Status
Not open for further replies.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
I really don't get it. Why do people feel the need to be able to produce their own personal fog bank at will? I enjoy blowing a decent cigarette smoke sized cloud, but I've never felt the need to don the superhero cape and become..."Fog Man!"

I could understand it if you got more flavor, but I can build a setup that practically drains ejuice out the side of my mouth when I take a hit...and doesn't require a fan to find the building exits. I hear about some of these guys going through 20-30 ml a day.
:ohmy:

Is it a vaping subculture thing? Is it to impress other vapors? Did they take massive drags on the old coffin nails that turned half the cig into ash on one puff?
I just don't get it.
:confused:

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
It seems to me that it's a competition between vapers. Who can blow the biggest cloud? I don't get it either. At VapeBash, I ran into a guy that used to work at a local vape shop and his buddies. They were wearing tshirts that said cloud chasers, so I guess they have a "club" now. Maybe it's required if you are in your 20s?

Dusif

ECF Veteran
May 21, 2013
Denmark
Its alot of stuff that makes it interesting... Obviously its funny to be FOG MAN!... But...
The nicotine feels alot different
The taste is more intense
The feel in your lungs is really good
And finally its an art to master the perfect cloud chasing setup that is both nice to vape, warm and tasty while producing one hell of a fog bank...

Either you like it or you dont and if you dont have a need to try it dont think about it

Vamo vivi/protank
Kts+ igo-w 0,7

UncleChuck

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
Portland
Why do people feel the need to be able to produce their own personal fog bank at will?

There are some who do it for competition, which doesn't really interest me, but I don't see anything wrong with it. People turn pretty much every single thing imaginable into a competition so I don't see why vaping would be immune to that.

There are also plenty of people who are chasing big clouds because big clouds have the potential for more comfortably consumed nicotine, and more flavor. To get a certain amount of nicotine you can either have potent vapor, or more diluted vapor in larger quantities. For me personally, small quantities of highly potent vapor, like you would get with "standard" builds and high-nic juice, are uncomfortable on the lungs and throat compared to massive quantities of diluted vapor, like you get with low nic juice and high power builds.

Last edited:

happydave

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 2, 2013
United States
i really like a single sub ohm coil. sub ohm duel coils is a bit much for me. that said a single sub ohm coil with the right setup and a fresh battery can put out a TON of vapor.

i remember when i first started doing it. i was at a stop light and i let a big cloud roll out my car window and into the middle of an intersection it was not that windy so the cloud really stuck together and people SLOWED DOWN as they approached the cloud... needless to say i don't hit my sub ohm single coil dripper out in pubic anymore.

PLANofMAN

Signature Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Woodburn, OR
...There are also plenty of people who are chasing big clouds because big clouds have the potential for more comfortably consumed nicotine, and more flavor. To get a certain amount of nicotine you can either have potent vapor, or more diluted vapor in larger quantities. For me personally, small quantities of highly potent vapor, like you would get with "standard" builds and high-nic juice, are uncomfortable on the lungs and throat compared to massive quantities of diluted vapor, like you get with low nic juice and high power builds.
That makes sense.

KAI789

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 7, 2014
Murfreesboro, TN
I'm not to big on the competition scene, but I go anywhere between .45 to .6 ohms, just because for me, that provides the best flavor, along with lung "fullness," and at that range, I'm also not dripping constantly. Just for me, I've never personally participated in a cloud competition, never saw any need to do so. But I've never cloud chased in public, that's more for lounging at home lol

SingedVapor

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2014
Valdosta, Georgia, United States
I like to blow big clouds, but not in public. I prefere to do it at night, when I'm relaxing in my room after a long day at work. I usually like to build a .6 on my igo-L. Then I love it up with my chocolate ejuice and make big chocolaty clouds. It's fun. Albeit it can certaintly blow through juice, it's more fun for me. It's also relaxing in a sense. Though to be honest I can see how the competitions arose. Anytime you have anything that you build yourself or can customize someone will think of turning it into it a competition. Such as the contests for the biggest car sub woofer systems :D To each there own. Whatever makes vaping fun for you, keep doing it. Cause the more fun vaping is the less likely you will turn back to cigarettes :D

Sent from my iPhone because I'm awesome like that.

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
I really don't get it. Why do people feel the need to be able to produce their own personal fog bank at will? I enjoy blowing a decent cigarette smoke sized cloud, but I've never felt the need to don the superhero cape and become..."Fog Man!"

I could understand it if you got more flavor, but I can build a setup that practically drains ejuice out the side of my mouth when I take a hit...and doesn't require a fan to find the building exits. I hear about some of these guys going through 20-30 ml a day.

Is it a vaping subculture thing? Is it to impress other vapors? Did they take massive drags on the old coffin nails that turned half the cig into ash on one puff?
I just don't get it.

It seems we low wattage vapers are being forgotten. Most of the new DNA chips seem to be pushing the wattage up at the sacrifice of the low wattage settings. There is only new chip I would even be interested in being placed in a new device.

2014 Newest High Power YiHi SX350 30W Buck-Bost&Boost Single Battery DC-DC Subohm 0.2 to 3.0 ohm 5W to 30W 1.5V to 9.5V dna30, View dna30, Yihiecigar Product Details from Dongguan Yihai Electronic Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

Cool-breeze

ECF Veteran
Nov 24, 2013
Upstate sc
I didn't get it either for awhile. Sitting on my lunch break at work with my provari and a single coil rda with 2.0 build and a coworker comes out with a mech doing sub and let out a monster cloud. Suddenly I had a little cloud envy. I now have a mech with dual coils at .8. My provari is still my go too but I can understand the cloud chasing a bit better. There's a certain sense of satisfaction when your 8ft away from a 46" TV and can't see it. My wife would disagree but I digress...

Rocketpunk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 14, 2012
Dayton, Ohio
It's just "extreme" vaping. Proponents say it's helping to push the limits of the technology and aid in innovations within the industry. I can accept that part. Other than that, it's simply whether they find enjoyment in cloud chasing. I, personally, find it to be a sign of immature behavior, but that's only my opinion and I will never be one to tell someone they can't do what they want to do. If you want to chase clouds, chase clouds, man. But it is a symptom of youth. Not all cloud chasers are young, but it's a safe bet to say the majority are young men in their 20's.

Last edited:

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
Does the OP really want to understand cloud chasing, or was the post more rhetorical than anything?

Why do some people like loud music? Why do some people climb mountains? Why do some people go scuba diving? Why do some people go skydiving?

People like taking things to the extreme.....some people do it for the thrill, while others do it just to progress into uncharted territories. Afterall, we are ALL explorers by nature. We are humans.

For me, RBAs and RDAs are like an art form. There are over a dozen factors involved in producing the vapor/flavor that YOU desire, and many of us have an intense interest in the art of producing the specific flavor/vapor we desire.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
It's the same mindset that made hot rodders build cars to get their 1/4 mile ET down to the 10s and 9s. It's the "watch this" burning rubber syndrome. Someone discovered that bleach on the asphalt would increase the vapor way back then.

12954667784d37411aae71b.jpg

EddardinWinter

The Philosopher Who Rides
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2012
Richmond, Va

I just don't get it.

I sub-ohm to get an amazing, thick, rich vape. I don't do it to impress anyone. I tried it because I wanted to see what all the fuss was about. I don't do it all the time, in fact, it is probably less than 20% of my vaping. But there is a unique flavor with a 25+ watt vape. When you get the right set up with the right atty...it is quite an experience.

Have you tried it with a very nice, high airflow, RDA? I bet if you do, you will see why some of us do it.

Go get you a nice Helios clone and give it a whirl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread