Why We Should Drop The Term “E-Cigarettes”

Status
Not open for further replies.

dreamvaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 20, 2018
    UK
    Hello ECF members, I wanted to share and discuss with you an interesting article I found.

tobacco Harm Reduction experts agree that the word ‘e-cigarette’ should be replaced with vape or vaporiser, in order to avoid that the product is associated with its deadly combustible counterpart.

Countless studies have indicated that these products are significantly safer than actual cigarettes, and yet a large portion of the public remains confused and misinformed about their relative safety. Harm reduction experts also believe that the similar name (e-cigarette vs cigarette), just adds fuel to this confusion.

The word e-cigarette leads many to associate vaping with smoking

The NNA(New Nicotine Alliance) agrees, and whilst it suspects that replacing the word e-cigarette may take time, it urges us all to do so. “There’s no denying that the term e-cigarette leads many to an association with smoking, and this really is the issue here. We’re associating a far safer product with one that kills 7 million people a year,” said Charles Yates on behalf of the NNA, adding, “So, I ask all to drop the word e-cigarette, and start using vape or vaporiser, as it really seems to be the most logical alternative.”

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    @dreamvaper - There have been numerous other threads on this exact same topic in the past. I've seen about 1/2 a dozen at least, since I started lurking and reading on ECF in 2014, before finally joining in late 2015. I know there were more before that, too.

Explanations have been posted as to why the forum name cannot/will not be changed, too. Doing a search for them should pull them up for you.

Last edited:

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 3, 2013
    • Deleted by lamarrk
    • Reason: OFF TOPIC

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    ok, but it's not about the changing the name of the forum, I understand that it's not going to happen. But it's more about putting vaping devices apart of cigs.

The above IS what the other threads were also about. Discussion and explanations about the ECF name were only a small part of those threads.

untar

Vaping Master
    Feb 7, 2018
    Germany
    ENDS but that sounds sorta like the end
    Could be worked into a song nicely though:

My only friends, the ENDS
    jim-morrison-fix.jpg

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Apr 10, 2011
    Kentucky
    Yes, yes, yes... Cigarettes have a bad reputation. In truth, perceived harm reduction aside, what we do has more in common with cigarettes than distance from them. Appearances and methods DO count in this context of attempting to change attitudes. It would be great if public perception understood the differences, but I don't think that a termonology change is anything more than denial of the relationship on the part of vapers. It amounts to little more than a marketing ploy. Marketing ploys are often attempts to obfuscate...'smoke and mirrors.' It could be that 'real cigarette' use (in the U.S. anyway) evaporates more quickly than a term other than e-cigarette could be widely adopted. As far as ENDS, "nicotine" is largely what many think of as the nightmare part of the equation.

Last edited:

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
    Jan 10, 2015
    Kent - United Kingdom
    Many forum members, here and on UK forums, attempted to change the use of e-cigarette word, well before 2015.
    This is why you see the words PV, APV and device sticking around, but that's all we have been able to achieve.
    The problem is the mainstream media.

Eskie

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2016
    NY
    This general, or fundamental term, isn't how the components we use are referred to in a forum.

So it really isn't an issue for us as a community. So who cares what everyone else calls it !!?.

It's public relations. And the antz crowd certainly uses it, so why shouldn't we? The more responsible statements we can get in the media by trusted figures the better. That means no Tommy Vape's representing vapers.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Eventually someone will come up with an appropriate term for e-cigarettes. It can't be "Safe Cigarette". That's already been used and found not to be safe.

Electronic cigarettes have already been determined by Britain's Royal College of Physicians to be 95% safer than smoking (and they suspect that it's much higher than 95%, but won't commit until more research is done and more time passes).

• Informative
    Reactions: dreamvaper
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread