What's the better charger for cells ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use a nitecore 2 bay charger, not sure of the model. I have used an older nitecore 4 bay, and 2 bay charger for 4+ years in the past. I never had any problems with any of these chargers.

Electonics wear out people. They use components that have a limited lifespan, usually what fails are the electrolytic capacitors, similar to common failiures in flat screen televisions. Some components don't last, and some are designed to fail.

As long as a device perform the functions it is designed for and prevents potentially hazardous failures with the safeties in its design specifications for its expected lifespan, it is a good product. If it fails, replace it. If it is designed without the necessary safeties, don't buy it.

Pay attention to whether it is performing appropriately. Buy a multimeter and check it's output over time, as well as the batteries resting voltage after a charge. These are basic operating principles when dealing with electronics and batteries (aka. Electrochemical storage devices).

Advertising is not to be trusted. The main purpose of advertising is to sell a product. Advertising creates an interest in what it is trying to sell. Do some in-depth study on chargers, and specifically, on the circuits and manufacture of the circuitry used for producing your charger.

If you're not into that, that's ok. Knowing how and why something fails is very interesting to me. I hope you engage these questions and find interest in this subject.

Knowing what is the beginning, asking why is the next step, and understanding how is one of the last, most important steps in creating a better product (not counting all the b.s. involved in getting a product to market).

Sorry for the rant, we seem to be living close to the age of idiocracy. Peace, I'm out.
Well said. I don't see it as a rant. You made very points that make perfect sense. Yup your right these day's some but not all products are designed to fail after a few or more years, this I accept but don't like it one bit, it is what it is.
But I'll always pay a little more for 100% quality products that will last through my life time.

Reactions: Blitzdonlife
Buy a Gyrfalcon All-88 once and you'll never buy another charger again. When I got mine a couple of years ago it retired all of my LUC's, Nitecore's, Xtar's and other lessor chargers I have.

View attachment 840231
View attachment 840235
Thank you Spydro, I'm gonna go with your recommendation. I looked at the reviews and there pretty solid for these particular brand chargers but I'll go with the 4 bay ( GYRFALCON ALL44 ) instead of the ALL88 8 bay. Much appreciated as I wasn't even aware The GYRFALCON chargers existed. Thank You !

Last edited:
A VERY good Charger review and resource site, you will find chargers that you never heard of with EXTREMELY detailed analysis, charts, graphs, and thermal imaging showing hotspots:
Round cell charger index
Thank you Scott that charger index is great asset to have.

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
Anyone still use a pila charger? It's just a 2 bay, but have had mine for 6 years maybe and still perfect

I got mine way back with a Provari. I still use to charge WIFI dog fence collars, two dogs and the two batteries charge every other day. I use a Nitecore D4 for vape batteries, wanted to charge them at a low rate and have a visual rather than red/green light. The Nightcore let's me do that. But the Pila is around six years old, going strong.

Reactions: Rossum
Buy a Gyrfalcon All-88 once and you'll never buy another charger again. When I got mine a couple of years ago it retired all of my LUC's, Nitecore's, Xtar's and other lessor chargers I have.

View attachment 840231
View attachment 840235
Can't thank you enough for your recommendation for the gyrfalcon charger. It bought the All44. Great option for auto or manual operation where the owner can set each bay separately selecting voltage cut off and charging current. I
I know my cells are fully charged. With my XStar the read out would say FULL but the voltage read out on my unregulated mods would always read lower than full, like 4.0 or 4.1 or with dual series 8.21.
Now with the gyrfalcon the mod voltage read rings true to the charger read out 4.2 or 8.4 ( Dual cells in series )
I use to think the mods had faulty read outs but now I know it was the XTAR VC4 that was faulty.
Love this gyrfalcon charger. It screams quality. Thank you again Spydro and everyone else for your recommendations.

Last edited:
Reactions: mimöschen

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I have the Nitecore i4, Efest LUC 4, Zanflare C4, and the Opus C3100. The Opus is my goto charger just because it gives me relative internal resistance readings that are useful in determining health of a cell. I almost never need to charge more than 4 cells at once, so the others stay in a drawer for backup. All are good, but the Nitecore i4 seems to heat up cells much more than the others at the same charge level.:)

I've never tried the GyrFalcon. It looks to be a good charger.

Last edited:
Reactions: ralph persico

Vaping-Jeff

Multiple ID Suspension
Dec 27, 2019
  • Deleted by Misty
  • Reason: unregistered supplier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread