Why anything other than Sony vtc4 18650 batteries?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
not to be quoted on this but i believe that when the sub kits come out, they will be able to handle flat top batteries... im not 100% on this... but they might... and if they will... looks like more sonys to be had... to share with aw's, probably an extra pair of the sony vtc5 (got one pair on the way already) need to get a spare sony 26650 50 amp batt though...

(current batteries) 2 sony vtc4s, 3 aw imr 18650 1600s, 2 panasonic 18650 pfs, 2 sony vtc5s on the way, and one sony 26650, id say if the reo will handle flat and button top with the sub kit... that ill need 3 batts another pair of sony vtc5s, and a sony 26650 (these things last FOREVER)

Good to hear because I have 2 coming on the way for my big nasty :p, thanks for the input, now I just need to find an rda that's big enough to look right on it!

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
Hmmm, was hoping that shoot out would have been between the Sony VTCs and the new eFest purples not the old reds. That would be interesting.
Efest 1600mAh 30A vs Sony VTC4 2100mAh 30A - YouTube This guy did one, they are nearly neck and neck with the vtc4 just barely ahead by an average of about .2 volts. Pretty identical, but this isn't really that thorough of a test, you need watt/time curves to really get an idea.
-Then again, there is a reason why sony is so successful :p jk

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Efest 1600mAh 30A vs Sony VTC4 2100mAh 30A - YouTube This guy did one, they are nearly neck and neck with the vtc4 just barely ahead by an average of about .2 volts. Pretty identical, but this isn't really that thorough of a test, you need watt/time curves to really get an idea.
-Then again, there is a reason why sony is so successful :p jk

My favorite test is to measure voltage after vaiping a measured quantity of e-liq. Results are quite repeatable and relevant. I like voltage drop tests also.

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
Are the ones on fastech legit? 2 for $10.58, what a steal! Just ordered a pair. Anyone know of it's quality. The description says 18650 Li-ion, 30 amp...

Probably. My FT VTC4 got returned to sender and I got refunded december 2013. I did manage to get FT VTC3 before HKP fiasco. I believe the VTC3 are real, they perform well driving supra ohm toppers; 20R and VTC4 beats VTC3 sub-ohm and supra-ohm. I won't look to buy VTC3 again even though they are decent. BTW I have 2 FT 20R on the way; looks like they already left Asia so maybe they will find my mail box.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
they are nearly neck and neck with the vtc4 just barely ahead by an average of about .2 volts. Pretty identical

IMO a 0.2 volt difference can be pretty significant to your vape time per charge depending on where it happens and at what load. When comparing good batteries in the same class with each other you generally don't get more difference than that.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
The VTC5 renders this question moot, but prior to the VTC5 this was a, if not The, reason:

507-vs%20Sony%20VTC4.jpg

For 20A applications and below the LG HE2 performed as well or better.

dr g

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 12, 2012
Paradise
That's interesting, they list the LG HE2 as Li-poly?

Have you seen any data on the VTC5 yet?

I'm not sure I understand why the batteries are called lipoly there, but as far as I can tell those are actual test curves. Could be the device won't test at 20A without setting to li-poly.
I have seen some VTC5 curves from a China supplier. They appear to be better than the VTC4s across the board, and a touch better than the LG HE2 at 10A and increasing as you go up. Very close at 10A and under.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I have seen some VTC5 curves from a China supplier. They appear to be better than the VTC4s across the board, and a touch better than the LG HE2 at 10A and increasing as you go up. Very close at 10A and under.

Thanks for the feedback dr g. That's pretty much what I was expecting :thumb:

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
I purchased 2 vtc4s from my B&M.. After first charge I noticed what looked like liquid under the green sleeve, I called and asked about it. They said it was adhesive and not to worry.. The battery works fine, no heating. Anyone else seen this?

Yes we have seen this. Ryedan even took some pics. Common.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread