atty heads and voltage to see what all the talk was about.

Now I'm confident that I can switch to vaping, and for the last couple of months have only had 2 analogs per day. I feel sooo much better. Particularly at work or playing with the kids. My chest doesn't hurt anymore, and I'm only winded when normal people would be, such as running or climbing really steep hills.

I'm still on the hunt for my PV, but I have the proof of concept now that I lacked back in 08. I just ordered the ego v v2. If I understand right, this one has a passthrough, puff counter, atty reader (ohm), and goes up to 6 volts. If it can handle a day in the pants pocket without coming out in pieces, I will have found my PV. The next step will be to find a tank that can survive in the pocket.

I haven't saved a dime so far. Testing PV's, Tanks, Juices, etc., but once I know what it is right for me, the savings will come. The cool thing is after all these purchases, I haven't spent a dime extra. Just substituted cig money. :). If I had known back in 08 that I could spend the exact same money to experiment, it wouldn't have taken me so long to be all in.

Great thread!!

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
At the age of 33, I, too, felt like complete blank. Like an earlier poster said, I got winded walking up and down stairs. I helped some friends move, and I couldn't believe how out of shape I'd become. I don't mean obese, I'm 125 pounds. I'm a very small dude. Mostly my lungs and my heart. Couple that with half-off ribeye steaks from my job, and sure enough, I was a walking heart attack waiting to happen. I knew I wanted to quit, my girlfriend wasn't a smoker, and I respect and love her, so I thought vaping might be a good idea. Also, another major factor, I love gadgets. I love 'em. So vaping was the perfect marriage of an alternative that works, as well as the technology (crappy though it can be at times, it is INNOVATIVE STUFF) and the mentality.

The gum, the patch, and Chantix don't work because they don't feed the major habits of smokers: i.e., the hand-to-mouth oral fixation, the satisfying throat hit, as well as the rush of nicotine... and actually seeing plumes of smoke. I'm not the only artsty fartsy person who took a photo of cig smoke and thought it was ART! When a co-worker who was significantly older than me and was a two pack a day smoker showed up with a vape in his hand (an Ego-T 3.7 volt fixed battery, this was six months ago...) and I hit that thing... oooh, boy, I knew I was ready.

It fulfilled every single need I wanted as a smoker. Well, except I jumped into the eGo category and skipped cigalikes completely. That changed, however, after I discovered the Volt. Love that little chicken hawk.

P.S. This thread is a good one.

Last edited:

graybuck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2012
Oregon
I was at hunting camp last year with my buddys. We were all smoking and playing poker in the tent due to the weather. My eyes were watering and my head stuffed up to where I could barely breath. I told the guys this is crazy what are we doing to ourselves. I can't take this anymore. We realy need to quit. After 25 years it was just enough, my mind just said no more. Next day we went into town to get a few things and I bought my first ecig disposable njoy thing. I liked it but it was just not enough so on my way home from the hunt I found a ecig shop called Colorado e-smoke. Bought my first eGo C there and loved it. They have great juice as well. I have not had an analog since. Of course my obsesion has grown now to include Proveris, and Vamos, and twists, and of course the very portable eroll which if you have not tried one is a great little ecig.

Since I have gotten one of my brothers who was also hunting off analogs and into vaping, my son has quit, and his son and daughter also quit. All convets to vaping. My wife loves that I have quit. How she dealt with me and the stink is beyond my comprehension. The smell is horible to me now. She never smoked and had to live with and kiss an ash tray for 30 years. Wow fantasitic lady.

ECF has been a god send to me. Can't thank the founder enough for creating this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread