wicks coils rbas please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

tg123

May 31, 2013
nc
i hope this is in the right section i got a cheap rba from fasttech and a aga td dual coil one from gotvapes i have tried to rebuild these things a couple times since i got them last week and they seem to be horrible im using 28 30 and 32 gauge kanthal with 2mm silica wick no matter what i do i keep tasting the wick what am i doing wrong?i have tried double wicks single wicks on the aga i done one coil then i done 2 coils all with the same ending even when i drip onto the wick i get the same thing

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
Not sure how you feel about it, but SS mesh is what I've always used in my RBA's. There's a bit of a learning curve to making wicks with it, but they work great and you are already grappling with difficulties. It's a learning curve either way. I find that rolling up an SS wick is pretty easy, and wrapping a coil on it is too. You might want to consider it as an alternative to silica, unless for some reason you are committed to silica.

A well made SS mesh wick can last you a month and delivers clean flavor. A small patch of mesh is cheap, and there are very good video tutorials on making wicks with it. Just my .02...

emus

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2009
emus 3/32?

3/32" is my favorite ID. Wicks very fast. I sometimes pack wick a little tighter w/ blunt end of drill bit. It is very easy to work w/ 3/32". Can tighten or loosed wick inside coil anytime.

I've played with 1/16" ID but the wicking is slow; wick tension is very critical for small diameters. I've yet to master 1/16". I'm vaping on a 1/16" build from yesterday and it still has that cotton taste. Some of my 3/32" builds taste clean imediately.

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
the cheap rba actually came with mesh and it was the same way i think the aga did to but the cheap one was already coiled with mesh i ended up taking it out i let it sit for 2 days until i got any flavor and its was horrible

Oh dear! I would never use a mesh wick someone else made! Or any other kind of wick someone else made. If you are going to do RBA's you have to do it yourself. I'm not at all surprised *their* wick sucked. Don't let that put you off mesh! BTW, I started RBA's with an AGA-T2, and I have to say, the flavor is not the best. There' s a bit of a rank flavor to mine, and I sidelined it in favor of my RSST.

Getting back to the wick, you REALLY need to make your own. That's what rebuildables are all about. If you want it done right do it yourself. Do YOUR OWN WICKS AND COILS. Trust me, it's very rewarding to do your own build and get good results from it, and it's really not that hard.

What kind of mod are you using your cheap RBA's on?

Last edited:

tg123

May 31, 2013
nc
yea i figured that out i took it off and re wrapped my own with silica same horrible taste lol well tasting silica this time i even tried to double silica thinking it was not getting enough liquid i really want to get this down because rba seems to be the way to go tired of buying pt3 and pt2 coils

some crap that came with it tbh its build on the battery case guess i should have read the description better but im more worried about getting the aga td working good

Last edited:

Vash

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2012
ethervapes.com
Check out the micro coil thread to see how much cotton people are using .I would wrap 12 wraps of the 30 into a nice tight micro and use cotton wick and give that a try.After you wrap the coil and mount it trim your legs and fire it up and squeeze gently on the coil with tweezers or pliers to get it tight.MAKE SURE FINGER IS OFF BUTTON BEFORE YOU SQUEEZE!!!

Then pop on top cap and make sure air hole lines up with the coil.If not adjust coil till it does and make sure it isnt touching posts /bottom/sides of atty.Once its good move onto putting in wick.
Roll up cotton wick and slip it in and trim side close to top cap shorter so its just little bit out of coil and leave other side longer to absorb more juice when you drip it.You want cotton to slide in not too loose or too tight .Should be just a little snug.
Then when its done just pop on cap again making sure airhole is lined up and then drip enough juice to saok wick well and then vape .Make sure airhole is facing away from you when you vape it to get good air flow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread