Status
Not open for further replies.

Pappy

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2012
Dallas, Tx
It continues to amaze me how cheap people are about buying PV's, cartos, tanks, juice, etc. I understand that, when starting out, people are confused and don't want to buy the "wrong" kit. (I was the same way.) But some people seem to suffer from paralysis by analysis and research for weeks or even months to avoid "wasting" money on the "wrong" kit. Meanwhile, how much are they spending on cigarettes?

So many people seem to be obsessed with getting the absolute cheapest price, and will go buy overpriced cigarettes (at $6 a pack or whatever) while they wait for an internet order, just to avoid paying an extra few bucks to source juice or accessories locally.

I don't get it. Most of us wasted thousands of $$ on cigarettes in our lifetimes. (I don't even want to think how much my cigarette bill was.) Why do we fret and worry so much about plunking down $50 for a starter KGO or EGO kit just because it MIGHT not be the PV we ultimately take to our grave?

supergerbil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2012
Elk Grove, CA
Well.....

Some people are poor and have to make sure that they make every cent count.

Some people have long ship times due to geographic location and dont want to wait 2 weeks for gear that they will not like and then have to order something else causing them to wait another 2 weeks.

Some people, for whatever reason, have to have the CORRECT/BEST/MOST TRENDY gear.

Some people are looking for an excuse to put off quitting for just a few more days.

And some people are just dumb. I fall into this category. :) I was agonizing for days trying to decide if I wanted a DCT or Vivinova.... then I realized I could just buy both and figure it out on my own.

erictho

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
Edmonton
i'm not really scared of spending money on vaping supplies. i spent $150 on vaping this month, but i also know i probably won't have to do that again until the beginning of august.
the thing that makes vaping more financially viable for me is that i don't need to frequently place orders. going back to the store for a $30 pouch of tobacco every 4-6 days was not good practice.
a few people i have introduced to vaping have also not really minded spending money on large orders. then again they wanted vaping to work for them, and i gave them a pretty comprehensive rundown of all the gear they were looking at. i also gave them a realistic timeframe where they could expect their gear/liquid supplies to last so they kind of knew what to expect.
i also know a few smokers who said they were interested in vaping, but spending money on gear seemed to be what turned them off the most. these were the people who said they wanted to quit altogether, but they're still paying $13 or $10 per pack. oh well i guess.

moishesmom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2012
west bloomfield
It continues to amaze me how cheap people are about buying PV's, cartos, tanks, juice, etc. I understand that, when starting out, people are confused and don't want to buy the "wrong" kit. (I was the same way.) But some people seem to suffer from paralysis by analysis and research for weeks or even months to avoid "wasting" money on the "wrong" kit. Meanwhile, how much are they spending on cigarettes?

So many people seem to be obsessed with getting the absolute cheapest price, and will go buy overpriced cigarettes (at $6 a pack or whatever) while they wait for an internet order, just to avoid paying an extra few bucks to source juice or accessories locally.

I don't get it. Most of us wasted thousands of $$ on cigarettes in our lifetimes. (I don't even want to think how much my cigarette bill was.) Why do we fret and worry so much about plunking down $50 for a starter KGO or EGO kit just because it MIGHT not be the PV we ultimately take to our grave?

Pappy....I totally understand what you're saying & I agree up to a certain point, however, I'm sooooo tired of spending money on the 'best clearos' & the 'greatest liquid'. So yes, now I've become very cheap - I'm now doing a lot of DIY & have found that resurrectors & my sub tank are the answer for me. Previous to vaping, I was also cheap by doing RYO cigs - not w/cig tobacco as they raised the taxes sky-high, but used pipe tobacco (same as cig, just a different cut). No - it doesn't make sense to spend months of research & keep buying cigs, but, to a lot of people it's not as painful to plunk down $6 as it is to come up with $100 or whatever the amt., not even thinking of the junk they're inhaling in the interim, they just know they can't afford it at the moment. We're in a bad economy right now, but the good thing is these people that are researching the ecig are looking for an alternative & that's good.....VAPE ON!

DancingHeretik

Dancing in the Chaos
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 20, 2011
San Antonio, TX
It's when someone is still smoking and spending all that money on cigarettes still. And, they don't know yet if vaping will work for them. Because, until they're sure, they're spending money on BOTH!

It's the initial expense of taking the risk. That's when it seems the most expensive.

Or, possibly spending many hundreds of dollars on things that just don't work, until you find what does work.

Baptyzmbyf1re

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2012
Omaha
I put my purchase off by months. Primarily because I was lucky enough to find this site and then became overloaded with information. I couldn't decide where to go and what to buy so I just kept smoking analogs. Yes, you said this, but I think it deserved to be stated again. If there was just one or two choices, people wouldn't blink an eye.

As for the second point about getting analogs over getting higher priced local juice - i think that is crazy personally. Maybe what people have locally is so bad (taste) they don't want to go anywhere near it. Or, they may not even realize they have something decent close. I'm just today finding out I can buy something locally. Shocked actually.

I agree though, that "wasting" money on say three packs of smokes is the same as buying a 10ml of juice and some carts t get you through a drought. I'd certainly choose an inferior juice to analogs.

I can see me getting a little particular about cost after a while. I went to vaping to save my life and I imagine after a few months, I'll be very picky about costs. Right now, its just a blessing that I am saving money as well as my body.

tinajfreeman

ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
I think people buy on the net because there is not enough good options locally...I live in Jacksonville, Florida, which has over 1 million people and not one non-manufacturer affiliated e-cig vendor to give good honest unbiased products and advice. Not to mention that a storefront is expensive compared to selling on-line.

NancyR

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2012
Washington State
Some of us don't have the money to spend to start with, so what little we do manage to scrap up needs to count.

As far as the not buying locally. That would be great if there is someplace local to buy. The only place I have found in my area with any type of juice is almost a 20 mile drive each way to pay over $7 for a small bottle of who knows what, that might be enough to last a day, and that is all i can get there unless i want to spend the $40 for the kit they carry because the only things they have other than the juice only fit that silly thing. For that same $7 I could go down to the corner market and buy 3 packs of analogs.

Also forgot to put in here, I asked my local smoke shop about carrying some e-juice even if it was a limited thing like reg and menthol. They won't do it because at the convention they where at a few weeks ago they where told the FDA will be banning everything but prefilled cartos

Last edited:

WCSR

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 26, 2012
Earth
I just figured it up... I've spent about $420 on vaping gear and supplies. Thus far, I've "saved" $242 by not buying analogs. I will break eaven if I don't buy anything else for 42 more days. That's not likely to happen. While I've got enough liquid supplies to last me for several months, I know there will be other flavors I will want to order, and other odds-n-ends. Saving money has never been my real concern...having a better quality of life is.

Xaiver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Clearwater, MN

Your premise is solid, but it got a bit off track.

Yes, people are cheap. When you spend 5 dollars a day on something, it doesn't seem like a big investment. How many smokers do you know that buy a carton or two at a time? I'd be willing to wager that the number of them under 40 is very low. Very low. What about other things? Do you like coffee from StarBucks? That's about the same price, and it doesn't seem so bad on a daily basis, but when you figure out that over 30 days, a coffee every day... 5x30... 150 dollars a month for coffee? Sure, that's not really a crazy amount, unless you also like a coffee at lunch too 5+5x30... 300 dollars a month for coffee? That's getting up in the area of what I pay for rent.

Newbies have a whole new challenge. The demand for these things is pretty low over-all. The ECF is a poor sample size for a real world check of interest. It'd be like going to an AA meeting and searching for former alcoholics. People tend to be on the fence about E-Cigs, they don't really want to quit their life-long habit, even though they know they should/need to. Many people have tried the patch/gum/etc, and failed, or relapsed. They remember the agony of quitting smoking, and probably aren't all that excited to go through it all over again.

Is 50$ for a starter kit a lot? No, not really. If you're making minimum wage though, that's more than a full day of work after you take taxes out.

Most people live to their income. They see a new car they want and set up financing for it, it's pretty typical for people to not have much savings because they've got their checks all thrown away on payments.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread