Status
Not open for further replies.

donnah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Albemarle, North Carolina
Wouldn't that mean I could only set the voltage around 2.5 - 2.7 ? Seems very low. I thought the higher the ohms/voltage the better.

The voltage goes down to 2.9v. my zap coil is 1.7ohms..gennys are better at lower ohms. Im running mine at 3.9v.

Last edited:
The Provari does have limitations on low ohm coils, but with any mechanical device you can really got a lot of power out of a low ohm coil, way more than a high ohm coil. Example:

The power that you're actually using can be measured in watts. Not sure if you are a math-person but this is the formula that explains it:

The the power P in watts (W) is equal to the squared voltage V in volts (V) divided by the resistance R in ohms (Ω)

So lets say you are running 1.5ohm setup on a freshly charged 18650 AW IMR battery, you would be pushing 4.2 volts to the coil.

4.2v x 4.2v / 1.5ohm = 11.76 watts. Lets compare this to 3ohm coil:
4.2v x 4.2v / 3ohm = 5.88

To achieve 11.76 watts on a 3ohm coil you would need 6 volts, and it would be using a thinner less durable gauge heating wire.

Just my thoughts

varivapr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 28, 2013
New York
The Provari does have limitations on low ohm coils, but with any mechanical device you can really got a lot of power out of a low ohm coil, way more than a high ohm coil. Example:

The power that you're actually using can be measured in watts. Not sure if you are a math-person but this is the formula that explains it:

The the power P in watts (W) is equal to the squared voltage V in volts (V) divided by the resistance R in ohms (Ω)

So lets say you are running 1.5ohm setup on a freshly charged 18650 AW IMR battery, you would be pushing 4.2 volts to the coil.

4.2v x 4.2v / 1.5ohm = 11.76 watts. Lets compare this to 3ohm coil:
4.2v x 4.2v / 3ohm = 5.88

To achieve 11.76 watts on a 3ohm coil you would need 6 volts, and it would be using a thinner less durable gauge heating wire.

Just my thoughts

Ive never figured it like that but you get the same answer. Ohms law breaks down like this

E=volts
I=amps
R=resistance in ohms

E=IxR
I=E/R
R=E/I

So 4.2v battery with a 1.5ohm coil

4.2/1.5=2.8amps

watts is 4.2volts x 2.8amps=11.76watts.

Amperage is more or less a measurement of current flow and can be thought of as similar to a measurement of volume when compared to water running through a pipe. Voltage is a measurement of the difference in charges between poles and can be thought of as a measurement similar to pressure when compared to water running through a pipe. Resistance is the opposition to the flow of electrons and can be thought of as a clog in the water pipe. Wattage is a measurement of total power and can be thought of as how fast a bucket at the end of the pipe would be filled with the water running out. At a set pressure (voltage) the bigger the clog (higher resistance) in the pipe, the lower the volume of water flowing through will be (lower amperage). Smaller clog (lower resistance), the more water (higher amperage). Once the coil is on the device it cannot be varied (clog doesnt change) so the only way to get more watts (fill bucket faster) is to increase voltage (pressure). The bucket getting filled is equivalent to your battery drain. faster the bucket fills the faster yer battery drains.

Thats how I taught the concept to my high school electronics class. Once you can relate the electron flow characteristics to the water in a pipe characteristics it all makes sense and can be understood and visualized easier. I know this is not actually how things are actually working at the electron level but to start to get a basic understanding of the relationships in ohms law it might help. I hope this isnt to jumbled and confusing makes sense and maybe helps someone. If not just ignore it i didnt want to complicate while trying to simplify

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread