Will There Ever Be A Malboro E-Cig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
Do you think big tobacco will ever catch up and start their own line of electronic cigarettes? Will there be a Marlboro brand or Winston or Newport vaping device? If that happens do you think they'll start from scratch giving sample e-cigs taped to their packs of analogs or will they begin buying out the bigger e-cig makers that already exist?

I certainly hope not.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
Great points in your post here sir. Won't quote it all for obvious reasons but here's where i disagree with you.

BT is a willing participant in this. Tobacco regulation and taxing has caused a conundrum for them. Smokers are quitting not only because of the OBVIOUS health issues but price as well. Look at NYC: $14 for a pack of cigarettes now. The market is beginning to collapse on itself.

Here comes vaping -- which for thousands (if not millions) already has given them a way to kick cigarettes once and for all. Never has it been this easy to put down that cigarette.

What is BT to do? Getting into ecigs is the smart business move. Their market is going somewhere else. Do you blame them for trying to get us back?

Not sticking up for BT -- they've lied to the public for decades while cancer deaths as a result of smoking climbed dramatically. But in the end, they're not going to screw with this market. They may buy up the little guys (happens in every industry) but they're not going to push for more regulation.

That's just a bad business move.

I will still have to disagree. What could happen if BT got hold of the e-cig monopoly is that they would just SIT on it, making weak, token attempts to market it while using their lobby powers to regulate it more and more until anyone who doesn't have their resources can't even sell it. Why on earth would they invest heavily in something that is successfully weaning people OFF their addiction???

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
Great points in your post here sir. Won't quote it all for obvious reasons but here's where i disagree with you.

BT is a willing participant in this. Tobacco regulation and taxing has caused a conundrum for them. Smokers are quitting not only because of the OBVIOUS health issues but price as well. Look at NYC: $14 for a pack of cigarettes now. The market is beginning to collapse on itself.

Here comes vaping -- which for thousands (if not millions) already has given them a way to kick cigarettes once and for all. Never has it been this easy to put down that cigarette.

What is BT to do? Getting into ecigs is the smart business move. Their market is going somewhere else. Do you blame them for trying to get us back?

Not sticking up for BT -- they've lied to the public for decades while cancer deaths as a result of smoking climbed dramatically. But in the end, they're not going to screw with this market. They may buy up the little guys (happens in every industry) but they're not going to push for more regulation.

That's just a bad business move.

I have to disagree with you on a key point. BT is already pushing for more regulation. It's actually good business.

BT is losing market share to quitters, some of whom start vaping. They want in on the ecig market and want, as is good business, to crush the competition. Their enormous size and regulatory experience gives them an advantage in a heavily regulated market. They have the labs, they have the lobbying machines, and they have the know-how to navigate a government maze. The small players are the targets and BT is welcoming as much regulation as they can get. Something as simple as clean room requirements, GCMP and lab analysis of all ingredients would shut down most existing juice suppliers overnight. BT is in favor of a raft of regulations that choke off the small suppliers along with any real innovation.

Scarey

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 14, 2013
Lafayette, IN, USA
I will still have to disagree. What could happen if BT got hold of the e-cig monopoly is that they would just SIT on it, making weak, token attempts to market it while using their lobby powers to regulate it more and more until anyone who doesn't have their resources can't even sell it. Why on earth would they invest heavily in something that is successfully weaning people OFF their addiction???

The other option is that they see people leaving their products, and decided to try to recapture some of that market. You go out try a Mark 10, like it, and keep using it, or hate it and keep smoking. Or you resaech if there's something better, after you've given them another $10 for the first disposable, $25 for a charger and extra battery, maybe another $20 for extra batteries, an $13 for a 4 pack of cartos, that you'll burn through in a day.

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 13, 2010
Colorado
I think if BT tries to seriously get into the game, they will fall flat on their faces. They will have the best marketed, but most inferior, overpriced products available. I think that vaping will thrive best as an 'underground' concept. I think the only thing that will change in the face of vaping, will be more noobs joining e-cig forums asking how to have a better vaping experience than some celebrity spokesperson hired by BT is telling them to buy (a good thing). I don't think BT will ever market a 'high performance' device that vapers are truly looking for.

BT has its place, and this isn't it. I think they have missed the boat, and are too far behind the curve. They will be looking for profit margins that are simply too ridiculous to compete with a vendor that has gained knowledge based from hands on experience, and who has a true interest in the vaping world.

Naive? Maybe, but I think not.

LDS714

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Nashville, TN, USA
This may be an unpopular opinion, but...

I honestly can't see tobacco company executives not being smart enough to get with the vaping program, so to speak. Think about it, an opportunity to not only keep your existing customers, but keep them around longer?

And as far as advancing the technology? They have the funding and R&D to not only do it, but to get into patent wars with each other over innovative new technology. It will happen. With the way public sentiment has gone anti-tobacco in the last several decades, they have more to lose by not furthering vaping than anyone.

Make them out to be evil and anything else you want, but never, ever underestimate their business acumen. They're in business to make a profit, and if anyone thinks they don't already have 5- and 10-year plans in place to target this fast growing market segment I have a map to Santa Claus's house I'll sell them...

ScottM

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2013
Houston
Watch the movie, I think it's called Who Killed The Electric Car. The oil industry is NOT going to replace their gas guzzling automobiles with electric cars.

Not a popular topic for a movie, I know, but look at the dollars those oil companies have invested in it, and look at the billions that BP is spending on biofuel. THe dollars invested can't be denied.

Same goes for the money those evil tobacco companies are spending on ecig development. Like it or not, they are investing in the industry.

It's funny, those tobacco companies didn't seem that evil when I was smoking, and probably didn't to others, as well.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
6992 kilometers from home...
85% of the e-cig market belongs to 3 companies who sell products which people on here generally wouldn't buy. Only a minority of vapers use mods. The cigalike market is what they are after. It would be like Walmart trying to go after mom and pop grocery stores. They don't; they don't care. The mom and pop stores aren't competition. Many do go under, but it isn't because of anything Walmart does, other than offer lower prices.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I think anyone who tries ANY brand of e-cigarette is going to end up staying away from analogs. Once you try it what reason on earth would you go back to cancer sticks?

Plausible to do both items. I could provide up to 5 reasons why logs are preferable over eCigs. Ex-smokers and anti-smokers would likely disagree with those reason, but it would just be opinions at the end of the day.

What could happen if BT got hold of the e-cig monopoly is that they would just SIT on it, making weak, token attempts to market it while using their lobby powers to regulate it more and more until anyone who doesn't have their resources can't even sell it. Why on earth would they invest heavily in something that is successfully weaning people OFF their addiction???

Because of market and perception. If current (geographical) market has such a stigma against smoking, but is gray on use of nicotine in other forms, then those who use nicotine in their product, and have lots and lots of money to invest in other forms of delivery, would be wise to adjust their products to cater to those consumers.

I think BT's place in the eCig market is a good thing, both for consumers and for BT. I think stigma against BT, even amongst vapers, is likely to work against them for a long time to come, but if eCigs are around 50 years from now, the vapers then will be less aware of deep seeded hatred that many seemed to have long ago (read as now). And if internet sales are around 50 years from now, I don't see a monopoly as even possible. Smaller vendors will always have loyal customers, even if those customers must go the black market to obtain what they want.

Last edited:

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
If Philip Morris introduces a variable voltage device that lasts for two days (battery life), and can sell it to me cheaper than an online vendor........ well, they were good enough for me then, and they'll be good enough for me now. I just doubt I'll be seeing that any time soon.

There's no reason why they would at this time. Cigalikes are the market. As vaping becomes mainstream, then the Marlboro mods will come out.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 5, 2013
In the Mountains
For me it wouldn't matter how good BT's ecigs became, I really don't want to buy anything from someone who tried their best to kill me right along with every other customer they ever had. And you don't have to be a customer to be in their gun sight, just a bystander. Hell of a business model.

stevegmu

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 10, 2013
For me it wouldn't matter how good BT's ecigs became, I really don't want to buy anything from someone who tried their best to kill me right along with every other customer they ever had. And you don't have to be a customer to be in their gun sight, just a bystander. Hell of a business model.

They strapped you down and forced you to smoke? Do obese people also blame fast food or soda for their condition?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread