What's better

Status
Not open for further replies.

babemomlover

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 23, 2012
Ann Arbor, MI
This is an ignorant comment by someone who has never owned a Darwin, I get 18+ hours out of my Darwin,

OUCH.
Talk about silly fan-boy'ism.
Grow up.

besides that everyone vapes differently,
I've found that I've vaped heavy enough to use the 2000 mAh battery on the provari in less then a day, makes me happy I never decided to get a darwin

jkmtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Lebanon TN
Seriously? Look up the word ignorant sometime, it means uninformed, just like the ignorant comment you just made.

As someone who has owned a Provari, 4 to be exact, a Darwin, a bunch of other PVs, and am currently vaping on my Opus, I would say my knowledge of this is at worst, experienced, and certainly informed.

With a 3 ohm Boge on my Provari at anywhere from 4.5 volts to 5.5 volts I would get about 12 to 15 hours depending on the day, with a Panasonic 18650 2250 may.

With the same setup on my Darwin I recently ran it completely dead, it to two days, you do the math.

Hell my Opus is 1200 may an its battery life will stomp a mudhole in anything you can put in a Provari.

But, I'm sure I'm wasting my breath, because just as you have already done, you will look for the perceived insults and ignore the info of an educated member, and restate the Provari fan boy line.

OUCH.
Talk about silly fan-boy'ism.
Grow up.

besides that everyone vapes differently,
I've found that I've vaped heavy enough to use the 2000 mAh battery on the provari in less then a day, makes me happy I never decided to get a darwin

Startle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
NY, NY
Provari for me as I'm heavily into tanks as opposed to cartos mainly for juice volume reasons.

The Darwin form factor (control arm) leaves too little options for atty configurations.

I personally think the variable wattage may be better than variable voltage options but I'll hold out for a redesign that accommodates more delivery options.

Vape On!

retird

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 31, 2010
North Side
Yet another D'win vs. Provari thread....and as normally occurs, digresses into a "piss..g match"....what a shame....both are great APV's.... one is Variable Voltage, the other Variable Wattage...kinda like comparing apples to oranges....some love apples, others love oranges...and some love apples and oranges equally....

Only comment from me is that finding my "happy place" is really what matters....and having found it, my hope is that ALL vapers find theirs....there are hundreds of threads where vapers are searching for PV's, attys, carto's, juice, etc. to find their "happy place"....when, and if, you find it, all this bantering becomes just passive reading....and justifying your PV of choice is an "exercise in futility"....but that's just my opinion...

Do I have a PV that I recommend....yes, as most of us do....will I try to cram it down someone's throat,....no....the choice is yours to make....

Good luck in your search for your "happy place"....

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
My vote is on the provari.Reasons for me are it is built like a tank,service is top notch.I like the round shape over the rectangular.The v2 witch all are now goes from 2.9-6volt,shows loaded voltage.One other top reason for me is easy change of a fresh battery i don't want to vape with a cord on it nor am i by a electrical outlet at all times.

This was looking like a good thread until I read this post. It's amazing how some of the BS still comes out by a few Provari addicts about the Darwin. Since the Darwin provides 21 - 35 hours of heavy vaping time on a charge, the BS about being tethered to an outlet is just that: BS. Unless one sleeps only every other day, there is no need to vape while charging the Darwin, although it is nice that the Darwin doubles as a pass-through if one forgets to charge it.

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Provari for me as I'm heavily into tanks as opposed to cartos mainly for juice volume reasons.

The Darwin form factor (control arm) leaves too little options for atty configurations.

I personally think the variable wattage may be better than variable voltage options but I'll hold out for a redesign that accommodates more delivery options.

Vape On!

I use tanks and mega cartos on my Darwin, so whatever "limitations" you are talking about must be imaginary.

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Good point! Darwins are my daily carry, I keep a lanyarded Boge Revolution for use at home while mowing and other PV-unfriendly activities. I put a little label on each Darwin with my phone number and email. If it were lost, and it were found, it would be of no use to Joe Average at all. A label gives me a chance to get it back if lost.

That's an excellent idea. Thank you for sharing!

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
As someone who has owned both devices, and the Darwin won, I can say its hard to find a flaw with either.

I will say that you can tell by how confident that the average Darwin owner is, exactly how good the Darwin is, by their answers to your question, in the Darwin forum, and the static answer is that both are great, its essentially up to what works for you.

Now notice the reaction of the average Provari owner on this board, anywhere, anytime, if someone mentions the Provari, you can rest assured that they will arrive in force to let you know why the Provari is the greatest thing ever. Just interesting to note the confidence of Darwinia, over and against the insecurity of the Order of the provari.

All that said, they shouldn't feel insecure, the Provari is a great device, but cannot be compared to the Darwin, or the Opus for that matter.

One great thing about the Provari, you can order one right now.

This is excellent insight and on target. I rarely if ever see Darwin owners bad mouthing the Provari. Most comment that both are top of the line models. But many times I have read Provari owners attack any post providing positive comments on the Darwin. It's quite sad, especially for those doing the attacking.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
It's all about preference when you choose a mod. I have a Provari and like it very much. It's a heavy PV, but that just reminds me that its made of stainless steel and not lightweight aluminum. It works fine and delivers the vape I want and has the amperage capacity to use any resistance I care to try, since it's variable from 2.9v to 6v.

That said, there's a rainbow of different PV mods out there and you just have to sift through the specs and decide on looks, features and versatility, and price. Your choice may differ from mine and that's to be expected.

When you get right down to price, a really good mod costs about the same price as several cartons of cigarettes. We wouldn't think twice about satisfying our cigarette addiction month after month at high cost, but when it comes to PVs, we get stingy with the money! I guess it's all about saving money. Even though, a well made U.S. mod should come with a service department that can repair your investment rather than just selling you another one at retail. Service counts and it's worth asking about. Service includes upgrades at reasonable cost so that yours doesn't become obsolete.

I like the "Browse by Features" link in this database. You can narrow it down to the features you want and then browse them.
Best e-Cig Mod List | e-Cig Mods Database

Last edited:

wv2win

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2009
GA by way of WV
Yes...for all these reasons I vote Provari!

QUOTE=babemomlover;6594083]Darwin is cool pretty much just cause of the variable wattage feature.

I picked a provari for a few reasons.
Battery life is longer (2000 w/ ext. cap compared to 1800)
I personally thinks it looks better, the swivel on the darwin freaks me out
Battery situation is better in general, you can switch em out, so you can literally swap batteries out and vape longer between recharges.

And that's about it. Batteries pointed me in the provari direction and the looks sold it
[/QUOTE]

This is an ignorant comment by someone who has never owned a Darwin, I get 18+ hours out of my Darwin, and that leaves me with about 40% battery life remaing, with my Provari and a 2250 Panasonic IMR I on average got about 12 to 15 hours of battery life.
[/QUOTE]

Someone's mad!

Not mad, just helpful enough to others on ECF that jkmtwo doesn't want ignorant and inaccurate information to be left unchallenged in a thread. When someone makes statements out of their back end with no facts to support it, those of us who have used both models in question would rather correct the ignorance. It's part of being a good neighbor on ECF instead of just being a provari fanboy.

jkmtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Lebanon TN
Let me clear some stuff up, I agree with retired, this ...... contest crap is stupid.

I don't hate the Provari, I loved mine so much I owned 4, I defended the Provari against people who made similar ignorent comments, like the menu system, or my personal fav, "if I spent that much money on something I wouldnt want to take it out of the house", people who make these statements are usually people who have never owned a provari, thus making a declaration based on ignorance.

I could give you pros on behalf of the Provari, plenty, its in my opinion the 3rd best device out there, I even prefer it to a kicked mod. If I were to buy another tube mod it would be a provari.

All that said, I hate charging batteries, I hate having to pull out a charger, multimeter, and all that, so, at one time I had nearly 30 batteries, all in the interest of charging once every 2 weeks.

The Darwin, and the Opus won for me, on that alone, never mind the ease of VW over and against VV, its the fact that
I can vape til my eyes bleed on my opus and I'm good
And that's 1200 mah, never mind the Darwin's 1800 mah, both of which, depending on use get charged everyday, along with my cell phone at night when i go to bed. 1 battery will not get you a full day in a Provari.

Any other flameworthy comments will be ignored, so if you want to troll go troll in one of the TW threads.

I think it is also pertenant to point out, the OP asked this in the Darwin forum, the question itself begs that he is looking for an honest comparison, which can only be done by those who have used both.

lowboy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2010
Middle of nowhere
Well I got two Darwins but never have tried a Provari.
Now I did order a Provari the other day. I have yet to receive it.
The mail system(Found out that the USPS uses Fed-Ex and UPS to ship their packages) like to take their sweet time.
I am very curious about how they compare. After I get it I can honestly have an opinion.

I do believe they will be very close in comparison. At times I prefer a tube and others I'm glad I got my Darwin.

Liv2Ski

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2010
Burnt Hills NY
My first APV was the Provape-1. I was impressed and immediately jumped in for the pre order and delivery of the first Provaris. Provape builds a fine product and both units have served me well without an issue. I do like and still use both. Those units helped me understand that there was more to vaping than an eGo/Riva batt and a Cisco LR 306!

I liked the VV option enough that I decided I should try a Darwin with its VW technology when they came on the market. With the Darwin I found that I like my DIY juice at around 8.5 - 9 watts and I was able to get that consistently no matter what atty/carto I threw on the Darwin. In fact I really liked the VW so much I have ended up with three Darwins, five Kicks and an Opus in the vaping arsenal.

Only YOU can decide which factors (tube vs rectangle, VV vs VW, on board batts vs replaceable, LED vs LCD screen, button vs wheel etc etc etc) are important to you. In the end no matter which unit you chose you will have a top of the line American designed APV that will provide you with years of service. Both units will set you back about the same in initial investment but you would have spent that on smokes anyway and now you end up with a cool piece of gear that will not be reduced to ashes. Best of luck to the OP no matter which one you go with and happy vapes

jkmtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 31, 2012
Lebanon TN
Another thing, why not throw the Opus in this mix as well, it may be easier to come by than the Darwin, at least in the short term, that is if the OP doesn't mind not having the screen. The only reason I even say this is because these debates are fruitless, the real debate here should be VW v. VV, and I think that the Opus gets to the heart of VW, the screen on the Darwin is nice, but the more I use my Opus the less I miss the screen, VW is about the experience that one is looking for, the numbers are surplus, they aren't needed. VV, the numbers are needed, jmho.

Andy Thatcher

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 22, 2012
Brit in Orlando
I own two Vari's.

With out doubt the best is .... which one you prefer. Really is an arguement to nothing both are great devices.

I obviously prefer the ProVari but would love an Opus after playing with one.

Love the facility of the Darwin not a fan of the form factor but that is my choice.

Really don't think you can go terribly wrong with either of the ProVari's, Opus or Darwin.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
Variable voltage or wattage vaping is all about tailoring the vape to your taste. Pretty much all will do it, even a plastic box mod. The decision is about features, feel, performance, and reliability. Cost enters into the equation, too.

Price and appearance seem to sway many people. No one wants an ugly ecig, especially an expensive ugly ecig. Ugliness and beauty are in the eye of the beholder. We all have our own idea of which one fits our needs. Chances are that our choice won't be everyone's choice. We have to understand that when we discuss the "best" vv mod.

There will always be fanboy comments, but the best thing we can do is state our preference, give a good reason for our choice, and stand by and watch the response.

Last edited:

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
The darwin or the provari

I do think the only way to answer this question is for you to own one of each. Everything else is just subjective opinion. This thread has proven to be excellent in giving you specifics about both devices. If I had the ability, I would own one of each. And that will most likely be the case "soon-ish"...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread