What made you start vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
Chronic 24/7 heartburn from a long term digestive disorder.

I say the heartburn is from the disorder but that's crap, it was caused by smoking, it's just.....i couldn't smoke with this disorder, and nothing would make it stop. Stupid as mud i refused to quit smoking for about 2-3 years..... and so continued to suffer.

One day i spotted a cig-a-like being advertised in my local newsagents, i went in and spoke with the guy to find out if the products he had were re-chargeable. Turned out they weren't, so i went into town and found a re-chargeable cig-a-like in a dedicated tobacconists. Bought a few more over the coming weeks, then started buying them online, along with 30ml bottles of juice, which weren't available in any b+m at the time. I've still got all the cig-a-likes in a box. Anyway, back then i was able to buy 45mg juice and it worked well in a cig-a-like. (I always found that my cig-a-like worked better when it was kept horizontal).

Moved on to ego types, as you do, then tubes and finally on to box mods.

The heartburn stopped when i stopped smoking. I'm not saying vaping cured me, stopping smoking is what did it.

What "keeps me vaping ?".

"Juice" tailored specifically to my needs.

I'm vaping 24mg's, my nicotine base is 50/50, my cutting juice is Vegetable Glycerine and my flavours are limited to 3ml for every 40ml of juice. If i were to use more flavouring the "bite" (throat hit) becomes faded and is very frustrating. So the overall balance of my D.I.Y juice is perfect. When i consider how much Propylene Glycol i use, 6 and 3/4 ml's in nicotine base and 3ml from flavouring , it equals the best part of 10ml, about 25%. (i always use 50ml bottles, so i make 40ml at a time to leave enough space to shake it up.

It's funny, i can stay seated, right where i am now, reach over for the measuring cylinders, mini funnel, liquids, and make it all up in about 5 minutes (I keep it all within arms reach):thumb:.

So why bother vaping ?.

I loved to smoke !.

mountaingal

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 22, 2012
Tennessee and ports on the East Coast
[QUOTE="Alien Traveler, (I do cough when I vape, never coughed when I smoked)..[/QUOTE]

I don't know what you are vaping, but, try using a different mixture. We are all different, I used 80vg/20pg for years and then had bronchitis and was coughing a lot. So, I did some reasearch and switched it to 20vg/80pg with no flavoring, only 2% sweetener. The cough went away and to tell the truth, I noticed no difference in vape quality. But, then I am a tootle puffer and never go over 18.5watts with no Ω's ohms higher then 1.5. Good luck!

tym64

Jul 30, 2017
A friend of mine told me about it, how well it worked, so I started the process, let me tell you, it was TOUGH. There was so much I didn't understand, so much wrong information given to me, it was only through google, and allot of questions that I finally got started down the right path. Been some stumbles, but its getting there.

The one thing I think helped allot, was "if it works for me, thats the path I need to follow." Yea, I really get some "looks" when they find out the nic content I am starting on (18 mg). I have even thought, there is no rule that says I have to drop the nic content. Who knows, in time, I may just walk away from vaping, and smoking and never drop the nic content of my juice. See how it goes. Not sure where my path will lead me, its one day at a time. One thing is for sure, im done listing to what everyone tells me I should do, done with the "omg this or that mod is horrible, it will run up your electric bill, wont let your toilet flush, and your pet will dis own you and run away."

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
Short version:
We started to analyse E-Zigs at work. Nobody found anything dangerous. I snatched a Bluu cigalike, used it during the weekend and only smoked like 5 cigarettes in two days. Spent the whole Sunday to inform myself more about vaping.
On Monday after work I went to a bnm; bought a Protank 2, a Mini-Protank, two spinners and 5x10ml liquid.
Drove home and also bought a pack of cigarettes, because you never know.
While putting together the vape, I smoked (my last) two cigarettes. After the first draw of the vape, I knew I was done with smoking.
I still have that pack with 18 cigarettes left in it.

ExeterVape123

Feb 20, 2018
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unapproved Survey

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
I started vaping when my brother introduced it to me. I was smoking at the time, and I figured I would give it a try.

What made me realize that vaping was not just something I tried, like the hookah, was all of the options for mods and accessories, and all of the flavors to experience.

What made you start and keep vaping? I'm just trying to get an idea of what drew everyone to it in the first place.

I had wanted to quit smoking for awhile. I hated the stench on my clothes and in my hair. Plus I started developing a cough even though I didn’t smoke a lot.

I got a new roommate almost 2 years ago who vapes and would very gently nudge me along any time I asked questions about vaping. She taught me the basics and let me try out her setup. Finally before the holidays I decided that was it. She helped me with picking out an e pen & tobacco juice. I’ve never looked back.

Couldn’t be happier. I no longer stink or have to go out in the rain snow or freezing cold to smoke. I smell good. My clothes smell good. And most importantly I stopped coughing.

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
That's quite a story, Dom. Thanks for sharing that. I have always had great respect for your postings on ECF, and respect you even more knowing what you have been through. Peace be with you. :nun:

I won't go too deep into my own story, but its not that far off from your own. Long story short, I had a successful career as a surgical physician's assistant for over 35 years. I developed a medical disorder which prevented me from continuing my career as a first assistant in surgery. As I was performing a very specialized skillset for all that time, I was not qualified to do anything else to support myself. At age 62 I was too old to learn a new trade. You can't make a reasonable living working minimum wage jobs.

I worked for a year part time at minimum wage for a vape shop. This was like getting a little bit of pay for enjoying a hobby you love and sharing it with others. During this time I applied for medical disability and was turned down. I had been living off savings, and when that dried up, I was evicted from my home, defaulted on a car loan, lost the majority of my material possessions because I couldn't afford a rental truck, and moved what I could fit into my brother's pickup truck to his home. If he hadn't taken me in, I would have been homeless.

Soon after making the move to my brother's home, I qualified for food assistance and Medicaid. I secured the services of a disability attorney. With his help, and after nearly 3 more years of waiting without income, I won my disability case this past December.

At this point, I would like to again thank all my friends on ECF who Payed-It-Forward e-liquid, mods and tanks during my period of unfortunate circumstances. :wub: Your thoughtfulness and generosity helped me greatly.

Your story is somewhat similar to mine. I was in healthcare imaging which is very specialized. After an accident then developing chronic illness/pain I was no longer able to work in that career. That’s actually when I started smoking again after 25 years.

Fortunately for me I was approved disability on my first application so I didn’t have the enormous losses like you have had. I’m so sorry about that. It’s amazing how quickly things can change.

Congratulations on winning your disability claim. I hope things will be better for you! Peace

sara

SCOTT-3

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2012
london u.k
Not so-much about myself, But the power of vaping can certainly change a life long habit of smoking instantly,
Three years ago a pal of mine called round to my home at the time i was harvesting my tobacco leaf, In the out house had my vape gear well he just had to try, Now this chap 35years of 2oz of old holborn a day smoker,(fill like coughing typing that) Well on 2 hours later handed my mod back he got in he's van old habit of rolling a ...
had one puff then lob-it, That evening a phone call where can i get this vape gear i need it NOW! Pleased to say that day was his last cigarette.

LyLyV

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2018
Earth (most days)
I have a long ... story i've been thinking about posting for a while but never got around to it. It's pretty long and intertwined with why I started smoking cigarettes heavily in the first place.

Not sure if anyone will care, but here we go. It's therapeutic.

In my early 20s I was living the life. Everything was perfect and I was riding that high. I paid off my student loans at 21, bought at a house at 22, and a brand new car at 23. During one of those years I spent 30k on electronics/video games/toys. I literally had more cash than I knew what to do with and I was really enjoying life.f...

Thanks for sharing, Man. I've been through not the same, but similar difficulties (divorce, single parenthood, very similar home issues like your mold thing. Almost thought I was going to lose my house on 3 different occasions...). While I had quit cigs 20+ yrs previously, I met someone who vaped. I wanted some. Been vaping ever since. It is totally therapeutic for me. Other than the damage it does to my wallet (nowhere near that smoking cigarettes does to people), I enjoy it. It's that simple. There are far worse things I could be doing. Congrats to everyone who switched from the stinkies to vaping!! :thumb:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread