Will I ever find cigarettes unappealing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

telsie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2009
Maryland
It's been over seven months since I quit analogs and I still love the smell of smoke. Aren't I suppose to be hating it by now? Or do former smokers always love it?

I'm also amazed at how completely natural it still feels to hold a cigarette between my fingers or in my lips. I still have my half-pack from last October and once in a while, I like to visit it. I pull one out, sniff it, hold it, stick it in my mouth a minute... It feels so normal. Maybe I'm tempting fate when I do that, but I've never been very tempted to light it. Okay, maybe I'm a little tempted.

So many vapers have said how disgusting analogs are once you've been vaping for a while. I want that to be true for me. I want to light one, take a drag and hate it so much that I won't ever be nostalgic about smoking again. But I fear that won't happen. I fear it would be the most awesome drag of smoke ever and that half-pack would quickly become an empty pack. And then I'd be off to 7-11 to buy a new pack. Then a carton....

I wish I'd start hating the smell of smoke so I wouldn't have these thoughts.

Orion

ECF Veteran
Feb 23, 2010
Central Florida
This guy I know has been smoke free for about 20 years and he confesses that every now and then he has an urge to have one. I was kind of shocked because he's the guy who always harped on the rest of us about smoking.

Myself, I stopped smoking in Feb 2010, and I've had tempting moments. I personally now find the smell to be appalling and can't believe I actually like it at one time. My personal trigger is the sight, like when I saw Shutter Island in the theater, I thought my head was going to explode I wanted to run across the street to the gas station so bad. And it's happened a few times here and there while watching tv or a movie with someone smoking in it.

I also will confess I have taken one out of the pack, smelled, drooled over the tobacco and then lite it :oops:.....and then gagged. I definitely hate the taste, the smell is now gross to me, but something about the sight of someone else smoking makes me want one, lol.

So I guess the moral of my ramblings are, there are plenty of ex-smokers out there who have the thought cross their mind from time to time and
I believe it to be perfectly normal reaction to something that has been a part of your life for so long.

Moonflame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 27, 2009
Smith Mt Lake area, Va, USA
I admit I still like the smell of a cigarette being smoked by someone else sometimes, but the smell of stake smoke makes me want to vomit. I was tempted while hubby was in the hospital last week just because I was so scared and needed the security blanket feeling of it. Thankfully, I remembered the one time I did smoke about 3 months after starting vaping that had given me a migraine that lasted for 2 days and resisted. If I had become incapacitated by a migraine while he needed me with him at the hospital I would have been even more of a basket case than I already was.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
I think those cigarettes you've got left from last October are pretty stale by now, they'd probably taste pretty bad, even to a smoker, LOL.

I quit smoking on 1/15/2010. I've had a few cigarettes since then, but not in the past couple of months. I had 7 or 8 cartons on hand, and after selling a couple of them dirt cheap, I gave the rest away ... months after I quit smoking. I figured they were just getting stale and I knew someone who was not quitting, so why not? They would buy anyway, I just saved them some cash.

I'm happy to say, I didn't find the few that I smoked to be very tasty. OK, honestly, I found them hard to tolerate. Very good thing for me. Apparently I never really liked tobacco, I just smoked because I was a nicotine addict. That, and the fact that after quitting for a short while, my senses of taste and smell improved, allowing me to REALLY taste and smell the cigarettes.

crand

ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
Interesting that I noticed this post as I just returned to my hotel room after being trapped with several others in a bar for the last three hours [didn't have wheels, was depending on another for a ride back].
I've not had a 'light-em-up' as I call them for 20 months and this was the first time that I really noticed how obnoxious, disgusting and just plain vile it is to be surrounded by smokers.
Up until about month 10 I still liked the smell, since then I guess I would say I've been neutral on it but, today, phase three kicked in big time.

CaptJay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2010
A Brit, abroad, (USA)
Unappealing after you smoke it or puff it but not before - so theres something we THINK we want but don't when we try it. IMO anyway. I never deny myself btw - and always end up reinforcing my decision NOT to smoke so its a 2 edged sword really. If the urge is that great Ill have one, but cant get past about 3 puffs - its the after taste, and the smell on my hands thats the worst.

Ive only been vaping for about 10 days and Ive had some setbacks which probably means Ive been truly vaping for about a week or less but I still havent been able to put the analogs down. Funny thing is, I hate the smell, I really dont like the taste, I am washing my hands constantly, I hate the way they make me feel by the end of the day and yet I still cant make that switch completely. Im seeking out the right juice, orders are coming in as of today but Im still kind of perplexed that this switch wasnt easier for me. Hopefully, I'll hit the right juice combo and be able to walk away from the analogs...in the meantime, I keep reading threads like this for encouragement so keep posting!

Robin Woods

ECF Veteran
Dec 6, 2009
Central Florida
I don't know if it ever totally goes away. I've been vaping since the new year. Hubby also, although he still has a couple of cigarettes daily. Mostly when he's at work. And he'll have one in the morning on the way to get his coke in the morning. I can smell it on him when he get's home. I don't like the smell of smoke on people anymore. I did try a regular cig about 2 months ago as he was having one. I took one puff and that was it. Made me gag, LOL! Not sure what it is....why I can only do e-cigs and hubby can't. I've been working us both down on the nic level in the juice. Maybe because he still smokes now and then that doesn't matter and because I haven't, I'm almost smoke free. Just ordered some 6 mg and some 0 mg juice. Will see how that affects hubby. But the fact you've had a pack since Oct says alot. You are doing great! Those are stale. May as well get rid of them. Either buy a new pack and have one and see if you still like it or bum one off of a friend :) You may find you don't like it at all. But if you do, it's no disgrace....just keep going and work your way down! Every little bit helps and is a great accomplishment! Don't beat yourself up over still disirering! It will come.

sherid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 25, 2008
USA
It's been over seven months since I quit analogs and I still love the smell of smoke. Aren't I suppose to be hating it by now? Or do former smokers always love it?

I'm also amazed at how completely natural it still feels to hold a cigarette between my fingers or in my lips. I still have my half-pack from last October and once in a while, I like to visit it. I pull one out, sniff it, hold it, stick it in my mouth a minute... It feels so normal. Maybe I'm tempting fate when I do that, but I've never been very tempted to light it. Okay, maybe I'm a little tempted.

So many vapers have said how disgusting analogs are once you've been vaping for a while. I want that to be true for me. I want to light one, take a drag and hate it so much that I won't ever be nostalgic about smoking again. But I fear that won't happen. I fear it would be the most awesome drag of smoke ever and that half-pack would quickly become an empty pack. And then I'd be off to 7-11 to buy a new pack. Then a carton....

I wish I'd start hating the smell of smoke so I wouldn't have these thoughts.
I've never found them unappealing and question some who say they are now disgusted by the taste. I have been vaping for a year and a half now, BUT I always have a cigarette in the morning with coffee. I did not start vaping to quit smoking, and was very surprised to find myself smoking so little after I started vaping regularly. I have no intention of willingly giving up that morning Marlboro. I call myself a smoker still, and can appreciate the psychology of pretending that cigarettes are somehow magically disgusting. For me, though, they most definitely are not disgusting.

NCC

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2010
Fla Panhandle, USA
@sherid: Well, I'd say you're doing a good thing for your health ... and more power to you.

Like you, I didn't plan to quit smoking. In fact, the thought hadn't even entered my mind. I bought my first PV as a curiosity ... just an interesting gadget. I was completely shocked by the fact that the day I took delivery I put the smokes down! :)

That was 1/15/2010. A few days later I bummed a smoke from a co-worker after I misjudged and run out of battery power at the end of the day.

To give you an indication of just how unplanned quitting was: I had three cartons in hand and five more cartons on order. Those were delivered a few days later, and I had eight cartons. I sold a couple cartons for a loss. After a month or so, I GAVE the remaining cigarettes away. In the time before I gave them away, I lit up several times. I could not finish an entire cigarette though.

Regardless of what mind games you think I'm playing with myself ... they honestly were revolting to me. So, why did I try to smoke? As CaptJay said, "Unappealing after you smoke it or puff it but not before - so theres something we THINK we want but don't when we try it." MAOIs or whatever ... that's probably what you're craving in the morning.

And, I have to admit that at times I've felt a bit of a craving for something. Vaping ISN'T smoking ... but, it's close enough to allow me to give up a 35 year 1-2 pack per day habit. And the powers that be would like to take it away from me. :mad:

Anyway, one cigarette a day is a victory! :toast:

mianker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 10, 2010
USA
I smoked my last cigarette 03/15/10 and I thought I was over cigarette smoke being tempting, my husband still smokes outside and uses an e-cig inside and the smell of his cigarettes makes me nauseous, YUCK. Then I was outside when someone lit a menthol cigarette (I had smoked menthol for years & hated regular cigarettes) my mouth immediately watered and I wanted a cigarette for the 1st time in over 2 months. I am still amazed at the hold they had/have on me. I have read recently that menthol smokers actually have 2 addictions. I think I now believe it.

vikings

ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Malaysia
I've stopped smoking analogs for about a week now....yesterday, a friend lit up at lunch and I asked for one as I didn't have my kit with me. Honestly, I did find it soothing to a certain extent, but after a few puffs, I just didn't enjoy the smell nor the flavor. The other thing I really cannot stand anymore is the stale pungent smell on your clothes/fingers/hair.

Grenage

ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2008
Portsmouth, UK
Once a smoker, always a smoker. The saying doesn't mean you'll smoke cigs for your whole life, but the desire will always be there. I still crave cigs, especially after a meal, but it gets pushed aside when I vape.

I still love the smell of fresh cigarette smoke, and if I put a lit cigarette in my mouth it's like going back in time 15 years to my first cigarette (now that I can smell and taste, as I could back then). That said, after the first puff - all romantic notions and urges are destroyed by the foul taste and lack of throat hit.

chrisl317

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 29, 2009
Warren, MI USA
You will, it may have smelt good, but, try taking a drag. I gagged when I did. I'm coming up on my one year anniversary. Now, I find it difficult to be in a room full of cigarette smoke - hard to breathe, nasty smell, etc. I don't however, have the anti attitude though, but I won't vape in a room full of smokers either. I can't vape and smoke at the same time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread