Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Well, lets pick just few for smok ProColor 225W (mod)
ozonesmoke - $46.95
fasttech - $48.71
vapenw - $54.90
directvapor - $59.95

You misunderstood my post. Those are online vendors. I buy from American online vendors all the time. It's the B&Ms that have huge markups (at least here, in SoCal). And as I said earlier, one can often get a better deal from American online vendors than from FT or 3FVape (not to mention that FT and 3FV aren't what they used to be when I started vaping--their prices have been climbing steadily and consistently).

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't think you need to worry about an external battery for your first setup, but if you do want a removable battery, there are some nice ones on the market that aren't too expensive. You will have to buy an external charger and at least two batteries to swap out.

If you CAN get into a vape shop to at least look at or even test some equipment, that would be ideal. You'd probably be able to see MTL and DL in action as well, and see how much vapor differences will be involved.

I usually recommend and aspire zelos kit (50 watt) with a Nautilus 2 tank for a starter kit. Adjustable wattage, not super expensive, should last you all day with the rate you smoked, and it's reliable and easy to start with figuring out. It does come with a variety of coil styles the 1.8 coil is much more MTL while the 0.7 coil can be run MTL with the right wattage and airflow settings, or as a restricted DL hit. It's an easy going setup, not a leaker, it's nice the tank has the protective sleeve, it's pocket friendly and easy to charge.

The only 1 battery mod I have is the Capitain from IJOY (it arrived yesterday, I won it) and that's not a MTL setup, though I am excited to try it (as MTL) since you can really run almost any mod (1 or two battery) with a MTL tank, at lower wattages. The nice thing about starting there is if you want to move up the vaping ladder to DL setups and sub0hm coils, you can just buy a sub0hm tank. I have a few crossover tanks, but I'm pretty strictly a MTL person and have been since I started vaping.

Best of luck, keep in mind that for most folks, their first setup is not the End Game. Most vapers will buy another setup if they are successful as a backup, whether it's trying something else, trying DL, whatever. Some of us wind up buying MANY setups, LOL. Do NOT start with an RTA if you can avoid it, though you may enjoy one as you gain vaping skills, experience, and knowledge.

Either way, welcome to ECF, and I hope you enjoy your time here you've gotten lots of information and I hope it's helpful to you.

Anna

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal
Looks like you are getting a lot of great advice and recommendations here. This whole community is pretty helpful and we are all glad you are doing your research and asking questions. A lot of time, new users will get overwhelmed, especially when they are not armed with the right information. It may take some time for you to get the right set up and it may not be what you expect when you get your first setup. But the important thing is to try to stay off of cigs and to not go back. The way I look at it, and especially with the prices of cigs, that it will in more than one way be a better thing to stick with vaping (or any other way to quit) than to go back to smoking.

You can always get the support you need here because there are countless people who have the same experience here that you are now facing, and they can and very likely will support you when you need it.

Now it is very important that you get what you need and people here will do their best to help you get the equipment you need. But in the end, it is what you like, feel comfortable with, your budget, and ultimately what works for you. To me, the most important piece will be to get the mod you need. That is the part that fires the vape. There are countless options out there, but it is very important to get a good and reliable one. That includes size, weight, build quality, and how it fits your needs, and I feel that is the most important piece.

The next thing, to me is the tricky part. The atomizer. They come in several different types depending on what you need and what you want. Tanks are, in my opinion, the easiest ones to use. Just install a coil and fill, and vape. But that in itself is tricky. For a new user, this would be the best avenue to start. There are a multitude of tanks to choose from. For a new user to quit, it is usually recommended to get a Mouth to Lung or MTL tank. There have been a lot of good suggestions in what to get. Finding the one that work for you would include how it vapes, how much it costs, how easy it is for you to use and maintain, and how readily coils are available.

My wife likes the restrictive draw but not as restrictive as MTL. At first it was hard for her to find the right tank and she was usually frustrated. Finally we were able to find the right setup for her. What ended up happening was when we went to a Brick and Mortar store in SoCal, the store was well stocked with other vapers, customers and employees. Being a very pretty girl, (subjective and biased on my part, but seriously she is a very pretty girl), everyone was very nice and allowed her to test their tanks. She settled on the Tobecco SuperTank. But there are plenty of options out there. Just need to find the best one for you.

Good luck and happy hunting.

MrStik

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2013
SoCal
Another nice thing about vaping is that it eventually costs much less than smoking. I still buy pre-made juice but from the 2nd month my cost was less than cigarettes (and I rolled my own). With that in mind, trying more than 1 kit isn't a tragedy :).

I have gone through several mods before I settled (for now) on my BattleStar. I have also gone through many tanks before I settled (for now) on the Serpent SMM. I would highly recommend the BattleStar for anyone, but the tank is much more subjective. And don't even get me started on juice... lol

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Thanks suprtrkr, I guess I'll have to experience direct lung to determine what works for me, did you start on direct lung? so you never smoked?

Ready for whole new experience tho, I hope I'll be pleasantly surprised :blush:
No, I am a reformed smoker. I started out MTL. I didn't have much of a choice, really. Back then, mods were carved from stone by hand with flint tools and MTL was all there was. You could get eGo-type batteries-- I started there like everyone else-- and the Kanger Protank (version 1, of course) was the hot ticket. I well remember when Kanger came out with the Aerotank, sort of a preview of the Protank2, and it had twice the air of the V1. Joy, I tell you. I could take about 1/3 of a lung hit before I ran out of oxygen and had to breathe, and I no longer had burst blood vessels in my eyeballs from hitting the mod so hard. There were a tiny few regulated mods available, but all of them topped out at 15 watts or less and cost hundreds of dollars. I spent my whole first year vaping tying to find a tank or even dripper that breathed well enough for a full DL hit. Even then, I had to switch to mechanical mods almost immediately as it was then the only way above 15 watts, and my sweet spot is 25-35. I finally managed something resembling satisfaction with the old Fogger V2 coiled about .5Ω and a Tobeco Hammer clone with an 18650 extension tube.

But those days are behind us now. There's a bewildering variety of equipment available, some of which is junk, some OK and some superior. You will have to find out for yourself where your "perfect vape" lies, and this will require trial and error. To this end, you may wish to consider a setup that will do both MTL and DL, so you can try it. Or maybe not, there's a caveat: if you're worried about getting off the sticks, MTL with a Nautilus may be the way to go. It has a long record of success. Another thing is, the equipment designed to do both usually doesn't do either particularly well. But a decent-- read not expensive-- one will help you find out where you want to be in the vape world. From there, I suggest you stay in the "adequate but not spectacular" gear range to keep you going, while you look around and bargain hunt for some superior gear sold used for a fraction of retail. That's how I have built my collection. Takes a while, but I'm not dead yet. I am still a big fan of mechanical mods, and one of the best things about the really good regulated mods now available is people are dumping some really fine mechs for peanuts. There are 7 one battery tube mechs on my desk as I type. All authentic and, had I bought them new, costing 3-4000 USD. But I don't have 500 in them. Just a thought...

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
Hi guys,
Im a newbie just starting to learn about vape.. been smoking for years now and just had friends tell me to try vamping.. they don't smoke or vape so Im pretty lost in this lol
I heard vaping is way better for health so Im kinda excited about it but Im still looking for my kit to start, something easy and safe, saw stuff about dry hit and building dripping etc and those seem a lot..
Any advice would be gr8, excited to join the forum:thumbs:
Welcome and glad you joined.
You will start to learn from the information below.
Might like to read:
http://www.vaporauthority.com/pages/learn
Vaping and Inhaling: Everything You Need To Know
http://www.ecigarettedirect.co.uk/a...tte-college-guides-tutorials-information.html
Beginner – Guide To Vaping
http://vapingcheap.com/vaping-101/
(10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
(1) Proper Terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments. | E-Cigarette Forum

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Welcome Mlue00!
I 2nd Anna (Stols) recommendation. I only started with one combination (of course), and it was the Aspire Zelos. After researching, Aspire was probably the most popular mtl tank (non-RTA) at the time. I got the Zelos kit because I'd already bought and liked the Nautilus 2 (was using it on an old mod from my son). The tank alone cost $35 at a B&M, and I got the whole kit for about $40 when I wanted a second tank. It was a no-brainer.

The thing I like about that kit, is I went almost straight to building on a Kayfun, because I really like a fresh coil, and didn't like buying the coils. And I still use the mod. It's powerful enough for a couple days of vaping (for me). 50W is more than enough for me, and for most people not chasing clouds. No external batteries to deal with. It can handle sub-ohm coils. Adjustable output in .1 watt increments. It does temp control, if you end up going that route. And it's a great size so I can stick it in my pocket without it dragging my pants to the floor. So even if you "outgrow" your tank, the mod will still be useful.

But there are other great recommendations above...this is just my experience.

Last edited:

-KT-

Oct 12, 2017
Welcome!

I am new too. I got a Vapresso Target Mini as my first vape, then switched to a SMOK G150 recently.

The Target Mini was and is a good first vape, at least for me. It comes with a .4 ohm coil and a 1.6 ohm coil. It also has two drip tips, one optimized for DTL and the other for MTL.

I ended up liking DTL more, so I decided to go with a more powerful mod. But I still use the mini around the house so I don't cloud up my bedroom too much!

That being said, the mini will still make nice clouds and give super solid hits.

It has a built-in battery as well. And it was easy to learn. It also works for TC.

a67c67204e9356fc218b00214be45077.jpg

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk

Richard-D

Jan 23, 2017
London, UK
"Looking for some budget starter kit to get me comfortable with vaping, and I don't know how long it will take to fully quit smoking"

Probably a lot less time than you think, if you find juice that you like. It took me about 2 months to fully quit, after about 33 years smoking every day, and I wasn't even fully intending to quit. Smoker's cough is now a distant memory, even after just a year, and vaping is just so much more pleasant and tasty than tobacco.

Tanks
I began vaping with Smok direct-to-lung (DTL) style tanks simply because that's what my buddy was using. I tried his and liked them. I did cough for a day or two while adapting to vaping, which seems relatively common, but I was also cutting down on rolling tobacco consumption at the same time.

A few days ago I tried the Nautilus 2 tank (much more MTL style) and was quite impressed with it, although it seems like filling it can be a bit messy. I really liked the draw and thought the level of restrictiveness was spot on.

Many people on the forum also seem to recommend the Kanger Subtank Mini & Toptank Mini (top filling).

Batteries
My first Smok 80 W internal battery regulated mod is still going strong after a year and very regular use; it hasn't turned into a paperweight yet. However, the battery life between charges continues to frustrate when using it at 32 watts with DTL tanks. I do use it a lot though and have a Vaporesso mod (also 80 W) to use when the Smok is charging.

If you bought a typical MTL tank which has coils that are used at a lower wattage, battery life should be more than acceptable for you on a 50 W or greater mod, bearing in mind that you are only smoking a few cigarettes each day.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Hi guys,

Im a newbie just starting to learn about vape.. been smoking for years now and just had friends tell me to try vamping..

Hope all the advice helps Mlue...and sorry, but I couldn't resist. I love a good typo or autocorrect, and yours made me chuckle days ago and stuck in my head.

zuuuus333

Moved On
Nov 8, 2017
  • Deleted by classwife
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread