Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
yeah, Electronic Nicotine Delivery Systems (ENDS) - sounds a bit pessimistic to me

Well it's better than Personal Electronic Nicotine Inhalation System, especially if someone asks "Hey what is that you're sucking on?"

EDIT: dang it should have read page 2 before replying. Baditude beat me to it.

Last edited:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
Well it's better than Personal Electronic Nicotine Inhalation System, especially if someone asks "Hey what is that you're sucking on?"

EDIT: dang it should have read page 2 before replying. Baditude beat me to it.
Sorry, Scott - @smacuser bet him to it on p1.
Inserting Personal Electronic Nicotine Inhaling System joke

:here:

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
There was a time, which lasted for decades, when in the UK at least, everyone called a vacuum cleaner a "Hoover". I suspect something like this will happen to whatever we'll be using to vape with in the future eventually. Although i hope it will come about because of something radical being produced by the industry which may become a universally recognised device.

I think the term "e-cig" came about because of what was initially made available by the industry which was the cig-a-like.

So some new revolutionary hardware may well bring about the change which vapers want.
I'm guessing what you were thinking there, @Opinionated, and why you balked (I apparently don't have the filter you do)- there was a time when I was in HS and college, when we referred to other things as "hoovers." They actually involved Personal Electronic.....Nvm.

Yes- vaping device, etc. are better terms than e-cig. As others have said, we can discuss it all we want, but the public will pick what sticks.

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    It's just how it is.

This is a hijack !.

What we should be more concerned about however is how the likes of Mark Zuckerberg get unearned kudos from being known as code writers.

Decades people have spent operating for their country, risking their lives behind enemy lines, working as covert operatives to defend democracy and national security.

Then some poncey little TYPIST comes along and steals all their kudos.

Has anyone noticed how these types just love getting tangled up with intelligence services.

Like sure, you're working closely with the intelligence services !.

Annoying little twerp !.

Code writers ?. Call them what they are !.

They're Typists.

Sorry but i had just had to vent that seeing as it's a current affair at the moment.

And...................post

LOL .. I am a programmer and don't consider myself a "typist" (lots more to it than just typing)…. but I definitely do understand the points being made :)

AXIOM_1

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
  • Jul 6, 2015
    Pennsylvania, USA
    It's public relations. And the antz crowd certainly uses it, so why shouldn't we? The more responsible statements we can get in the media by trusted figures the better. That means no Tommy Vape's representing vapers.

yeah I think anyone who has seen that disgusting interview with the fake, vape demigod, known as Tommy can agree, or at least I hope they do ;)

Reactions: Eskie

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    You can call it what you want, but the message should be that there's no smoke, tars, or bad stuff in an ecig, just refined nicotine. I don't know what name would best describe that.

At any rate, all people who ask need to know is that my ecig is a nicotine delivery system that also produces vapor that simulates smoke, but without the bad stuff in cigarettes. I get to use nicotine without the risk of early death.

That short form would be, "It's a substitute for smoking that doen't produce smoke. It produces a vapor resembling smoke and takes away my desire to smoke. The British Royal College of Physicians researched vaping extensively and found no obvious health risks."

Last edited:

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
    Jan 10, 2015
    Kent - United Kingdom
    A long time ago, a company called Scotch made some very good sticky tape, selling it all over EU. Nowadays, if you ask for some scotch, you are handed a roll of sticky tape.
    Another company called TANNOY from Scotland, as the transistor era begun, made some very good public address systems.
    Fifty years later, I hear at the hotel reception, "can you ask over the TANNOY where my kids are?"
    May be the e-cigarettes in the future will be called Juul. Or some other brand still to be born.
    The process of generalising brand names is tough and unavoidable when it happens. See all the money Google is pouring into the attempt to avoid the use of Google as a verb in a discourse, but if it has to happen, it will, anyway...

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    On the one hand, electronic cigarette conveys the fact that it's not a tobacco cigarette, but a variation that doesn't burn tobacco. OTOH, it still has "cigarette" in the name, so people tend to think, "Well, it's still a cigarette".

Personal Vaporizer makes me think that the user has respiratory issues and the PV is delivering steam and maybe some sort of medication. Maybe that's true, since it delivers nicotine with or without flavoring.

Most people understand what vaping means and the name needs to enhance their understanding that it's water vapor with or without nicotine. But, it's not exactly water vapor, it's PG and VG steam with flavors and nic.

I still haven't arrived at a name that reflects the true nature of vaping. I tell people I'm vaping, not smoking and they understand that vaping is safe(r) and smoking is not.

You'd think that the industry would have arrived at a nomenclature by now that correctly describes what we do. I just tell people that I vape and haven't smoked a cigarette in the last 8 years.

chellie

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Oct 24, 2014
    USA
    Other than referring to e-cigs here, usually as opposed to an analog cigarette - I rarely use the term. Generally, I say, " No, I don't smoke- I vape!"

If I am helping someone stop smoking analogs I also use the term to explain the components and sort of compare it to analogs.

I do not use the word vaporizer - I use box, battery or mod and tank. KISS works for me.

ranjen617

ECF Veteran
    Oct 28, 2014
    Somewhere in mid - AL, USA
    Agree that e-cigarette is bad. When I'm around others that just don't know I call mine a "V-Mod" for vape mod. Some of the non nic using friends and family call it that now. Easier on my life vs attaching "e-cig" to label me as a person.

I'm just a "V-Mod" user to my Dad and others. ;)

I was here when a few posts like this came around and the name of the group. My favorite saying, "It Is What It Is" comes into play here. ...Unfortunately.:sleep:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread