What thw Doctor told my Father In Law about Ecigs!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PoliticallyIncorrect

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 31, 2010
SoCal
You have to remember us smokers are bullheaded - facts do not matter much.

I'm in complete agreement about our maverick natures, but not to the extent that all of us ignore inconvenient facts.

Some of us work with them, factor them into the equation; what continuing to smoke will ultimately cost us can't be known with precision, but statistical probabilities can, and a rational quality-of-life vs. life-itself transaction can be made.

A non-smoker has zero understanding of the value we find in smoking, a habit they likely see as simply a destructive, expensive form of nail-biting--and a deliberate decision to do it an act of calculated, controlled suicide. Yet it's the same cradle-to-grave mathematics they've chosen for themselves every time they've shaved seconds off the back end of their own lives by eating a Twinkie.

I suppose the good doctor has to be cut some slack, in that his oath to "...do no harm" isn't intended so broadly as to recognize that a monastic, uncompromising lifestyle is a life worth living for only a very few.

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
Sorry about that, Elendil.

PoliticallyIncorrect - I think you've hit on something. We all take caclulated risks every single day. But in our culture there is a push towards basically living in a bubble to try to stave off the inevitable - you ARE going to die.

And of course, there's a debate to be had about whether the denial of a pleasurable life hastens or slows the inevitable. I think so, anyway. People die of heartbreak. Who is to say one can't die of lack of fulfillment?

Smoking isn't "fulfilling" per se, but it's a calculated risk I took knowing it made me more able to enjoy other things in life. Prior to vaping, I made peace with the idea that I may never successfully quit, having done that calculation.

I'd rather die at 65 with a 2-page long obit, than die at 90 with nothing more than "she had 2.2 children and sometimes played tennis" next to my name. I don't see the point in living like that, personally.

I'm not really in the "fast and loose" period of my life either, anymore. But sometimes I gotta give up a little time on the back end to be a more fulfilled person. vaping just let me keep doing that at a less risky calculated cost.

In essence, taking the "do not harm" oath to that degree, reduces the human life experience to the hunk of flesh they inhabit. How long can we keep the hunk of flesh warm?

In my mind, that's not the question. The question is, how long can we keep the mind inside the hunk of flesh happy to be alive.

Last edited:

Vastros

Nov 7, 2010
minnesota
If they supposedly must do no harm then explain why surgeons refuse to operate on patients with a low chance of success? Or why promising medications arent used when applicable because they cost less. Doctors pad their numbers in ways such as that all the time and its kind of sickening. It makes the ecig arguement all the better. Self medication for a nicotine addiction, when you can trust yourself and not your doctors. Makes sense to me!

Uncle Screwtape

ECF Veteran
Oct 17, 2010
NE-IL
I first heard of e-cigs from a doctor. He is an orthopedic surgeon that feels he will have to replace one or both of my knees in the next few years. He wants me to be as far away from smoking as possible before he performs that surgery. I am eternally grateful to him for suggesting vaping, and I am very happy that I took his advice.

The doctor in the OP is a tool.

Heartbskts

ECF Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Ohio
I first heard of e-cigs from a doctor. He is an orthopedic surgeon that feels he will have to replace one or both of my knees in the next few years. He wants me to be as far away from smoking as possible before he performs that surgery. I am eternally grateful to him for suggesting vaping, and I am very happy that I took his advice.
Please take this dr's advice Uncle!! I had a broken leg with an external fixator (Saw Movie looking thing) for 4 months because I would not believe my ortho dr when he kept telling me to quit smoking!! All dr's have to tell you this, right? I went into the hospital during that time also with pnuemonia and a VERY good dr who was treating me told me exactly what cigarette smoking does to the healing proccess. Needless to say, I did quit smoking (BluCigs and the patch) for about 3 weeks and boom! Healed!!
It was a very long 4 months with some heavy metal all around my leg and I could have avoided about 2 of those months

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
I wonder when is the FDA going to understand that E cigs are safer

They already have. It's not a question of them realizing it - it's a question of them losing money, as people stop using the patch and gum which don't work, and stop smoking which cuts off the tax money they collect.

Zenfrogs - Totally agree. Doctors are human, and some are better than others. Xenophobia of new technology is not a good attribute in a medical professional.

Automaton

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
US
but won't E cig be a better source of money than gums, or patches?

At present, no. Due to the fact that there are no FDA regulations on e-cigs, and vendors opporate independently, and are probably reluctant to be bought out.

If the FDA begins regulating e-cigs, then yes. And essentially what they want, which they have shown through their actions, is this.

1. A temporary ban on e-cigs for "testing."

2. A re-opening of the e-cig market, but only under their supervision, so they can tax it until it costs as much as smoking.

They won't be able to get #1. There is no valid reason to stop sales of e-cigs, and they're beginning to realize it as they start losing court cases.

So now they're basically trying to intimidate vendors into complying with what they want - money. They are also paying off the right people to discourage e-cig use, and getting politicians to back them as much as possible. If they can't have your money, no one can. It never has, nor ever will, have anything to do with your health.

Will they succeed? Unlikely, in my opinion, but no one knows. I personally think there are now too many people vaping, and too big of a market, for them to succeed.

Will they succeed? Unlikely, in my opinion, but no one knows. I personally think there are now too many people vaping, and too big of a market, for them to succeed.

What will eventually happen (sadly) is that one or a few companies will get big enough that it will benefit them to go along with the government regulation. This will then benefit them since they are big enough to handle the additional costs but most of the competition will not be. This is corporate cronyism and it goes on all the time. Many people get confused by those that favor big business and those that favor free markets. There is a big difference! Big business does not want free markets; they want all the advantages they can get.

Anyway what will end up happening is we will have fewer options, less innovation and higher costs. This is almost the golden age for this industry and I would hope that it could remain this way for at least a few more years. I don't have much faith that will be the case though.

Neetz2265

Jun 14, 2010
Idaho
When I originally told my doctor I quit smoking and was using the e-cig he seemed pleased. He told me that nicotine itself didn't have many negative effects on your health other than possibly increasing blood pressure a bit. When I saw him again a couple of months later, he was negative about it and suggested Chantix. I turned him down on his offer. I'm not sure why his attitude changed so much....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread