Which battery charger to use??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mainard462

Aug 13, 2015
Dallas Texas
There appears to be a lot of options for battery chargers.

I'm new to vaping. Bout a month in so far. I'm interested in moving into sub-ohm. Decided on getting the kangertech subox kit. Going to start with 1.2 ohm coils for now and work my way down eventually. I'll be using the Samsung 18650 25R 2500mah batteries (qty 2). Which charger should I be using?? Will any charger work? I'd like to get a 2 bay charger for right now. I'm reading about efest LUC chargers... efest BIO chargers... Nitecore Digicharger or Intellicharger?? I'm not entirely sure what these mean? I'd like to know which would be best for the type of batteries I'm using.

Thanks in advance!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
My general advice: buy a brand name charger for Li-Ion/IMR batteries.

Get the best charger that you can reasonably afford from a reputable e-cig vendor (RTD Vapor, Illumn, Orbtronics). Statistically most battery incidents occur while batteries are charging. A higher end charger will have better built-in protections. Some will have built-in voltage meters which are pratical/useful, but not a necessity.

Pila, Xtar, Nitecore, and Efest are the most recommended brands. I recommend batteries be charged on a flame-resistant surface: stove top, marble countertop, metal baking pan, pyrex glass dish. Do not charge batteries if you are not physically present to keep an eye on them.

Many of today's higher-end box chargers have "intelligent" technology designed for the charger to shut down when the battery reaches full voltage (4.2 volts), however electronics can and do fail. Don't trust the safety of your home & family to a faulty electronic circuit or charging cord.

Rest batteries after charging
One commonly-reported factor in almost all the incidents we hear of where batteries failed violently while in use is that they were taken directly off the charger and then used immediately, at which point they failed.

Because of this, we think it may be a good idea to rest batteries after charging them. This advice will not be found in the usual 'reference bibles' on batteries, but we see more and different reports than others. Therefore we now advise:

Do not use batteries directly after charging them. Use a battery or batteries you previously charged, and that have rested for several hours. This is especially important if using a stacked pair for higher voltage, as statistically the risk is far higher.

Pila has had the reputation for making the best charger within the last few years, but hasn't updated their single model with today's popularly common features like real-time voltage meters. A charger with "intelligent charging" will allegedly be a safer charger, using special algorythms and not over-charging past 4.2 volts. Some of the higher end chargers can allegedly revive an over-discharged battery with special algorhythms. Some may not be able to charge 18350 size batteries without spacers, or be able to handle the size of a 26650 battery.
My personal experience: I purchased a Pila in 2012 when I bought my first mod. It lasted for about two years with heavy use; then one of the charging bays stopped working for no reason. By that time, I had nearly a dozen mods requiring batteries of different sizes, so I needed a new charger with at least four charging bays.

Second charger was an Xtar 6 bay charger. It was fine except that it used flimsy springs in the bays, and I couldn't keep 18350 batteries to stay in the charger without popping out. Overall I was disappointed in the design.

I next got a Nitecore Intellicharger i4 (four charging bays), which has been in heavy use for over a year now. It uses metal sliders to hold the batteries and charges batteries from 18350 to 18650.

Last edited:

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I have a Nitecore i2, an Opus bt-c3100, and an Xtar vc4. The Opus is most likely overkill for you. I've been happy with the Nitecore, and I'm sure the d-series is good as well, but they tend to be a bit slow when charging multiple batteries. The Xtar vtc series is reasonably priced and they're great chargers. I'd recommend the vtc4 as it can charge faster than the vtc2, when charging 1-2 batteries. Note that you'll need to get a separate usb wall wart, and if you want to make the most of the vtc4 you need a wall wart that has an output of 2 amps minimum.

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Baditude

supermarket

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 2, 2010
Near Atlanta, Georgia, US of A
Any 18650 battery charger will work, but keep in mind, as a vaper, you will be using your charger nearly every day, if not every day! That is a LOT of usage. My first battery charger I got about 1.5 years ago, its a cheap $10 UltraFire charger. I think it started to crap out on me, either that or my 18650 batteries are crapping out after al of the usage I've put them through.

As of today, I just bought the NiteCore Digicharger D2. Everyone says the NiteCore is a good brand, and it has a digital readout, which I really like. It was only $25 from the B&M vape shop, and you can get it online for $20.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread