• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

What's For Pet Dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

seamonkey

Feb 9, 2010
Louisiana
I have 2 dogs and 3 cats. One of my dogs, my senior akita mix, has pretty bad grain allergies, so I feed her grain free kibble. The dogs did so well on it, the cats are grain free too, which is great because they don't shed any more.

the dogs get taste of the wild bison formula and the cats get Solid Gold indigo moon.

If they get wet food (Lucy will stop eating and hold out for wet food) the dogs get Solid Gold Green beef tripe and the cats get whatever grain free food i can find.

I felt AWFUL. Lucy wasn't eating, so I got her and George some of the blue buffalo family selects wet food. I double checked the ingredients and there was nothing in it she would have been allergic to. 2 hours after eating it, she had chewed 3 spots bald and I had to bring her to the vet for steroid shots, antibiotics, and a hot spot spray.

They don't get supplements, except Lucy because she is going to be 11 in October. The vet mentioned putting her on a joint supplement because she is considered large breed, so I have her on Phycox

whiskey

Moved On
Jan 13, 2010
I feed my two dogs holistic Eagle pac..Dry with their water after, twice a day and have had great results..I don't feed them human food, as I believe its not good for their kidney & digestive systems. With that said, there are diets that consist of raw meats & veg's..called the raw diet..you can find the recipe in most informational dog/canine books. Some people like to do that. Both ways are fine, one is time consuming the other(Dry) is okay for the way I do it & easy, but also a good balance of nutrition. I also add a digestive bacteria to help them break down the nutrients from the food & use it throughout their systems for healthier bones, muscles, organs etc.My dogs were never given a choice between foods to become finicky with it so therefore they are at their bowls, at mealtime, ready to eat
EVERYTIME..oh..healthy treats are allowed, but only for rewarding them in training. LOL ;)

Last edited:

MSmusicstudios

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2010
Mlps, MN
Sure do... These two are not puppies I guess, but I still think of them that way....

This is Lucy my Boston Terrier....
DSC_0034.jpg

Here is my little rescue pug Dexter

DSC_0004.jpg

And the two together....

DSC_0077.jpg

Happy Domino38

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
Toronto Canada
www.happyvaper.com
Piper gets Wellness dry food.

For breakfast, she gets a cup of Wellness and a tablespoon of plain yogurt. She gets a handful of blueberries or I cut up 1/2 a banana.

For lunch, a cup of Wellness and, every other day, she gets 1/4 tin of mackeral in brine. No salt added.

Dinner is green tripe and raw chicken backs.

Once a week we 'do down' her veggies..take carrots, yams/sweet potatoes/kale/a little bit of cabbage/parsley/celery/garlic and squash and pop them into a food processor, grind them up and put them in one of the empty yogurt containers. Then, you can always give them a tablespoon of it in with the dry.

No caloric intake per say and it does wonders for their coats!! :)

Happy Domino38

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
Toronto Canada
www.happyvaper.com
I'm not sure what Foxy was eating, but it seems she has been out in the woods again.
You should have seen her running from me while I was trying to take her "catch" from her.
She won, and I still don't know what it was.

Ha!! We had a little Westie growing up and I can always remember her going down the ravine and coming up with someone's LOBSTER CLAW!! :shock:

It was bigger than SHE was!! Luckily she brought it 'home' before chowing down on it...:lol:

MSmusicstudios

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2010
Mlps, MN
Once a week we 'do down' her veggies..take carrots, yams/sweet potatoes/kale/a little bit of cabbage/parsley/celery/garlic and squash and pop them into a food processor, grind them up and put them in one of the empty yogurt containers. Then, you can always give them a tablespoon of it in with the dry.

This is a great idea!!!!! I am going to try it! Currently we dehydrate fruits and veggies for the dogs, and give those as treats!

Lorizgal

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 21, 2010
Really near the mexican border.
I get my food for my 9 ferrets and 2 dogs from Www.caseyshiddenpantry.com for much less than anywhere else I can find dehydrated raw food. My ferrets like it just the way it comes out of the bag, except broken up into littler chunks and my dogs well they will eat it anytime anywhere anyhow they can get it.
they all also get kibble, the ferrets get a mixture of Innova EVO cat/kitten and/or ferret, Zupreem ferret food, solid gold indigo moon cat/kitten food and felidae.
My dogs get blue buffalo (Evolutionary diet) and EVO red meat and candidae.

If you know anyone with ferrets that needs bedding or water bottles, or whatever I probably have it and will trade for ecig products. I used to run a rescue and am over run with bedding especially. Gently used and some new.

let me know. PM me with an addy and what you have to trade and I will get back with you.

bestthingever

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2010
Birmingham, AL
Piper gets Wellness dry food.

For breakfast, she gets a cup of Wellness and a tablespoon of plain yogurt. She gets a handful of blueberries or I cut up 1/2 a banana.

For lunch, a cup of Wellness and, every other day, she gets 1/4 tin of mackeral in brine. No salt added.

Dinner is green tripe and raw chicken backs.

Domino, I found this intriguing. I have always believed 'garbage in, garbage out' when it comes to pet food. However, with 3 big labs it can get a little too expensive to feed premium food consistently. We try to do it as much as we can afford to, though. I believe that Wellness is one of the better brands; did you research it thoroughly before you settled on that brand ? I've read that dogs tend to eat less of the better quality foods, so that it's really not more expensive in the long run. Have you found this to be true ?
Loved your tip about the fruits/veggies ! But what the heck is green tripe ?

juicefreak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2009
Oklahoma
mine get fresh ground raw (bones and all) in the morning and grainless kibble/home cooked stew in the evenings. All their treats are homemade.

for the home cooked stew, we pressure cook down a chicken and add sweet potato (not too much - causes the runs), celery for nerves and muscles, carrots, spinach, brown rice, peas and whatever else we have on hand.

when done, we food processor it down to dog food mush (bones and all = pressure cooked chicken bones are safe)

> scoop into cupcake tins and freeze.

when frozen, pop out and ziploc bag them up and freeze. 1 cup cake nuked and added their kibble and they are in heaven. We give salmon, mackerel or sardines instead of the stew a few x a week.

easy treat recipe >

throw it all together in a food processor or blender:

1 tub of chicken livers (i rinse the blood out)
1 carrot
1 celery stalk
garlic powder (light shakes)
parsley for the garlic toots
parmesan or grated cheddar (not too much - just enough that they taste it)
or about a cup of low fat cottage cheese
1 egg w/shell
1 egg w/o

add a little low fat/salt chicken broth to make it a little more soupy

potato flakes and oats add 1/2 and 1/2 into the processor. maybe 1 1/2 cups total? depends on how soupy the batter is.

**if your dog is allergic to grains, then you're going to have to be creative; use no chicken broth, drain livers well; maybe grind up some beans into flour?

when all mixed it should be the consistency of raw meat loaf

at this point you can make individual treats (see below) or the easy way is to lightly olive oil a cookie sheet (with shallow sides) and spread the batter like rice krispy treats

rolled method:

i flour the counter with about a cup of flour and use it very sparingly.

knead a little into the batter (enough to handle it lightly)

scoop a little over a tsp full of batter into my floured hand and roll into a ball. add more flour as needed to prevent it from sticking to your hands.

smoosh and put on an olive oil greased pan. I fill 2 large air bake pans. If I double the recipe I use 4.

I bake on convection bake for 30 mins at 350 degs. maybe 400 degs for a regular oven? when the edges are browning let them go a little bit more if your dog likes crunchy cookies. *some times i flip them over the last 10 mins to get them good and crunchy. don't go TOO far or they will come out like bricks. The more liquid you use in the recipe, the longer the cooking time.

cool on racks and keep your pets out of the kitchen or they will ..... you out for a bite or counter surf all your hard work ;) I have training sessions on baking day and they will do ANYTHING i ask like they are in boot camp for a fresh out of the oven cookie lol.

tip: don't precook potatoes or you will have a mushy treat that will never harden.

the recipe should make about a gal ziploc bag full of treats. they don't last long enough! freeze and take out a few days at a time and refrigerate.

you can substitute the chicken livers for salmon, beef, chicken, whatever you want to throw in there that is safe for pets.

it's a super easy recipe and you can add leftovers from your fridge. Just get the consistency of meatloaf and go easy as you can on the grains and they will come out fine. it sounds like a lot of trouble but prep start to finish is about 30 minutes/ + baking time.

i sometimes make cheese treats the same way, minus the meats.

warning: your dogs will never eat store bought treats again.

honuhart

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 9, 2009
cincinnati ohio
Juicefreak, thanks for the great recipes!!

Bestthingever, you can do a google search for the "dogfood ratings" site, it gives the breakdown on all the dog foods. It is great to see others in here using raw diets and also using the better dog foods. Wellness is one the best (6 out of 6 star rating), i use merrick (5 star i think) because i have 3 shih tzu's and that seems to be the one that they all have no problems with. I do add boiled chicken, sweet potatos, pumpkin and various vegetables at times, table scraps as long as it is not anything spicey. Sometimes i take the dry food and soak it and mush it into the mix.

2 months before they offically announced the dogfood recall (a few years back) my dog got real sick. After numerous stays at the vet and 1000.00 dollars later they still could not tell me what was wrong with him. He was only 2 years old and this "illness" would come and go. So when they announced the recall and the symptoms 2 months later, we knew exactly what had been wrong with him. I was one of the lucky ones, mine lived. I think the only reason he didn't die was because i was feeding him so many different dogfoods at the time and i didn't have a clue that it might be the food that was making him on and off sick. So thats when i started looking into the crap i had been feeding him. I was shocked at what they put into dogfood, some of it is not fit for human consumption. Anyways, i try to feed them a good diet, i can pay now or pay in vet bills later. I won't buy anything that says by-product or that has ethoxyquin in it. Beet pulp is suppose to be bad also. Grains are not suppose to be that great, and i think i just read they think animals are having problems from the gmo's.

Sylvie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2010
USA
For my small dog's, I boil a large breast chicken, shred it and mix it with boiled rice. I get about a weeks worth of dinners .. During the day, he munches on Ians healthy naturals' lamb and rice (has done wonders at eliminating his joint stiffness problem it seems)..

For the cats, they are all addicted to meow mix original. I've tried to get them into better cat food brands but they just don't want them, even new kittens when they are old enough to eat will avoid their kitten food and go after the meow mix, and only the original one..weird but least they picked a brand decent priced enough I guess since we have way too many permanent kitties around :)

Happy Domino38

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
Toronto Canada
www.happyvaper.com
Domino, I found this intriguing. I have always believed 'garbage in, garbage out' when it comes to pet food. However, with 3 big labs it can get a little too expensive to feed premium food consistently. We try to do it as much as we can afford to, though. I believe that Wellness is one of the better brands; did you research it thoroughly before you settled on that brand ? I've read that dogs tend to eat less of the better quality foods, so that it's really not more expensive in the long run. Have you found this to be true ?
Loved your tip about the fruits/veggies ! But what the heck is green tripe ?

I went with the breeders recommendations for the Wellness. She's one of the good ones that's VERY into their health. From God's mouth to her ear kinda gal.

Green tripe is absolutely DISGUSTING! It smells like dead body!! (And, as a Paramedic, I speak from experience...) The GREEN variety of tripe is from the respiratory tract I believe....esophagus and lung tissue..P-UKE!

But, SHE loves it!! When we get it, it's frozen SOLID and Brian takes an ice pick and hammer to the slab and knocks it down to 'portion sizes'. Then I Ziploc them and nuke them for dinner.

jj2

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2009
Hundred Acre Wood
I went with the breeders recommendations for the Wellness. She's one of the good ones that's VERY into their health. From God's mouth to her ear kinda gal.

Green tripe is absolutely DISGUSTING! It smells like dead body!! (And, as a Paramedic, I speak from experience...) The GREEN variety of tripe is from the respiratory tract I believe....esophagus and lung tissue..P-UKE!

But, SHE loves it!! When we get it, it's frozen SOLID and Brian takes an ice pick and hammer to the slab and knocks it down to 'portion sizes'. Then I Ziploc them and nuke them for dinner.

Well that sounds yummy.:ohmy:

Wellness is the main dog food and I give her turkey and chicken--mostly chicken. I'd love it if she would take vegetables, but won't touch them. I tried mixing chicken and veggies but then she won't eat it at all.
She really had a breath problem and my vet suggested Science Diet Oral Care. She thinks it's a treat so that's how we hand it out.
I don't know if that is it, or she's prone that way, but the vet says she's got clean great teeth for a ten year old.

Happy Domino38

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 27, 2010
Toronto Canada
www.happyvaper.com
ha! Yup, it's a Galloping Gourmet in here every night!! We've just learned to hold our breath when we dump the tripe in there...and it's not as if the smell 'lingers', it's gone in the blink of an eye!! :shock:

I've recently STOPPED nuking it in the micro, the smell kinda 'wafts' about the house, so now I'm taking one of the Ziplocs out of the freezer in the morning and leaving it in the fridge for the day. Then, it's 98% defrosted by dinner time!! :)

bestthingever

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2010
Birmingham, AL
ha! Yup, it's a Galloping Gourmet in here every night!! We've just learned to hold our breath when we dump the tripe in there...and it's not as if the smell 'lingers', it's gone in the blink of an eye!! :shock:

I've recently STOPPED nuking it in the micro, the smell kinda 'wafts' about the house, so now I'm taking one of the Ziplocs out of the freezer in the morning and leaving it in the fridge for the day. Then, it's 98% defrosted by dinner time!! :)

When I read your post, I thought "Wow, nothing beats the death-smell like microwaved death-smell !" :unsure:
Where do you get tripe, and why is it good for them ?

I've read the dog food review sites, and they do get down to the nitty-gritty on the ingredients; it does make sense to forego the grain-heavy varieties, after all, dogs are carnivores. I have also read about the raw diets, but I've seen some controversy about giving dogs whole pieces of raw, bone-in meats. Can't make up my mind about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread