Why did you quit / cut down on smoking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jakeey

Jul 7, 2015
Hi guys, I'm Jake. I'm new to this forum and I'd just like to ask why you guys quit/cut down on smoking and started vaping?

Me: well first of all, I'm 24 years old, I've smoked since I was 15 (I was a "cool" kid) when I was about 19 I wanted to quit but I was too hooked on it I smoked atleast 20 ciggs per day or sometimes even more. In March last year I got a daughter ( she's 1 y/o now) and I was in the park, my girlfriend took a picture of me and my daughter, when I saw it all I coud look at was the ciggarette and how the .... I could even be close to my daughter and smoke a cigg at the same time. So after a week or so when I was at a store I saw an ego battery and I was like "I've seen some stuff of that online" so I bought it, it was about $50 with 20ml of e-liquid included, it was a 600mah battery, anyway I started puffing on that ego, haven't touched a cigg ever since 1 year and 4 months clean and proud of myself. :) someone care to share their story? I tend to find it interesting to read other peoples storys

Last edited:

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Welcome Jakeey!

I started smoking before *YOU* were born ;) I was in a bit of a "rebellious" state of mind, but I was mostly a closet-smoker because I didn't want certain people around me to "know" - yeah, right....

All the "cool" people around me smoked, so I thought I fit in. It was my "binky", my stress release, and boy, a cigarette sure tasted good with a beer (or 5 or 10.)

I've gotten older - my chest was heavy and gunky every morning. I snore voraciously. I would often wake myself up choking because I couldn't catch my breath. By 2013, both my parents had passed (neither necessarily from smoking-related issues) and I was watching my only Uncle wilt as he suffered from lung cancer. I'd tried cigalikes as far back as 2010 and 2011. Just didn't cut it for me. Never realized this forum was out here. If I had, I probably wouldn't have waited until March, 2014 to smoke my last cigarette. This coming Friday will mark 16 months smoke-free for me.

I found support and knowledge here. I don't know any one of you, but I feel like I've known you all forever. I decided I was spending "plenty" of money on vaping gear - I didn't need to be spending any more on cigarettes. So, about 5:00 p.m. on Monday, March 10, 2014 I smoked my last Camel Crush Blue. Haven't looked back, and I sure don't miss 'em.

Good luck to you - and take care of that precious little Martian ;)

Reactions: David Wolf

Jakeey

Jul 7, 2015
Welcome Jakeey!

I started smoking before *YOU* were born ;) I was in a bit of a "rebellious" state of mind, but I was mostly a closet-smoker because I didn't want certain people around me to "know" - yeah, right....

All the "cool" people around me smoked, so I thought I fit in. It was my "binky", my stress release, and boy, a cigarette sure tasted good with a beer (or 5 or 10.)

I've gotten older - my chest was heavy and gunky every morning. I snore voraciously. I would often wake myself up choking because I couldn't catch my breath. By 2013, both my parents had passed (neither necessarily from smoking-related issues) and I was watching my only Uncle wilt as he suffered from lung cancer. I'd tried cigalikes as far back as 2010 and 2011. Just didn't cut it for me. Never realized this forum was out here. If I had, I probably wouldn't have waited until March, 2014 to smoke my last cigarette. This coming Friday will mark 16 months smoke-free for me.

I found support and knowledge here. I don't know any one of you, but I feel like I've known you all forever. I decided I was spending "plenty" of money on vaping gear - I didn't need to be spending any more on cigarettes. So, about 5:00 p.m. on Monday, March 10, 2014 I smoked my last Camel Crush Blue. Haven't looked back, and I sure don't miss 'em.

Good luck to you - and take care of that precious little Martian ;)
Epic story, and yes, I will always take care of my little angel :)

KnowledgekidJag

Jul 7, 2015
My mom has COPD and she smoked often one for years. My uncle actually had throat cancer and died from it. I've been smoking off / on for year since I was 14 and step used to get me to light his cigs on the stove for him. So I would take a puff and give him his cig back. But around the age of 17 I got really into smoking black n milds and swisher sweets cigars. I kind of stop smoking when I seriously got into running last summer. But with the type of job I work everyone smokes around so it kind of hard to stop the habit you know that why I picked up ecig so much easier to deal with and less of the nasty smell.

Jakeey

Jul 7, 2015
My mom has COPD and she smoked often one for years. My uncle actually had throat cancer and died from it. I've been smoking off / on for year since I was 14 and step used to get me to light his cigs on the stove for him. So I would take a puff and give him his cig back. But around the age of 17 I got really into smoking black n milds and swisher sweets cigars. I kind of stop smoking when I seriously got into running last summer. But with the type of job I work everyone smokes around so it kind of hard to stop the habit you know that why I picked up ecig so much easier to deal with and less of the nasty smell.
I know the feeling with people smoking around you, it's not easy to quit.

Jakeey

Jul 7, 2015
@Jakeey, ha ha ha ha ha - I noticed you edited your original post. I thought you were being funny about going to Mars and getting your daughter (hence, my "Martian" jab - besides, aren't all little ones aliens of some sort????)
I'm from Sweden so my phone autocorrected March to mars :p as that's the name in Swedish sorry my bad ;) but Yea ofcourse all the little once are some sort of a alien ;p

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
I smoked for twenty years and made several unsuccessful attempts at quitting. At best I managed to hold off for close to two years, but I always returned to cigarettes. I even had a pulmonary embolism, twice, and couldn't get. I was at the point where breathing was hard (I'm asthmatic), as was walking in stairs (though I was otherwise in ok shape), and I really needed to quit. My cousin had told me about ecigarettes, having quit smoking with them himself, and I decided to give it a try, not really expecting it to work (nothing else had). Bought an ego starter pack and I was pretty much off cigarettes on the first night. That's almost two and a half years ago, and now I'm spending almost as much on vaping gear as I was on cigarettes :D

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Jakeey

Jul 7, 2015
I smoked for twenty years and made several unsuccessful attempts at quitting. At best I managed to hold off for close to two years, but I always returned to cigarettes. I even had a pulmonary embolism, twice, and couldn't get. I was at the point where breathing was hard (I'm asthmatic), as was walking in stairs (though I was otherwise in ok shape), and I really needed to quit. My cousin had told me about ecigarettes, having quit smoking with them himself, and I decided to give it a try, not really expecting it to work (nothing else had). Bought an ego starter pack and I was pretty much off cigarettes on the first night. That's almost two and a half years ago, and now I'm spending almost as much on vaping gear as I was on cigarettes :D

Yea, it's when you really wanna do something and you do it, feels like you've got all the power in the world

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Stoopid auto-correct gets me more often than not. Fun to see you're from Sweden (which is ANOTHER reason I love this forum - truly INTERNATIONAL) I see a lot of folks from UK and a few from other parts of Europe. What kind of gear is available there? One fellow from India was lamenting the lack of options in his country. I feel "spoiled" (at least for now, before the ANTZ and others potentially trample this technology) of what we can get here in the US.

{waving to all the folks 6 or 7 time zones ahead of me}

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Stoopid auto-correct gets me more often than not. Fun to see you're from Sweden (which is ANOTHER reason I love this forum - truly INTERNATIONAL) I see a lot of folks from UK and a few from other parts of Europe. What kind of gear is available there? One fellow from India was lamenting the lack of options in his country. I feel "spoiled" (at least for now, before the ANTZ and others potentially trample this technology) of what we can get here in the US.

There are very few b&m shops, only a small one here in Stockholm, and the gear available isn't that impressive. There are a number of online shops where you can get most stuff (though the really high end gear usually isn't available), but the prices are rather high. I order most of my stuff from China, better supply and prices. I get my eliquid bases and flavours from Poland or Germany mostly, though I think I may have found an acceptable supplier of vg and pg right here in Stockholm.

Oh, my wire I usually order from Germany, and my batteries from suppliers in Europe as well. Particularly with batteries the prices are high over here, and it's difficult to find what you're looking for.

Reactions: DingerCPA

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
The main reasons I quit were

-hacking cough/health
-expense
-wanting to be around for my grandkids :)

I loved smoking (all 25 years of it) but hated what it was doing to me.I never thought I'd be able to quit, my last cig was almost 5 years ago now.

It really is a life saver.

Welcome to the forum Jake!

Jakeey

Jul 7, 2015

Like all of it, but you gotta pay the price, selling anything other than lookalikes got banned in 2014 in Sweden (even tho candy shops and stuff carries egos somehow :p) but Yea I visited a vapeshop when I was in Florida 1 or 2 years ago, sometimes you wish you didn't move back to Sweden :c

Reactions: DingerCPA

Jakeey

Jul 7, 2015
The main reasons I quit were

-hacking cough/health
-expense
-wanting to be around for my grandkids :)

I loved smoking (all 25 years of it) but hated what it was doing to me.I never thought I'd be able to quit, my last cig was almost 5 years ago now.

It really is a life saver.

Welcome to the forum Jake!
Thanks and good choice! :)

Msand

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2014
WI
If you want some light reading here is a thread you should check out:

E-Cigarette Success Stories | E-Cigarette Forum

My factors where/are better health and money. Actually what prompted me to try vapping again was a new car payment. I had no idea where we where going to come up with the money for it. Quitting smoking made the loan payment plus insurance a wash.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread