Not open for further replies.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
@NicotineRush,
If you haven't already seen this thread, it (and its two predecessor thereads) are kind of the god-father of UC discussions. You might find "best practice" ideas there.

I should probably also disclose that I am not a UC proponent; I am not opposed to those who wish to use them... they just never demonstrated a noticeable benefit to me. I ruined several batches; but never reaped any successes. However, I think the type of recipe (fruit, tobacco, custard, bakery, etc.) has a lot to do with it as well.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Thanks. Yes I've read those threads but it was a while ago. They've gotten so big that it's difficult to find the answer to a specific question without going through thousands of posts. Figured I'd ask here first.
Totally understand; no criticism intended (or implied).:D I wish you all the best getting the results you seek!:thumbs:

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
Well, it was 4am and I wasn't in the mood to reread those threads! :) Now that I'm awake, I've been rereading and for the most part, and just in general terms, about 160 minutes equals 3 weeks time. YMMV. Since I only vape tobaccos, I'm going to up that time to about 200 minutes. Assuming that this works, and I have no doubt that it will since so many in those threads have had very positive results, this is a huge benefit over waiting.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
@NicotineRush, if you have a "go-to" tobacco recipe that you like, and are quite familiar with, it would be interesting to do a side-by-side. Mix up a batch of your standard recipe and then tuck it away for three weeks. Then, the day before it reaches maturity, mix up a second identical (size, recipe, and ingredients) and give it your UC treatment (200 minutes?). Compare the two; are they the same? If not how are they different, which is better, why? I don't think I have ever seen this done, or at least posted. I would be genuinely interested in your results.:)

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
Joel, I'm really new to DIY. Vaping my first 'flavored' as we speak. (been vaping a DIY unflavored for a couple of weeks now) The flavored is a simple Virginia Flue Cured HS at 4%, 50/50 pg/vg, 6mg nic, and it had already steeped passively for 2 1/2 weeks when I received my UC. Ran it in the UC for about 80 minutes and gave it a try. Can't put it down although it does seem just a tiny bit harsh. 4% might have been a bit much.

It might be a while before I'm knowledgeable enough to make/do the comparisons.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
Joel, I'm really new to DIY. Vaping my first 'flavored' as we speak.
My complete respect for being new to DIY. I have been 100% DIY for over 2 years now; and I STILL feel like I know nothing!
(been vaping a DIY unflavored for a couple of weeks now)
Unflavored now makes up about 70% of my DIY consumption. Tobacco flavors (concentrates only so far; still too intimidated to enter the world of NETs) have only become a recent interest to me.
The flavored is a simple Virginia Flue Cured HS at 4%, 50/50 pg/vg, 6mg nic, and it had already steeped passively for 2 1/2 weeks when I received my UC. Ran it in the UC for about 80 minutes and gave it a try. Can't put it down although it does seem just a tiny bit harsh. 4% might have been a bit much.
I would suggest first getting "comfortable" with a mix (whatever it is) however you choose. UC, or regular shelf time, shouldn't really matter. The purpose is just to be able to pick up a vape and think "Yep; that's <blank> at <blank>%." Then run the comparison test I suggested. The only reason for using a "known" mix, is it removes all the "this should be higher/lower/needs more..." thoughts running through your head, at the same time you are trying to decide "is this/how is this... different?".

And, as a side thought, I don't think I would put a lot of stock in the results of UC treating 2½ week-old liquid. I have zero science to support it, but my personal experience has demonstrated that aging ("steeping") is not linear, but more of an instance of diminishing returns. The greatest changes happen earliest on. Of course, I think there may be a wide latitude of behavior/results depending on specific recipes and ingredients. The only thing I know without a doubt is I am NO expert!;):D

Necrospecter

Dulce de Leche to rule them all
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2017
Fort Worth Texas
www.forsakengamingnation.com
For supposedly being inexpensive, this DIY stuff is adding up!

The buy into anything good is always expensive, they always get you with you'll save thousands just have to spend hundreds up front. But don't forget to factor in the fun :D I looked at getting a UC but I passed and to be honest I am happy I did I have so much juice made up that I need to buy new tanks to use it with it helps a lot with the cure times. Now don't get me wrong I am not bagging on you for doing it I and wanting to watch your journey with this and well maybe someday I will end up buying one. At any rate Good Luck Hippy :D

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
they always get you with you'll save thousands just have to spend hundreds up front.
That's what gets me about all the "Big Tobacco" pod-style vapes that are being advertised on television these days: We'll sell you this wonderful starter kit for ONLY $29!" But what they are not saying is "And it will only cost you $5.95 a day, to buy replacement pods!" That was what I was spending on cigarettes when I quit!:-x
My DIY vape habit only costs me $3.00 A MONTH as long as I can resist the urge to buy more/new flavor concentrates, and gear.:facepalm:

NicotineRush

Linux Mint/Mate
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2008
Living 'Off Grid'
Buzzzzzzzzz

UCBuzz.jpg

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've never used my UC to speed steeping since I'm usually way ahead of the usage curve when I DIY more juices. I just shake and wait until it's needed. My UC is one of those low wattage jewelry cleaners.

UC is great for cleaning the machine oil out of new atomizers. A little dish soap and some 91% alcohol mixed into the water in the UC and a few minutes of cleaning gets it all out of the crevices.

I just ordered a couple of battery powered drink stirrer devices from Amazon to mix my juice thoroughly after the DIY bottles are filled.

ETA: Both the battery powered drink stirrers came in. Once you figure out which way the batteries go they both work fine. There's little to no documentation with them and the battery diagrams are molded into the battery slots and hard to read.

Last edited:

lupinehorror

bròn
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 11, 2017
Dunblane
I've wanted one of these for a long time, for dual usage (cleaning an steeping) but I just can't justify the price quite yet. Sigh.

Anna
me too...a want but not a need though. i'll find a way of justifying it at some point ;)

Necrospecter

Dulce de Leche to rule them all
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 17, 2017
Fort Worth Texas
www.forsakengamingnation.com
I've wanted one of these for a long time, for dual usage (cleaning an steeping) but I just can't justify the price quite yet. Sigh.

Anna

how about it will make me happy, and being happy in life is one of the goals right?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
It is, but other things make me happy too, like food and paying the electricity bill, LOL. I will get one eventually (probably) but right now most of my income is going towards oral surgery, and I STILL am having issues with my stupid jaw. The oral surgeon said it was leftover swelling, and told me to use a heating pad.

It's not leftover, the swelling that was there is the same, and now I have a giant lump under my ear which I'm going to assume is leftover rot, but I'm not even quite sure how Oral Surgeon is going to handle this one.... It's literally right next to my carotid. I may wind up in the hospital over this one, sigh and will be calling later this a.m.

But yes, I shall also buy an ultrasonic cleaner at some point. Hell, I could use it to sterilize my dentures, and I even broke down and bought a water pic a few months ago. That sucker's not cheap, but it's good cleansing practice, so I was told by the periodontist....

Anna

Reactions: Letitia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread