Help! Need a new job. Yikes, nic test!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kookie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2010
Detroit, Michigan, United States
I want to get a new job. It is at a hospital. They have a no smoking policy and they will not hire smokers. They test new hires for nicotine. I consider myself as a nonsmoker now, but obviously since I vape I will have nicotine in my system. (Been vaping for the last six months.) BTW, I also exclusively vape WTA e-juice. I don’t know if that would be any worse for getting around the nicotine test. Does anyone know how long it takes to clear out the nic in your system to pass the test? I’ve read a few days to months. I don’t know. It’s not clear. I need the new job.
:(

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA

bazmonkey

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2013
Oakland, CA
From what I understand, the figures for how long nicotine is detectable by drug test works like his: take a non-smoker, give him a dose of nicotine, and check till the test comes back negative.

I don't mean to discourage you, but having smoked/vaped for what I assume was several years, you're probably at the far end of how long it will take to clear out. If you tested clear within two weeks I'd be personally quite surprised. Your body probably has nicotine everywhere a body *can* have nicotine, you know?

Maybe this job is enough incentive to bite the bullet and quit it all? It wouldn't be the worst thing...

bazmonkey

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2013
Oakland, CA
Peppers and tomatoes are listed.. I just did a quick scan of Google results of the search "foods with nicotine"

So I wonder what levels are detectable and label you a smoker?

Check out the concentration of nicotine in common vegetables: Research

No one who eats a lot of vegetables will ever be mistaken for a smoker. There's only one feasible way to get that much nicotine, and it's tobacco. You'd have to eat about... 250 kilos of fresh tomatoes to get a milligram of nicotine. Eggplant has the strongest concentration of edible vegetables: one kilogram of eggplant has a MASSIVE *10 billionths of a gram* of nicotine in it.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
check with an attourney.

Job Applicant Nicotine Testing Raises Host of Legal Issues | Law Office of William M. Julien, P.A. | Boca Raton, Florida

don't lie. if they ask, you do not smoke. That is the truth!! vaping produces vapor and smoking produces smoke.
follow MOST of the suggestions of the poster in that other thread, but don't do the adulteration stuff unless you are comfortable with it. they are, after all cheating themselves by requiring you to prove that you do not use a substance that has never been proven to be harmful in small doses.

spartanstew

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 29, 2013
Wylie, Texas
Most traces of nicotine will be gone in 1 week, and sometimes as little as 4 days. You can speed up the process by drinking lots of water and eating lots of Vitamin C fruits.

About 10 years ago I had to get a physical for new health insurance where I was claiming to be a non-smoker (and wasn't). I quit for 1 week and passed with flying colors.

bazmonkey

ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2013
Oakland, CA
What happened to the second-hand smoke that supposedly gets in your system? Can they refuse to hire someone who lives with a smoker?

What about if you're using the gum or patch?

The gum/patch question is interesting. I'd like to know how they handle cases like that.

In the link I posted earlier in this thread about nicotine in vegetables, it gave one microgram (millionth of a gram, thousandth of a mg) as the amount of nicotine a "passive" smoker gets in a room with a "minimal" amount of tobacco smoke for three hours.

"Minimal" here is like a cigarette smoked in a room. Most of the air is still air, you know?

In other words, second-hand smokers would also have far lower concentrations than a smoker, a vaper, or someone taking NRT. A nicotine test should have no trouble differentiating. The nicotine isn't what's bad for the second-hand smokers-- it's the smoke. Second-hand smokers show the same symptoms as firefighters exposed to too much smoke occupationally.

Again, intaking tobacco or a tobacco derivative (like e-juice) is the only way to realistically fail one of these tests. A non-smoker can't just stumble on getting that much nicotine in themselves.

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
What's next?

Alcohol testing? Will they also be testing for the substances delivered by high fructose corn syrup in those massive soda cups?

What about caffeine? We can't have employees with the cafe shakes now, can we?

What about the poor guy who likes rum and coke at night and shakes off the mild hangover with two or three strong cups of joe?

I'll shovel manure for minimum wage before I sign on with an outfit that expects to control that much of my life.

Edit to add: I can understand employers wishing to control health insurance costs by encouraging healthy behavior. But this heavy handed approach is not the right way to go about it. The right way is negotiating with a local gym for a group rate, hiring counselors and offering rebates or bonuses for the good behavior and fines or no bonuses for the bad. The carrot always works better than the stick.

Last edited:

J138

Mar 21, 2013
Los Angeles
This seems illegal. I doubt that is the only thing they will test your blood for. They could easily screen you for certain diseases then disqualify you because of them. This is a red flag to me. Any company that would do this is going to be very oppressive once you get in. If I read correctly you are in Detroit, which I know is a rough job market. Have you considered moving? The city is bankrupt and corrupt. There are plenty of places which life is much easier.

tidegirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
Panama City, FL
This seems illegal. I doubt that is the only thing they will test your blood for. They could easily screen you for certain diseases then disqualify you because of them. This is a red flag to me. Any company that would do this is going to be very oppressive once you get in. If I read correctly you are in Detroit, which I know is a rough job market. Have you considered moving? The city is bankrupt and corrupt. There are plenty of places which life is much easier.

Unfortunately, until enough people get together to be able to challenge it, there is nothing to do but take it or find another job. From the article kena posted, maybe we are getting close to that happening.

All of our hospitals are tobacco free now, but luckily they haven't taken it this far. The policy specifically states that you are not required to quit, but are not allowed to use tobacco (Including vaping) on hospital property.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread