Status
Not open for further replies.

TitanRich

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2011
Chicagoland/NWI
Boba's works best for me on 400 mesh, solid-wick. That's the setup I used to test the mini when I got it in, and I was vaping boba's out of it :)

If I wasn't about to pack it up and send it back, the next thing I would do is probably try it without the insulator in there, because the other secret to Boba's is to have the widest possible wick- that's been my experience at least. I'm sure Zen put it in there for a reason, but none of my other Genesis systems have an insulator in them, and it has never been a problem.

Yeah. None of my other gennies have insulators either. It's all in the oxidization. If it's done right, you don't really need it. But it helps to eliminate one more spot to short.

vicsan

Sparky
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 15, 2011
IL
Boba's works best for me on 400 mesh, solid-wick. That's the setup I used to test the mini when I got it in, and I was vaping boba's out of it :)

If I wasn't about to pack it up and send it back, the next thing I would do is probably try it without the insulator in there, because the other secret to Boba's is to have the widest possible wick- that's been my experience at least. I'm sure Zen put it in there for a reason, but none of my other Genesis systems have an insulator in them, and it has never been a problem.

Mike's "marketing" of the Zenesis was an "APV for EVERYONE." So easy even vicsan can do it! ;) The insulator gives one less place for a short to occur and makes it just that much easier for a rba newb to troubleshoot. I know a lot of people forgo the insulator...but that requires a very well oxidized wick.

odogg_mia

Cloud Veteran
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2012
Vegas
The one my SW came with :) so I don't know if it's 325 or 400. I'm waiting on my iPhone olloclip lens and tripod to make the fat tank wick with the thin one for the coil video :)
I'm calling it the 50/50 wick :laugh:
what kind of wick are you using odogg, straw or solid, and what type of mesh?

I wish I had known, I would have come over and said hi.

Last edited:

TitanRich

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2011
Chicagoland/NWI
Is anyone here other than me using just a silica wick (special XC-116)? No Mesh, no insulator, no hotspots & no shorts . . .

Me. But as I stated in a previous post, it started to taste a little off today. That's the only reason why I changed it. I'm still using it with other gennies.

Grammie

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2009
Virginia, Well Steeped
Me. But as I stated in a previous post, it started to taste a little off today. That's the only reason why I changed it. I'm still using it with other gennies.

Are you using it with a ss mesh insert?

I can hardly believe the wick is still white in the tank (with all my dark coffee juice). Cleans up really easy too, just empty the tank, heat up the coil and dunk/swish (thanks vicsan for the tidbits of tricks)!

j4mmin42

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2009
Arcata, Cali
Mike's "marketing" of the Zenesis was an "APV for EVERYONE." So easy even vicsan can do it! ;) The insulator gives one less place for a short to occur and makes it just that much easier for a RBA newb to troubleshoot. I know a lot of people forgo the insulator...but that requires a very well oxidized wick.

Ah good to know that other people have been taking the plastic out as well- I'll be doing it with whatever gets sent back to me from Jason.

I've been into the genesis devices now for quite awhile, but I've always been into the DIY stuff. These days, I spend a good deal of time posting in the RBA forum and my blog, and testing new builds and devices...and I do have to say, there are a lot of things about the Zenesis that I thought were pretty impressive compared to all of the Chinese builds that I've been using lately. I really liked the build quality- I knew it would be good, but taking off the bottom cap for the first time was when I realized just how great it was. And as far as ease-of-use, I think you're right- If I wouldn't have rebuilt the whole thing as soon as I took it out of the package, it would have been the easiest Genny system out-of-box that I have seen so far.

the ob

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2011
Portlandia
Evening all.

So I decided to test the voltage while the unit was on with a fresh battery. Freshly charged, reported at 4.16V. Tested on the negative and positive posts, 3.66V. Is that normal to experience that much of a drop? This is on an SS mini.

I have no idea. I am still not even sure how to measure voltage on these things :)

TitanRich

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2011
Chicagoland/NWI
Are you using it with a ss mesh insert?

I can hardly believe the wick is still white in the tank (with all my dark coffee juice). Cleans up really easy too, just empty the tank, heat up the coil and dunk/swish (thanks vicsan for the tidbits of tricks)!

No. Not using the P54 Chimichanga method. I just use it as a straight wick. It works very well. You just have to use less wraps because it's so fat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread