What's better

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Thatcher

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2012
Brit in Orlando
I do think the only way to answer this question is for you to own one of each. Everything else is just subjective opinion. This thread has proven to be excellent in giving you specifics about both devices. If I had the ability, I would own one of each. And that will most likely be the case "soon-ish"...

Ohhhhhh ;)

Still think it is a spurious argument.

Both are great devices. Both have proven themselves to be robust. Both have proven themselves to be reliable. I prefer the ProVari but will own a Opus at some point at least if not Darwin.

babemomlover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Ann Arbor, MI
Oh boy.
Regardless of whether I was right or wrong, there are many other ways to inform the misinformed than to berate them and call them ignorant.

How much smoother would a kind comment have gone over? It could have gone something like this
"Hey, I see what you're seeing with the mAh hours, but from my experience it is much more complicated than that! I get more use out of my darwin than I do my provari..." etc.
Much better karma in my opinion.

I would have responded with "ohh, I understand now, thanks for that info, bud!"
But nooooooo, had to act like you got sand stuck in your.. uh...

I was wrong, I'll admit that, but you could have gone about it in a better way.
Just my two cents.

jkmtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Lebanon TN
Oh boy.
Regardless of whether I was right or wrong, there are many other ways to inform the misinformed than to berate them and call them ignorant.

I'm sorry, did I call someone ignorant? I hadn't realized I did.

This is an ignorant comment by someone who has never owned a Darwin,

Maybe that's because I didn't.

EDIT: This is not to inflame the thread, I have a major pet peeve when it comes to being quoted correctly, even when it's close, I'm real .... when it comes to my words, and how people represent them back, tbh, I view it as a major sign of disrespect to accuse someone of saying something they didn't say, or misquoting them, we all want others to hear what we are saying, and there are reasons for this, and when our words are misrepresented it indicates that others are not actually listening or, in this case, reading.

Point being, I just wanted to set the record straight, in that I did not want it to be out there that I called anyone ignorant.

Last edited:

dBm0

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2012
Georgia
I'm relatively new to this vaping thing, but I've been watching to boards and trying to learn what I can from everyone here. I own a Version 2 extended ProVari and absolutely love it, but I do think APVs that have the ability to auto-sense atty ohms and continuously adjust the voltage to maintain a specific wattage is the truest way to achieve a consistent vaping experience. Would love to see the APV industry move in this direction and look forward to seeing more VW options. In the mean time sign me up for the Darwin waiting list. I'm sold.

thewomenfolk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 6, 2009
Colorado John 3:16
I own both. I got a Dawin a year ago and it was just the cat's meow! I got a Provari Mini about 3 or 4 months ago and I love it too. Both are very dependable. I like the shape of the Provari so I might get another for a back-up. Also, the Provari Mini is 2 inches shorter than the Darwin when both have a tank and mouthpiece on them. I like small.

I don't like the blue screen on the Darwin at all. I can't see the numbers without firing it and that seems a waste and hassle to me. I'd love to see a baby Darwin soon....but with a straight shape, not the arm.

You can't go wrong buying either the Darwin or the Provari. They both represent what vaping should be and what everybody is looking for in the end....consistent strong vapes with every single hit. I recommend that those who think they're too expensive to save up your money because they're soooo worth it.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
I own both. I got a Dawin a year ago and it was just the cat's meow! I got a Provari Mini about 3 or 4 months ago and I love it too. Both are very dependable. I like the shape of the Provari so I might get another for a back-up. Also, the Provari Mini is 2 inches shorter than the Darwin when both have a tank and mouthpiece on them. I like small.

I don't like the blue screen on the Darwin at all. I can't see the numbers without firing it and that seems a waste and hassle to me. I'd love to see a baby Darwin soon....but with a straight shape, not the arm.

You can't go wrong buying either the Darwin or the Provari. They both represent what vaping should be and what everybody is looking for in the end....consistent strong vapes with every single hit. I recommend that those who think they're too expensive to save up your money because they're soooo worth it.

Good summary. At least those of us in this thread, by and large, understand the advantages to advanced models like these, which ever one you prefer. There are a few posters on ECF who attack the merits of both of these models for some reason. Probably because they don't own one, lol.

JaneinMesa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
AZ
The Darwin sounds pretty close to what I'm looking for? Looks like they are often out of stock on an item so much in demand. What's the deal? Seems so simple to use. I looked at the Provari and I know the complexity of pushing the button so many times would drives me bonkers. I'd never remember all that. The Darwin looks like it automatically adjusts to everything. Wonderful advancement in PVs! I can't wait until someone comes out with something simple and reliable. I'd pay $400+ for a good unit to just use and enjoy and not always be fooling around with.

nanovapr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2011
Catatonic State, USA
Hi Jane, yes, Darwin is about as simple as it gets. You have one adjustment on a wheel, wattage (which loosely correlates to "how hot it is"), then just about any atty/carto/tank you put on there stays at that setting. At the time you are firing it, it also simultaneously displays voltage, amperage and the resistance of your atty/carto. That's more for convenience if you want to know, Darwin adjusts the voltage, and current draw used is displayed based on whatever the resistance is (and it changes, as the atty/carto ages).

That was probably more words than you wanted, an easier way to think of it is 'set it and forget it'.

Darwins have been out of stock for several months. Evolv has had several new products in the meantime, and Darwin repair turnarounds I hear are still very fast. In the context of this thread "What's better", Provari has to be taking a lead in the real world, because you can easily get one, and they are top-notch devices as well.

JaneinMesa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
AZ
I also watched a review of the itaste. Some really good features, some not so good, but that went for the Provari and Darwin, too. I think I'll wait a few years until someone comes up with something much better than whats out there.

I had a bad day today with trying out my new Smoktech 2.5 DCT Clear Tank. Leaked all over 3 times. First when filling, 2nd when I guess I didn't have the tank pushed all the way down (clicked), then leaked later while I was out. Piece of junk in my opinion. Having to punch holes and such. Almost had a regular cigarette. Lost an Ego Mega Clear Flat Tip tank in one week and the other one isn't working so well. I'm finding the condensation inside the tank very bothersome. I don't like the watery vape and my juices seem to get weak in them.

A good week into vaping and I'm finding it very fiddly. Fiddle with the charging batteries (my week old KGOs are already not holding a charge as well as they did). Fiddling around with the leaking, watery, tanks. Fiddle around with the cartos. Dripping is a pain. Anyone make a regular or XL carto but in a clear casing?

Don't get me wrong, when they do work properly, vaping is an absolutely wonderful experience. I just don't think the technology is here yet to warrant spending hundreds of dollars on trying all the different things out there that don't work very well. The manufacturers can't seem to provide decent instructions or any instructions at all. The websites are crappy and don't list all the specs of an item or describe them very well. Seems ridiculous to have to spend hours on this forum to get information on how to use a product I just purchased. There are no stores near me. Poor warranties on many items. The whole thing is just unprofessional which makes it a sort of underground activity. If the industry could get together do some legitimate testing and improve customer service as well as the technology, I think they'd have a much bigger market. I wouldn't market it as an e-cig, but as vaping. I think its great because its also helping me to satisfy a sweet tooth and I'm not snacking nearly as much as I was.

Sorry to rant on, but like I said, had a very frustrating day. I hope someone comes out with a new vaping machine that addresses all the kinks that currently exist.

Signed, Bummed out because vaping is so good, but a PITA!

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
Jane,
Sorry to hear you had a bad day. Yes, vaping can be frustrating to those new to the gear and lingo. And, with so many devices and accessories, it can get confusing too.

FWIW, these 2 devices (thread discussion) ARE advanced PVs and mostly intended for those with a bit more experience. For example, iTaste cannot really be compared to Darwin and/or ProVari - just not in the same ballpark. Yea, itaste is a vaping device but an $80 starter VV device kit cannot be compared to $230 Advanced gear with digital microprocessors like Darwin and/or ProVari.

Both ProVari and Darwin are excellent devices and considered by most as the top of the game. Both come from well reputed companies and both have solid warranties - just different in form, function and warranty terms (scroll up to see my comparison of these differences).

There most certainly IS a learning curve to vaping. I, and probably all vapers, encourage you to stick with it - it DOES get easier. When you are ready to explore more advanced gear, feel free to shoot me a PM and I will try to help you in as unbiased a fashion as possible. I obviously have my personal preferences and I also acknowledge that ALL in vaping is 100% subjective to personal preferences.

Hope all your tomorrows are better than the frustrating day you had today,
:toast:

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
Keep at it Jane. There are good days and bad days. And, as time goes on, many more of the good. You sound about like I felt after a few weeks. And, if I made it through it, you can to.

And, take NebulaBrot up on his offer. He is one really helpful and great guy and I respect his opinion a lot.

Last edited:

JaneinMesa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
AZ
That's why I was looking here. But the Darwin isn't quite where I want it to be yet, let alone if one can even buy one. Are the Provari and/or Darwin the best that's available? Please someone let me know if a really great PV comes along for <$300. Though work still needs to be done on cartos, too.

I'm hanging in there because I just ordered a bunch of flavors to mix my own juice - that's the part that's fun to fiddle around with. The hardware, not so much.

Thanks all, I appreciate the advice and encouragement.

tearose50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
Tennessee :-)
:oops::blush: Typo corrected.:) IT certainly was a typo!

And, Jane -- I sincerely believe the Darwin and the Provari are the best devices at this time. That's my opinion and I am fortunate to say that I do own and enjoy them both. The debates between devices should not be a contest, but an evaluation of their features.

This industry has come a long way---and there will continue to be more innovations.

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
Jane,
Just a bit more info - although I think you might try an ego twist for now as more of a VV starter (you can get 1000 mah twist for well under $30 - some even as low as $22). this is what I recommend to people for their first VV device. Can't beat it for the price and they really hold the voltage underload very well. I would not recommend using Low Resistance (LR) attys/cartos on them as that can produce underload voltage dropoff and over tax the batt. 2.0Ωs and higher should all just be fine on them and you can just dial the voltage until the taste is where you like it.

There are less expensive ways to try Darwin gear. You can get a decent (Evolv verified) tube for easily under $100 and the Evolv kick is $45. That is one way to go. However, you will also have to purchase IMR/High Drain batts and a charger too. There is the Opus device at Nhaler The Opus but not always in stock. It is a bit pricier at around $245 and I think he has a 5% off code (check his subforum - might be save5). There is also the new JBox. Both of these use the Evolv DNA board (brains of the Darwin) and are both easy to use. Their design is a bit different but both come with built in batteries and come with charge cords. Both have 6 mos warranty. I just posted a write-up on the JBox which you can read here: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...w-jbox-jboxshop-com-my-first-impressions.html Both Opus and JBox are considered higher end devices and both are easy to use. They both have the Evolv technology so they both provide the same vape - but the shape and batteries are different.

Still, I'd suggest you get the inexpensive Ego Twist and use that for a while. Try some different attys and cartos on it to see what YOU like. Some people love 510 attys and/or cartos but I can't stand them. I like the 801 cartos and know many who do not. It is ALL personal preference and unfortunately no one can tell you what you will like. My first year of vaping I was vaping tobacco and tobacco menthol flavors only and I hated them in any carto. They only tasted good to me dripped into attys. I also never liked any fruit flavors in attys and when I switched to all fruit flavors, i also switched to cartos and carto tanks.

Asking people to tell you "... a really great PV ..." is a difficult request to accommodate because EVERYTHING in vaping is 100% subjective. There are some rabid fans of ProVari just as there are for Dawins. Some like and appreciate both - as Tearose just posted. But there certainly ARE those who emphatically prefer one or the other. Again, all subjective.

Good luck with your DIY! I DIY and love it. There are some great DIY recipes posted.

Last edited:

JaneinMesa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
AZ
JBox is beautiful. The screwdriver is a big turn off for me. I liked the Darwin for the automatic adjustment and the itaste for the simple up/down buttons. I think I will take your advice and pick up a Twist when I need a new battery and give it a try. Maybe by then I'll have either quit vaping (or cut way back) or they'll be new technology available.

Question: Evolv makes the Darwin? Is it only sold by Nhaler? Did a search and not much comes up.

NebulaBrot

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2010
in the NEBULA
JBox is beautiful. The screwdriver is a big turn off for me. I liked the Darwin for the automatic adjustment and the itaste for the simple up/down buttons. I think I will take your advice and pick up a Twist when I need a new battery and give it a try. Maybe by then I'll have either quit vaping (or cut way back) or they'll be new technology available.

Question: Evolv makes the Darwin? Is it only sold by Nhaler? Did a search and not much comes up.

Yes, Evolv makes the Darwin, the Kick, and the DNA board that is in the Opus and JBox. Evolv is the only USA manufacturer of Power Regulated (variable WATTS). Darwins have not been available in a while and NHaler is the only vender. Nhaler is also the only vender to get the Opus.

I'd still suggest you go with the Twist. Nhaler has those as well: EGO C Twist Batteries 650mAh and 1000mAh

Opus does not use a screwdriver, it has a dial right on top (similar to Darwin but the entire dial is exposed as opposed to only the edge - like on Darwin). Both Opus and JBox both provide the same functions as Darwin - they just do not have the screen. Each is a slightly different shape and they are similar in size. The finish is different and Opus does not offer different woods. If you do not like the idea of the mini-screwdriver (however, as I wrote in the JBox write-up, variable watts is different from variable volts in that you really do not need to change the setting [Regulated Power - variable watts - sets for temperature of the vape and automatically adjusts the power for you regardless of the atty/carto resistance] so the screwdriver becomes sort of a non-issue once you find your sweet spot), the Opus provides the same features without any screwdriver. You can email NHaler and request to be put on their notifications list for when the Opus is in stock. Doing this will get you a notification when the Opus comes back into stock so you have a heads-up to purchase. Getting on the notifications list does not obligate you to purchase one and it does not give you a place in line. Getting on the notifications list will just get you a notification about a day or few hours before they are listed on the website so you have the opportunity to buy. If you want to consider the Opus, I'd suggest you get on that list (they sell out FAST) and you can always just not purchase if you decide you are not ready or do not want one. Meanwhile, you certainly cannot go wrong with twist and if you decide to get a higher end device - the twist is a great back-up. Golden Rule in vaping: ALWAYS HAVE A BACK-UP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread