The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

What to buy for newbies?

Discussion in 'Pay It Forward - PIF' started by atsirk, Mar 8, 2011.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. atsirk

atsirk Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 20, 2010
    Lake Oswego, Oregon
    :confused: Had a big 2nd-family (the family I chose lol) get together last night, and I have 3 hard-core smokers ready to try vaping. They’ll be getting Riva 510 kits so the batt choice is made, but…
    In my 5 months, I’ve ended up a dedicated dripper, 510 attys on my eGo/Rivas (had no luck with cartos, personally). Not sure though, that dripping would be a good idea to start someone up with – it can be complicated, with lots of room for error. I think cartomizers are the way to go, but which? Clearos? Ce2s? Soft tips? What would you recommend? It needs to be the least complicated, highest success rate, but also lowest cost. TIA for your help!

P.S. and where do you recommend the best prices for these?

2. TJVapes

TJVapes Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Oct 12, 2010
    USA
    I would stick with the easy to use, easy to fill, tried and true regular ol soft tips. Some people say they like the clearos but I just can't imagine. I think they're horrible. My MIL is doing really good with V4L 808s with prefilled cartos, but I simply had to have the easiest thing there was for her. I supply the goods and my sister-in-law is refilling the cartos for her. I think the biggest factor to keep them happy is to keep it simple and you can find really good prices on the soft tip 510s. I would go ahead and pick them up a few drip tips just in case. I have other family members that are using clearos and map tanks but they're younger and willing to play and get all techy with their stuff. Just my opinion.

3. jj2

jj2 Moved On ECF Veteran

May 30, 2009
    Hundred Acre Wood
    I'd go with the clearos. Being new they will SEE when it's time to add more liquid. I also found that they are easy to clean and do a dry burn on.

4. justboringsarah

justboringsarah Super Member ECF Veteran

Aug 24, 2010
    IN
    I would just do a standard Riva kit,and maybe a drip tip for each,since most try dripping fairly quickly anyway

5. trouble2k

trouble2k Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 14, 2010
    Billings, MT
    I would say just basic soft tip cartos since they are easy to use and still have the size/shape of a cigarette filter to them. Maybe a combination of LR and standard to see which ones they like best?? You can even throw in an extra drip tip to use with the carto so they don't have to remove the plug each time they want to to check or refill it.

6. markfm

markfm Aussie Pup Wrangler Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Boge 2 ohm soft tips.

7. BiancaMontgomery

BiancaMontgomery SQUIRREL! Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 27, 2010
    North Carolina
    +1 on this suggestion. You might also search pre-filled LR 510 cartos, I'm pretty sure someone out there has them. This would get them going quickly/no hassle then you can ease them into filling their own. JMO

8. librarising

librarising Resting In Peace ECF Veteran

Aug 14, 2010
    New York
    Soft tip cartomizers are as close to plug and play as there is. I would start them with regular Boge cartos. If they quickly tire of the tobacco flavors they will probably go after dessert juices, and I find they tend to burn with lr cartos. At least this is IMHO.

It's great that you are converting!!!

9. keyzygirl

keyzygirl ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Aug 10, 2009
    Key West,Fl.
    I think prefilled would be awesome,do they make them for 510s?That would be super easy to start.I always get people prefilled 808s to start with.Im sure the 510s would be just as good.

10. markfm

Supporting member
    Halo may have pre-filled 510s, though I'm not positive.

11. Prism

Prism PIF MODERATOR Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jun 4, 2010
    Wisconsin
    LiquidXpress has prefilled 510 cartos. Their caramel capp and Taboo are pretty good. can topped off with bottles they sell or like flavors. I used them on vacation

12. keyzygirl

keyzygirl ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Aug 10, 2009
    Key West,Fl.
    That sounds great,510 prefilled and matching juices.

13. Enid

Enid Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 13, 2010
    Greenville, SC
    I'm currently dealing with the same thing.
    Here's what I'm doing for all my converts. Riva 510 kit, 5 pk boge standard cartos, 2 lr cartos, 1 drip tip and I order juices to match their personalities. I charge the sale prices that I can find and pay for shipping since I'm ordering from 3 or 4 places. I stockpile my crap, while doing noob orders. No more free kits, no more depleting my supplies. Hookers, gotta hand over some cash.
    This last order, that I'm still waiting on, came out to under 70 bucks, which is what I paid for my ego kit. So, the converts have it a lot easier than we did. We walked uphill in snow and stuff.

Here's one thing, that I'm just going to throw out there: It's their choice if they quit the stinkies. You could have done the best job evar getting the right stuff for the right person but if some of those people are stubborn, unless you're gonna hand hold and fill carts 24/7, just know that you've done your part and walk away. My current convert is not going to use this thing, her girlfriend is making her try it. I'm ordering this for the girlfriend (who makes enough money to throw away this ecig money) more than my friend.

14. trouble2k

trouble2k Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Aug 14, 2010
    Billings, MT
    Elite Vapor Works carries the eGo kits for $40 w/ free shipping. Not a great selection on colors, but pretty decent price.

15. librarising

librarising Resting In Peace ECF Veteran

Aug 14, 2010
    New York
    I prefer the slightly longer battery life of the Rivas, which sell for about $33 shipped at Liberty-Flights. Lately though, my eGo passthroughs are my bestest of friends. :)

16. atsirk

atsirk Super Member ECF Veteran

Oct 20, 2010
    Lake Oswego, Oregon
    Thanks for all the feedback! It's looking like the ol' fashioned soft-tips are the way to go so far.

17. BiancaMontgomery

BiancaMontgomery SQUIRREL! Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Jan 27, 2010
    North Carolina
  18. markfm

Supporting member
    Whippy gets a gold star :) Reasonable selection/price for new people to use. 2 ohms gets to decent vapor.

19. gramakittycat

gramakittycat Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I started my kids off with the cartos also.I love the clears but for a newb there is a learning curve to them.i let them try different flavors since I always am changing mine several times a day so they get to try them plus I'm more into DIY as time goes on so I can tweek juices for them also.My son likes the cartos with a drip tip since he now can tell when they are getting dry so he just drips a few drops and is good to go.

20. BorisTheSpider

BorisTheSpider Super Member ECF Veteran

Dec 22, 2010
    Carroll County, Ohio
    +1 to drip tip on cartos. So much easier to see when you need refilled, and refilling as well. Plus, I know a lot of people prefer the drip tip in their mouth over metal or...whatever cartos are covered with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.