Why anything other than Sony vtc4 18650 batteries?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
Hey muchachos y senoritas this isn't a "love what I own, hate what you own" thread, and certainly isn't a "lecture Patrick on battery safety thread. (although more than happy to be informed on the non-obvious :D). Anyway I'm a die-hard sony vtc4 2100mah 30amp fan, They are the absolute best by a stones throw in my opinion, I found this out when I switched from an mnke (my prior favorite after trying a handful of "budget" batteries), and "spent the extra money" :roll eyes: which was a whopping 5 extra bucks at my local vape shoppe, after I popped that bad girl in I immediately noticed that high quality U.S. Made (yes Sony makes the batteries here) electricity flow through my coils, and for the rest of that day and the day after. It's the only battery that actual performs as advertised :ohmy:, and actually exceeded my expectations with great, precise consistency, and for $10.99
Genuine Sony VTC4 18650 30 Amp 2100mAh Flat Top Battery | eBay
I really think you'd have a bolt loose to use anything else especially after all the good reviews confirming it's good stats. They even outperform stacked 18350's (I can feel you battery-safety'philes just breathing on my neck itching to spread spread your knowledge but again don't I know it's not safe, so I don't) because most people dont use near 30 amps at least I don't, and I get
much better life with one affordable flawless battery. So I don't get why I see the relentless experts on batteries making sure proven, well read vapers know not to melt their epidermis in tantamount to those who don't want to pay for the most expensive one, I mean it's less than most eliquid bottles out there.

*again I'm not hating on your favorite battery after all YYmV, but I don't see how sony hasn't monopolized the vaping battery market yet, because maybe once they are all sony we can stack batteries as safely as plugging your phone in :p (not that I really want to stack anyways). So what are ECF's thoughts? Feel free to disagree this isn't a hate thread by far, just confused that there's a lot of obvious qualitative data in the topic, and not as many expected fans, then again more for me! :)

-BY THE WAY my 16650 mech.moc is making it's way here on the fastest throughbred snail usps owns lol, so what 16650 would y'all recommend? I looked for another sony to no avail, but did find an mnke which are decent as I said above but don't give you what they advertise in my experience.
View attachment 321135

*EDIT: To clear things up, I'm NOT saying that "my battery is better than yours", I'm merely trying to have a discussion about why I should possibly buy a different battery than the vtc4. I've had a great experience with; AW, Efest, Panasonic, and MNKE (kinda with ultrafire, meh), my aim is to politely give my opinion on what's most efficient/higher quality, and take suggestions on batteries that I may have missed. One love :toast:

Last edited:

Hypatia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Titletown, USA
I'd LOVE to be able to use the Sonys in all of my devices. However, my Reos require button top batteries, and as Sonys are flat, I must go with the next best (albeit still a fantastic battery): the 18650 AW IMR 1600mah (15C = 24A). Of course, I could void my warranty and easily modify the Reo to work more consistently with a flat top, but I'm happy where I'm at, so I'll keep the Sonys for the tube mechs. :2c:, Ymmv, etc.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
What's your source for the vtc4s being made in the US? According to all information I've found all Sony batteries are made in Japan. The vtc4s are one of my favourite batteries (though the vtc5s may take the top position when I get my hands on some). However, due to their higher mAh-rating I do prefer Panasonic PDs in regulated mods where massive maximum discharge rating or the lowest internal resistance isn't needed. Also, the Samsung ncr18650-20r has more of its juice in the higher volts than the Sony, even though it has a higher internal resistance. "Best" very much depends on your needs. For low sub-ohms the vtc4/vtc5 is the best, on a mech with a higher ohm coil the Samsung 20r might be better, and on a regulated mod the Panasonic PD might take the price.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

beckdg

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 1, 2013
TN
two things;
Because there are Sony 18650VCT5's 2600 mah.

1) damnit, jimi beat me to it, and;
2) no matter where the battery is made, the electricity i put into it is made in the good ole' US of A unless the EPA has banned that here too and somehow A/C current to my house is outsourced. :blink: it's possible, right?

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
two things;

1) damnit, jimi beat me to it, and;
2) no matter where the battery is made, the electricity i put into it is made in the good ole' US of A unless the EPA has banned that here too and somehow A/C current to my house is outsourced. :blink: it's possible, right?

I wouldn't give em any ideas.

Reactions: B.S.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
I'd LOVE to be able to use the Sonys in all of my devices. However, my Reos require button top batteries, and as Sonys are flat, I must go with the next best (albeit still a fantastic battery): the 18650 AW IMR 1600mah (15C = 24A). Of course, I could void my warranty and easily modify the Reo to work more consistently with a flat top, but I'm happy where I'm at, so I'll keep the Sonys for the tube mechs. :2c:, Ymmv, etc.

The AW IMR really is fantastic, and no don't destroy your Reo! It's not worth it, batteries can be replaced, Reo's can't :p. I think once I get bored with my big nasty, they bottom feeder reo is on it's way :).

Don't quote me on this, but I think the vtc4 also comes with a button top, I'm not that experienced with flattops/button tops as I've only had the kind where the button is on the + side, but my Sony's have that one button. *Edit: apparently I'm extremely lucky as Alaska has a huge stock of button tops but they are rare now, sorry, you can pre-order them here if your willing to wait, sony's don't blow the others out of the water in fact I don't think I'd wait for one even :p*
https://kahunavapor.com/sony-vtc4-18650-mah-LiMN-30-amp-battery

Wickeddeuce

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2013
JBLM
not to be quoted on this but i believe that when the sub kits come out, they will be able to handle flat top batteries... im not 100% on this... but they might... and if they will... looks like more sonys to be had... to share with aw's, probably an extra pair of the sony vtc5 (got one pair on the way already) need to get a spare sony 26650 50 amp batt though...

(current batteries) 2 sony vtc4s, 3 aw imr 18650 1600s, 2 panasonic 18650 pfs, 2 sony vtc5s on the way, and one sony 26650, id say if the reo will handle flat and button top with the sub kit... that ill need 3 batts another pair of sony vtc5s, and a sony 26650 (these things last FOREVER)

schuff

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2013
Dickson, TN
I choose MNKE over Sony in both my 18650 and 26650 mechanicals. I generally stay between 0.4 - 0.9 ohms on all of my devices. The sony batts have about .2 less voltage drop but deteriorate faster and only stay between 4.2v - 3.6v 1/2 the time the MNKE's do.

After 4 months my VTC4's I was so excited for last about 2 hours on a 0.4 ohm build before being drained to 3.6v. My year old abused MNKE isn't drained to 3.6v for a good 5-6 hours.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
What's your source for the vtc4s being made in the US? According to all information I've found all Sony batteries are made in Japan. The vtc4s are one of my favourite batteries (though the vtc5s may take the top position when I get my hands on some). However, due to their higher mAh-rating I do prefer Panasonic PDs in regulated mods where massive maximum discharge rating or the lowest internal resistance isn't needed. Also, the Samsung ncr18650-20r has more of its juice in the higher volts than the Sony, even though it has a higher internal resistance. "Best" very much depends on your needs. For low sub-ohms the vtc4/vtc5 is the best, on a mech with a higher ohm coil the Samsung 20r might be better, and on a regulated mod the Panasonic PD might take the price.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

True, true, and true. Sorry I mis-researched the vtc4's (&5's) ARE made in japan, but they still pass the U.S.'s standards tests by N.E.M.A. To be honest I trust japan with electronics more than I do the U.S. sometimes but I know our regulations are pretty fool-proof and can actively punish any sketchy manufacturers (not that sony is sketchy anyway). And believe me I'll be buying a handful of vtc5's as soon as I need more batteries, and I would've bought them sooner but I hate waiting for vapemail, especially in Alaska where shipping is 2 weeks first class minimum, so I tend to buy whatever my shops have for me (which isn't vtc5's yet), besides the vtc5's don't look ridiculously better, I charge them every night anyway so I wouldn't notice any difference I bet.

*Besides do you need the absolute highest discharge rating? I mean for a coil to need a 20 amp output you could wrap a .3ohm coil and apply 120 watts but that's pretty intense. I think I may check out that panasonic, I've yet to try that one though :D

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
Because there are Sony 18650VCT5's 2600 mah.

believe me I'll be buying a handful of vtc5's as soon as I need more batteries (I have 16 :facepalm: I'm addicted to lithium lol), and I would've bought them sooner but I hate waiting for vapemail, especially in Alaska where shipping is 2 weeks first class minimum, so I tend to buy whatever my shops have for me (which isn't vtc5's yet), besides the vtc5's don't look ridiculously better, I charge them every night anyway so I wouldn't notice any difference I bet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread