What's under your lip/in your nose right now? - Part 2

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
What a great week. After battling with Jake, my rescued Labradoodle, for nearly four months, he's finally getting it, other than understanding where he's supposed to pee and occasionally pooping.

I've been taking him next door to play with my neighbor's rescue. We have the same invisible fence so he was restricted to his yard. However, this week I started using a slip lead as opposed to the retractable leash and I noticed he's walk right beside me when I used the slip. I then started taking it off when we got to my driveway and he'd walk the 100 yards right with me. That led me to walking him over without the lead on, but with it in my hand incase a car was coming, not knowing how he'd react.

Then I stopped putting the correction collar on at all and he stays in both of our yards without any issue. Today, I cleared out a few small trees and put a hole through a rock fence so now the dogs can pass thru the two properties when they're out. I will put the fence collar on him at that point so I don't need to worry about him when he's out of site.

As long as the transmitters cross signals they don't throw out a warning. It's been a rally good week.

hittman

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Somewhere between here and there
    What a great week. After battling with Jake, my rescued Labradoodle, for nearly four months, he's finally getting it, other than understanding where he's supposed to pee and occasionally pooping.

I've been taking him next door to play with my neighbor's rescue. We have the same invisible fence so he was restricted to his yard. However, this week I started using a slip lead as opposed to the retractable leash and I noticed he's walk right beside me when I used the slip. I then started taking it off when we got to my driveway and he'd walk the 100 yards right with me. That led me to walking him over without the lead on, but with it in my hand incase a car was coming, not knowing how he'd react.

Then I stopped putting the correction collar on at all and he stays in both of our yards without any issue. Today, I cleared out a few small trees and put a hole through a rock fence so now the dogs can pass thru the two properties when they're out. I will put the fence collar on him at that point so I don't need to worry about him when he's out of site.

As long as the transmitters cross signals they don't throw out a warning. It's been a rally good week.

I’m glad things are smoothing out for you with the dog. I just finished putting up a new ceiling fan in the master bedroom. It’s noble bronze in color with blades that look like barn wood. The lights have these plastic cages around them. I’ve had it for 2-3 weeks waiting for a 12” downrod that I had to order online. First time it was shipped in a brown paper envelope and was delivered empty without the rod inside. Second time they wised up and shipped it in a box.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Hitt, I've got one still in the box that my gf got from her friend that passed away. The thought of replacing the one already there with my bad shoulder has kept it in the box nd had me fining an LED floor lamp that seems to have quieted her desire to have the fan with light installed. I've hung every one in this house over the years and know what a pain they are, without the pain.

Reactions: hittman

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Hitt, I've got one still in the box that my gf got from her friend that passed away. The thought of replacing the one already there with my bad shoulder has kept it in the box nd had me fining an LED floor lamp that seems to have quieted her desire to have the fan with light installed. I've hung every one in this house over the years and know what a pain they are, without the pain.
    It’s been a while since I had worked overhead like that and felt it. The ceiling is raised and it was really hot up there.

1677461420039.jpeg

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    That's a fancy ceiling. I just say them building one on 24 Hr Flip.
    It's a new show where this couple buys and then turns trash into treasure. I think they're from NY. Apparently my gf's nephew has something to do with the show but haven't figured out how.

The husband picks up properties and his wife is a designer/agent. They have some 30 or 40 guys come in and work two 12 hour days to get the converted house ready for an open house on the third day. It's kind of bizarre.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    That's a fancy ceiling. I just say them building one on 24 Hr Flip.
    It's a new show where this couple buys and then turns trash into treasure. I think they're from NY. Apparently my gf's nephew has something to do with the show but haven't figured out how.

The husband picks up properties and his wife is a designer/agent. They have some 30 or 40 guys come in and work two 12 hour days to get the converted house ready for an open house on the third day. It's kind of bizarre.
    When they rush stuff like that I always wonder how well the work was done. We went to look at some vanity lights yesterday. We have a big 48” mirror with the old Hollywood lights above it. We discussed replacing it with two mirrors and two light fixtures but then I’d have to patch the Sheetrock where the box is now and probably have to cut a hole in the wall to run the wires through the beams. It doesn’t seem like it’s worth it and I’m not good at patching Sheetrock. So I think we’re just going to go back with an updated fixture with five bulbs.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    I don't know what came over me, but I made a few sheetrock repairs that came out great. I also had a drop stairs put in my hallway to access the attic space in the back of the house. My friend who passed put it in, with me as the helper, put them in but none of the drywall ever got repaired. That was like that for years. When we were painting, I decided to give it a shot. I couldn't believe I actually made it look good.

There were some good Youtube videos on patches like you're talking about. I followed one where I had a couple holes where a removed towel rack made holes in the drywall. That came out nice also.
    I have a tarp coming from Amazon that is supposed to fit my 10/20 canopied frame I got from HF five years ago. I bought a separate 16 mill tarp that I had to cut a bit and add grommets to that held up for 5 years. I noticed water was getting in somewhere and the firewood at the bottom of some of the stacks needed to be dried.

I'm hoping I can just pull this one over the older one and fasten it to the frame with the supplied ball bungies. 2 16 mill tarps should hopefully outlive me, At a cost of something like $13 to me, it's worth a shot.

Last edited:

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Sometimes sheet rock repairs come out ok for me and sometimes not but don’t want to look at a bad repair every morning when I brush my teeth. There isn’t attic access above the master bathroom so I’d have to cut sheet rock so I could drill holes to run the wiring. It’s just not worth it.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Yeah, I get that totally. I was real apprehensive in attempting it, particularly since my friend didn't want to handle it and he was the most talented guy I've ever known. I had so many areas that needed repair that I was feeling pretty confident by the time I was finished.

The one big one that's still outstanding is in the master bedroom where the tape between the wall and ceiling didn't hold up. It's a 17 foot stretch that I wan't looking forward to. My gf has so much stuffed into that room that it has to be worked on in good weather where some stuff can be moved outside to even get to it.

I might not live that long.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    I forgot to mention the transformation with Jake. Since I posted about going without the lead walking him next door and then turning on the collar. he just kept getting better. I still don't know what he'd do on the road with cars passing, but he was doing so well that I stopped using the invisible fence collar and put one one that I could manually control the sound, vibration and correction signals.
    I had to use the alarm sound a couple times and then he just listened to what I asked. I quickly stopped putting that collar on him also. He just listens. I cut a path between out two houses, removing a few small trees and opening up a stone wall built decades (maybe a century) ago so there's an easy way to get the dogs together. They have so much fun together and he totally listens. When it's time to go, I just say "Let's go" and he knows it's time. Sometimes it's with one of Sugar's toys that I throw back later, but he follows me.

The $200 I spent for an online course that I've only gone thru half way seems to have been more than worth it. He's in serious competition with my Golden, T Bear, as the best dog I ever had and that's saying a lot considering where he started from.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    Yeah, I get that totally. I was real apprehensive in attempting it, particularly since my friend didn't want to handle it and he was the most talented guy I've ever known. I had so many areas that needed repair that I was feeling pretty confident by the time I was finished.

The one big one that's still outstanding is in the master bedroom where the tape between the wall and ceiling didn't hold up. It's a 17 foot stretch that I wan't looking forward to. My gf has so much stuffed into that room that it has to be worked on in good weather where some stuff can be moved outside to even get to it.

I might not live that long.
    Good luck with that one. The ceiling fan I put in the master bedroom has these plastic cages that go over the bulbs so you have to have a certain size bulb to fit them. My wife went to the store three times and every time came back with bulbs that wouldn't let the cages slide over. I went once and got some that fit but she complained they were too bright so she returned them and got the wrong ones. I had to go back with her to get the right ones. So it took five visits to the hardware store just to get the right bulbs. Now she is trying to pick a new vanity light. This bathroom project is moving at a snail's pace. I'm honestly sick of it and just want it finished. She's been trying to pick colors for the vanity and walls for two months. I'm about ready to just go get some paint and do it myself.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    I forgot to mention the transformation with Jake. Since I posted about going without the lead walking him next door and then turning on the collar. he just kept getting better. I still don't know what he'd do on the road with cars passing, but he was doing so well that I stopped using the invisible fence collar and put one one that I could manually control the sound, vibration and correction signals.
    I had to use the alarm sound a couple times and then he just listened to what I asked. I quickly stopped putting that collar on him also. He just listens. I cut a path between out two houses, removing a few small trees and opening up a stone wall built decades (maybe a century) ago so there's an easy way to get the dogs together. They have so much fun together and he totally listens. When it's time to go, I just say "Let's go" and he knows it's time. Sometimes it's with one of Sugar's toys that I throw back later, but he follows me.

The $200 I spent for an online course that I've only gone thru half way seems to have been more than worth it. He's in serious competition with my Golden, T Bear, as the best dog I ever had and that's saying a lot considering where he started from.
    That's awesome! I'm glad it's going so well. The wife and I were talking the other day and I didn't realize that our dog is going to be 11 already this year. I don't know how long shiba inu live but I can't imagine not having her around. I kind of doubt we will get another pet for a while after she is gone. She doesn't do well at the kennel so we've put off different trips because one of us needs to stay home with her. That and money was a little tight until we just recently got the youngest daughter off the payroll since she decided to stop going to college and work for a while.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    Yeah, I hear you on how dogs/animals can limit your mobility. For me, at this stage, I am totally satisfied with not going anywhere. My gf got her real ID so she can fly since her son is in Idaho. I get my vacation when she goes to Idaho. lol

I hate all the different type bulbs and what you need to fit them in. With Vine, I've been picking up smart bulbs and switches so all I need to do is tell Alexa or Google to turn them on or off or dim them to a comfortable level. I even got a motion sensor work light over my workbench in the garage so if I go in there from the garage door, I automatically have light and if that's not enough, just tell google to turn on the garage lights.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2009
    Green Lane, Pa
    AND, what happened to Waho? There's not been a sight or sound from him, I;m guessing for over a year. I heard today GM is offering and highly recommending salaried employees buyouts to increase their profitability. I guess those high priced Chinese EV batteries require reducing their white collar overhead.

"Highly recommending" when I used to work meant, do what we want or you'll do what we say. That should influence many to take the offer for fear of the alternative.

hittman

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Contest Winner!
  • Jul 13, 2009
    AND, what happened to Waho? There's not been a sight or sound from him, I;m guessing for over a year. I heard today GM is offering and highly recommending salaried employees buyouts to increase their profitability. I guess those high priced Chinese EV batteries require reducing their white collar overhead.

"Highly recommending" when I used to work meant, do what we want or you'll do what we say. That should influence many to take the offer for fear of the alternative.
    I read an article about that yesterday. It basically said that they are not producing many if at all of the less expensive vehicles and plan on transitioning to EV by 2035. I think that's going to bite them in the ..... I have to believe that their are a lot of people out there like me that don't want an EV and have no intentions of buying one. As far as the buy out goes, I had a guy that worked at my company years ago that took a similar buyout. It was a mistake. Yes he got a chunk of money but struggled finding a job that paid as well as his GM job. I don't know where he wound up at but he was not a model employee for us.

Users who are viewing this thread