The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

When it came really down to it, would your pet defend you?

Discussion in 'Loving and Caring for K9's and Felines and/or Othe' started by jj2, Aug 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Pamdane

Pamdane Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Cleveland area, Ohio
    Absolutely. I've had my dogs turn sideways between myself and strangers when taking them for walks. I had one charge a door when someone rattled the handle at a motel.
    Mind you, these are show dogs, trained to accept strangers to do every thing from open their mouths to see teeth, to fondling nether parts to verify they arent neutered.
    On the other hand, who would be dumb enough to KNOWINGLY take on a pack of Great Danes?

Its funny, when hubby and I play with our children, and things get rough and tumble on the floor, the dogs will get in between us, barking and trying to stop the play.

2. Survivors Mom

Survivors Mom Super Member ECF Veteran

Sep 24, 2011
    Texas
    7 critters... 2 Staffordshire Terriers (Pit Bulls), 1 American Pit Bull Terrier/Greyhound mix, 1 Yorkie/Rat Terrier mix, 1 Jack Russell Terrier/Chihuahua mix, 1 some kind of Terrier mixed with something else, and 1 Manx cat.

Of the seven, I know the cat allows NOTHING on his property... period. So probably for him. The JRT is the most likely dog to protect and POSSIBLY one of the pibbles. The rest I think would just be noisy and/or hide.

Thank goodness I can't positively answer the question! But I can say with 6 Terriers and a cat, no wild critter stands a chance! :)

When I had Rotties, I'm pretty sure anyone could have taken what they wanted for a simple pat on the head.

3. Fudgey

Fudgey Chocolate Diva Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Feb 22, 2010
    Oklahoma
    DH and I are watching my nieces 2 dogs, a dachshund and a Yorkie/Poodle mix. They have only been here for a couple of weeks but I think the dachshund would try his hardest to protect me. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.