Why Wouldn't You Buy a ProVari?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carless

ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2011
Valdosta, GA
No, they have no shortcomings that I can find. I'm thrilled with mine. If you can afford it and want a top-of-the-line, state-of-the-art variable-volt tube-mod, then there is no reason not to get yourself one.
If you are the truly analytical type buyer who wants the most value for the money and are willing to sacrifice some quality, you might want to check out the Lava as well though.
Had I known about the Lava at the time, I would have. I'm pretty sure I would still have gone with the Provari because I place such a high value on quality of construction and precision, but the Lava does deserve a look.

vaptamist

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 14, 2011
FL
It's an amp limiter that shuts the unit down and gives you an error message.

I see this parroted across this board quite a bit lately. It's really exaggerated how much of an issue this is. Unless you're trying to use very low res dual coil cartomizers it's not something you'll run into. Even if that's the case, you can step down a tenth of a volt or two and the error message goes away.

Saying that it shuts the unit down sort of implies that it puts it out of commission as well. Really what happens is the error message comes up briefly, you drop the voltage, and a few seconds later you're vaping again.

Really, the solution is, pick up some higher resistance atomizers and cartomizers to take advantage of the fact that you're using a variable voltage device anyway. Drawing a ton of amps on low resistance gear is going to drain the battery life faster anyway and limit your voltage options outside of the amp limiter anyway.

You don't see people complaining that their 5 or 6v device doesn't work well with 1.5 ohm attys/cartos, and you also don't see people complaining about not being able to use 3.5 ohm + atty/cartos on 3.7v devices as well. At least not legitimately anyway. If you're going to spend $$$ on a mod, purchase the right equipment to go along with and you don't have an issue.

Last edited:

frosting

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2011
Connecticut
I saw a "Geek Girl" Video about the provari way before I found out about LT that started to turn me off to it. So much click click here and oh double click that and scroll/click 15 times for this menu... and 37,58,000 times for this menu.... you get my point they just seem to need lots of clickin lovin, more then i'm comfortable with. All the options are nice, but I like something more simple.

markfm

Aussie Pup Wrangler
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2010
Beautiful Baldwinsville (CNY)
As vaptamist noted, if you want to work with low res DC at high power, Provari is more limited than the Buzz Pro or Infinity Pro, which have a 15W upper limit. You can drive a 1.5 ohm DC on an IP or BP up to a bit more than 4.7V.

I don't use DC, but I will sometimes exceed Provari amps/watts limits, when I want a real kick from my PV. Some people actually do like to be able to go to higher power.

Last edited:

Fazed

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2011
Lexington, Kentucky
Well it's a great pv from everything I've heard, but it's no Darwin. The Darwin is by far the best pv IMO. The Darwin has the ability to control wattage as appose to just voltage. I can't afford either a Provari or Darwin, but I'd love to be an owner of either device.

I've had both the Provari and Darwin. Both are excellent, but saying the Darwin is the "best PV" is highly subjective. It is a wonderful device, don't get me wrong, but I sold mine and purchased another Provari. I like carto tanks. Can you use them on a Darwin... Yes, but it is no longer pocket friendly when you do. If I worked in an office or only used it at home, I would have kept it. But I don't work in an office, and my Provari goes everywhere with me safely tucked in my pocket or belt holster (if at work). For me and my lifestyle, the Provari is a better PV.

As far as the click button menu. Seriously, people, it's no big deal. It takes a second to change or check anything. You make it sound like you need an advanced degree in buttonpressology to work it. Simply not true.

Also in regards to the E2 error. I don't use LR DC carts. For my DC tanks, I use 2.5 ohm DC's. I have never gotten an E2. However, if you do use them and get an E2, just turn the voltage down, and boom! You're vaping again. It doesn't shut down, melt in your hand, explode, turn into dust, or any such nonsense.

It's silly all the crap the Provari is taking from people who don't have one, and heard bad things about it on the interwebs, or are lava tube fanboys.

In my never to be humble opinion, the quality of the build, features, and regulated voltage far outweighs any possibility of getting a possible error if I happened use a carto that was meant for low voltage PVs anyway.

Just my $0.02. [/rant off]. ;)

Sent via cellular communication device...

nqabassist26

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2011
SoCal
If you can change the channel on a TV, then you can use a Provari. It seems a bit overwhelming when you read the "button configurations", but when you actually have one in your hands, it's stupid how easy it is to use.

The way I approach it, push the button until the menu pops up, and there you are, push it until you are at the screen you want to be it, simple as going from ESPN to CNN.

El-ahrairah

ECF Veteran
Mar 14, 2010
Chesterfield, MI
It's silly all the crap the Provari is taking from people who don't have one, and heard bad things about it on the interwebs, or are lava tube fanboys.

+1 on this!

Also, I'd rather have my Provari "shut down" than provide a less than satisfying vape. I mean, if you are used to vaping dual coils at high voltages, are you really going to be happy if it gets bumped down to 3.6-3.7? People are being catty over something that is really just "six of one, half a dozen of another".

I'm sure if the Provari were mass produced in China, made of aluminum and plastic, etc, then they would be about the same price. All the people who complain "oh noes, I have to press teh buttan!" don't seem to notice that they still have to press buttons to adjust voltages on a LT, there's just more of them.....not to mention the same button that almost everyone has to press to activate their unit. If you don't like buttons, get an auto mod.

davedrumdude

Verified Member
May 8, 2011
San Diego
I just bought a Provari and was using it with my G-Tank rebuildable addy running at 2.2 ohms with the provari putting out a wonderful 4.2 volts absolutly loving the vapor. All of a sudden I got a E8 error and havent been able to get it running yet. I've tried every suggestion in the FAQ section and still it is wont work. No matter what addy I put on it ( I've tried many different ones ) it tells me its a 1.3 ohm addy and wont fire. Presently I'm waiting for a response from Provape on what I can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread