Status
Not open for further replies.

Capt.shay

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
W. Ma. U.S.A.
The Obama care Tax its 20,000 and counting pages of rules and regulations gives insurance medical company's free reign to wreak all sorts of havoc.
BTW this is what 20,000 pages looks like If you follow the money who will profit from The Obama care tax? So yes I believe this travesty of legislation is just the beginning of fare worse intrusive insurance regulations on our day to day lives!

Even if your dooms day scenario plays out like that (and it wont), It still has nothing to do with the testing policy we are talking about. I'm sure their are plenty of political forums you can play Rush on and spread your fear as the country works to make sure all Americans have health coverage.

So again, thanks for sharing but you are still mistaken. The affordable health care act has nothing to do with this testing or topic.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Even if your dooms day scenario plays out like that (and it wont), It still has nothing to do with the testing policy we are talking about. I'm sure their are plenty of political forums you can play Rush on and spread your fear as the country works to make sure all Americans have health coverage.

So again, thanks for sharing but you are still mistaken. The affordable health care act has nothing to do with this testing or topic.

Im glad you are not a moderator then. I simply stated my opinion to the OPs post you are the one arguing your political agenda.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
Well, once again, I think this policy is way flawed, but it began in 2007 (at least the framework that Detroit based hospitals are patterning themselves after). I am free to smoke and or engage in nicotine consumption, and in some states, employers are free to not hire me if I do.

Cleveland Clinic no-smoking policy has locals talking - Cincinnati Business Courier

"A 2006 employee survey found 10 respondents in the area who did not hire workers who smoked. (The survey, by the Employer Health Care Alliance, was sent to 1,250 employers; 360 responded.) Seven employers said they fired current workers who kept smoking. Three tested for tobacco use."

Whatever the case for starting this (in hospitals or wherever), the point is we need to be aware of it and work together as nicotine users to figure out the best course of action. Why some were doing this in 2006 and all the way to 2013 is really irrelevant.

I think what's important is giving the OP helpful advice and or tools to get around this. Irrespective of political affiliation, we're in the same boat on this one.

bhswmc01

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 9, 2013
Boise, Idaho, United States
There's an insurance company here that has a disclaimer saying that new hires are tested for, and must attest to no TOBACCO usage for 6 months. Reading that, I would assume that this does not include PVs. I have a ways to go before I get to 6 months, but after that, should I feel safe applying? Currently unemployed now, but they usually have jobs that I'd like to apply for.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
There's an insurance company here that has a disclaimer saying that new hires are tested for, and must attest to no TOBACCO usage for 6 months. Reading that, I would assume that this does not include PVs. I have a ways to go before I get to 6 months, but after that, should I feel safe applying? Currently unemployed now, but they usually have jobs that I'd like to apply for.

One would hope so, but it might depend on the sensitivity of the test for nic? More research might be in order... Unless they'd take your word that you get all your nic vaping. (Yeah. Right.)

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
If you vape zero-nic, be aware that anything with tobacco flavour may not actually be 0 nic, it may have nicotine content. This is because some tobacco flavours as supplied have significant nic content. It is also the reason why lab tests of e-liquid sometimes succeed in finding nic in 0 nic liquid, and they then report, "Bottles labelled zero nicotine were shown to contain some nicotine content".

The reason why an insurance company that has legitimate reasons for excluding smokers (for example if there is a flat-rate premium for employees and smokers may cost more in the end) will exclude anyone testing positive for nicotine, even if the source is NRT, is because almost all NRT users are smokers on vacation and will soon be smokers again. The failure rate for NRTs is about 95% - so 95% of people who test positive for nic and tell you that 'it's only NRT' will soon be smoking again. In fact you might say that NRT use is almost a guarantee you found a smoker.

Vaping is too new to have any actuarial data and insurance is all about the actuaries deciding the rates. Come back in 25 years.

To pass a test, vape 0-nic non-tobacco flavour for a week; drink at least 2 litres of water and fruit juice a day; take some diuretics to be on the safe side; and do not exercise hard for 12 hours before the test, this includes running for a bus to get to the interview. This is because you don't want to burn fatty tissue as it can hold some materials that will be liberated into the bloodstream. That should get you through the test.

There is absolutely nothing immoral or unethical in beating a test of this kind if you are a vaper and ex-smoker. New technology has overtaken old tech and there is a clear disconnect between what the desired result is and how they measure for it: they want a non-smoker and they are getting a non-smoker. Nicotine consumption is all but harmless and everyone has the right to supplement their dietary consumption if they so choose. Nicotine is not associated with cancer, heart disease or vascular disease; it is associated with better work performance in those who need supplements. It's like coffee. We know what the health consequences of nicotine consumption are: unidentifiable (too small to show up statistically, if any).

Last edited:

rolygate

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2009
ECF Towers
Incidentally there was a numerical error in an earlier post about how much nicotine is in aubergines:

1 ug (1 µg if this prints OK here) = 1 millionth of a gram or 1/1,000th of a mg
A 100gms portion of aubergine contains 10ug nic (ten microgrammes, 10 µg)
So 1 portion delivers 10 millionths of a gm or 10 thousandths of a mg
This is about what a non-smoker would absorb from 30 hours in a lightly smoky room (maybe 20 hours in a heavily smoky room)

peterforpats

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 3, 2013
rounding third and heading home...
the question they will ask is "do you use nicotine?" so you say no, flunk the test and they don 't hire you. you say yes, they don't hire you. you say no, pass the test and they hire you. two months in someone sees you vaping somewhere and you are fired(I know, you will never get caught). if you want the job badly enough and you are able to quit long enough to pass a test how about this novel approach- stay off it for good. as much as I loved to smoke, as much as I love to vape now, I bet being off anything is the healthiest and best feeling.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
the question they will ask is "do you use nicotine?" so you say no, flunk the test and they don 't hire you. you say yes, they don't hire you. you say no, pass the test and they hire you. two months in someone sees you vaping somewhere and you are fired(I know, you will never get caught). if you want the job badly enough and you are able to quit long enough to pass a test how about this novel approach- stay off it for good. as much as I loved to smoke, as much as I love to vape now, I bet being off anything is the healthiest and best feeling.
The problem is whats next? Its a jump but what about when genetic predisposition is a requirement for employment? We are sorry you are a grate candidate for the job but you have a high risk for heart attack acording to our tests so your to much of a insurance risk to hire.
If this sounds crazy so dose a super computer in Utah to store all of out data that they promise wont ever be used against us.

Mr.Mann

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 30, 2011
All over the place
If you vape zero-nic, be aware that anything with tobacco flavour may not actually be 0 nic, it may have nicotine content. This is because some tobacco flavours as supplied have significant nic content. It is also the reason why lab tests of e-liquid sometimes succeed in finding nic in 0 nic liquid, and they then report, "Bottles labelled zero nicotine were shown to contain some nicotine content".

The reason why an insurance company that has legitimate reasons for excluding smokers (for example if there is a flat-rate premium for employees and smokers may cost more in the end) will exclude anyone testing positive for nicotine, even if the source is NRT, is because almost all NRT users are smokers on vacation and will soon be smokers again. The failure rate for NRTs is about 95% - so 95% of people who test positive for nic and tell you that 'it's only NRT' will soon be smoking again. In fact you might say that NRT use is almost a guarantee you found a smoker.

Vaping is too new to have any actuarial data and insurance is all about the actuaries deciding the rates. Come back in 25 years.

To pass a test, vape 0-nic non-tobacco flavour for a week; drink at least 2 litres of water and fruit juice a day; take some diuretics to be on the safe side; and do not exercise hard for 12 hours before the test, this includes running for a bus to get to the interview. This is because you don't want to burn fatty tissue as it can hold some materials that will be liberated into the bloodstream. That should get you through the test.

There is absolutely nothing immoral or unethical in beating a test of this kind if you are a vaper and ex-smoker. New technology has overtaken old tech and there is a clear disconnect between what the desired result is and how they measure for it: they want a non-smoker and they are getting a non-smoker....

Great advice. Great advice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread