Will There Ever Be A Malboro E-Cig?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gr1llmeacheese

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 30, 2013
Aurora, IL, USA
They strapped you down and forced you to smoke? Do obese people also blame fast food or soda for their condition?

Your point is understood but yes, some obese people do blame things like the ease of access to fast food and other junk snacks as the culprit in their health issue.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I started when I was 13 back in the '60s. So yeah, what did I know? Never heard they were bad for you until it was too late.

So, even at 13, did you honestly think smoking was healthy? Like if you ate an orange or had a smoke, they were about the same for you?

I think I was around age 7 when I realized candy isn't good for me. Did I stop eating candy as a result of my awareness? No. Do I blame the candy industry for my ongoing desire to eat candy? That would also be a no.

vaperature

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2013
Chicago
Not a popular topic for a movie, I know, but look at the dollars those oil companies have invested in it, and look at the billions that BP is spending on biofuel. THe dollars invested can't be denied.

Same goes for the money those evil tobacco companies are spending on ecig development. Like it or not, they are investing in the industry.

It's funny, those tobacco companies didn't seem that evil when I was smoking, and probably didn't to others, as well.

The government is forcing them to spend a certain amount of money on alternative fuel research. They aren't doing it willingly.

ScottM

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2013
Houston
The government is forcing them to spend a certain amount of money on alternative fuel research. They aren't doing it willingly.

They are Energy companies. They market Energy, including Biofuel. Regarding electric cars, they consume hydrocarbons- that is what produces, by far, the most electricity. It is amazing that people think that electric cars don't consume fossil fuels. Some of the same people that are anti-oil companies, and nuclear power, are pro-electric cars... You can't win, some people are out there screaming about bird-strikes from wind energy. (Drive through a wind farm, it is a "blight" on the landscape) In today's world, it seems like most issues end up being somewhat circular.

There is a carry-over to the analogy, as well, between ecigs and BT. For one, the vilification process. Stevegmu is right, we smoked by choice. It is as simple as that. The victim mindset doesn't work well for me. Maybe that is why it has been easier for me to quit than some- I assume responsibility for my actions, including smoking. BT never forced me to smoke. It was my choice.

Yes, I know... the additives. That does irk me. But for the purpose of quitting, I am leaving that out for now. But who that makes me mad at is the FDA and gov for allowing it. If you want to be really spooled up about BT, that really should be directed at the gov types that had no problem grabbing the money from BT lobbyists, and then passed legislation to grab more tax revenue.

Do I think BT should get a complete pass? Certainly not. There is merit to your points about BT and ecigs. I just don't see it as a cut and dried issue. Anyways, great thread. It gets the mind going. I have been wondering if I would buy a Marlborro or Winston ecig. I probably would if it worked towards quitting smoking. I does seem a bit odd, though, but it does make sense for them to get in the market.

MJTP

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2012
TN
The only thing positive about Blu is that for better or worse, their juice is indeed garnered toward a healthy vape - Johnson's Creek Juice. Blu's cartomizers though are a universal ponzi scheme because they're designed to burn their own filler material, which is unhealthy, and their kits break 6 days later. If Blu specifically sold top-feed clearos and Ego style cigs like Johnson's Creek does, I'd have no problem with them actually. They just need to get their gear in line and stop ripping off customers.

With Johnson's Creek's ties to Blu, I surely would not think Blu would try to run Johnson's Creek out of business. But maybe they would. I don't know. I'd hope that Johnson's Creek would somehow get a bypass when it comes to legislation if it ever happens - I'd probably be able to live with their devices and juice, I do like their juice. And while it's way more expensive, surprisingly, I'm getting so much a better vape from a local shop's Clearotank and regular old Ego battery.

It's mainly too that Blu's ecigs don't have overcharge protection. Even the website says the voltage can range up to 4.2, and that's unsafe for cartomizers. Which is why theirs probably burn up so much. But Blu's customer service is actually very good. They have warranties lasting a YEAR. They also offer points refunds for burnt cartomizer packs if you just keep asking. I didn't even go through with it because I started to dislike the company, but hey, for better or worse, they're somewhat trying. They're being greedy though with those horrible burnt cartomizers. They need to invest in better technology, but they don't want to spend the money, so they probably want to put everything else out of business.

Also, one thing: if the government ever says that flavors have to be limited to tobacco and menthol, it doesn't really change much. You can put a banana flavor in and label it as tobacco. As far as I'm aware, there's virtually no way that the goverment can officially judge what tobacco is supposed to taste like in a juice. I'm sure it'd be more of the underground shops manufacturers that do this, but they'll get around it most likely. And 0 nicotine juices and flavorings cannot be regulated as far as I'm aware, unless propylene glycol turns to a controlled substance.

Last edited:

LDS714

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 27, 2013
Nashville, TN, USA
I started when I was 13 back in the '60s. So yeah, what did I know? Never heard they were bad for you until it was too late. You do have a point about fast food though. Forgot about those nice folks. :facepalm:
Yep. And many of them have not only specific foods, but also areas that are specifically designed and engineered to attract children. Save the children! Before they're too heavy to carry to safety!

ANTZ - it's really fast food that's the enemy. Sic 'em!!!!

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
Smokestack, PA, USA
The battleground is really the juice, not the devices. If you can't get juice from smaller suppliers due to regulatory requirements and a ban on Internet sales (after all, think of the children!), the party is pretty much over. You will buy BT's pre filled hardware and like it or else use whatever crap juice some huge lab makes and some local gas station decides to stock.

I think we've reached the beginning of the end for the sort of high velocity innovation we've enjoyed in the past -- the big players have been awakened (market has well exceeded 10 digits) and we're screwed.

MJTP

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2012
TN
Well, in all reality, even if it's just 0 nic juice, can't suppliers simply relabel the juice as "air freshener" and produce the same old thing with PG/VG and food flavoring and still sell it online? Same with and batteries and tanks - couldn't they label them as "perfume holders" and "Ipod chargers"? As long as it's not labeled as e-cigs and e-cig juice, I'm not sure how the government would sucessfully win a battle against a retailer for that. They haven't won that battle with glass pipes, and it took them a decade to win it with synthetic "herbs". because the retailers did the exact same thing - relabling it. The only won after a decade by specifically outlawing the specific chemical compound in synthetic "herbs", and every time they did that, the companies changed the chemical composure buy a hair, and their product was legal again. Sure, it'd cut out a vast selection of vaping goods, but some place will work around whatever law comes out. But they'd again have to ban VG/PG though for there to even be a restriction on 0 nic juice in the first place.

^Not that I support synthetic "herbs", they're one of the worst drugs on the market and I was extremely supportive of that stuff getting off the market. It literally killed or hospitalized around %25 of the people who tried it.

Last edited:

Fulgurant

ECF Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
Philadelphia, PA, USA
The problem is that if nicotine juice becomes significantly harder to purchase, everything else in the vaping market becomes less attractive, and thus less salable. None of this stuff occurs in a vacuum; although regulations are unlikely to touch hardware directly, online hardware vendors depend on online juice vendors to perpetuate interest in their business.

Likewise, juice vendors rely on the sale of nicotine. It's easy to say that they'll still be allowed to sell 0% nicotine flavored juices, but in practice? I very much doubt it'll be worthwhile for most current vendors to bother.

Ultimately, even the B&M stores rely on a healthy internet market. A lot of their suppliers, after all, make most of their money online. If that online money disappears, the supplier might disappear too, which will raise prices and reduce selection (stifle innovation) even if you shop exclusively at a local vape shop.

There's no way to remain entirely untouched by the looming threat of over-regulation, unless you already have more equipment than you'll ever need, DIY your own juices, and don't use nicotine. But that's sort of a pointless observation: if you have all of those things going for you, then you have effectively removed yourself from the market already.

Last edited:

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    At this point BT is focused on "entry level" PV's because that is where the big money is at this time. Remember that there will probably be more people try e-cigs for the first time in the next year than there are current vapors. So it makes sense from a P&L prospective.

Yes I think every major tobacco company will market an e-cig. No I do not think they will call them a Camel or Lucky Strike.

bluecat

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 22, 2012
    Cincy
    Okay explain the sudden influx of Privately owned B&M stores.. Small businesses around this country devoted to vaping.. And able to make a business of it..

these mom and pop stores where some are actively hiring just to keep up with demand that has begun to skyrocket...

Arguably better quality juice and a heightened sense of self regulation among these juice makers to ensure what were vaping is safe...

There's going to be a period where small vendors are going to be knocked out.. That's what happens when any market grows. But there's gonna be several companies that all but started out in somebody's garage that will make it big.

The biggest threat is not BT.. It's misguided regulation.

Typical of a booming industry in anything. Places spring up.. stay for a while.. once things settle some will stay in business others will go out of business. Regulations will do that.... There is a lot of trust we put into these liquid makers (There is no regulation on what goes in it)... Heck kids get busted by the cops for their lemonade stand and not the right permits these days.

EdOz

Oct 8, 2013
    Typical of a booming industry in anything. Places spring up.. stay for a while.. once things settle some will stay in business others will go out of business. Regulations will do that.... There is a lot of trust we put into these liquid makers (There is no regulation on what goes in it)... Heck kids get busted by the cops for their lemonade stand and not the right permits these days.

Yep. people seem to forget that BT had no regulation and was putting all kinds of .... in cigarettes. While we like to think the e-juice companies arent, you just don't know. Not all regulation is bad.

Last edited:

Mad Scientist

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 11, 2013
    Smokestack, PA, USA
    Well, in all reality, even if it's just 0 nic juice, can't suppliers simply relabel the juice as "air freshener" and produce the same old thing with PG/VG and food flavoring and still sell it online? Same with and batteries and tanks - couldn't they label them as "perfume holders" and "Ipod chargers"? As long as it's not labeled as e-cigs and e-cig juice, I'm not sure how the government would sucessfully win a battle against a retailer for that. They haven't won that battle with glass pipes, and it took them a decade to win it with synthetic "herbs". because the retailers did the exact same thing - relabling it. The only won after a decade by specifically outlawing the specific chemical compound in synthetic "herbs", and every time they did that, the companies changed the chemical composure buy a hair, and their product was legal again. Sure, it'd cut out a vast selection of vaping goods, but some place will work around whatever law comes out. But they'd again have to ban VG/PG though for there to even be a restriction on 0 nic juice in the first place.

^Not that I support synthetic "herbs", they're one of the worst drugs on the market and I was extremely supportive of that stuff getting off the market. It literally killed or hospitalized around %25 of the people who tried it.

You're right that it would be very difficult to regulate zero nic juice because VG and PG are widely used and available, and flavorings likewise. The trouble would be, if someone marketed a 0 nic juice as air freshener, how many would actually vape it. To really think about it sitting here, I likely wouldn't.

Then the big trick is the nicotine. No matter how you slice it, nic is nic. If everything containing nic is regulated, the job is done for practical purposes. If I can't get nic, I can't even DIY.

FlamingoTutu

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 5, 2013
    In the Mountains
    So, even at 13, did you honestly think smoking was healthy? Like if you ate an orange or had a smoke, they were about the same for you?

I think I was around age 7 when I realized candy isn't good for me. Did I stop eating candy as a result of my awareness? No. Do I blame the candy industry for my ongoing desire to eat candy? That would also be a no.

Bizarre question. I was 13, it was the ‘60s, I didn’t think about whether it was or was not healthy for me. I also didn’t think about riding my horse or bike without a helmet, wearing light colored garments in the woods to if a tick was crawling on me, that playing on the losing volleyball team might destroy my self-esteem, I might fall out of the tree I was climbing and break my neck, that in another era my parents would be criminally negligent for letting my little brother ride in the front seat of the car or any number of other things that have (fortunately or unfortunately) become common knowledge today. I sure as hell didn’t sit around comparing oranges to cigarettes but I did know sweets were bad for my teeth—my folks never let me forget that--before I was seven so I’m ahead of you there, lol.

flowerpots

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 21, 2013
    my desk
    does tobacco and alcohol fall into the same category under FDA regulations?

I don't think so, no. Tobacco is regulated by the Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act, signed by Obama is 2009.

Alcohol is regulated by the states except for the national drinking age minimum, which is federal, while tobacco is federally regulated. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited:

StarsAndBars

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 13, 2010
    Colorado
    Your point is understood but yes, some obese people do blame things like the ease of access to fast food and other junk snacks as the culprit in their health issue.

These people need to put the blame where it belongs. If an obese person lacks the self control to tell themselves 'no' to gobbling junk food, Ben and Jerry's isn't to blame, the person is. By blaming the food supplier they're saying "I don't have enough self control to take care of myself so I'm gonna make that someone else's responsibility."

Same applies to BT. I smoked for just over a decade. Do I blame BT? That would be silly. Every pack of smoke I have ever bought, started with a choice that I was in full control of. I just made the wrong choice..... many times.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread