Status
Not open for further replies.

p.opus

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Coral Springs FL
I personally can't wait for the Affordable Health Care act to death spiral so that we can dismantle it and come up with a common sense health care policy instead of the train wreck that was passed without most people even reading it's content.

It would be interesting if some vapers were to file anti-discrimination charges against the employers and insurance companies that do this.

If an employer or insurance company wants to not hire smokers because of health risks that's there business, but using a nicotine test for the basis of tobacco use is flawed. Since a primary method of smoking cessation is the use of NRT, one could argue that a person is being penalized for actually trying to comply with the regulation.

It would be a very interesting court case, as I would think that these employers and insurance companies would need to prove:

a: nicotine in one's system means a person is indeed smoking and not exposed by some other method
b: The presence of nicotine in one's system alone constitutes a big enough health risk to justify such regulation.

I doubt anyone would be able to prove any of the above significantly to survive a court challenge.

Just to be safe, I am already weaning myself off of the nicotine. All my recent juice purchases have been zero nic and I going to be nic free in the next 90 days or so. That gives me over 6 months nic free before the next enrollment period comes around.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I remember a time when if an Employer tried to Discriminate against someone who used Tobacco Products, that they would be Sued and Dragged thru the Mud in the Media.

Today, Nicotine Testing has become commonplace, the NSA listens to my phone calls and reads my e-Mails, and Drones fly over most Cites.

Damn. What Happened? Did we Lose a War or Something?

:blink:

JollyRogers

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2009
Virginia
I remember a time when if an Employer tried to Discriminate against someone who used Tobacco Products, that they would be Sued and Dragged thru the Mud in the Media.

Today, Nicotine Testing has become commonplace, the NSA listens to my phone calls and reads my e-Mails, and Drones fly over most Cites.

:blink:
We did. The day the twin towers where hit. It totally changed America and terrorism has been the excuse for a lot of infringements of our rights.

The nicotine tests are just another example of capitalism working for the corporations. They consider us a higher risk, hence no job or additional costs for insurance. Next you will have to pass a physical fitness test and body fat test, or pay additional insurance fees… They would charge extra for other reasons, like gender, or race, or sexual lifestyle, based on statistics that show chances of certain illnesses, but then they would be crossing the line and would definitely get called out. The ants have engrained into society that nicotine = bad, so they can get away with it.

SmellYaLaterCigs

ECF Veteran
Aug 8, 2013
United States
It's becoming more common. The employers who contribute to health insurance can save money on that insurance by not hiring smokers and demanding that employees quit smoking. All the more reason we need to separate health insurance from work. I don't want or need my employer to know of any medical related thing going on with me, and I'd like my employer to stay the /&:mad::83 out of my private, medical, business.

I thought it was more about increasing productivity? Someone taking a 10 minute break once an hour to smoke is substantially less productive than someone who doesn't need to step out and get their fix.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
I thought it was more about increasing productivity? Someone taking a 10 minute break once an hour to smoke is substantially less productive than someone who doesn't need to step out and get their fix.

Are they? My lot spend that time messing about on FB or on their phones.

Productivity is not measured by time sat still and nicotine free now is it?

T

second2none

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2009
Sinking Spring, Pa.

:blink:[/QUOTE

Sure did ! you know the Russians always claimed they would take over America without firing a single shot.

The scary thing is its always been said the Cia and Russians killed Kennedy and none other than George H. Bush was head of the Cia back then, Sure causes one to wonder.

Ld3441

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Florida, USA
I'm upset by employers who test applicants for nicotine and have a "no hire" policy for "smokers". Apparently vapers test out positive and can't be hired, neither can nic gum users or patch users. Question: How do they test for nicotine; breath or blood serum? How long does it take for nicotine to clear your system if one goes to 0nic vaping? I may be moving soon and would like to have no road blocks getting a job in new state. Anyone know about this?

I have not read the entire thread so this may have been said. It is not your state. I live in Florida and my company does not have this policy. They are however starting Jan. 1st charging a higher premium for health coverage if you are a tobacco user. Tobacco user is as the company defines it and they all define it differently. My company does not include e-cigs in tobacco use but many do.

I don't think moving to another state is going to change anything for you. This is happening everywhere.

Ld3441

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 29, 2013
Florida, USA
Thanks for the replies. I'm a Registered Nurse, which I have always been able to find a job where ever I lived. However, I find this is now the rule rather than the exception with hospitals. Where I presently work is putting this policy into effect the first of the year, although current employees will be exempt. How much more intrusive will things get? Is caffeine next???

As a RN you will find this policy just about everywhere. It is sad but true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread