Wotofo Recurve RDA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
The beauty of choice is that not everything can be for everybody. What's the best to me might be garbage for you and vice versa. Example: My favorite rda hands down is the Lucid but to me the Dead Rabbit is garbage. For some people the Dead Rabbit is awesome and some think the Lucid is garbage. Another example is people are always raving about the Goon. I like my Goon but don't see the hype. To me the Apocalypse and Goon 1.5 are much better RDAs. The Recurve won't be for everyone but it seems to, at a minimum, be a good rda. I'll eventually get one just because I can. I hope that makes sense.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
Hell, it requires constant attention as a squonker.
Most good squonk rdas have a flush pin to evacuate excess juice from the deck. Therefore, there's no need for a juice well. I run 75/25 in my squonkers and have yet to make it leak. It's as leak proof as any of my bf rdas. The wick in the recurve will hold as much juice as any other wick. As a dripper, I think it would be awful.

Maybe you'd be happier with a bottom fed tank, like the Split? Or there's drippers with tall bf pins......

Suomynona

May 10, 2018
I don' think it would be a good dripper (no real juice well)
I've got 2 recurves, no squonker and I'm a happy camper. You can't drip as much as in a Goon for sure, but it's still a bloody good RDA.
I'll have to say a squonker would be a real convenience, but I'm walking with my bottles everywhere anyway with my other drippers. Whether I have to redrip every 7 puffs on a recurve or every 10 puffs on another dripper, it's not such a big difference.

Suomynona

May 10, 2018
Most hyped piece of leaky junk I've bought in awhile. Should have came with a box of rags.
Care to say what you think is wrong with it? This thing doesn't leak by the way, unless you overfill and turn it upside down!

It's has quality finishing, excellent flavor, great vapor for a single coil, easy to build on, squonk and drippers pin. Premium performance for a commercial price.
Could have done with bigger juice well but that's about the only thing that I have against it.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
Yeah this is now by far my favorite single coil squonk RDA. Just a stellar vape for me with any build I've tried in it. I've had absoulety NO leaking issues at all with mine.

The airflow is so smooth it's ridiculous. Even my other half commented yesterday that I no longer sound like Darth Vader when I take a pull. This is coming from someone who doesn't even vape simply commenting on what it sounds like.

I will be ordering a few more colors when I get around to it. This has edged the Nudge 22 out for me. I'll still use the Nudge when I want something smaller, but the Recurve is a much smoother vape when I don't mind a 24mm RDA.

Suomynona

May 10, 2018
I don't get all the negative comments. This thing doesn't leak with 70/30 liquids as you can see in many review videos. You can make it leak, I agree, but you have to do an effort for it, not with normal use.
I've built it with 3mm and 4mm id coils, no issues with wicking or airflow.
Is it the very best flavour chaser? Probably not, but it scores pretty good. The package as a whole is very competitively priced, there are RDAs for premium prices that are way worse. And this thing is so flipping easy to build on too...

I really don't get all the hate.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I don't get all the negative comments. This thing doesn't leak with 70/30 liquids as you can see in many review videos. You can make it leak, I agree, but you have to do an effort for it, not with normal use.
I've built it with 3mm and 4mm id coils, no issues with wicking or airflow.
Is it the very best flavour chaser? Probably not, but it scores pretty good. The package as a whole is very competitively priced, there are RDAs for premium prices that are way worse. And this thing is so flipping easy to build on too...

I really don't get all the hate.
Yeah, I think most folks who like a single coil squonk RDA will find a lot of positives in the Recurve.

Everything isn't for everybody though and some folks have different experiences. When I have a great vape experience like this, I want to share it with others in hopes they will enjoy it as well. Not everyone will.

Also, negative opinions seem more prominent than positive ones a lot of times. Many folks only post if they dislike something or have a bad experience.

Hell I went to grab my Pulse/Recurve a few minutes ago and I'm up for the day now. Bedroom is already cloudy and I'm having too good of a vape to go back to bed. :D

Enjoy your Recurve my friend. Loving mine.

Asbestos4004

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Sugar Hill, Georgia
I really couldn't care less who uses what atty. Different strokes and all that. Furthermore, I can't stand Mike Vapes, so, hearing someone trash his rda doesn't phase me. But, calling it leaky is pretty ridiculous. ALL RDA's will leak if you over squonk or over drip. Some are easier than others to screw up. The Recurve is one of the harder ones to screw up...you really have to apply yourself to making a mess. It pains me to say the airflow is excellent, the flavor is very good, the build quality is impressive, it's very leak resistant and the price is great....CHEAP, considering the product. I have $100+ rdas that are inferior in every way.

User error will make anything crap.

BentWookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2013
SF Bay Area CA USA
Need some help with a build on this. I've tried the coils that came w/ it, regular round wire, some clapton coils. Tried placing the coils so that the top of the coils were flush with the sidewalls, tried a little below, tried a little higher. So far the flavor sucks with all the coils and placements. The flavor has not been anywhere near as good as my trusty old Zenith RDA or even the Aqua Reboot RTA.

I have tried 2.5 mm and 3 mm coils. I prefer around a .4 - .45 ohm build.

Using it on a Luxotic BF box.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks!

Edit:
Just slapped it on top of a VW mod and gave it more power. Went up to 45-50 watts. Flavor got a little better but still not very good. I don't know what I'm doing wrong here. There have been so many reviews that stated the flavor was good on this.

Last edited:
Reactions: LyLyV

LyLyV

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2018
Earth (most days)
Need some help with a build on this. I've tried the coils that came w/ it, regular round wire, some clapton coils. Tried placing the coils so that the top of the coils were flush with the sidewalls, tried a little below, tried a little higher. So far the flavor sucks with all the coils and placements. The flavor has not been anywhere near as good as my trusty old Zenith RDA or even the Aqua Reboot RTA.

Thanks!

Edit:
Just slapped it on top of a VW mod and gave it more power. Went up to 45-50 watts. Flavor got a little better but still not very good. I don't know what I'm doing wrong here. There have been so many reviews that stated the flavor was good on this.
Disclaimer - This is my first RDA, and I'm using it with my first-ever squonk mod (Pulse 80W), so I'm not going to have anything to compare it to.

The best flavor I've got from this was from a simple round SS wire - 26ga, 7-8 wraps. I'm using COTN wicks, and vaping Naked 100 Hawaiian Pog. I really love that setup. After basically frying the wicks 3 times (forgetting to squonk, mostly - grrr), the next time I was being lazy and just slapped in one of the included coils. I really don't like those very much (note that I did space them, as they don't come that way). However, either I'm just getting better at knowing when/how much to squonk, or something else, I've gone about 5 days with this wick using that coil. That being said, I'm about ready to swap out that one for one of my round wire coils that I'll make because I just like the flavor better.

All this being said.... The resin tip that came with this device (a) never did fit very securely - not as well as the spare plastic tip, and (b) it literally has cracked ... as in starting from the bottom, spiral fracture all the way on up to the top of the tip - and I have never once dropped this thing. ??? My suspicion is that I just got a bad tip, or these are faulty somehow (can't withstand the heat or ??), because all I have ever done is vape normally on it since I got it.

I am assuming this is not normal??? :/

Edit: FYI - I did email Wotofo, and they have been responsive. I'm hoping that they'll just send me an extra tip (or maybe 2 - since I'm a little afraid now of the quality of the resin tips that come with this...).

BentWookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 14, 2013
SF Bay Area CA USA
Disclaimer - This is my first RDA, and I'm using it with my first-ever squonk mod (Pulse 80W), so I'm not going to have anything to compare it to.

The best flavor I've got from this was from a simple round SS wire - 26ga, 7-8 wraps. I'm using COTN wicks, and vaping Naked 100 Hawaiian Pog. I really love that setup. After basically frying the wicks 3 times (forgetting to squonk, mostly - grrr), the next time I was being lazy and just slapped in one of the included coils. I really don't like those very much (note that I did space them, as they don't come that way). However, either I'm just getting better at knowing when/how much to squonk, or something else, I've gone about 5 days with this wick using that coil. That being said, I'm about ready to swap out that one for one of my round wire coils that I'll make because I just like the flavor better.

All this being said.... The resin tip that came with this device (a) never did fit very securely - not as well as the spare plastic tip, and (b) it literally has cracked ... as in starting from the bottom, spiral fracture all the way on up to the top of the tip - and I have never once dropped this thing. ??? My suspicion is that I just got a bad tip, or these are faulty somehow (can't withstand the heat or ??), because all I have ever done is vape normally on it since I got it.

I am assuming this is not normal??? :/

Edit: FYI - I did email Wotofo, and they have been responsive. I'm hoping that they'll just send me an extra tip (or maybe 2 - since I'm a little afraid now of the quality of the resin tips that come with this...).

You gave me an idea. I was using the 810 tip that came with it. Swapped it out for the clear one. It was a little better. Then tried the 510 adapter w/ one of my stubby 510 tips and it was a lot better. I guess the 810s arent that great unless you are using 50+ watts as it becomes too airy otherwise.

IMHO overall the flavor is now acceptable w/ the 510 tip but still not excellent compared to several others I've tried in the past.

Suomynona

May 10, 2018

Thanks!

Edit:

I had the Recurve RDA sent to me by HealthCabin for a review on ELR. I would've never bought it myself because I don't have a squonker, but I am really very happy that I have it now! It takes a bit of manual labor to keep this baby wet, agreed, but the flavor is very good.
I have no experience with the Zenith RDA, but I'd say it slightly surpasses the Tsunami 24 and Goon v1 in flavor. Nobody will say this RDA has the best flavor of all other RBAs, but it can definitely play along with the others in the premier league.

My favorite build, a 2x26g/38g SS316L fused clapton (5.5 wraps at around 0.27ohm) performs great as well as a regular 24g round wire build. I'm less impressed with the nichrome included coils in the flavor area because nichrome always gives me a bit of an off flavor.
I could never enjoy a regular round wire build in the Goon or Tsunami because it was always lacking flavor, not in this RDA. But, fancy coils like fused claptons or simple flat wire builds will always give you more flavor because there's a lot more metal surface coming in contact with your juice.

The cotton I use is regular Koh Gen Doh, but I've also tried Cotton Bacon v2 and the included cotton.
Similar to my previous experiences, CBv2 seems to mute the flavor a little bit. I think CBv2 just excels at soaking up liquid while KGD and the included cotton are a little more eager to pass the juice on to the coil and thus releasing more flavor. KGD needs a few puffs more break-in time but is so far still superior to any other wick I've tried (including rayon and hemp).

My builds are flush with the top of the build deck. You can lower the coil a tiny bit but if it's going to sit all the way at the bottom, you will lose out a little bit on flavor.

Suomynona

May 10, 2018
I have 2 Recurves and I can say they're not the same. There are slight inconsistencies between them so you telling me you've got a bad drip tip doesn't surprise me. I haven't had any issues with my drip tips and I can tell you they can easily withstand 100W going through a single coil about a mm under the drip tip. No issues, provided you have a good original drip tip.
I do have issues with other 510 drip tips. Some will fit, others not and some will sit in very loosely. The original drip tip should be a perfect fit though with all the right tolerances. You should always put some juice on the o-ring before fitting.

Wotofo has a very good customer service though. Contact them at support@wotofo.com, send them a picture, explain the issues, give them your security code (so they know it's not a fake) and they'll send you a good replacement drip tip for free ;)

LyLyV

ECF Veteran
Feb 21, 2018
Earth (most days)
I have 2 Recurves and I can say they're not the same. There are slight inconsistencies between them so you telling me you've got a bad drip tip doesn't surprise me. I haven't had any issues with my drip tips and I can tell you they can easily withstand 100W going through a single coil about a mm under the drip tip. No issues, provided you have a good original drip tip.
I do have issues with other 510 drip tips. Some will fit, others not and some will sit in very loosely. The original drip tip should be a perfect fit though with all the right tolerances. You should always put some juice on the o-ring before fitting.

Wotofo has a very good customer service though. Contact them at support@wotofo.com, send them a picture, explain the issues, give them your security code (so they know it's not a fake) and they'll send you a good replacement drip tip for free ;)

I just sent them that stuff tonight, so hopefully (not sure why they didn't just ask for that the first time, but that's just me :)
But yeah - the resin one never did fit snug. It was never what I would call a perfect fit. The spare smoke grey plastic one actually fits a lot better.

Reactions: Suomynona
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread