Will There Ever Be A Malboro E-Cig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
Do you think big tobacco will ever catch up and start their own line of electronic cigarettes? Will there be a Marlboro brand or Winston or Newport vaping device? If that happens do you think they'll start from scratch giving sample e-cigs taped to their packs of analogs or will they begin buying out the bigger e-cig makers that already exist?

Fulgurant

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Do you think big tobacco will ever catch up and start their own line of electronic cigarettes? Will there be a Marlboro brand or Winston or Newport vaping device? If that happens do you think they'll start from scratch giving sample e-cigs taped to their packs of analogs or will they begin buying out the bigger e-cig makers that already exist?

Well, Blu is owned by Lorillard Tobacco company, and the newly introduced Vuse belongs to RJ Reynolds. Philip Morris appears to be poised to enter the e-cig market as well.

So yes. The future is now.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
Well, Blu is owned by Lorillard Tobacco company, and the newly introduced Vuse belongs to RJ Reynolds. Philip Morris appears to be poised to enter the e-cig market as well.

So yes. The future is now.

Well BLU was about the most disappointing vape I've had so far, but it figures they are owned by the cancer agents since they have so much money for promotion and advertising. I wouldn't put it past them to be the ones behind the misinformation and push toward regulations since they wouldn't have any problem affording the cost of that while smaller independent companies would struggle.

Fulgurant

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Well BLU was about the most disappointing vape I've had so far, but it figures they are owned by the cancer agents since they have so much money for promotion and advertising. I wouldn't put it past them to be the ones behind the misinformation and push toward regulations since they wouldn't have any problem affording the cost of that while smaller independent companies would struggle.

Right. It's in Big Tobacco's interest to make a mediocre and overpriced e-cig product so that their cigarettes continue to compare favorably. Competition isn't that large a concern just yet, because none of the real pioneers in the e-cig industry have the opportunity to place their products in every corner store and gas station. And hey, if the FDA happens to wipe out some of the smaller e-cig businesses, so much the better for BT.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
Right. It's in Big Tobacco's interest to make a mediocre and overpriced e-cig product so that their cigarettes continue to compare favorably. Competition isn't that large a concern just yet, because none of the real pioneers in the e-cig industry have the opportunity to place their products in every corner store and gas station. And hey, if the FDA happens to wipe out some of the smaller e-cig businesses, so much the better for BT.

That's just sad. Perhaps if several of the larger e-cig makers merged to make a larger corporation . . .

Debra_oh

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Cleveland, OH
R. J. Reynolds is test marketing their Vuse brand in Colorado now. The reviews i have read were actually pretty good.

It will be bad if BT gets to much of a foothold. They have the money and power to get rid of most of the smaller, innovative companies many of us use. The whole movement to ban internet sales probably gets a good amount of funding from BT.

Last edited:

EdOz

Oct 8, 2013
Disagree on Blu. I know of several vapers that started out with Blu. And there's a ton more that have stuck with Blu for months.. With no cigarettes.

While the rest of us may have moved on (myself one of them), many are happy with Blu. It's gotten them off cigarettes, most permanently.

Yes it may be overpriced (although the starter pack is pretty fair IMHO, it's the cartos that are ridiculous), but it has taken vaping to a whole new level.

Yes some long for the days of the "underground".. But the entrance of BT into this market is only going to mean better equipment all around as everybody steps up their game.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
reminds me of the car commercial where the guy crawls out from under a rock:laugh:

Where have you been the last several months? BT is all over this and causing unbelievable grief!

Yes some long for the days of the "underground".. But the entrance of BT into this market is only going to mean better equipment all around as everybody steps up their game.

Yea, look at all the mom and pop cigarette companies and how they have stepped up...............errr................ That's right they were all run out of business by BT manipulation of the market. Not unlike the Auto makers making temporary alliances to squash any upcoming competitor.

Last edited:

Fulgurant

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
Disagree on Blu. I know of several vapers that started out with Blu. And there's a ton more that have stuck with Blu for months.. With no cigarettes.

While the rest of us may have moved on (myself one of them), many are happy with Blu. It's gotten them off cigarettes, most permanently.

Yes it may be overpriced (although the starter pack is pretty fair IMHO, it's the cartos that are ridiculous), but it has taken vaping to a whole new level.

My intention was not to criticize cigalikes in general or Blu in particular. You are absolutely correct to point out that those products have introduced people to vaping and ultimately therefore allowed them to quit smoking.

But if Big Tobacco becomes the primary player in the vaping industry, there will be a conflict of interest: Big Tobacco's meat and potatoes is still on the cigarette side of the business. So you cannot count on Big Tobacco to innovate on the e-cig side. What you can count on from Big Tobacco is that they'll make e-cig products that are only as good as the market situation dictates they must be. You can count on pricing that allows cigarettes to compare favorably.

Big Tobacco, in other words, is a reluctant participant in the e-cig market. They must remain relevant, so they'll throw their hat in the ring, but will they cry if the FDA imposes a massive tax that increases the price of e-cigs across the board? No. How about crushing regulatory requirements that will bury smaller operations in years worth of red tape? Hell no.

Blu isn't a terrible product, but it could be much better. Given the resources available to Lorillard Tobacco (and their ilk), you'd expect that they could produce an e-cig that'd knock our socks off, but they haven't. Will they in the future? All I'm saying is, "Don't hold your breath." Right now, BT can basically corner the e-cig market just by default; they have access to enviable product placement in basically every store in the country. And because their e-cigs are more visible to the public than superior products, those products have done a fair amount of good, basically by default.

EdOz

Oct 8, 2013
reminds me of the car commercial where the guy crawls out from under a rock:laugh:

Where have you been the last several months? BT is all over this and causing unbelievable grief!

Yea, look at all the mom and pop cigarette companies and how they have stepped up...............errr................ That's right they were all run out of business by BT manipulation of the market. Not unlike the Auto makers making temporary alliances to squash any upcoming competitor.

Okay explain the sudden influx of Privately owned B&M stores.. Small businesses around this country devoted to vaping.. And able to make a business of it..

these mom and pop stores where some are actively hiring just to keep up with demand that has begun to skyrocket...

Arguably better quality juice and a heightened sense of self regulation among these juice makers to ensure what were vaping is safe...

There's going to be a period where small vendors are going to be knocked out.. That's what happens when any market grows. But there's gonna be several companies that all but started out in somebody's garage that will make it big.

The biggest threat is not BT.. It's misguided regulation.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
I think anyone who tries ANY brand of e-cigarette is going to end up staying away from analogs. Once you try it what reason on earth would you go back to cancer sticks? So the fact that people have smoked BLU for months with no cigarettes isn't any achievement on Blu's part. As far as overpriced, um, yeah. I'm talking about disposables now. I'm getting the same lifespan, more flavor and better variety of nicotine levels from my one dollar Fling Mini than I did from my nine dollar Blu. I know the Minis are on sale right now but if they can sell it for a dollar that means it costs less than a dollar to produce, which means Blu is charging a 900% markup. Plus there was just nothing exceptional about Blu at all IMHO. I'm quite certain when I finally decide on what kit to invest it, Blu won't even be on my long list, and especially not now that I now they're tied in to the industry that is the most likely candidate pushing for regulations.

Last edited:

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
My intention was not to criticize cigalikes in general or Blu in particular. You are absolutely correct to point out that those products have introduced people to vaping and ultimately therefore allowed them to quit smoking.

But if Big Tobacco becomes the primary player in the vaping industry, there will be a conflict of interest: Big Tobacco's meat and potatoes is still on the cigarette side of the business. So you cannot count on Big Tobacco to innovate on the e-cig side. What you can count on from Big Tobacco is that they'll make e-cig products that are only as good as the market situation dictates they must be. You can count on pricing that allows cigarettes to compare favorably.

Big Tobacco, in other words, is a reluctant participant in the e-cig market. They must remain relevant, so they'll throw their hat in the ring, but will they cry if the FDA imposes a massive tax that increases the price of e-cigs across the board? No. How about crushing regulatory requirements that will bury smaller operations in years worth of red tape? Hell no.

Blu isn't a terrible product, but it could be much better. Given the resources available to Lorillard Tobacco (and their ilk), you'd expect that they could produce an e-cig that'd knock our socks off, but they haven't. Will they in the future? All I'm saying is, "Don't hold your breath." Right now, BT can basically corner the e-cig market just by default; they have access to enviable product placement in basically every store in the country. And because their e-cigs are more visible to the public than superior products, those products have done a fair amount of good, basically by default.

Right. That's like trusting the oil industry to put out a top quality line of electric cars.

avaholic

Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Denver
Debra_oh:10980345 said:
R. J. Reynolds is test marketing their Vuse brand in Colorado now. The reviews i have read were actually pretty good.

It will be bad if BT gets to much of a foothold. They have the money and power to get rid of most of the smaller, innovative companies many of us use. The whole movement to ban internet sales probably gets a good amount of funding from BT.

I live here in Denver and like many others, I got a coupon for a free vuse and free refill kit. Its awful. Flavor is horrible, way overpriced, and vapor production is lacking.

The only good I see come out of it, is when people get them and are disappointed, I can swoop in and have them try a far more superior vape! Easiest referrals ive gotten lol

I keep the Vuse in the trucks glovebox, just in case I need a backup to get through a rough day, or if I happen to forget juice/coils or break both of my backups lol but I highly doubt that day will ever come.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
I would also venture to say by my experience so far that vaping is MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH less addictive than cigarette smoking. You know that feeling you get when you smoke cigarettes, ten, twenty minutes after you've had one, how you just HAVE to have another one? That's not nicotine. That's whatever other crap they put in the cigarettes. I'd compare it to what it acts like but this forum has strict rules about even mentioning certain substances. But I think you get my drift. I have yet to feel like I'm going to go nuts if I don't get another puff on the e-cigarette like I used to get when I was smoking analogs. So without that addiction e-cigarettes will be less profitable for BT than their analogs so what motivation will they have to produce a quality product?

EdOz

Oct 8, 2013

Great points in your post here sir. Won't quote it all for obvious reasons but here's where i disagree with you.

BT is a willing participant in this. Tobacco regulation and taxing has caused a conundrum for them. Smokers are quitting not only because of the OBVIOUS health issues but price as well. Look at NYC: $14 for a pack of cigarettes now. The market is beginning to collapse on itself.

Here comes vaping -- which for thousands (if not millions) already has given them a way to kick cigarettes once and for all. Never has it been this easy to put down that cigarette.

What is BT to do? Getting into ecigs is the smart business move. Their market is going somewhere else. Do you blame them for trying to get us back?

Not sticking up for BT -- they've lied to the public for decades while cancer deaths as a result of smoking climbed dramatically. But in the end, they're not going to screw with this market. They may buy up the little guys (happens in every industry) but they're not going to push for more regulation.

That's just a bad business move.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread