Not open for further replies.

Jim-

GCS E (1) + V (1) + M (1) = 3
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2013
Los Angeles County, Ca. USA
Note to self: NEVER send my Xvo to Jim(dash).

Why for? They end up neatly rewired and looking like this....

0f08bfdb04843fc292a55b49fc29fb15.jpg

[emoji2]

Sent with my communicator by Tapatalk[emoji92]

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld

[emoji2]

Looks good, Jim!

I'm concerned with the "taking it apart" piece. Particularly with the hermetically sealed connection. One person here, who took his apart just to clean it, ended up getting juice down inside, and the unit started self-firing (with the emphasis on FIRE).

I don't doubt that you know what you're doing, but I prefer to keep mine unopened for as long as I own them.

It didn't help that every email I received from Mini, telling how to take it apart, always included, "BE VERY CAREFUL!", and always ended with, "Good luck!"

:blink:

Jim-

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2013
Looks good, Jim!

I'm concerned with the "taking it apart" piece. Particularly with the hermetically sealed connection. One person here, who took his apart just to clean it, ended up getting juice down inside, and the unit started self-firing (with the emphasis on FIRE).

I don't doubt that you know what you're doing, but I prefer to keep mine unopened for as long as I own them.

It didn't help that every email I received from Mini, telling how to take it apart, always included, "BE VERY CAREFUL!", and always ended with, "Good luck!"

:blink:

Lol! I honestly did not have a choice. The Man-Goo that had welded the 510 plate to the frame was made of Vibranium I tell you!

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Lol! I honestly did not have a choice. The Man-Goo that had welded the 510 plate to the frame was made of Vibranium I tell you!

I wonder WHAT that person was THINKING!

I would recommend taking the plate off, maybe once or twice per month, and just give a good cleaning. It does tend to pickup moisture, or something. :laugh:

nevillebartos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Vic, Aus
If you have a good, strong, needlenosed tweezers, you should be able to break it free. I've done it a few times using those.

It's usually caused by the grub screw falling inside. It basically indicates that it could have been a bit tighter. Have you been able to remove the screw?

Yeah it jammed up while I was trying to adjust it so screw was loosened already, i've set it aside for now

I've had a similar problem, the fix went something like this....

9e0fefa0b8e3825f66a578ae8eb408aa.jpg

What!? how'd you get it in half like that??

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Yeah it jammed up while I was trying to adjust it so screw was loosened already, i've set it aside for now

Yeah - sorry you're going through this. Once you get it out again, what you should do is remove the screw completely when making any adjustments. Then put it back when it's ready to tighten down again. That way it won't fall in and lock the plate.

As marvelous as the devices are, they're not without imperfection. :unsure:

Jim-

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2013

What!? how'd you get it in half like that??

It's a very tight fit getting in to work on. I would caution against busting it open unless u are comfortable with that type of work. If u are, I'll PM you with some info.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Welp, I'll say job well done, Jim dash! I would NEVER have the nerve to perform surgery on my ChhhStick! No way, Jose! I do wish there was an easier way to deal with the plate issue(s), but I've found the "take your sweet time and be in a good mood" approach to work.

Hehe 11w huh? I am already up to 16.5W WHooa!
It's not the wattage I need, but some extra options in wire type, pre-heat and stuff can't hurt, especially when you don't know what the future will bring with all the deemings going on. You never know what you will like/need in the future :)

And gratz on another Xvo! I also watch the classies locally to see if I can pick up another authentic for not too much....but they are quite rare.....

Thanks, dru! I'm rather excited about the new arrival! Shhh...... don't tell DPL, but I might keep both! :lol:

(SUD, I'm joking)

16.5W?????? You daredevil, you!!

Yes it will definitely fit in there, but I rather keep the sx350j v2 they have in there right now.
Xvo has one great feature and that is that it has the best form factor/weight, Ystick has everything else, but it is considerably larger, so Xvo wins big on that front, and it's the reason I would like another one. (though the Knight comes very close, they should just have made it lighter and it would have been perfect)..

I use Ystick/Dicodes No6 at home and Xvo/Knight for out and about (ok and the Plato :) )

I don't use a Ystick and I don't have a Knight (welp, I do, but that's another story for another Forum), but I have concluded by visual interpretations that the XVO is abstolutely perfect for my needs (in hand feel, weight, durability, looks, performance). I suppose NO mod has it all.

Life Lessons Via Vaping (my new book, and you can read all about this in Chapter 17).

I do all the electronics, he does all the purty woods stuffs...not seen alot of stabilized wood side by sides out and hope the project comes together sooner rather than later.

Oh, be still my wood loving heart! Can't wait to see what you two come up with!

So the secret identity of who shat the wiring and debris inside remains a mystery. I mean a slice of a magazine page as an insulator? Seriously?

Ummmmmm.......... :facepalm:

I should have saved it but I threw it out fearing the worst... As to which magazine? My Hebrew not so good but I think it roughly translated into "The Girls of Sodom and Gomorrah, they are Smoking Hot!"

:lol:!!!!!!!!

[emoji2]

That looks splendid, Jim dash! Love it.

The Man-Goo that had welded the 510 plate to the frame was made of Vibranium I tell you!

Vibranium, eh? That what the kids are calling it now? :rolleyes:

nevillebartos

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 30, 2015
Vic, Aus
Yeah - sorry you're going through this. Once you get it out again, what you should do is remove the screw completely when making any adjustments. Then put it back when it's ready to tighten down again. That way it won't fall in and lock the plate.

As marvelous as the devices are, they're not without imperfection. :unsure:

Oh no, the grub screw is out, that's not whats jamming it. Previously when this has happened to me the plates got itself on a kind of angle, so I've been able to sort of tap it back. This time I'm not really sure though, maybe something else has got in there and is causing the problem, just impossible to get any kind of leverage on the thing to try and shimmy it loose.

It's a very tight fit getting in to work on. I would caution against busting it open unless u are comfortable with that type of work. If u are, I'll PM you with some info.

Oh yeah definitely, love a bit of DIY, only way to be sure somethings been done properly. I've seen in there before when sorting out the fire button and it does look extremely tight, but will probably be game with a few pointers. Either way, this issue will niggle me to the point where I either fix it or throw it out the window.

edit: went rambo and got it all apart, trying to get the connector out now but not sure how the section under the plate is attached? Definitely no movement in it

Last edited:

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
just impossible to get any kind of leverage on the thing to try and shimmy it loose.

I don't know if they would work in your case, but these have come to the rescue a few times for me, and once was VERY tight.
WEITUS WTS811 Scrub Straight Tweezer Maintance Tool Reviews | Best Hand Tools Recommendations

They're sharp enough that you can "jimmy" a bit, inside the hole (THAT didn't sound good!), yet strong enough to really force the plate to move. I don't recall where I bought mine from - maybe FT?

They've come in handy though - that's for sure.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
Unfortunately mine's well and truly stuck. Good news though is I grabbed a refurbed proxvo for a reasonable price, was needing a bigger battery so that works out nicely. I just bought 3 x VTC5 the other day though :(

I'm sorry, NB. :(

Reactions: Katdarling

pokemom

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 24, 2014
Lauderhill, Florida, United States
Unfortunately mine's well and truly stuck. Good news though is I grabbed a refurbed proxvo for a reasonable price, was needing a bigger battery so that works out nicely. I just bought 3 x VTC5 the other day though :(

I've heard that Vapinart has done repairs on some xvo sticks. Maybe they will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jim-

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 18, 2013
All good, dug up the vaporshark rdna to hold me down until the new xvo arrives. Hoping to transplant the chip from the busted xvo into my busted vaporflask, but man the inside of that thing makes the xvo look like a mech mod

Damn, that is saying something. I've takin an Xvo and ProXvo down to their component parts trying deal with micro USB charging port issues and thought it was cramped in both. If the VF is worse, I think I'll avoid that particular mod. And for the brass haters, a lil Palm Springs road trip photo...

6b06e3e15c152a076d8c9078b6d092a4.jpg

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Damn, that is saying something. I've takin an Xvo and ProXvo down to their component parts trying deal with micro USB charging port issues and thought it was cramped in both. If the VF is worse, I think I'll avoid that particular mod. And for the brass haters, a lil Palm Springs road trip photo...

NICE, Jim dash!

But what....... it's not hot enuf in LA? Needed a bit more temps, didya? ;)

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld

You do manage to make the brass look good, Mr. Dash, but I guess that comes with your love of it. Hats off, sir!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread